Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

My problem with Gaia is how barren and empty it is outside of the Mist Continent.

You can make this point about FF7 and 8 too though. FF7 has a giant sprawling metropolis in Midgar and then outside of that there's just Junon, the Gold Saucer, and then a bunch of tiny villages. You go to the Wutai continent twice in the entire game, once for Yuffie's sidequest and once to get Mime. FF8 has the same problem where there's one continent that only has Esthar and one continent that has Trabia Garden and the Shumi Village as the only settlements on them. There's the continent with Edea's Orphanage where I think Cid and Edea are the only people living on it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

I suspect that Delita is not meant to be read as sympathizing with Agrias, or any member or employ of a royal family.

i think he is, because he understands being screwed over by where you were born

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

cuntman.net posted:

Delita has a chip on his shoulder a mile wide about the entire social structure, and anyone that supports it. That includes retainers, knights, minor nobles, anybody- they're all just roadblocks in his way. He has no reservations about stabbing each and every one of them in the stomach if it advances his goals. The exception is that he does seem to sympathize and fall for Ovelia, who was apparently a nobody plucked out of an orphanage and shoved into what is essentially a gilded cage to play "princess". (Also he's a young man, and hormones, etc.).

Agrias was not screwed over by where she was born. She seems to be a knight and protector of the aristocracy by choice. Delita ain't got no time for her.

Edit: Although I guess I can't make any calls about him actually being on Ovelia's side. I personally think he was, but there's still a lot of debate about whether he was just using her or was planning to kill her even if she hadn't stabbed him first. He was a cold bastard like that.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 4, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

My problem with Gaia is how barren and empty it is outside of the Mist Continent. The Iifa Tree has good atmosphere, and so does Oeilvert and Ipsen's Castle, but there is basically no life anywhere outside of the Mist Continent, just dungeons. It was a common complaint I have with FFVIII. This huge world and everything is crammed onto one continent for the most part.

This works in its favour imo, you have the continent where everyone actually lives, which gives it a dense, warring states vibe and then the genuine wildernesses and post-apocalyptic wastelands of the other continents. It's a much better take on world design than the earlier FFs where the positioning of everything in the world was largely interchangable and locations didn't seem to have much relation to each other or a larger connection to the world

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

You can make this point about FF7 and 8 too though. FF7 has a giant sprawling metropolis in Midgar and then outside of that there's just Junon, the Gold Saucer, and then a bunch of tiny villages. You go to the Wutai continent twice in the entire game, once for Yuffie's sidequest and once to get Mime. FF8 has the same problem where there's one continent that only has Esthar and one continent that has Trabia Garden and the Shumi Village as the only settlements on them. There's the continent with Edea's Orphanage where I think Cid and Edea are the only people living on it lol

I don't think FFVII fits this because you spend equal time on two continents. You start in Midgar, go to Kalm, then Junon. Also Fort Condor and Chocobo Ranch are there. Then in the next continent you have: Costa del Sol,, Corel, Gold Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, Gungaga, Nibelheim, and Rocket Town. Hell, you probably actually spend mroe time on the second continent going from town to town.

I guess in a sense Esthar is probably bigger and more populous than drat near every place on the second continent in FFVII combined. But it's simply the value of diversity, of going to different places and seeing different stuff. It makes the world feel more interesting and inhabited, IMO.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

The exception is that he does seem to sympathize and fall for Ovelia, who was apparently a nobody plucked out of an orphanage and shoved into what is essentially a gilded cage to play "princess". (Also he's a young man, and hormones, etc.).

ah im glad youre agreeing with me on this

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cuntman.net posted:

he eventually comes to include ovelia with ramza as exceptions to his policy of "all nobles are bastards" but it takes a while; it's appropriate for him to treat her brusquely at first imo

