Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If every final fantasy is the best final fantasy, them every final fantasy must also be the worst final fantasy

makes u think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FFV is just like the real world, where all problems can be dealt with if you throw enough money at them.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I ever play FFV again it's going to be a 4JF, because I know myself well enough to know that if there's a good source of grinding available brainworms are going to make me do it.

In FF2 I spent hours grinding captains in Fynn because it was easy to multitask that and something else on a 2nd monitor. Firion and Co all had over 4000hp and maxed evade before I finally got on with the rest of the game.

In FF4 thanks to auto battle speeding things up considerably, a faster exp curve, and a really dumb decision to grind out summon items, my party was in their mid 60s before finally getting the mind flayer summon and going on to kill the dark elf.

In FFV I spent way too long grinding the statues in the Bal castle basement and while not everyone has every job mastered, I basically never have to switch away from freelancer at this point (just about to finish world 2).

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PneumonicBook posted:

When a freelancer would counter, if their atb was above 75% they would often times lose their entire bar

I see this one a lot and just figured it was a weird quirk with FFV, since the last time I played the game past like.. Karnak was almost 20 years ago before I was even in high school.

I've also noticed that when enemies have multiple atttacks, your party's health doesn't go down until all the attacks have finished, E.g. Lenna has 1500hp. Enemy attacks once, Lenna takes 500 damage. Lenna has 1500hp. Enemy attacks a second time, Lenna takes 700 damage. Lenna now has 300hp. It's entirely cosmetic and I just chalked it up to engine weirdness, but it's there.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

Just thinking ahead on FFV, how badly would I screw myself not using any offensive magic jobs? I don't think there's any barrier change gimmicks bosses or anything of that sort, is there?

Fork tower probably isn't doable unless you stockpile a bunch of rods to break. That wouldn't lock you out of the end of the game but you wouldn't be able to get the world 3 sub and therefore no mime job and you'd only get 2 tablets for the legendary weapons.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to finishing FF5PR. Did anyone else run into a bug where Necrophobe didn't actually show up and they had the final save point open right off the bat? Because I was really confused when I never ran into him before fighting the final boss.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Movement speed has been decreased for the ability ""Dash"".

Boooooooooooo

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
where THE gently caress is the ff6 pixel remaster

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chillgamesh posted:

I remember reading speculation that it might be possible to make a randomizer that shares content between the games, is that still looking like it might be doable or nah?

It's too early to tell at this point. The most people have managed to do is tweaking values already in place, asset replacement, and just recently someone figured out how to add new assets altogether. In theory something like that might happen since all the games seem to share the same engine, but who knows.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nope!

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

Well :actually: Auto Crossbow out damages it at high levels because physical attacks scale better with levels than magic ones. I think. :v:

Especially since if you want to minmax you'd be pumping his strength with esper bonuses and slapping an imp set and dragon horn on him.

Not that it's even remotely necessary in this game, buuuut

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

Elixir Syndrome is powerful

And I say that as a former Elixir Syndrome sufferer

Now I intentionally use them in situations like that just to spite my dumb younger self

Leviathan in FF4DS broke me of elixir syndrome. I was determined to kill him the moment the Feymarch became available and I was probably a good 10 or so levels below where I should've been at that point. I barely won by making Cecil chug elixirs to stay alive and chucking every single use battle item I could. I almost went and loaded my last save because 'what if I need those later in the game? :ohdear:'

I did not need those later in the game.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Reminds me a lot of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8vz186pjY0

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

garthoneeye posted:

I hope they fix the evade bug but leave suplex phantom train and wind god Gau.

The evade bug has been fixed in all versions besides the SNES/PSX ones, afaik. Wind God Gau probably won't exist since Gau can't equip a Merit Award in the GBA and old Mobile/PC versions. You can also suplex the train in all versions so far.

Even if none of this holds true for the PR, there'll inevitably be mods to change it back. The 'official' modding discord for PC FF games (https://discord.gg/bSnpVBV) has tons of mods for all the existing PRs that do things like restoring the peninsula of power, changing exp curves back to their old versions, changing sprites, adding dialogue portraits, etc. They also have mods to change the soundtracks back to old NES/SNES versions for some unfathomable reason.

