Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Achmed Jones posted:

i might buy splatoon 3. but ive never played splatoon, dont much care for competitive multiplayer, and am just kinda "whatever" about shooters

ok maybe i shouldnt buy splatoon 3.

but if it has a single player mode i probably will

They all have single player, a fun campaign mode. But for 1 and 2 at least, I would say those modes are too short to be worth buying the game of single player is what you're mostly into. Maybe 3's will be bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The thing is on the Wii every N64 title they emulated they built a custom emulator specifically for that title.

On the WiiU they built one more generic emulator that has patches to run differently on a per game basis, and these are applied at runtime, which contributes to input lag, and makes things overall less accurate.

But it's all still extremely close to where only hardcore hobbyists could tell you the difference in most cases.

However the other factor is people played N64 on CRTs with wired controllers. And even on the Wii, most people were still playing on a CRT. So the input lag of a wireless Bluetooth controller on an LCD television is going to seem extremely noticeable by comparison. And the natural way CRTs run often make the deficiencies of older games less noticeable as well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tampa Bae posted:

Nintendo is bad at supply and or demand, around this time last year I had to have bots set up to buy a Switch for my friend because other bots were buying the stock out the second it was available.

Then Amiibos and Animal Crossing Switches too, yeah. They'll ship 100 to a city where thousands want a product.

Isn't that more of a retail distribution issue? Target/GameStop/etc buys the units and decides where to allocate them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Online works if everybody involved has a good connection. If your online isn't working either you have a lovely collection or your friend does

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spacebump posted:

Did someone alter this video or does this really happen on the emulator?
https://twitter.com/chiguinoki/status/1455693413886611464

That's not the emulator, it's the connection. They have a bad connection that is stuttering frame by frame. SNES and NES emulator uses rollback and you don't get this kind of effect, but N64 doesn't for some reason and requires both sides to be perfectly synced.

As to why they are playing a single player game multiplayer, you can do that to show the game to your friend or move a little cursor around on screen to show your friend where to go.

It's weird that they don't use rollback in this because they recently started using it in their games and even changing already released games like Super Mario Party to use it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kirios posted:

It's people with awful connections blaming Nintendo for them not understanding basic networking.

To be clear it is still Nintendo problem to an extent. They can make things like this work even over poor connection. And they do sometimes! Mario Party Superstars plays perfectly even if half the people have really bad connections.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ring Fit is the tenth best selling Nintendo switch game at 12.2 million, that's pretty nuts

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dragon Quest 11S: An interesting shift from Square Enix but where are all my favorite traditional Square Enix staples like Chocobos and Moogles? This is like final fantasy without the cyberpunk

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Which fusions in SMTV get the hottest anime demon babes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Persona is far more popular than SMT, but making your review about comparison between the two series is extremely dumb primarily because most people have never played either. Especially most Nintendo owners.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I was told my OLED Switch is currently stuck in a processing center and it'd be weeks before I'd likely receive it due to the place being short-staffed...

And then it turned up this afternoon! :bubblewoop:. It's definitely not worth replacing an existing Switch if you have one already, but it is very nice! (For the record mine's getting replaced because it's a launch Switch with the dodgy fan and I can see a bulge in the corner of the screen and :yikes:.)

Edit: The new docking station is very nice and much better than the old one. Would've liked that third USB port kept somewhere on it though (the internal one is replaced with a sorely-needed Ethernet port at least), as if you've got the Smash adapter it's gonna take them both.

Edit2: Okay, one minor nitpick; If you're gonna go for the whole monochrome colour scheme Nintendo, why not use the white JoyCon covers from the Skyward Sword set rather than the regular black ones? They pair so nicely with the new white JoyCons! :colbert:

That's just where the extra graphics go when you are running something easy like a 2d game. Run some high powered 3d games and it'll flatten right out

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario Party fuckin rules.

I bought a golden pipe then landed on a hidden block which had an item bag, which had another golden pipe in it. Then someone got the star and the new one appeared in front of me.

Went from zero stars to 3 in turns 5, 4, and 3.

On turn 2, two different players used boo to steal my star, putting me in last place with 1 star to everybody else's two.

On the last turn I landed on a hidden block which was a star but I had far fewer coins than the other player I was tied with. Then that player landed on Bowser space and lose a star, putting me in first.