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

ah im glad youre agreeing with me on this

I agree he eventually came to empathize with Ovelia, but he said that line to Agrias. Also, I don't think he sympathized with Ovelia during that scene, where he kidnapped her, punched her in the gut and tossed her over the chocobo like a sack of potatoes. The empathy came later when he saw how powerless and used she had been all her life.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

jokes posted:

LR is a good game

:yeah:

I keep waiting for a 13 Trilogy to come out on PS so I have an excuse to play it again but every year I'm bummed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think Delita not having feelings for Ovelia and planning on killing her all along anyway ruins the tragedy of that last scene.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Harrow posted:

I'd like a mod for the FF1 pixel remaster that just gives all the non-Chaos bosses more HP. It's got that problem where the bosses do have some dangerous attacks but they all die way too quickly to be a threat, like by the time you're done casting Haste on your attackers the boss is already dead. You could probably multiply boss HP by like 7 or maybe even 10 for the later ones and it'd feel good.

Chaos doesn't need that, though--one of the reasons he's actually a real fight in FF1 PR is that he has enough HP that you can't just burn him down before he can hurt you.

It exists, the FF1 Origins Mod has a "challenge" setting with all bosses getting more HP. Also restores the growth rates back to NES/PS1.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
also the fact that Matsuno said she lived through that last scene.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I think Delita not having feelings for Ovelia and planning on killing her all along anyway ruins the tragedy of that last scene.

Agreed, the ending just doesn't work if he didn't genuinely care for her. But for whatever reason, I remember there being a lot of vocal opposition back in the day, and that the knife he used to stab her was hidden in his bouquet.

Blockhouse posted:

also the fact that Matsuno said she lived through that last scene.

She lived? I never heard that. I know Delita lived and went on to have a long reign, but I never heard that she made it. I have a hard time believing they'd ever be able to co-exist when she clearly had zero trust for him, and then he did stab her.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It wouldn't be the first time a king had a queen spirited away somewhere out of sight and out of mind

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Schwartzcough posted:

Agreed, the ending just doesn't work if he didn't genuinely care for her. But for whatever reason, I remember there being a lot of vocal opposition back in the day, and that the knife he used to stab her was hidden in his bouquet.

She lived? I never heard that. I know Delita lived and went on to have a long reign, but I never heard that she made it. I have a hard time believing they'd ever be able to co-exist when she clearly had zero trust for him, and then he did stab her.

Yeah I can't find it off the top of my head but Matsuno tweeted about it. His twitter is basically just a trivia/lore dump for things he never put into games.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

thetoughestbean posted:

Beat Voice of Cards. It’s pretty Yoko Taro. Near enough, maybe not worth $40. Could definitely see this being another series added to Square Enix’s stable

It would be nice! Apparently the game was a bit of a passion project for him. I hope it does well so he can continue to do these sorts of things that aren't going to be big names like Nier but that he has a personal fondness for.

Also, two of the endings contain decent sequel bait, so there's that too. I actually think the ending where you resurrect the dragon is the most interesting. The realm isn't plunged into the chaos of endless war like the other two, and even though it's not the "get everything you want" ending, it sets itself up for it. The MC going "This is the last Dragontear, but if I choose to resurrect the dragon, I can maybe get more and then save both Mar and Melanie" completely makes logical sense. The only downers from it are Ridis and her mom are still mired in debt from not getting the reward, and of course even if the dragon is alive again it isn't providing Dragontear for the kingdom like in the "get everything" ending. Still, the MC becoming famous for traveling with two monsters is pretty cool.

Also I looked up the Game Master (Todd Haberkorn) and I expected some old bearded dude but he looks sorta young? He's also done a ton of voice work, but most of it is from series I haven't seen/played, or don't remember. He did do voices for P5 Strikers, but it wasn't for any named characters (or only minor ones at any rate).