Just.. avoid the discussion channels. There's a lot of people with brainworms who like to argue about what the "definitive" versions of the game look and sound like and a ridiculous amount of complaining about SqEx's 'lazy ports'.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The evade stat doesn't work. Like, straight up doesn't function. Instead, Mblock% works for evading/blocking both magic and physical attacks. Some characters at the end of the game can hit 128% MBlock% and be pretty much invincible with the exception of like half a dozen enemy abilities.

EDIT: I know it's fairly easy to hit with Terra and Celes, and I think a few other characters are able to equip the right gear to do it as well, but I don't remember who off the top of my head. FF6 is not a hard game, so it's not like this is even remotely necessary.

This isn't even scratching the surface of bugs in the game though. If you know where to look, FF6 is astonishingly busted.

dolphinbomb fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 11, 2022

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I always just ignore the chests my first time through the cave, because one of them turns into a lightning rod if you wait until the Locke scenario. Breaking that rod will one shot the tunnelarmor.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Overall FF6PR feels harder than previous incarnations. Ever since hitting the floating continent it has been a struggle.

Ultima Weapon is a force to be reckoned with when it's spamming flare at you for 700-800 damage and everyone barely has 1000 hp. This is also the first time I've ever actually seen it use its Mind Blast ability that throws a shitload of random status effects on the party. The first Humbaba fight was pretty rough as well, and I ended up cheesing it by buying a bunch of super balls from Tzen.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, Searching for Friends really has no right going as hard as it does :stare:

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did leaping on the veldt always cause the game to re-average Gau's level?

Because it sure as poo poo does in FF6PR and uh.. that's kind of a big oversight!

edit: lmao on the plus side it apparently gives him the bonus for whatever equipped esper he has for all those levels, so now I have a Gau who just gained 26 levels and now has 108 strength

edit 2: I've been systematically leveling each character to 50 to get the achievement by:

-Heading to the island with Doma
-Casting Vanish on themselves
-Equipping a Growth Egg
-Getting into random encounters on the grasslands areas. Each encounter solo with a growth egg gives at least a level per fight until level 45 or so, and all the enemies you find there exclusively use physical attacks.

Gau was my last character to level, so I was running around on the veldt to get the Io rage since flare star chews through random encounters pretty effectively. I ran into a group of Tonberries and leapt into them because gently caress dealing with that, and suddenly the achievement for getting all characters to level 50 popped. When I got Gau a few fights later he was level 54, when he'd been level 28 a few minutes previous.

dolphinbomb fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 8, 2022

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also either I broke his scripting somehow or the Magi Master doesn't cast Ultima anymore if he dies while berserked :psyduck:

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I downloaded the demo, and as much as I'm excited to KILL CHAOS, this might be one I wait until I have a PS5 for. The game is rough on a base PS4. It plays alright, but even in performance mode there's a lot of frame drops during battle, and outside of prerendered cutscenes the game is very blurry and low-res.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/enigma0451/status/1503513501314293762

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had a friend growing up who loved playing JRPGs, but for some reason for the longest time didn't realize you need to actually equip your party members.

Despite that, he'd always manage to get way farther into them than one would expect, until he'd hit a boss that couldn't be brute-forced until RNG smiled on him and gave him a win.

To this day I still have no idea how he managed to get to the end of Edo in Final Fantasy Legend II.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

No, I just looked it up. It was Kazushige Nojima, the guy who wrote the FFX games who said that he wants to make X-3, Nomura confirmed in a 2021 interview that a document for X-3 exists but it's sleeping, not that "He wants to make X-3"

Also, it was pretty clear when I said "He didn't 'do' 1 or 2" to mean he didn't make it, He was not the director or the producer, not that he didn't design characters for it.

So, no, you are in fact wrong he never said he wanted to make it, he only confirms that it does exist. Nojima, who wrote the games is the one who wants to make it.

no it was Nomura op

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

parasyte posted:

Yeah I may have uh, done a bit much grinding. Everyone's main weapon is level 12 or 13, there's a Berserk at 8, a Blink at 10... and this was before I even got to Mysidia.

