Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They've stated the random encounter distribution in FFX actually determined the map size. They had a set number of fights they expected players to get into every (x) meters and designed the maps so that if you just went through the (largely linear) areas you'd do exactly as many random battles as the game expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

WaltherFeng posted:

Ff16 balance patch is out now with some buffs to less used abilities. Hoping someone tests the new damage numbers because I dont have time for that.

Rising Tide comes out tomorrow.

Is it true they made Ramuh's shotlock worth using

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

finished ff16. i shouted with joy, i cried, incredible ending and final boss. ben starr is beast

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Gologle posted:

Not sure about the damage because I have no numbers to back it up but now balls of lightning can be detonated with the circle button instead of hitting enemies with melee or magic. I think this leads to more damage because all the orbs explode instantly and weaker enemies get stunlocked by it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Joey McChrist posted:

finished ff16. i shouted with joy, i cried, incredible ending and final boss. ben starr is beast

Hell yeah. Glad you enjoyed it.

I won't have time to get around to the new DLC until this weekend, I hope it's good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
https://x.com/canyoupetthedog/status/1780583558249079088?s=46&t=OlByiBLgO5fvKE1jFm-gMQ

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I played a bit of Rising Tide.

The new area is really pretty like FF7Rebirth pretty.

Leviathan is a lot more involved than other Eikons. It completely changes you moveset to a gunslinger like ranged style so you are meant to stay in this style more. It seems to be designed around Will damage and crowd damage so good against small enemies and pre-stagger bosses.

There's also new accessories like enhanced titanic block. Im sure theres one for every Eikon.

For anyone wondering you get Leviathan powers almost immediately and a tutorial explaining them so you can start playing around with it.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 18, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Also, remember you need to download the DLC manually. I always forget this. Got the patch and then couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t seeing the marker to start the new DLC. Realized it wasn’t downloaded yet.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK game, I do NOT like or appreciate the idea of a human sized realistic Tonberry

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

They remind of the moogles from 7 remake. Both are horrible abominations but this works in Tonberry's favor.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Tonberry is still cool at least.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I am up for more ff in this, the year of ff

Any big buffs that totally change playstyles for other Eikons? Wanna switch it up a bit

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gologle posted:

I still don't vibe with it, but it's more usable, worth using? probable but I don't like it enough to be a judge.
With his accessory, you can load up several full charges of shotlock much more quickly so that probably turns it from probable to definitely.

Leviathan is good damage overall but his regular non-ability attacks are stagger bar dissolvers, his mobility is extremely good and generally, it's very very good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I am up for more ff in this, the year of ff

Any big buffs that totally change playstyles for other Eikons? Wanna switch it up a bit

Ramuh is apparently good for increasing the stagger multiplier for free without using a cooldown for it. Havent tested actual numbers.

You can now go in and out of Bahamut form and you only lose portion of your megaflare gauge. Activating bahamut form counts as a dodge.

Shiva's and Leviathan's skills have some fun crowd control synergy (gather small dudes together and blast them)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can't lose a Megaflare level by exiting Bahamut form anymore so dodge fishing with it is nowhere near as punishing, and his accessory increases the dodge frames and passive charge rate.

I've not tried Ramuh's shot lock to build stagger gauge but I've heard some people say they use it over Diamond Dust now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nice! I saw they have loadouts now but I usually used to refund stuff so I dunno how that would work. Combat was getting a bit samey near the end and I saw they buffed a lot of the worse abilities too so new stuff to try

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I think the update does change up things quite a bit. You can now play a very convincing ranged magic style by using long range abilities and Leviathan's normals

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Nice! I saw they have loadouts now but I usually used to refund stuff so I dunno how that would work.

tested this just now. if you refund an ability that was equipped to one of your loadouts the ability will still be there but be greyed out to indicate you can't use it until you buy it back

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cait Sith.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cait Sith. So What?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Waltzing Along posted:

Cait Sith. Swimsuit. Boobs. Jesus.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I just want to say i adore ff16's "Westaboo" aesthetic and unironically want a sequel.

if we can get a 10-2 and 13-2 then surely this one

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm in all day for Matsuno worshipping FF mainlines, and want them to evolve from 16 combat infinitely more than 7 Remake, but 16 is a closed book with no room before or after to make a story worth telling.

