Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DC Murderverse posted:

See I take the opposite view of this: the fact that they settled means that there was something in the case that would have hosed them hard and quick. Emulation is legal but there are precautions you have to take to make sure it doesn’t utilize any of the console maker’s IP and I’m guessing they found something incriminating enough that a deal became the right call, especially since Nintendo has no qualms about suing people into perma-bankruptcy

Video is about Dolphin, but applies here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wROQUZDCIMI

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DC Murderverse posted:

Yuzu/Dolphin are like Goofus and Gallant

Dolphin would have been shut down a long time ago if they were not being meticulous about all that poo poo, especially during the Wii era where you could argue they might have actually cost Nintendo some money.

My issue is the excuses and bullshit surrounding all these things. We can scream and cry about preservation all we like, but we all know that the vast majority of people use emulation for piracy so I don't take the actions of any dev or publisher personally or view it as some kind of EEEEEVIIIIIL abuse on their part. It's all part of the business. I don't like it, but I get it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I could definitely go for the return of Real Dungeons; the lead up to each Temple was fantastic (I was almost breathless at the Underwater Waterworks) but the regionally-reskinned Divine Beasts masquerading as Temples left a lot to be desired

Yeah I'd like more legacy dungeons in addition to caves and wells. I would also like a good bit more variety in enemies(bring back Darknuts and Iron Knuckles!) as well as the story being mire streamlined(finding the tears out of order or doing the Korok Forest early spoils a LOT of things).

Inzombiac posted:

I don't disagree with you but I am very annoyed at GAMERS who must do everything and """efficiently""" as possible. This usually means going as fast as possible and never soaking in anything. They then go online to screech about how boring a game is when, in reality, they made the game boring by being a boring person.

Yeah gently caress those guys. Except Infinity Gaia who's cool and gets it since I'm similar and likewise don't complain when I know it's not my thing(TotK is still totally my thing though).

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 5, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I think my ideal game progression would be a blend of the open world style with a more freeform version of what WW did

-Intro
-Three Dungeons, any order
-Master Sword
-Three Dungeons, any order
-Late-game quest/dungeon akin to Spirit Temple or Hyrule Castle
-Final Dungeon and Boss

With each successive step being unlocked by completing the last one

Also gently caress yeah Darknuts

Agree with this loadout...except MORE than just six dungeons. I'd go with eight or nine as well as several mini-dungeons like the caves and catacombs from Elden Ring as well as some mini dungeons that are required for doing the main ones(stuff like the Kakariko and Ikana Wells as well as Ikana Castle and the Gerudo Fortresses).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Including the late-game dungeon and final dungeon my outline has eight :) but yes, I agree with all of this

I actually enjoyed some of those more than the main dungeons. Gerudo Pirate Fortress was fun as was the Ikana Well and Castle(Stone Tower was just over the top awesome though to beat).

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Some more news about the Yuzu thing.

https://twitter.com/HikikomoriMedia/status/1764894963194597458?t=37VjD1XlC0HoZJvMtQXxmA&s=19

quote:

The Yuzu devs settled to avoid discovery. They were going to get hosed with multiple infringements for making roms and distributing them between the Yuzu devs, often pre-release of the game. They allegedly had a rom stash on their discord too. Nintendo ninjas were inside the discord, watching. Now all the Yuzu devs have turned over all electronic devices, websites, logs... Oh and Yuzu was running telemetry in the background collecting "anonymous" data. Our heroes, everyone.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 6, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Waltzing Along posted:

People are mad that they can't steal as easily any more?

Yeah yeah, corpos bad. But c'mon, Nintendo are not the bad guys in this situation.

Also, if this means fewer people bragging about playing games early cuz they pirated them, then good. I don't care if you pirate. But don't brag about it. It's a bad look.

Big N is actually one of the better if not the best(not that it's a necessarily high bar to clear) in terms of employee retention and treatment and don't do that whole hiring and firing thing that other big tech and gaming companies do. They are also one of the few(maybe even the only?) Japanese companies that acknowledge same-sex marriages and rights. It's one of the things that bugs me about these discussions in that other companies do SIGNIFICANTLY worse poo poo yet slide off on it. Makes it more blatant that it's the piracy thing which is frankly a non-issue to me since it's expected.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ramie posted:

I mean they did basically put a guy in indebtured servitude for life to make an example of him. It's nice that they are cool with gay people but that is very much a thing they did.

kidfresca posted:

that was a plea deal to avoid RICO charges. the whole thing happened because he got busted for racketeering and laundering.

