Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i love the switch and it is my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Nyoro posted:

The switch is an excellent console that I love more than my wife

if you love it so much then why don't you marry it?

oh, right, you're already married

my one regret in life is that i cannot be married to both my wife and my switch

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i might buy splatoon 3. but ive never played splatoon, dont much care for competitive multiplayer, and am just kinda "whatever" about shooters

ok maybe i shouldnt buy splatoon 3.

but if it has a single player mode i probably will

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Binding of Isaac Repentance also comes out tomorrow.

oh poo poo is this a new game or an update to the one i already have?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks folks for your input on splatoon and info on isaac!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Lastdancer posted:

Heads-up Nintendo fans we got a new Nintendo movie about Nintendo coming to a PS5 or Xbox HBO Max streaming app near you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIcAkLBV-U

i expected to like it, but i do not. i really, really, really do not

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sometimes a game falls down on its own merits and people illustrate that by comparing the game's failings to games that are better

when a platformer sucks and somebody compares it to a good platformer, that is not the same as refusing to evaluate it on its own merits

i havent read the reviews or played the games so can't say whether the reviewers are being dumb or not. on the one hand, game reviewers are frequently dumb, but on the other hand people who get mad at game reviewers frequently are as well

ive never played an smt game. i liked p4 golden. ill probably give it a shot, but probably not at $60 cause its almost certain i wont be able to devote jrpg levels of time to it. but when its $15 or $20 ill prob give it a shot!

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's giving an unfamiliar audience a comparison for understanding and then there's not judging a work by its own merits. That's the issue.

:yeah:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Also, who do I have to bribe to make a HD release of Devil Summoner 2 happen?

me, hmu for paypal info but i only take friends and family

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any chance of still being able to buy the N64 controllers, or are they all gone in this scalper-blasted hellscape?

just wait for them to make more, they're not a limited-run thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I cannot believe people play handheld mode with joycons for any appreciable amount of time. It's so uncomfortable.

1. attach satisfye grip
2. now it's basically fine

could still be better, but it doesn't kill my hands like handheld without the grip does

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

does SMT have the mechanic where if you knock all the bad guys down, your team gangs up on them? or is that persona (or maybe just p4) only?

i really liked the combat in p4. i started out tolerating the high school life sim stuff but then i came around to it, but the fighting mechanics were fun

i never finished p4 because basically my team wasn't set up to do whatever it is you're supposed to do for the final boss and i couldn't trivially grind. i think i would've been able to do it with the pile of recovery items and stuff that i had, but it would've been hard and i didn't really want to gently caress with it. i really wish they would've just let me put it on easy for that fight

does SMT generally let you change difficulty whenever? if not, is that gonna change for smt5?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Zinkraptor posted:

Mainline SMT doesn’t have all-out attacks, and hitting weaknesses doesn’t knock down your opponent. You still get extra turns in the recent games, but the turn order still goes to the next party member (so most of the time the extra turn doesn’t go to the party member that did the hit). This does mean you can keep getting extra turns by hitting the same enemy’s weakness (up to four), but they can do the same to you.

My understanding for the way SMTV handles difficulty is that you can freely change difficulty, but once you’ve gone from hard to normal you can’t get back to hard (but you can swap between normal and casual all you want). I haven’t played the game myself, though, so I can’t confirm.

cool, thanks!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KingSlime posted:

You also would have probably been able to get by with fusing personas that have specific skills meant to counter that last boss, especially if you were in standard difficulty. You can grind but why bother when the game gives you so many tools to customize and adapt ( you may need to grind in hard I certainly did but I'm not very smart)

Huh, just like in classic RPG series shin megami tensei. It's almost like combat is straight up identical except for a few minor mechanics! I for one really enjoy persona but SMT is just so cool and edgy, feels like it comes from a different bygone era of anime

yeah iirc i fused away the persona i was "supposed" to be using (or maybe fused away one of his prereqs?) or something like that. i dont remember the details really, just that i didnt have the dude that i needed to get the right status effect and it was gonna be a PITA to get him

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ff7 is the only final fantasy game that i beat. i loved tactics but had an all-mage party that basically got bodied at some point and i didnt wanna train up a more diverse party. ff8 was boring. i loved ff9 but stopped playing it for whatever reason.