An entirely new story in a similar tone, setting and such hell yea

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I don't want to see another -2 again for a long time. Not because they've been bad games (they haven't,) not because I don't have engagement from the -1s they chose (I do,) but because empirically they tend to come around times of production pipeline breakdown.

If they've already got a date for 17 or R3 and want to also drop it for the previous or next Golden Week, by all means, though.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

16 is a closed book with no room before or after to make a story worth telling.

Counterpoint: 10-2 exists

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ive been trying to read up on FF16 Arcade mode scoring but there's very little up to date information on it.

From what I could gather here's best skills for accumulating points and utility (there may be others while some are just bad like Zantetsuken)

Will o Wykes
Rook's Gambit
Rift Slip
Satellite
Thunderstorm
Windup
Vent

Shiva's permafrost is also a must have because it gets you points and freezes all enemies in the room. Garuda's pull gets you points and pulls enemies to you. Phoenix lets you move around and extend combos.

You dont need to get S rank for every encounter as long as you get A and other score multipliers at the end of stage but it still seems like a pain to do because there very little room for error.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

The ending points of 10 and 16 really could not be any different in terms of scope for further stories in that world tbh

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

And it's garbage

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Incorrect.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kheldarn posted:

And it's garbage

It is rubber and you are glue.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Kheldarn posted:

And it's garbage

lol! ...oh? you're serious?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
X-2 feels like a really natural sequel to have. I think the best FF games to give sequels are the ones that leave big 'now what' questions hanging; not necessarily a sequel hook, but interesting raised questions. And FFX's world is a heavily religious society that just learned, in very quick succession, 'your god is fake, the entire papacy is dead, and your Satan was actually your zombified Jesus'. Yeah, that's a world worth going back to!

In contrast, IV's world didn't really have to face any questions that left me thinking a sequel would hold any interest. VII's actually did, but none of the continued VII stuff is at all interested in asking the questions I actually had about it (which were mostly Shinra-centric, I really don't care about the characters they seem to think I do).

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

In 16 it's confirmed there's a mainland / continent outside Valisthea so there's at least some room for potential sequel or a spinoff.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I mean, if a genre story about galleons that fly through the sky and elemental crystals that power the magical heroic spirits within can't support a sequel, that's a skill issue on the part of the writer

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

wizard2 posted:

I mean, if a genre story about galleons that fly through the sky and elemental crystals that power the magical heroic spirits within can't support a sequel, that's a skill issue on the part of the writer

That description fits about 80% of Final Fantasy settings, though. The main differentiator is if the crystals are big landmarks or small gemstones.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just want more info on that alleged FF9 remake thing. I know it apparently is pretty low scale but I still wanna see it...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just want more info on that alleged FF9 remake thing. I know it apparently is pretty low scale but I still wanna see it...

Yeah this and FFT are the main thing I want other than 17 now. Both games I didn't finish back in the day and can't be arsed to go back and play now given how much they've aged. Just make them PS5 pretty and throw in a bunch of QOL stuff and I'll be happy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cleretic posted:

In contrast, IV's world didn't really have to face any questions that left me thinking a sequel would hold any interest.

You're telling me you didn't wonder what would happen if Cecil and Rosa had an idiot for a son? Or what would happen if Palom reunited with that random NPC girl he bragged to during 4's ending? Or how Edward, Kain, and Edge would still be pining over the same women for the next 17 years?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mega64 posted:

You're telling me you didn't wonder what would happen if Cecil and Rosa had an idiot for a son?
A safe assumption.

Mega64 posted:

Or what would happen if Palom reunited with that random NPC girl he bragged to during 4's ending?
Definitely not.

Mega64 posted:

Or how Edward, Kain, and Edge would still be pining over the same women for the next 17 years?
Extremely obvious and in-character. No wondering involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fine, shoot me down with your valid and reasonable arguments, but didn't you ever wonder in the back of your head what Yang's daughter or Edward's secretary would be like? Or what would happen if Luca made her dolls semi-sentient? Or if Edge had a bunch of annoying hanger-ons that contributed nothing of value whatsoever?