Pretty cool so far though and the short bit of Leviathan blew my high as gently caress mind right out. Really didn't expect people living there.

This was my party before I even thought about heading to the dreadnought.

Not pictured: everyone's maxed evade.

Coeurls could still wipe my party out before I got a chance to do anything because of partywide paralysis with 100% hit rate.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was pretty good at Curtain Call on the 3DS, and had a good portion of the library at S or SS (with a handful of SSS ranks) but between the tighter timings and new gimmicks (multi button anything, basically) I was struggling with the demo last night. Double holds still feel super awkward, especially when you're pressing other buttons at the same time.

The response time on switch (docked) also feels a bit off and makes rapid notes feel more like you're just mashing buttons and hoping it works out. It almost feels like there's some sort of input buffer in place. I might try the demo on PS4 tonight and see if that's any different.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Epi Lepi posted:

Am I blind? I downloaded the Theatrhythm demo for PS5 this morning but I couldn't find any option to auto calibrate the button presses. I saw a slider to change the timing but I was expecting a Rock Band/Guitar Hero-esque "hit the button and we'll tell you how off you are".

It's kind of hidden. When you have the slider highlighted, press X to open the calibration screen.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All y'all complaining about the lazy Amano art know that their heads are supposed to be cups, right?

Because it's bundled in Cuphead.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

djfooboo posted:

gently caress Mystic Quest is all bops

Curtain Call only had Battle 1/2 from MQ, and it always kind of bugged me that they left out Doom Castle, because it loving slaps. I was unreasonably excited to see it in Final Bar Line.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

did The After Years have no new music or did it suck or what lol

Everything about The After Years sucked.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's a whole drat officially licensed album from sqex that's nothing but Big Bridge remixes, I'm surprised there aren't more of them in FBL.

https://vgmdb.net/album/71685

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
you're reading an awful lot into "holy poo poo the ps5 is stupid powerful and it's making it easy to develop for as opposed to having to work around a console's weird architecture"

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Turns out FF1 is a hilariously short game when you remove all the grinding. Turned on 4x gil and 4x EXP and had random encounters turned off for most of the game after the marsh cave. Between monster chests, forced encounters, and about 25 minutes of grinding for Warmech, I was in my late 40s by the end, and it took me all of 4 hours.

Kind of curious to see how much faster I can get it, especially since I wasted a good chunk of time looting a ton of chests full of gil that I didn't need and getting lost in the sunken palace.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FF4 The After Years exists.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I finally got a PS5 today and with it, Stranger of Paradise.

This game fucks kills chaos

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Owl Inspector posted:

Correct, starting with FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN STRANGER OF PARADISE 2

If anything, they should lean harder into stupid titles.

DISSIDIA: WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN: STRANGER OF PARADISE TYPE-0 MAXIMA REBIRTH when, sqex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheHoosier posted:

I'm at Costa del Sol and I loving love all of it. Dunno if this should count as a spoiler, but Red 13 Rocket League was very funny.

Literally the words out of mouth when I realized what was happening were "this is just loving Rocket League."

HD DAD posted:

FF7 is incredibly stupid and I’m glad SE realizes this and leaned into it.

This is honestly the best part of the remake trilogy. The devs understand the assignment so well. Every single little goofy and stupid thing from OG FF7 is leaned into and redone in a way that feels endearingly faithful without feeling like they're going "hey, remember this? Remember this thing from the original game? Yeah you do, eat it up, you nostalgia craving pig."

I also still appreciate that they've so far completely nailed everyone's characterization. One of my biggest worries before Remake came out was that they were going to alter main character designs to better line up with appearances in later media or popular fan impressions, i.e. Cloud into the withdrawn, sullen archetype they carved out for him in KH, Aeris as the quiet, demure princess needing to be saved, etc. Nah. Cloud is a goofy dipshit trying way too hard to be a badass, Aeris is Manic Pixie Dreamgirl incarnate, Yuffie is a chaos gremlin, Hojo is overwhelmingly slimy, etc. I'm only up to the Golden Saucer, but once he joins up I fully expect Vincent to be an absolute loving loser who joins up just because Cloud and co. are on their way to fight Sephiroth and will be legit kind of disappointed if they try to make him more of an interesting character.