Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zurtilik posted:

Is there a typical time the games drop on release day? I've got a 4 day weekend and I'm gonna go all in on FFV remaster.

Typically midnight for consoles, ~1pm EST on Steam. Bigger releases sometimes have a global launch regardless of platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Video games are such an expensive and globalized industry now that it's impossible to exert complete creative control over any modern product. Even if your project leads share a unified artistic vision and development timeline, both huge ifs given Square-Enix's track record, your asset team is going to be outsourced to Malaysia, your UI is being developed in Singapore, and somehow it all has to come together into a cohesive final product that also has enough mainstream appeal to make back its investment. And with that popularity comes consumer expectations of content and length. Even if FF7R was the best JRPG ever made at 15 hours long then players would revolt, even the same exact kind of player who complains about video games being padded out over 100 hours. This is hardly a problem unique to AAA productions though, indies and mid-budget games have many of the same problems with editing. Less is more, but ironically, more is easier.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yakuza does okay if it sells 1 million copies in a year, every Final Fantasy game is shooting for 10x that number at minimum.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's finally time to evolve the sphere grid into the sphere sphere. We have the technology.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's the only ending that brings the overall theme of X/X-2 back to being personal to Yuna after all the poo poo you did for the world at large and it's good.

She'll get over it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Gamers will not be free until the last soundtrack muter is strangled with the controller cords of the last cutscene skipper.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Terra with blond hair is a travesty.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I replayed FFX last year when I was 35 and I gotta say Auron, you might be some grizzled undead bushido master, but I'm still lookin' good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One of the worst examples of Final Fantasy age dilation is Quistis. Girl is supposed to be this mentor figure to all the other little seedsters with complicated protective yet romantic feelings toward Squall, then you find out she's like a whole year older.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

Maybe I'm not a real PC Gamer(tm) but I cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about EGS versus Steam. I just don't care at all and it is bizarre to me how much of a crusade some people make of it, still.

Imagine the console wars of the 90s but instead the only price of entry is the name of the app you click on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

IIRC the first Calm didn't happen for a few hundred centuries until after Sin's formation at which point you'd think most people in Spira would have given up on the Church of Yevon altogether.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They did eventually come out with an official English translation of Suteki Da Ne, I remember seeing it performed at one of the music of FF concerts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

bobjr posted:

The big zoom in on Wakka in the desert is also stupidly funny to me.

I also remember that part in Zanarkand where the camera zooms directly into Rikku's rear end for no discernible reason?? Square was going wild with those dynamic cameras in the early PS2 era.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

It's the zoom in on "when will she stop dancing" which is sending me

No don't hang on!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Everything feels like a massive trend whenever 3 people post the same thing in a row on a website with like 20 posters on it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lightning Returns.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Final Fantasy has already survived multiple time travel plot attempts, it will endure more.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My physics professor was fond of saying that we are always traveling through time, although it is unfortunately not the fun kind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah I always thought it was kind of like the "bless your heart" of Spira, being a polite euphemism for "this person is a total idiot."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That's when you pull out your boy Yojimbo and have him go to work. Pay 2 Win, baby!!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FFX invented P2W mechanics in video games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The internet has already tried to make me accept that a half-button press is something that exists, I will remain strong against this further indignity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sounds like a lot of people are Cait Miffed!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The worst part about FF7R's combat is that sometimes you have to switch off Tifa.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tidus was fine. He's essentially wearing a sports uniform for the entire narrative, you'd look pretty dumb too if you got transported to a post-apocalyptic world in your wrestling singlet.

Lulu had the weakest design for me. Lots of creative opportunities for how to translate a Black Mage to a tropical island theme, instead just went for a traditional gothic look. I like her character a lot but the design never worked for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think FF16's story was unsatisfying to me because the longer the game went on, it felt like all the interpersonal human and societal conflict was externalized into Ultima did it. Killing God is not especially new ground for a Final Fantasy game, but I think the stronger entries are usually better at making the conflict still feel deeply personal to the main characters and the world at large. I felt like Clive consistently and miraculously being absolved of having truly done anything wrong removed his agency as a character and made him come off more like a dupe easily deceived by just about everybody.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I feel like Quistis was originally written to be much older, then maybe they realized that was kind of a bad decision, but kept her personality the same.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tifa, Yuffie, and Cloud. Girl Squad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I didn't like how FF16's main villain basically absolved Clive of any guilt or even complicity in his brother's death which actually didn't happen, big misunderstanding because it made him come off like a total rube easily deceived by basically everyone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's very well-acted, at least.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I noticed that Octopath 2 had really uneven speech levels so I must conclude that either Square fired all of their audio engineers or the pandemic really interfered with sound mixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Incorrect.