Relevant video by Moon Channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9_1Wl9pjLU

TL;DW is that Gary Bowser was basically the PR/Fall Guy for a super turbo shady as hell piracy corporation run by a guy with a name that sounds like a James Bond or Die Hard villain.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

euroshopper posted:

i think endorph mentioned squenix being very progressive when it comes to lgbt+ employee rights but i might be wrong

Yeah that tracks with what I heard, ditto for Sega also being really good to employees as far as work and bonuses were concerned as was Capcom. A lot of Japanese gaming companies are...actually not that bad employee wise if I recall.

Off-Topic for Nintendo, but on topic for this convo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-653Z1val8s

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I read something recently that claimed that of the five people that worked on the original Super Mario Bros (1985), four of them were credited on Super Mario Wonder

People just...don't leave jobs at Nintendo, lol

Nintendo's employee retention rate is 98.9%, surpassing the national average of 70% thanks to factors like brand strength and a strong employee welfare program.

I think that might be the highest employee retention rate of ANY company.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New screenshots of Paper Mario TTYD from Japanese Website

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

symbolic posted:

God that looks fantastic

The lighting alone looks absolutely fantastic.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SettingSun posted:

Boggly Woods is bad and deflates most attempts I have in replaying TTYD. Also Twilight Town is similarly bad. Rest of the game is top tier though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Also you're wrong.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

neato burrito posted:

Mario Wonder is a perfectly fine B tier Mario game and that's okay.

If by B you mean Badass then I agree. I loved the Ninji rythm jump minigame.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mr.Acula posted:

-You can now place hats on cats and dogs.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

I said come in! posted:

This is the one F-Zero I didn't like. Would really love a remaster of F-Zero GX.

Agreed. Also include the tracks from the AX arcade game.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GX already does that; You just have to beat all the GP cups. On Master :shepface:.

Well drat. Yeah that's, uh...not happening any time soon.

otter posted:

Sorry to interrupt F-Zero chat, but has there been any rumblings about Tomb Raider being released physically recently? Last time I checked in on it, it was just speculation, as I expect it would still be now.

I'm still waiting for mews on the Gex trilogy and Tomba on the Switch.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Xenomrph posted:

Is there an appropriate place to share Switch friend codes and friend up with goons and stuff?

I recall there was a Discord, but I'm not sure if it was Splatoon based or general Nintendo based.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mister Facetious posted:

Lol the ones I've heard consistently say 4 teraflops in raw power, which puts it on par with the ps4 Pro and Xbox Series S.
Or the Apple M2 (3.6)

That...would be pretty drat good. Like for a portable console that's beefy enough and would be about the same a the Steam Deck or there about.

Mister Facetious posted:

Back when this thread started (or was there one before it? I can't remember anymore), the was some article where indie devs were saying that their games would sell twice as often on the Switch as the PSN store.

There just feels like there's a better Indie scene in Nintendo. The portability definitely helps for sure.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't know what that means and I have a Deck :confused: but uhhh, if the next Switch is basically a Deck with Nintendo games (and backwards compatibility with all the poo poo I already bought on Switch), then yeah, sign me the gently caress up!

This. The most consistent thing in all the rumors is that it'll be backwards compatible so that's a given, but if it can match(or even surpass) the power/performance of the Steam Deck then it's an easy HUGE win for Nintendo. A game I'd love to see them port would be Elden Ring if this becomes the case.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Been trying to find it, but there was an image showing all of the recently rumored remakes that could be shown in the upcoming direct or any other after. I remember TP and WW were listed on it as well as Kirby Canvas Curse and some others. The remakes were theorized to being the games down the pipeline to sate things until the bigger releases.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mister Facetious posted:

They should remake Yoshi's Epic Yarn, and do another run of the giant amiibo plush.

Honestly; every game where Nintendo/HAL try to simulate the look of actual cloth/yarn/cardboard/etc., But in high res.

My God YES!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Cartoon Man posted:

We got new leaks today! These supposedly come from analyzing shipping between Nintendo and Nvidia. Or they could be utter and total bullshit! You decide!

https://www.androidauthority.com/nintendo-switch-2-leaks-specs-launch-timeline-backwards-compatibility-3441297/

Stuff like this sounds plausible. I remember a post I've been scouring to find again saying that remakes of F-Zero GX, Xenoblade X, TP and WW, and a few others were in the pipeline from a fairly reputable leaker.