They won exactly one more minivans then I did and got the first bonus star, but I landed on the most red spaces and got the second bonus star and won.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Look on the bright side, you have another five days to ponder why they didn't include the DX version of Link's Awakening.

I'm glad actually, DX until this release has been the only way you can play the original outside of owning the cartridge. The original has some really fun glitches to play around with.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nope, though without wall jumping a lot of sections would be tougher

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

phew the diamond leaks that came out today are looking pretty rough

but I didn't know following pokemon was back, that's nice

What leaks are those. Spill the deets

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

somebody got the game early and played through the majority of it live before going dark (c&d implied)

https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1457573487418163202

https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1457573490056384514?t=m6viTRaBn0RMMAUgthu9lA&s=19

What does the music being unfinished even mean? My guess would be that it doesn't loop properly?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't use tms. Just use hyper beam. Only move you need

Vvvvvv from my understanding Swoshi is made a lot better by the dlc but I ain't buying that. I think the base game is pretty lacking. But the expansion pass stuff is better than anything ever added to third versions was apparently

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 8, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is anyone else in this thread Nintendependent?

https://twitter.com/CursedMario/status/1456414763995570177?t=syQGeqad50jZl2UDyB0_ew&s=19

(Watch till the end)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gen 2 mons were pretty bad imo apart from a handful. I tried to go through catching and training only new ones and you can't really do it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is final remix the new one or the port

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looper posted:

their distribution is hosed up but gen2 mons kick rear end. cyndaquil, quilava, furret, sneasel, tyranitar, misdreavous, espeon, umbreon, hitmontop, totodile, feraligatr, scizor, steelix, mareep, flaafy, ampharos, wooper, quagsire, chinchou, swinub, delibird, lugia, ursaring, xatu, teddiursa, donphan, skarmory.... need i go on?

You're right, it is really more of a distribution issue

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harrow posted:

Actual lol

I can't believe Nintendo killed a local journalist live on tv

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lol Gamefreak

https://twitter.com/JeeringBaka/status/1458163248935718914?s=19

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they haven't made all the mainline games in this fashion I'd be shocked.

In places like the US it also means not paying unemployment for those people. :capitalism:

Probably not the GB gens. Depending on version every monster has different sprites in those versions and space was a legitimate concern.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Diamond/Pearl was kind of the first gen where you no longer needed a friend with the other version, because of the global trading system

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why do they call it a Pokemon when you poke in the ball and out of fight the mon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I ordered from GameStop and I haven't got the shipping notice yet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kraids belly attacks are absolutely shootable for health and ammo. I think there's one color of it that isn't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Erg posted:

My memory of bosses is getting about 6-8 hits before dying if I was getting some incidental health refills from their trash attacks/counters which seemed right to me

Yeah that's about right.

You know how in Zelda bosses basically have a pattern and you gotta do the pattern usually three times for a total of 8-9 hits?

Well in Metroid you are the boss. They gotta hit you 8 or 9 times

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lowtax dead

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If there's one tax that isn't low it's Nintendo's

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

b_d posted:

clicking 10000 times on this

Hillary Clinton was right!!!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only twitch I care about is dancer Stephen Boss

Justin.io stole his fuckin name and they should pay him millions of dollars

Edit: Oh wait also I like Amouranth cause I'm only human god drat

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 11, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was probably in reference to twitch, which aside from videogames has a lot of sexy men and women on it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

hatty posted:

The opposite of Mario is Wario it’s pretty clear in the lore

No, Wario is the cosecant of Mario

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They look like poo poo I think, but in a good way

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The split pad pro looks pretty cool but it does bug me that it doesn't have rumble

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barreft posted:

that does suck i agree but you get like abn extra 3 hours before your hands cramp and die

Now a days I mostly actually use tabletop mode thanks to the improved kickstand

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Commander Keene posted:

I honestly could not care less about rumble; I'm more likely to miss the gyro. But the Split Pad Pro supposedly has a much better D-Pad and games generally don't need both a good D-Pad and gyro at the same time, so it should be fine.

In handheld games are supposed to use the gyro in the actual switch unit anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just tried twitch. Wow with these Sony playstation headphones on(USB dongle in switch dock), it really does feel like Amouranth is whispering right in your ear. I swear you can feel her breath. What an amazing technology.