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

I agree he eventually came to empathize with Ovelia, but he said that line to Agrias. Also, I don't think he sympathized with Ovelia during that scene, where he kidnapped her, punched her in the gut and tossed her over the chocobo like a sack of potatoes. The empathy came later when he saw how powerless and used she had been all her life.

he said it to ovelia in the remake. also of course he'd say that after he punched her, why else would he need to apologize

but anyway i think it works better as an introduction because it immediately shows hes more than a too cool for school soldier whos going to kill chaos

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

But it's simply the value of diversity, of going to different places and seeing different stuff. It makes the world feel more interesting and inhabited, IMO.

I think it's fine that most of the major locations in the game are on the Mist Continent since the story is basically that the world of FF9 has been engineered from the beginning to create conflict as resource-hungry kingdoms strain against each others' borders. FF9's world doesn't make as much "sense" as FF7 or 8's in terms of coming across as a place that might believably exist, but imo it doesn't need to any more than the S/NES games it's inspired by needed to. You get Conde Petie, the Black Mage Village, and Madain Sari on the Outer Continent, and the forlorn desolation and ruins of the Forgotten Continent. Esto Gaza and Daguerreo do feel a little awkwardly socketed in - they're both very cool but you barely spend any time there and they're kind of just in the middle of nowhere. However, I think overall 9's world maintains a good sense of adventure from start to finish, and the tone of the story it's telling means that imo having a fanciful world fits better than trying to answer what the local economy is balanced around for every town you design.

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I can't find it off the top of my head but Matsuno tweeted about it. His twitter is basically just a trivia/lore dump for things he never put into games.

i hated this immediately but the more i thought about it the more i realized this would be an amazing sequel hook for a game that will never be made

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Speaking of IX, has anyone played it with the Moguri Mod?
https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/home

Looks like they increased the details, added widescreen support, and increased the resolution using some AI upscaler.

The screenshots look great, but I'm not sure how it is overall from beginning to end.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
For FF7 and FF8, presumably there are many towns and settlements in between the ones you can visit marked on your map. Deling City is called the capital of Galbadia, but otherwise it's the only city in Galbadia. Crisis Core introduced a place near Mideel called Banora for instance.

FF9 characters make explicit mention of the fact that the rest of the world is pretty deserted though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

he said it to ovelia in the remake. also of course he'd say that after he punched her, why else would he need to apologize

but anyway i think it works better as an introduction because it immediately shows hes more than a too cool for school soldier whos going to kill chaos

Huh, I only played WotL once, and forgot that they completely changed that scene. Well, the OG FFT line definitely made more sense when he was saying it to Agrias. And even talking to Ovelia, his WotL line is a bit out of character for the point that scene takes place, but it at least makes more sense in that context.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

You're sabotaging your argument by bringing up Gaia and Tretra Master. It's like me trying to push my case for FFX being the best FF and pointing to lightning dodging as an example of why.

Your other points are pretty strong, though. Music is a really tough one for me.

OST rankings is the real challenge. Just about every game delivers in that regard - even FF15, a game that's usually ranked on the lower end as a game, is profoundly good in the music area. FF13 is the only clear loser to me because it has the only final boss theme I don't like, but I'm admittedly unfamiliar with its soundtrack as a whole so I wouldn't know if its got any gems.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Speaking of IX, has anyone played it with the Moguri Mod?
https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/home

Looks like they increased the details, added widescreen support, and increased the resolution using some AI upscaler.

The screenshots look great, but I'm not sure how it is overall from beginning to end.

Yeah, it's fantastic. I played through with the Moguri Mod graphical stuff last year and kept being surprised by just how great the upscaled backgrounds looked. I didn't use the widescreen option--it looked great on some screens, a little weird on others--though I think there was an update since that might've improved the widescreen.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Still better than a translation that's straight up wrong and bad

I will take L i t t l e M o n e y and occasional jank if it means getting the one-liners like Animals have no God instead of babbys first theatre performance.

Chillgamesh posted:

i hated this immediately but the more i thought about it the more i realized this would be an amazing sequel hook for a game that will never be made

And now I hate it even more.

