Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Plowing through restaurant dining areas on a Segway as cloud strife while the EN voice for dimple from mob psycho screams at me from every corner NPC feels like a fever dream.

I usually experience that every Thursday after excessive drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waltzing Along posted:

Wait what. You watched mob in English?

Kyle McCarley is (was) basically perfect as Mob

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just got to start of C12. Gotta love it when everything opens up and a bunch of new stuff gets dropped on you. I'm guessing after I am done with all this side crap it's end game, point of no return.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
FFVII Remake is just "local man bullied into doing sidequests by every woman he meets"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I agree, they really nail who Cloud actually is.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

YggiDee posted:

FFVII Remake is just "local man bullied into doing sidequests by every woman he meets"

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
I just started playing ff5 for the first time ever (pixel remaster)… and my god the job system is incredible. The mix ‘n match play style of abilities is fun as hell.

I was going to play ff9 afterward (never played it before) but I’m not sure I can play anything after 5 now. :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jiffynuts posted:

I just started playing ff5 for the first time ever (pixel remaster)… and my god the job system is incredible. The mix ‘n match play style of abilities is fun as hell.

I was going to play ff9 afterward (never played it before) but I’m not sure I can play anything after 5 now. :colbert:

You can play any of the many (less good) spinoffs of FF5's feelings SE and others have tried to make.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Square Enix games with FF5-like job systems, in chronological order:

• Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Final Fantasy X-2
  • Final Fantasy Dimensions
  • Bravely Default
  • Final Fantasy Dimensions II
  • Bravely Second
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Bravely Default II
  • Octopath Traveler II

There's also some that aren't from Square Enix, such as Blue Dragon and Crystal Project, as well as games whose job systems aren't like FF5's such as Stranger of Paradise.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Crystal Project absolutely smacks :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There’s also XIII/XIII-2, though that’s a bit more wobbly in terms of a ‘job system’.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
There's also Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light, which Bravely Default is largely a successor to, but it's very... intentionally obtuse by design.

e; out of any game on that list Octopath Traveler II is absolutely fantastic and a game you should try even if you bounce off the first game.

Polderjoch fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 3, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bongo Bill posted:

• Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Final Fantasy X-2
  • Bravely Default
  • Bravely Second
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Bravely Default II
  • Octopath Traveler II

There's also some that aren't from Square Enix, such as Blue Dragon and Crystal Project, as well as games whose job systems aren't like FF5's such as Stranger of Paradise.

Are these good games

Yes
Yes
Yes, surprisingly
Yes
Never played it
Yes
Played it halfway through
Yes
Didn’t play it

Blue dragon good
Crystal project good
SOP is VERY GOOD

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Polderjoch posted:

There's also Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light, which Bravely Default is largely a successor to, but it's very... intentionally obtuse by design.

4 Heroes of Light's job system is more like that of FF3, as I recall, since you only have the abilities of the current job, not any sub-job. It is good, though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

YggiDee posted:

https://youtu.be/kPEHsPrwB_0?si=gv59qNUAkFT4h0lM

Priscilla is adorable and I have absolutely no idea who she is because I wasn't paying attention.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Bongo Bill posted:

4 Heroes of Light's job system is more like that of FF3, as I recall, since you only have the abilities of the current job, not any sub-job. It is good, though.

It's a bit of a weird one, this is mostly true (aside from one lategame job whose gimmick is literally just "use other job skills"), but magic can be assigned to your skill slots no matter what as long as it's in your inventory; the only thing magic jobs do is make it cheaper, more powerful, or otherwise play around with it.

It's definitely closer to FF3 than FF5 combat-wise, but I also mostly just mentioned it for its Boost and AP system, which is basically a precursor to Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler's own takes on BP as primary combat systems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

https://youtu.be/kPEHsPrwB_0?si=gv59qNUAkFT4h0lM

Priscilla is adorable and I have absolutely no idea who she is because I wasn't paying attention.

In the original FF7 she's the one you save from the monster and give CPR to in Junon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

jokes posted:

SOP is VERY GOOD

If anything, I'm feeling at the point I'm at (just finished killing Kraken, who by the way is the best design in the game) I'm feeling like SoP's main design problem is not taking enough note from FFV. I know that even without including the DLC I'm maybe 2/3 of the way through the game, but I've also just hit a cap at how strong the jobs I'm playing can get. Sage and Gambler are as strong as Sage and Gambler will ever be--hell, I actually think they hit diminishing returns, I think both of their last twenty or so job levels were basically worthless. But at the same time what's the point in playing anything else, if everything else is just worse and doesn't benefit from the investment I put in Sage and Gambler?

I think the game could've learned from FFV in cross-classing. Make it worth my while to care about the fact that Knight exists, both by rewarding me in other jobs from having it leveled and by letting Knight use the resources I've invested elsewhere.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Bongo Bill posted:

• Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Final Fantasy X-2
  • Bravely Default
  • Bravely Second
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Bravely Default II
  • Octopath Traveler II

Oooh, thank you for this. I haven’t played Dimensions yet, so that’s perfect. I have the iOS release of Octopath, not sure if it holds up to the original but I’ll give that one a shot too eventually.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

Crystal Project absolutely smacks :colbert:

It's so good. The guy who made it absolutely loves FF5 and platforming. And hell, so do I.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would be very careful recommending Crystal Project because while the classes/combat are very FF5 like it is absolutely a platforming puzzle exploration game and by default settings (can be tweaked somewhat) will make you back track a lot a lot through long platforming sequences. Its honestly way more similar to CrossCode to me even though combat and dungeon design wise they share no similarities but thats how ever present the platforming puzzle progression is.

