Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, no, that is what I mean. I don't really want it to go below FF12. I am not saying FF12 is Low Fantasy, I am saying it is the lower end of what I want from a FF.

Ah yeah, in that case I'd agree. I mean I thought XVI's setting was pretty cool, too, as comparatively grounded as it is, but yeah the kind of omnipresent fantastical element you have in games like XII is something I definitely want from an FF game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Low fantasy" is merely a reflection of how likely you are to see the " bring out your dead" scene from Monty Python.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Low fantasy is loving boring.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Low fantasy is good in a world where there used to be capital M Magic that may or may not come back like Game of Thrones

Maybe it’s a werewolf maybe it’s just a really hairy homeless guy

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

FF6: Why would someone give enemies instant kill moves if they're going to show up in a solo character segment??? At least I've gotten into the habit of saving.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I think it’s time for FF to take another crack at science fantasy tbh. Another FF8 style world

:same:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

FF6: Why would someone give enemies instant kill moves if they're going to show up in a solo character segment??? At least I've gotten into the habit of saving.

There are some decisions in FF6 that kinda make it seem like the game hates you a little

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I want a Final Fantasy game that is straight up set in the real world, no magic, no moogles, no Gilgamesh, it's just a bunch of ordinary people doing ordinary things, there's not even a plot, it's just a real life simulator. It's called Final Fantasy because you beat the game by buying a house, raising a family, and having enough money to retire.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wow, sounds great

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Marche looked at a fantasy world where he was king poo poo, his friends were all happy and their families were united and his brother was healthy and he destroyed the world precisely so he could get a normal job like a normal moron

While he's definitely the most successful villain he's also by far the dumbest

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Started Stranger of Paradise on PS5 and good lord what is going on with the cutscene graphics

Also, what jobs are good? I read magic ruled somewhere so I've been swapping between warrior and mage, but got a lance and a gun too.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Gologle posted:

I want a Final Fantasy game that is straight up set in the real world, no magic, no moogles, no Gilgamesh, it's just a bunch of ordinary people doing ordinary things, there's not even a plot, it's just a real life simulator. It's called Final Fantasy because you beat the game by buying a house, raising a family, and having enough money to retire.

this but unironically

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gologle posted:

Just put some tape over The Sims logo and find a mod.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Gologle posted:

yeah.......on Opposite Day

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Beat Lich in SoP, but more importantly, I found the function that lets you replace Jack in gameplay with a copy of another party member. It's amazing how much my feelings toward the game improve when it's Sophia in the lead rather than Jack, even if it's only in gameplay.

I thought at first that it was breaking the actual dialog scripts, because I got all the way through the FFX stage without hearing him (which I think might have the weakest offering so far, it neither felt 'FFX' or like a part of FFI), but then I hit the XII stage and realized that no, he does actually speak, he's just such a non-presence in a lot of the story that if you aren't constantly looking at him you can forget he exists.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

sirtommygunn posted:

People call it an easy game for reasons.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Everyone loves the scorpions in the burning house. Technically you can come back later and do it with a full party.

Pixel remaster also has auto save which is good because it also has autobattle which likes to have Setzee hit Joker Doom with slots way too often.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The FF6 pixel remaster is pretty funny in that Setzer's slots certainly feel more random than before. After a childhood of playing the SNES version and never seeing joker doom (and only reading about its existence in the players guide), I've gotten it 3 times.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

seiferguy posted:

Started Stranger of Paradise on PS5 and good lord what is going on with the cutscene graphics

Also, what jobs are good? I read magic ruled somewhere so I've been swapping between warrior and mage, but got a lance and a gun too.

Magic rules, White Mage can save the day, Black Mage is really fun, Sage breaks the base game.

Void Knight is my favorite, you can absorb any magical attack and throw it back at the enemy, destroys some bosses.

Breaker's ability trivializes anything you can catch off guard.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 27, 2024

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

seiferguy posted:

All the caster jobs are great, and they all eventually lead to Sage, which is fantastic. Thief is really good, too, because it can just give itself monsters' moves at-will. However, when you've just got basic jobs to work with, I suggest focusing on getting a feel for which weapons click for you.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Kyoujin posted:

Everyone loves the scorpions in the burning house. Technically you can come back later and do it with a full party.

Pixel remaster also has auto save which is good because it also has autobattle which likes to have Setzee hit Joker Doom with slots way too often.

The scorpions sucked because they took a bunch of time but they weren't killing me, there's another enemy type that petrifies you on death so you just have to go in with the right relic. Naturally, after I got it and tried again, this enemy did not appear. My Celes wasn't strong enough to one shot the scorpions so I had to use all my smoke bombs to beat the timer.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've never thought of skipping Sabin until you get the Falcon (or, at the very least, Edgar and Setzer) and coming back to Tzen with a full party. I know it's feasible but man, imagining the tentacle fight with just Celes and Edgar sounds rough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've done the Setzer/Edgar/Celes challenge. It's honestly not that bad.

The tentacle boss can only grab you if you're slowed, so if you have auto-haste or a reflect ring it can't do poo poo.
Daedalus can be blinded with Flash (in the games where blind works properly) and dies shockingly quickly to Rasp.
Once they're out of the way you can just do a run around to get all the best poo poo. You might need to hop into Kefka's Tower to grab Setzer's most useful weapon but you can honestly also save it until you just go in.

Honestly a big chunk of stuff can be handled by getting the Master's Scroll/Offering. The enemy you need to get it from can be confused via Noise Blaster and once you have that there's not a huge amount of things left in the game that can really make you struggle. Kefka's Tower needs you to make sure you're properly equpped for the Statues/Guardian fights but even that isn't so bad.

(I'm pretty sure the only optional thing that really sucks is the Magic Tower and only because you have to drain the Magi Master's MP to avoid his death attack.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 27, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cleretic posted:

Beat Lich in SoP, but more importantly, I found the function that lets you replace Jack in gameplay with a copy of another party member. It's amazing how much my feelings toward the game improve when it's Sophia in the lead rather than Jack, even if it's only in gameplay.

I was waiting for you to post about this

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Beat Lich in SoP, but more importantly, I found the function that lets you replace Jack in gameplay with a copy of another party member. It's amazing how much my feelings toward the game improve when it's Sophia in the lead rather than Jack, even if it's only in gameplay

You know how that makes your complaints seem entirely arbitrary and kind of dumb, right?

Like the writing and characterization are all the same, you're just seeing a woman and gettin turned up enough that you like it now.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I havent played sop but arent the additional characters functionally the same as jack mechanically but they only have specific classes available

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I havent played sop but arent the additional characters functionally the same as jack mechanically but they only have specific classes available

No, they basically act as a 'skin' for Jack- they inherit his classes and traits when you use them as the front party member. The only real change is that they only get the simplified kill actions, which if you're tired of watching a mini-cutscene whenever you Break an enemy might be a boon. Also, they visually appear as the gear they're wearing when you change them to leader, but they do inherit Jack's stats and gear mechanically.

seiferguy posted:

Maces, Axes and Guns are generally the best weapons early and definitely the easiest to grok for newcomers. Lancer is balls amazing among the first classes too, though I'm less enamored with spears on other classes that don't get to chuck 'em. Among intermediate classes Thief is a huge standout beyond the other classes that naturally come out of the Mace/Axe/Gun classes because free access to Instant Abilities is anywhere from very strong to complete horseshit depending on what enemies are about (it gets Guns too, tho nothing in the class advances Gun stuff)

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 27, 2024

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Heavy swords are also good for beginners because you just build tanking and hit the enemy like...twice.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

all the jobs are good

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

SoP is so good, I keep trying to get a few friends to play it even now.

All of the jobs are good and can be hilarious. I never got tired of Jump being busted strong and satisfying. You could perfect dodge a thing, you could parry it, you could absorb and reflect things, or you could jump over everything with half way decent timing for massive damage.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Mr. Locke posted:

No, they basically act as a 'skin' for Jack- they inherit his classes and traits when you use them as the front party member. The only real change is that they only get the simplified kill actions, which if you're tired of watching a mini-cutscene whenever you Break an enemy might be a boon. Also, they visually appear as the gear they're wearing when you change them to leader, but they do inherit Jack's stats and gear mechanically.

They get Jack's kill animations for the bosses and for those tumorous walls, so you're not entirely without thrm, just mostly. I actually think it's an improvement, because coldly executioner-shooting enemies is much more to my tastes than Jack's more brutal violence.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Augus posted:

all the jobs are good

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah all the SoP jobs are good. I'm glad I played the game and DLC as they released so I could experience the new jobs as they got added. Having everything available right from the start (with unlocking) is probably kind if overwhelming.

Luckily, it's easy to pick what seems fun and also easy to change if you end up not liking it.

Also, Jack rules.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dragoon is the funnest, lancer is fun for turning your spear into a rail cannon, but the best class is probably sage. Or anyone with a gun.

SoP rules

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

jokes posted:

Dragoon is the funnest, lancer is fun for turning your spear into a rail cannon, but the best class is probably sage. Or anyone with a gun.

SoP rules

hard to argue

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
So far, the most endearing part of Stranger of Paradise's writing is that even the Fool's Missive for Wicked Arbor is confused why it's nothing like FFIX's Evil Forest, or why your pick from FFIX would be the Evil Forest in the first place.

The music for Wicked Arbor is the most Final Fantasy track yet, though, in that I wish the game would stop sending enemies at me so the fight music would stop interrupting it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 28, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Chocobo flying quest suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuccccckkkkkksssssssss

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think they retired that quest in patch 5.3

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Plowing through restaurant dining areas on a Segway as cloud strife while the EN voice for dimple from mob psycho screams at me from every corner NPC feels like a fever dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Plowing through restaurant dining areas on a Segway as cloud strife while the EN voice for dimple from mob psycho screams at me from every corner NPC feels like a fever dream.

Wait what. You watched mob in English?