Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

I know we're all (mostly all?) excited for Visions Of Mana to release this summer, but how are we feeling about Squeenix's new SaGa game, SaGa: Emerald Beyond?

Game good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mega64 posted:

I mean, there's good reason he's not Great King Moggle Mog XII.

I tried to do it at min ilevel with no Echo and hooooo boy. that fight is a pub-stomper.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Hard is the best version because you can see that Pukla Puki the BLM can't dance

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

FF6: The apocalypse happened and that's interesting I guess but it took so many fishing trips for Cid to finally loving die that I thought I softlocked the game. Is there any way to tell what kind of fish you're grabbing? I couldn't tell the difference based on visuals or movement speed. It seemed random if a fish helped, hurt, or did nothing but maybe I was just being stupid.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah there is a way, and your carelessness killed Cid, the cause of the apocalypse

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

FF6: The apocalypse happened and that's interesting I guess but it took so many fishing trips for Cid to finally loving die that I thought I softlocked the game. Is there any way to tell what kind of fish you're grabbing? I couldn't tell the difference based on visuals or movement speed. It seemed random if a fish helped, hurt, or did nothing but maybe I was just being stupid.

Its not particularly well explained but I think they say you need "vigorous fish" of which only the fast moving fish at the very bottom of the screen count, anything else kills him

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

its ok because the scene after is way better if cid bites it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Stranger of Paradise update: I've now met Sophia, and the list of characters that would make a ore compelling protagonist to me than Jack continues to grow. The paradox of a woman whose apparent only memory is that she has a good memory is such a weird angle, and it implies a really interestingly broken internal mind. Basing the Flying Fortress on the Tower of Zot while also making it a space station is such a weird call, though. The series has at least one actual space station, you could've just used that!

Gambler is a hilarious job, though. Objectively worse than Hunter, but only one room in this game so far has been hard, so I don't think that matters.

Also, why are jobs that I've never touched getting level ups, by the way? It's not exactly a problem (and it means I don't have to play White Mage to level it, which is nice), but it never got explained. Is it something about equipment affinity or something?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 26, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It is because of affinity

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jack rules

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
He starts at 120 HP, gains 32 from fast fish, gains 16 ("ordinary") or loses 4 ("foul-tasting") from medium fish, and loses 16 from slow fish. Death is on entering the room when he has less than 30 HP, survival is on handing over fish and hitting or exceeding 255. The trick is that he also ticks down by 1 HP a second, so if you're giving him a medium fish-centric diet you need to get your Cid-to-fish-to-Cid loop down to 6 seconds per fish just to break even on average.

Within that it's purely a question of how fast you can physically catch them; if 2 mediums are right next to each other near shore it's probably a decent return, or one medium lurking right near a fast, but if they're any effort they're not worth chasing at all.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Augus posted:

Jack rules

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Augus posted:

Jack rules

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Stranger of Paradise update: I've now met Sophia, and the list of characters that would make a ore compelling protagonist to me than Jack continues to grow.

Yeah this is a dumb take that ignores basically all the story to make even start to make sense. Which is what....you always do.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth seems Ftw. I paid $600 for this game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

worth every penny

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's one game on the PS5.... and it runs like rear end!!!!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

7 dollars per hour seems like a good value for the FF7 Rebirth experience

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Chad Module.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Final fantasy 7r2 is the greatest game of all time

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

When you’re done I recommend the other ps5 game, ff16

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Chad Module.

That’s right.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

*nods*

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Cleretic posted:

Stranger of Paradise update: I've now met Sophia, and the list of characters that would make a ore compelling protagonist to me than Jack continues to grow. The paradox of a woman whose apparent only memory is that she has a good memory is such a weird angle, and it implies a really interestingly broken internal mind. Basing the Flying Fortress on the Tower of Zot while also making it a space station is such a weird call, though. The series has at least one actual space station, you could've just used that!

Gambler is a hilarious job, though. Objectively worse than Hunter, but only one room in this game so far has been hard, so I don't think that matters.

Also, why are jobs that I've never touched getting level ups, by the way? It's not exactly a problem (and it means I don't have to play White Mage to level it, which is nice), but it never got explained. Is it something about equipment affinity or something?

I liked Jack pretty much the whole way through, but his character really landed in the last stretch of the game. I'd be interested to hear if you still feel this way after beating the game. SoP is great.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I started playing a bit of SOP on my ROG Ally and man it doesn’t run super well. It is however the year of FF so I will figure it out and probably keep playing. Combat seems cool

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Augus posted:

Jack rules

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Jack is very very good

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Jack is a top tier Final Fantasy protagonist.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF3 hit 34 years old in Japan, so the SE Music channel is streaming music from it for the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwfuW0bTEDU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The ending points of 10 and 16 really could not be any different in terms of scope for further stories in that world tbh

About 71% through 16's Main Campaign (even though i am well aware of how it ends just through viewing all the cutscenes before purchasing) and i still stand by what i said:colbert:

i am not kidding: i unironically want to see a sequel where either

A. The magic returns and the ramifications such an act would have on a generation untrained and largely inexperienced with it

B. The magic remains gone and we get to see what a Aether/Eikon-less society looks like from a Government
/Military context

seiferguy posted:

Thinking about sequel potential:

FF1: Not really unless you want the warriors of light to return, which, ehhhh
FF2: Maybe Firion and Maria had a child or something. Soul of Rebirth was a decent look at the afterlife starring the dying characters, so I'll count it.
FF3: See FF1. XIVs crystal tower series serves as a pseudo sequel.
FF4: we got TAY.
FF5: Send Krile on an adventure and have her reunite with friends along the way. Decent potential.
FF6: arguably the best given the number of characters. Locke / Celes, Relm, Gau, and Terra as a human are all worthy plots.
FF7: are advent children and dirge of cerberus not enough??
FF8: the characters are all young enough to do a follow up but given it's like FF1 and they stopped the time loop you'd have to do a different type of conflict, wouldn't count on it.
FF9: Give good Kuja his own game. I think Zidane / Garnet wrapped up nicely.
FF10: got 10-2.
FF12: got Revenant Wings.
FF13: got 13-2 and Lightning Returns!
FF15: considering the ending you'd have to find entirely new characters in that world. Highly unlikely.
FF16: those kids at the end? Give em a story.

Basically your best bets are 5 and 6.

i also want a FFI-2 and feel like the Stranger of Paradise cast would be AMAZING in an "official" sequel.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 26, 2024

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
accidental double post

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF16 really does open the door to an entire strain of low fantasy final fantasies. FF16-2 set a thousand years in the future would be interesting, as the legend of FF16 is not unlike a zodiac brave story style thing where the new protagonist is fed whatever story the church or whomever has been telling.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mega64 posted:

FF3 hit 34 years old in Japan, so the SE Music channel is streaming music from it for the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwfuW0bTEDU

A certified classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79iWS0reUGA

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

And the third one, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm saving the FF16 DLC for the PC release, since that game's gonna look really nice on PC. Hoping it comes out by the end of this year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that I think 'low fantasy' is the one place I don't want FF to go. FF12 I think is the absolute bottom of the curve in what I want from FF

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not even sure what "low fantasy" means anymore. Like FFXII is nowhere near low fantasy. Hell, neither is XVI. Magic is everywhere in both games, especially in XII, where magic and magical technology are casually used all over the place. There are fantastical monsters, a wide diversity of fantasy species, airships that explicitly run on magic, etc.

If anything, Tactics is the closest we have to a "low fantasy" Final Fantasy game.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think it’s time for FF to take another crack at science fantasy tbh. Another FF8 style world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm not even sure what "low fantasy" means anymore. Like FFXII is nowhere near low fantasy. Hell, neither is XVI. Magic is everywhere in both games, especially in XII, where magic and magical technology are casually used all over the place.

If anything, Tactics is the closest we have to a "low fantasy" Final Fantasy game.

Oh, no, that is what I mean. I don't really want it to go below FF12. I am not saying FF12 is Low Fantasy, I am saying it is the lower end of what I want from a FF.