If you do fire up FF Dimensions the coins to increase the max level you can obtain with jobs are limited unless you do the end game superboss grind. You'll get enough coins to max out a few jobs but nowehere near enough if you are jacks of all trading things. It doesn't really matter difficulty-wise as there are a total of three superbosses so there isn't exactly a ton of content to do that would even call for it, but be aware its probably the sourest part of the game for me and I otherwise love the game.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

If anything, I'm feeling at the point I'm at (just finished killing Kraken, who by the way is the best design in the game) I'm feeling like SoP's main design problem is not taking enough note from FFV. I know that even without including the DLC I'm maybe 2/3 of the way through the game, but I've also just hit a cap at how strong the jobs I'm playing can get. Sage and Gambler are as strong as Sage and Gambler will ever be--hell, I actually think they hit diminishing returns, I think both of their last twenty or so job levels were basically worthless. But at the same time what's the point in playing anything else, if everything else is just worse and doesn't benefit from the investment I put in Sage and Gambler?

I think the game could've learned from FFV in cross-classing. Make it worth my while to care about the fact that Knight exists, both by rewarding me in other jobs from having it leveled and by letting Knight use the resources I've invested elsewhere.

Iirc it's a lot more important in the post game dlc when you can get the affinity stuff higher and start basically combining jobs?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I'm saving the FF16 DLC for the PC release, since that game's gonna look really nice on PC. Hoping it comes out by the end of this year.

Game looks incredible already. It’s very funny that I went t from 16 > 7Rebirth I thought “drat 16 looked better” and now that I went back to start the dlc I somehow feel like 7 looked better

They’re both beautiful games

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jokes posted:

Are these good games

Yes
Yes
Yes, surprisingly
Yes
Never played it
Yes
Played it halfway through
Yes
Didn’t play it

Blue dragon good
Crystal project good
SOP is VERY GOOD

I thought BD2 is one of the weakest on that list personally. Of course I finished it but

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Iirc it's a lot more important in the post game dlc when you can get the affinity stuff higher and start basically combining jobs?

Also the other jobs are not just straight up worse because they've all got unique skills and moves that play differently and do different things.

You're saying "Well I can beat the game with just rebellion, why use any of Dantes other weapons?"

Like sage is neat and ultima is strong but I promise you I can kill poo poo on some of the heavy weapon classes well before you get the magic going because you can just bully enemies with heavy hits in SoP.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 3, 2024

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

yeah i honestly didn't touch magic too much in SoP and still had a great time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jiffynuts posted:

Oooh, thank you for this. I haven’t played Dimensions yet, so that’s perfect. I have the iOS release of Octopath, not sure if it holds up to the original but I’ll give that one a shot too eventually.

The iOS one is a gacha game and not really representative of the two main games (and also I don’t think it has a job system).

I’d recommend Octopath 2 if you want to play an Octopath. It was my favorite game I played last year, and that’s saying something because I played some really good games last year.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cleretic posted:

I personally think SoP, like every Final Fantasy, is categorically trash if they don't have a playable female protagonist which is SoP's biggest shortcoming.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

jokes posted:

I personally think SoP, like every Final Fantasy, is categorically trash if they don't have a playable female protagonist which is SoP's biggest shortcoming.

o_O

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is epic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Frankly, yes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought BD2 is one of the weakest on that list personally. Of course I finished it but

BD2 or Bravely Second?

In either event, I think BD1 was so good because it was the first, but BS and BD2 both iterate/improve upon BD1 in a lot of significant ways.

Like, everyone probably liked BD1 because it was both really great and we hadn't had a game like it, not really (4 warriors of light doesn't count). Bravely Second was just more Bravely Default 1, but with a ton of iterations and improvements and interesting changes. And Bravely Default 2 iterated even more in a LOT of ways that I think were pretty interesting and compelling. But all 3, at their core, were like 80% Bravely Default 1-- a game we've all already played (and loved). I also really like the art and the job aesthetics in the Bravely series, so I hope it's not dead. The clay-looking poo poo in BD2 was a weird one, though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Barudak posted:

I would be very careful recommending Crystal Project because while the classes/combat are very FF5 like it is absolutely a platforming puzzle exploration game and by default settings (can be tweaked somewhat) will make you back track a lot a lot through long platforming sequences. Its honestly way more similar to CrossCode to me even though combat and dungeon design wise they share no similarities but thats how ever present the platforming puzzle progression is.

I love CrossCode from what little I've played so this is actually motivation to check out the game for real.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jokes posted:

I'm sorry...that's dumb.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm sorry...that's dumb.

Honestly, thinking about it, I think you're right. It's pretty stupid to let that color your impression, so I'm going to go back to just plain loving SoP.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I don't get these jokes.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
SoP was good, if not great, ime

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I haven't played SOP yet. Sorry.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jokes posted:

Honestly, thinking about it, I think you're right. It's pretty stupid to let that color your impression, so I'm going to go back to just plain loving SoP.

As long as you're smart enough to realize it : )

It's a fun game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have