Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

was a fan of the trailer, and i think i just may be buying one of the games. while i liked Shining Pearl i think in retrospect a lot of that's because i hadn't played a mainline Pokemon game in over a decade and i was just happy to be back. a non-remake game+seeing they're implementing Arceus elements and i'm pretty sold. thank you GameFreak, and Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

thank you Nintendo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

been playing some classic Zelda games via the Online NES/SNES/GBA apps and i gotta say they've all been great services so far & i wish i had really checked em out sooner cuz it rocks to have all these games altogether. thank you Nintendo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I will not thank Nintendo until they release Pokemon Emerald.

they did, in 2004 :twisted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

elf help book posted:

For every day that you do not thank Nintendo, I will thank them twice.

when there was only one set of footprints in the sand, that was when Nintendo was carrying the video game market

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

KingSlime posted:

Do all the exploits and glitches, games are like toys where getting to open them up and learn how they work or even just break them can be a ton of fun on its own

hmmm. no

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

I agree that messing around with bugs and cheats and such can be real fun, but IMO is generally best saved for after you've beaten the game normally.

And yeah, single-player games only.

yeah i beat LttP today and then afterwards did the glitch where you beat it in five minutes. it was amusing but like. hollow w/ no feeling of accomplishment lol.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I generally play games like a normal person. I am normal

you use save states and action replay codes and are proud of it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Upsidads posted:

This will be the system seller that will make or break the worst selling console ever

huh

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

but it would be kind of freaking epic if it was

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

KingSlime posted:

Yep pretty much make every 2d game Castlevania and every 3d game elden ring and I feel like this would fix most of humanity's problems

thank you

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The nintendo switch..... What a console

aye

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Thinking of purchasing Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX, exclusive on Nintendo Switch.

the Dungeon games were fun as a kid but i bounced off DX early on...not sure what changed

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

LeFishy posted:

So I made the mistake of buying ToTK using the vouchers so now I have another voucher burning a hole in my pocket. Making the relatively safe assumption that ToTK is the last big game on this thing (Pikmin 4 sort of interests me but I never clicked with 3) I figure I am limited to the list as it exists now. The problem is there are a lot of games on that list that I want a lot!

Here's my shortlist:
Fire Emblem Engage
Metroid Dread
Skyward Sword
Hyrule Warriors AoC
Link's Awakening
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Hyrule Warriors DE

Does anyone have any specific things to warn me off? I think AoC has some pretty hefty performance problems.

The last FE I played was Awakening? It was on DS I think and I think it had Lucina in? I liked it but back then I never stuck with a game (some things never change, I'll finish XC3 one day I promise...).

I have never finished a metroid or any metroidvania for that matter so Dread is somewhat tempting as a supposedly more accessible entry in the series?

Link's Awakening was my favourite Zelda until BoTW but I also really loved Skyward Sword but am a lefty so struggled to actually play the game back in the day.

Warriors games just kind of look like a good time? Are they like EDF at all I just want a game where I kill hundreds of things.

These are my notes and my request, please help me.

not a warning as much as a recommendation, but speaking as someone who's beaten Three Houses twice and is partway through two other playthroughs and is halfway through Engage at the moment, both feel like quite different games but i also really, really like both. i haven't played Awakening but if i had to guess, Engage would be closer to it than 3H. can't go wrong either way tho

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

American McGay posted:

Get Kirby and the Forgotten Land instead.

you know what, yea

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

LeFishy posted:

I tried Kirby a while back and it just didn’t do it for me :( I played the first couple of levels and then put it down until my sister asked for it back.

skill issue

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Len posted:

I get that this is a thread dedicated to Nintendo but y'all are being weird about this game

i love Nintendo and hate you

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Xbox..... epic fail. Sony...... epic fail AAAids. truly this is the year of Nintendo, and the year of Gaming

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Len posted:

and either way the Wintendo crowd will take personal offense to me not liking the worst zelda

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

personally i believe the issue is instead those who caved into impatience to play it early, but Shiggy will deliver divine retribution unto them soon enough. amen

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

no because i only just started Ocarina of Time, still a lot of titles i need to catch up with first

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

An Actual Princess posted:

oh i'm jealous of you if you're getting to play oot for the first time. it's god tier

it is indeed the first time :cheerdoge:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

NEVER BE
GAME JOURNALIST

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

Why play Xenoblade when you can play Dragon Quest?

i can play both thanks to the power of the free market

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

American McGay posted:

Actually I was trolling by copy/pasting some idiot from this thread’s previous post in response to someone playing Super Mario Bros. for the first time. If you use save states or rewind you’re a little bitch and I hate you. Get owned.

lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

KingSlime posted:

I loved it! But it was definitely a divisive Zelda and ToTK isn't aiming to address any of the major gripes folks had w botw

divisive in separating true gamers from philistines

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

I'm typing it not saying it Stux.

hurrr

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

Hmmmm. Continue to have incredibly successful games that sell tens of millions of copies within the first week OR make a game that will sell five to six million copies in its entire life time. Tough choice!

ingenuity is dead

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

This would mean fewer open-world Zelda games and that's bad.

the net amount of Zelda would increase...the opposite of a problem imo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

thank you Nintendo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

Fishing sucks rear end gently caress fishing I’m glad I haven’t got to fish for poo poo

Murdstone posted:

I never enjoyed fishing and I’m glad it’s not in the new game.

hmmm ban

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

hatty posted:

The GameCube is the best looking console prove me wrong

it's not a cube

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Thunder Bear posted:

TOTK is GOTY (if not GOAT) but Engage is my personal favorite of the year.

Engage is so extremely win and there's basically nothing i can fault it for. god i love Nintendo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

I feel like I must have been playing Engage wrong because I had really mixed feelings about it. I had a blast with it at first, then by the late game I was just trying to finish it so I could move onto something else. :/

I really wanted to engage (hah) with the mechanics, but I felt like the game was giving me mixed messages a lot of times.

Like for instance the Emblem abilities were really fun! But I didn't feel like I ever had enough points to learn anything but the basic ones. You could get more points by doing the side skirmishes, but those were scaled to your highest level character, so they got really punishing really quickly. I was playing on Casual and thank goodness because those skirmishes would often chew through more than half my army!

I also made the mistake of going in on the Donation mechanic early in the game, so I was incredibly strapped for cash for pretty much the whole game and could never afford to upgrade my weapons. You can get extra money and ore for upgrades from the side skirmishes, but again. They're punishing.

So... yeah. I see all the praise it gets and I wonder what I could have done differently to have a better time with it. :(

sounds like to me you could've not blown all your money on donations immediately. been spacing those out to a comfortable degree. also skirmishes have always been tricky, they only became CBT for me after chapter 11 but even then promoting as many of my main units as i could helped tip the balance back. now granted i'm also on casual and doing those on classic comes off as miserable, but i'm also not someone who likes tweaking/micromanaging stuff more than i have to so that's probably the ticket either way

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah I realize now that I shouldn't have spent my money on the donations but I didn't realize that at the time, and by the time I realized it, it was way too late.

you were wondering what you could've done differently. budgeting both in games and irl, ftw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ogmius815 posted:

Dedede is my favorite Nintendo character and if he is dead I WILL scream.

fentanyl overdose in San Jose last month. i'm sorry

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

interesting start to a post

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dr. Cool Aids posted: