Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ONE MORE THREAD REJECTED.

I AM THE SWITCH INSIDE YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Binding of Isaac Repentance also comes out tomorrow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

oh poo poo is this a new game or an update to the one i already have?

I'm pretty sure it'll be released as paid DLC but I haven't seen any price point on anything. I have a physical copy of Rebirth and at this point I think I might just buy the whole thing digitally if the price is right.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's pretty bad but in general most people haven't touched an N64 in decades or never have and won't notice the difference. Hopefully patches improve things.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lastdancer posted:

You could always wait a week and get Shin Megami Tensei V when it comes out on the 11th. I don't know your preferences but if you're ok dealing with Turn-based games and want a challenge that will last a while then that is definitely the right path.

For some reason Google says it comes out on the 11th but it in fact releases on Friday the 12th.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sun and Moon were so bad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

They're the best games in the franchise op

You're mistaking them with Gen V. Weird thing to do.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

fewer and fewer people are saying this

It's because it's so forgettable.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

I preferred the old pokemon games where the plot stayed out of the way and didn't waste my time. "go get some badges, also team rocket is bad" is the perfect amount of story for a pokemon game imo

Nothing really wrong with the new ones tho

Yeah. Some plot is good. But with Gen 6 onward they decided you couldn't walk a few steps without being stopped by some annoying kid who has to give you twenty minutes of more story or force you into some tutorial for some minigame you'll never do again. Sword/Shield toned it down a bit but it's still not great. The Let's Go remake was really refreshing in this regard. Blue shows up to tell you about badges right after you beat Brock and he's like "you know what, never mind, you know what you're doing."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

people loving hate those remakes but to be honest they're the most fun I've had with Pokemon since...the original Diamond? and the best looking 3D games by a landslide imo

The motion controls for catching Pokemon was bad but I loved everything else. They were really fun and I agree that they look a lot better than Sword/Shield.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't think it'll happen on Switch, but the next Nintendo console will be far enough removed that they'll do a limited edition reproduction Wii Remote for some game re-release.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Binding of Isaac Repentance is out. The DLC is $20.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

Ogre Battle was published by Enix, which means it's under Square-Enix's purview now. You're not gonna see it on SNESflix or 64flix - Squenix doesn't seem interested in the service at all - but they may get around to releasing an Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre collection on Switch at some point before the heat death of the universe. I'd have put money on those getting a remaster/remake before ActRaiser, but I guess not.

The only Square Enix game I can picture ever showing up on SNES is Super Mario RPG and even then they could be secretly working on a remake with Nintendo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really hope that Chrono Cross remaster is in the works. I have an HDMI modded PS1 so I can replay it anytime but there's a small delay whenever you go to the menu because it switches from 240p to 480i. A remaster would give it a new audience too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hypnospace Outlaw is great. The only game I've enjoyed playing with a mouse and keyboard.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They announced a physical release back in March with a $60 preorder, and at that time it was already released as paid DLC on Steam. I'm not sure if Edmund clarified on Twitter at the time that it was going to be paid DLC on the Switch but I don't think anyone assumed it would be a free update given those circumstances.

I'm more curious about the new physical edition. It will have to be a separate release from the digital one since there's no way otherwise to include DLC on cart, but will they have a mechanism to transfer saves (like the Pokémon+DLC release last year) or require you to start over?

I mean, I'm not that curious because it's $60 and gently caress Nicalis.

The new physical edition is also only available through Nicalis's site so gently caress that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's been a year so I barely remember, but didn't they change the homophobic scene in P5 to something equally bad or stupid in P5R? Something about forcing Ryuji to model clothes against his will?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's finally SMT season.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He's parodying SMTV reviewers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

are smt nerds just mad that people know what persona is, unlike smt

because persona is by the best possible comparison point for smt5

Nah. Persona is a good comparison point for SMT but reviewers have a history of criticizing SMT for having things that make it distinct to Persona and likewise.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

and that's fine? there's a reason persona is much more popular than smt

mostly thing seems like people desperately trying to dunk on reviewers for having pretty reasonable opinions

There's giving an unfamiliar audience a comparison for understanding and then there's not judging a work by its own merits. That's the issue.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Srice posted:

Comparing a new thing to a popular thing that is made by the same studio and also shares a lot of mechanics is an incredibly sane point of comparison to make, in fact.

Except those aren't the things being lazily criticized.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

JaneError posted:

New Switch owner here; got my OLED Tuesday. After giving it a couple days to get a feel for it, I'm thinking I need a grip. Any opinions on the Skull & Co. NeoGrip?

The two goon approved grips:

Satisfye and the Hori Split Pad Pro. I personally use the Hori Split Pad Pro (comes in multiple colors, prices seem to vary, look around). It's like if they took a standard sized controller and well, split in two. There is no battery so they only work in handheld and there is no rumble function.

Everyone who has the Satisfye grip swears by it, a friend of mine has one and it feels really nice. The big con is that you gotta take it off to dock it. The one I linked is for the OLED specifically as the older model doesn't fit the OLED.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd plug the Split Pad Pro again but apparently it's not compatible with the new (OLED) dock. Which I don't really think is the Split Pad Pro's fault. Anyways my dock is still in the box.

Not true, I have been using my Split Pad Pros on my OLED dock with no issue. However, I did try to dock it onto my friend's non-OLED Switch and it wouldn't fit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh wow that Mega Man Split Pad Pro literally got announced as I was typing that. Looks nice.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1456360157395382292?t=bGDMymeKls1m-OBjRnLxlw&s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

dr.acula posted:

Is Raven Beak the true final boss of Dread? I was stuck on him last night, game is hard. And if so does the title screen change after you beat the game to Metroid: Dad? Because it should.

Very big ending spoilers so read if you dare:

Raven Beak is the true final boss but

after the planet escape sequence there is a surprise fakeout boss that you will obliterate.

Title screen stays the same I believe.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Huh, so I found out from the graphic on Hori's site (scroll towards the bottom).

So the SPP+OLED Switch works in the OLED dock but not the SPP+OG Switch? That's interesting.

Maybe they're covering their asses or something, but docking feels no different from docking when I had my previous Switch with the pro pads. I even just now checked to see if maybe it doesn't sit flush but the Switch sits on the dock the same either way. It's always charged fine, hasn't lost connection during a docked session or acted weird.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

loudog999 posted:

Split Pad users, what games do you find yourself taking them off and going back to joy-cons? Like I said, I barely use my old ones but I’ll be damned if I take the Mega Man one off unless I really have to. I’m guessing most with motion control. Personally I would need motion in Resident Evil 4, Quake, Dusk, maybe the Dooms. Anything else I’m missing? Splatoon I guess but I haven’t played that forever.

I last used Joycons for Skyward Sword and Great Ace Attorney, but mostly because it was easier to have them attached to charge since I'd use them when in docked mode.

They're great for Monster Hunter. They've saved me so many hand cramps.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

Has then been any good sales numbers dropped for Metroid Dread yet? How long does does usually take to get released?

None yet because Kotaku's piracy article halted all sales and Nintendo even revoked digital copies from people's Switch accounts they were so mad. Miyamoto was fired.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

X was always a huge hit. I think IX took some time for it to become a beloved classic.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's weird that they're releasing the GTA trilogy so quickly after announcing it but without showing very much.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gen V ruled. Top tier spritework. Over 150 brand new Pokemon and it committed to the promise. You didn't even see a wild Pikachu until after completing the campaign.

Speaking of the campaign, the story was closer to traditional JRPG, the evil team was engaging, and a unique rival character who wasn't just some wimpy kid or friend cop out like most gens now. They even addressed the underlying premise of the franchise.

It had very snappy battles, which was a huge relief coming from how slow gen IV's were. Not only did it introduce triple battles, it brought in the GOAT battle type, rotation battles.

And then rather than doing a third version to Black and White, they did direct sequels, taking place a couple years later, so even though you were playing through that region and it's gym leaders again, it wasn't a rehash. Things, the leaders changed things up, a couple changes, and you even got to see what happened in the wake of the end of the Black and White.

It was the boldest generation yet and they won't be topping it any time soon. Sales figures don't mean a drat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stux posted:

also this is specifically what i meant about the disease it infected people with thaht has them complaining about the games not being miserable anymore.

Sorry for desiring conflict in my JRPGs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fun fact, Pokemon Sun and Moon have more dialogue than than every Animal Crossing and Ace Attorney game combined.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Let's Go is pretty good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I preorder Shin Megami Tensei V? I really want the launch steel book edition but I can’t find that version for preorder. I’m worried that if I wait there won’t be any copies of the game period at the store at launch day.

Dunno. Everyone who pre-ordered it from Amazon, no matter which of the three versions (regular, steelbook, collector's edition) got an email on Saturday saying their copy might be having a shipping delay. Rumor is that a shipping container didn't arrive on time or something.

Amazon still shows my Collector's Edition arriving on Friday, and I am taking that day off from work to play it. (I rarely take days off for a video games anymore but with Thursday being a national holiday, I figured take Friday off to make a four day weekend of it.) If it does get delayed I'll probably run to Wal Mart and grab a copy and chuck it on SA-Mart when my collector's edition arrives.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I need a new screen protector and a very simple, durable, streamlined case for my OLED switch. My Zelda one is falling apart. I’m 100% digital for I don’t care about pockets for game cards and would prefer one without. Any suggestions?
Here's the good glass screen protectors for the OLED Switch.

I don't have a suggestion for a case though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's weird that they haven't done a Strikers since Wii. Both games were great and soccer is the world's most popular sport. It should be a no-brainer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You don't have to buy both versions. You never have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I preorder the standard edition on Best Buy for same day pickup just in case and cancel it if there is a steelbook version available at launch?

Usually I wouldn't give a poo poo. But I want to beat this game before FFXIV: Endwalker, so every day is precious time.

There really is no way to tell. I guess there's nothing stopping you from ordering the standard edition and then exchanging it if Best Buy has a steelbook on the shelf.