That we got the FFTA games instead of FFT2 and FFT3 is a crime.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"occasional jank" is a very forgiving way to describe how long stretches of the backhalf of FFT's original translation are incomprehensible babble

There's a reason all the lines people remember are from the first chapter

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 4, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

defenders of the WotL translation should surrender or die in obscurity, imo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

OST rankings is the real challenge. Just about every game delivers in that regard - even FF15, a game that's usually ranked on the lower end as a game, is profoundly good in the music area. FF13 is the only clear loser to me because it has the only final boss theme I don't like, but I'm admittedly unfamiliar with its soundtrack as a whole so I wouldn't know if its got any gems.

I won't drown you in XIII tracks but I think this is a good representative sample of the best it has to offer:

Blinded by Light - The normal battle music, and generally agreed to be a contender for best normal battle music in the series Hampered by the fact FFXIII combat is all about speed so you will almost never ideally hear the best parts of the song in the game itself.

Snow's Theme - My favorite character theme in the game

Sunleth Waterscape - A bubbly rendition of XIII's main theme, and it might as well serve as the theme song for one of the characters, although it's supposed to be the theme song for a location. I just imagine Vanille singing it.

Dust to Dust - As a song, it's absolutely beautiful. But it plays for a place you can visit near the end of the game and I guess they wanted to do something like Zanarkand again, right down to this playing during battles and there being no victory fanfare music. Only it doesn't work because everything on Pulse is awful and nonsense. This song was better used in XIII-2.

Fighting Fate - I would hesitate to call anything in FFXIII brilliant but this song is perfectly utilized with the main villain's introduction to make the most brilliantly done scene in the game.

I know you didn't ask for it but all this XIII music makes me think of XIII-2 music. Gotta rep the better game some more.

Eclipse + Eclipse (Aggressive Mix) - In XIII-2, you have both a normal area theme and then a more intense version of that theme for when enemies spawn. I love it.

Paradigm Shift - XIII-2 has several different battle themes, all of which are very underrated, but this is one of the best normal battle themes in the franchise.

Caius Theme - Best theme for best villain.

Noel's Theme - One of the most heartbreaking and powerful vocal tracks in all of FF.

Crazy Chocobo - Last but not least, I'd be crucified if I didn't post probably the most iconic song of the game. XIII-2 is just overflowing with great vocal tracks of all kinds.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Evil Fluffy posted:

I will take L i t t l e M o n e y and occasional jank if it means getting the one-liners like Animals have no God instead of babbys first theatre performance.

And now I hate it even more.

That we got the FFTA games instead of FFT2 and FFT3 is a crime.

FFTA and FFTA2 are excellent games (except for the law system, which FFTA2 fixes).

Name one problem with it (that isn’t character design)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I was surprised to find out FFTA never got rereleased on any other platform. I feel they should. I'd play that on my phone

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s a very simple, dumb game and your team becomes as gods pretty early, much like regular FFT.

FFTA2’s bazaar/territory system was also kind of dumb but was mostly forgettable.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

jokes posted:

FFTA and FFTA2 are excellent games (except for the law system, which FFTA2 fixes).

Name one problem with it (that isn’t character design)

I wish the job system in FFTA2 wasn't so closely tied to items and that jobs also weren't so closely tied to character races. Basically I want the insane versatility of customization that FFT naively provides the player.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm pretty deep into my FF12 SFF run (just got to the Great Crystal), and I agree with the OP, it makes the game better in every way, and I already loved the original game. All the new technicks are super cool, and I'm realizing that a lot of the late mid-game/end-game weapons have been given unique tweaks that allow them to be used outside of their expected niches, which makes job synergy more open than I expected, which I appreciate. I also noticed the modder hasn't hosed around with the optional dungeons either: I tried to do some hunts in the Necrohol/Deadlands around the time they became available, and I just got shredded. The random mobs of goblins and undead were legitimately more difficult than the marks they surrounded.