i got a ps2 when i went to college for ff10 and GTA (and DVDs), but just sort of lost interest in 10 after a bit

i bought ff9 for switch to replay it. i got farther but lost interest again somewhere around the mage village

i think that i want to like final fantasy games more than i actually like them. that probably goes for jrpgs in general. probably won't stop me from buying SMTV on sale and then stopping half way through, though. as a true gamer i never learn from my mistakes.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i used to own two switch cartridges. then i sold mario kart and bought it digital. now i own one cartridge

that's my story, like and subscribe for more!

oh! i started playing shovel knight the other day after having it for a good year+. it's super fun. i'm on the tinker knight's stage and it's obnoxious, but the prior stages have been mostly not too eff-you. i like how easy it is go just go back to an old level for a few thousand gold. i still get annoyed when i die before retrieving my gold (and i do not much care for the mechanic at all, tbh), but at least it's "easy come, easy go" and not "gently caress you". the armor that halves what you drop helps a lot

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

using the word "fail" that way, though, is even worse

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

does metroid dread do the thing that super metroid did where there's like green and orange doors, and you have very limited missiles or bombs or whatnot, and if you're colorblind you're boned bc you can't tell that the door is a new color, and don't have the missiles for a "shoot every door" strategy?

nb that i have not played super metroid for a long time so i might not be remembering accurately

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's awesome thank you!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this is gonna sound like flame bait, but are any of the (mainline) pokémon games actually worth playing as an adult if you have never played one before? i'm sure i'll get one for little jones when he's a bit better at reading to help him with it; i'm more wondering if there'd be anything that'll pique my own interest. i like cute things and generally think pokémon are cute if that helps.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks for the input switch friends!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if nintendo games went on sale i'd get pokémon snap. but i don't think i'd get sixty bucks of fun out of it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean yeah it's naked greed - same as charging more for new emulators on the online service. they charge it because people will pay for it, and they can. people who want it will pay for it. the same could be said for lots of things - DLC, updates, whatever - why not release it as a value-add instead of a new charge?

the general answer is that if the market will bear the company charging for something, they'll charge for it. how an individual feels about the value proposition can vary from "this feels sleazy/nintendo is loving us again" to "the devs would starve to death if the publisher didn't charge/only entitled assholes would balk at paying $x for Y"

i generally feel like game companies go way too hard on new charges and executive bonuses and not near hard enough on value-adds for customers and treating their employees well. i just kinda complain about it and then pay anyway cause i can absorb an extra $40 a year or whatever without trouble. at least nintendo doesn't brag about their record breaking profits while laying people off; for that reason i'm not near as annoyed as i am with other companies when new charges show up, so i'm not annoyed enough to stop buying stuff

idk how applicable the "executive bonus" thing above is to gamefreak but afaik japanese companies aren't as bad about it as american ones. i basically dont buy big-budget american games on release any more cause most of those companies are doodyheads imo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's an interesting point! it hasn't occurred to me how "convince people to quit" could cover for layoffs in some, uh, not great ways

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

for both sides, nobody's "wasting time and energy." they're disagreeing on whether there being separate versions is nickel-and-dime bullshit or a reasonable strategy to encourage trading with little downside

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yall are being kinda mean. i get that hyberolic anger and everybody has a chuckle at the sillyposts is the vibe you're going for but it's kinda looped around to just being mean and unpleasant instead of silly and fun

i like to play my nintendo switch in the bath tub. where is your favorite place to play?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Motto posted:

Yeah Fates has a lot of issues due to scope creep but by that same token they did actually make all of it. You paid normal game price for one version and its respective campaign, then the other two were $20 DLCs.

that's pretty cool IMO. i bet they'd make a lot of money if pokemon games had a dlc like that. on the other hand, it kinda seems like if gamefreak sips from the money faucet that is DLC they'll go full EA on it and suddenly you can only get pikachu as a $5 download. i'm talkin out of my rear end on that ofc but thats still kinda how it feels

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how did triangle strategy end up?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks y'all! the only srpg i really know of is fft, which i loved back in the day. it sounds like triangle strategy might be a bit hard for me if i'm just trying to chill and stuff, so i'll probably hold off until i can get a good deal on it in case i bounce off after a couple hours

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cohsae posted:

I hope that everyone posting about Triangle Strategy and FFT has played Into The Breach, the best turn-based strategy game ever.

i...thought into the breach was just ok. i only played a few runs and got bored

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo thanks for the tip on the kirby cartoon. little jones has gone insane for kirby lately and has repeatedly told me "i wish there were a kirby cartoon." he'll be very excited in the morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

does the d2 remake have any qol stuff like free respecs or is basically only fun if you loved the original?