Revisiting XII has made me appreciate how well those zones' aesthetics are suited for a bonus area though. "High Fantasy Ground Zero" is a great concept for an eldritch dungeon, and the flooded, worn, and warped geometry sells that you're spelunking where you shouldn't. I wish there was a little more dungeon-focused content to these areas outside of optional bosses and marks, but I enjoy the funereal atmosphere nonetheless.

Which other FF bonus areas/optional dungeons are people fond of?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm mad that Tactics is the only PS1 FF game Square hasn't released on the Switch.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Pigbuster posted:

You should revisit the FF13 series soundtracks, IMO top tier FF tunes throughout, but I’m a huge fan of electronic stuff in my orchestral vidya game music and the FF13 series has it in spades. For me, great music can elevate a title far beyond its apparent faults, especially in the case of the original FF13.

I just about lost it when the recent Strangers of Paradise demo quoted some tunes/melodies from FF13. Really excited for the full game as Naoshi Mizuta is in charge and he was responsible for loads of tracks in FF13-2 and LR!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blue Labrador posted:

I'm pretty deep into my FF12 SFF run (just got to the Great Crystal), and I agree with the OP, it makes the game better in every way, and I already loved the original game. All the new technicks are super cool, and I'm realizing that a lot of the late mid-game/end-game weapons have been given unique tweaks that allow them to be used outside of their expected niches, which makes job synergy more open than I expected, which I appreciate. I also noticed the modder hasn't hosed around with the optional dungeons either: I tried to do some hunts in the Necrohol/Deadlands around the time they became available, and I just got shredded. The random mobs of goblins and undead were legitimately more difficult than the marks they surrounded.

Revisiting XII has made me appreciate how well those zones' aesthetics are suited for a bonus area though. "High Fantasy Ground Zero" is a great concept for an eldritch dungeon, and the flooded, worn, and warped geometry sells that you're spelunking where you shouldn't. I wish there was a little more dungeon-focused content to these areas outside of optional bosses and marks, but I enjoy the funereal atmosphere nonetheless.

Which other FF bonus areas/optional dungeons are people fond of?

Nabreus/Nabudis has always been one of my favourite takes on the classic old corrupted wasteland aesthetic, you really do feel like you stumbled into a place absolutely not part of the living world

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm coming up on Gran Pulse in FF13, which is where I stopped the first time I played it. How are you supposed to interact with the hunts there? I know there's more story sections after it. Are you supposed to do the story up until the final dungeon and then come back to Gran Pulse to do the side quests?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Final Fantasy

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Boy of Joy posted:

You should revisit the FF13 series soundtracks, IMO top tier FF tunes throughout, but I’m a huge fan of electronic stuff in my orchestral vidya game music and the FF13 series has it in spades. For me, great music can elevate a title far beyond its apparent faults, especially in the case of the original FF13.

I just about lost it when the recent Strangers of Paradise demo quoted some tunes/melodies from FF13. Really excited for the full game as Naoshi Mizuta is in charge and he was responsible for loads of tracks in FF13-2 and LR!

FF13 has really great music: the combat music, title music, it’s real good

an actual dog posted:

Final Fantasy

How dare you

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Final Fantasy

enormous if factual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm coming up on Gran Pulse in FF13, which is where I stopped the first time I played it. How are you supposed to interact with the hunts there? I know there's more story sections after it. Are you supposed to do the story up until the final dungeon and then come back to Gran Pulse to do the side quests?

gently caress if I remember the exact details but I swear there is a Hunt you can do which opens up a shop or something. I just remember I did zero of the Cie'th stones in my first run but then did a decent number in my next, last run and I was grateful. It gave me lots of helpful goodies.

So you can definitely do a few before progressing with the story and finishing the main game. There are optional character moments scattered around too so you can pick those up while doing these sidequests. I think they unlock areas or something too so maybe you need to do the sidequests to get some of those extra scenes, I can't recall.

I was shocked Yeul was namedropped in an optional scene on Pulse. XIII-2 wasn't made up wholecloth.