Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm coming up on Gran Pulse in FF13, which is where I stopped the first time I played it. How are you supposed to interact with the hunts there? I know there's more story sections after it. Are you supposed to do the story up until the final dungeon and then come back to Gran Pulse to do the side quests?
There is basically a breadcrumb trail of cieth stones you should do on your way to Oerba to get experience and unlock teleporting cieth stones. When you first start they are basically the only open cieth stones and they will lead you around the map pretty linearly. What should be considered optional cieth stones don't start unlocking until IIRC you get the Pulse teleporter, at which point you move forward doing the next maps cieth stones instead of turning back around into pulse and getting wrecked by end game cieth stones.

You can then teleport back from Oerba to Pulse to do the optional cieth stones for fun, gear, and exp. I don't think the end game cieth stones unlock until you beat the end boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Also everybody hates the fal'cie boss themes because they aren't catchy and you know what? That's on purpose, it's alien music for alien beings. It's bad on purpose and I love experimental music like that and the attempt at jazz that plays when you extinct the snuffleupaguses in FF13.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The 25th Madden was called Madden 25.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Chaos now, and Gilgamesh in 5 days.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Artelier posted:

Lightning Returns question: I've done the main quests in the four areas, all ticked in my Quest log. So I'm running around doing sidequests and those are getting knocked out too. But there don't seem to be new main quests appearing. Is it just going to be this until the final day? I just got to Day 6 and am wondering if I should start fast forwarding through days with the inn or something since the majority of my side quests are complete too.
I'd need a guide to really say yes or no but I think the only thing that pops up are some end of days side quests when you get into the last chunk of days. I think there's a day change cinematic right around the point you're at that unlocks that phase if I'm not completely remembering it wrong.

Most people tend to finish early and pass at least a few days. If you're not extincting monsters you're basically ready to push into the end day. If you are extincting monsters you're probably gonna skip a day or so anyway unless you lost at a boss and didn't reload.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I never got to far with FFV, mostly due to FOMO with the job system. Any good guides or suggestions for job leveling? Like what character should go job A until whatever point and then go to job B.
Ff5 isn't really that type of game. Your minute to minute job choices depend on what jobs trivialize the random and boss encounters from their innate abilities and they level up a bit beside. You don't really get to (nearly completely optional) big brain character building until some end game farm spots open up.

If your FOMO is strong even knowing that then you're a good candidate for an option I am reluctant to recommend as often as the rest of the thread which is a first game fiesta. Can't miss out if your conduct bans it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I just got to the part in 4 where you return to the underworld and laughed at the part where they very nearly copy the script from FF2 Cids death but FF4 Cid just falls asleep.

E. The correct length for games like JRPGs where you pretty statically run over a map is 20-30 hours

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In the time of guides, friends, and YouTubes of games I tend to forget that you should be wandering around for hours because you don't know where the script trigger is hiding to advance the plot.

That's another point that grinding has been more often a fill in for the wander experience. The new experience curves in the PRs seem to assume you're following a guide though so that's nice.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the idea is you look as old as you feel considering the pyreflies are bound by sheer force of will of the ghost. The fiends aren't exactly presenting as 150 year old wolves

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I can't believe you're going to get me to admit, on this most holy of days, that the 5 job system is way too fiddly to understand what your impacts are going to be running one job or another with XYZ slotted in. I had a strange appreciation for 1 and 3 PR being a bit simpler. 3 PR ends up being really good since you're can easily switch jobs and it's pretty apparent when and why you want certain jobs.

Lightning Returns had a really good garment/job system with clear archetypal goals to have a phys, mag, defense set up as a baseline and then encouraging you to think about hybrids or further hyperfocus on one aspect as bosses had different strengths and weaknesses.

exquisite tea posted:

It's finally time to evolve the sphere grid into the sphere sphere. We have the technology.
Seems like everyone has been content to put sphere grids into sphere grids to get their hyper sphere grids instead of going 3d with the grid.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every digital copy of FF7 that isn't emulated from a PS1 ROM (I think that is everybody but Sony platforms, and maybe only PS3?) is based on the PC port which had grammar corrections but no major retranslation. The grammar corrected script is flat out better even if you miss this guy are sick. Because it's just small useful grammar corrections.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The good thing about the fiesta is you're still encouraged to change jobs around on your way to the next crystal or to lock in the abilities that will make your build once you have all 4. You can't play games wrong but any conduct where you can't change jobs at whim in FF5 is noticeably The Wrong Way.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Chillgamesh posted:

So uhh Adamantoises are kicking my loving rear end. Am I supposed to be able to get trapezohedrons before I kill the last boss in FF13 or wait until after?

You quoted my post, said "That's not true at all", then when I expanded on my point with specific details you said "you actually agree with me". :ok:
Not really meant to before the final boss. It's an awful experience/nearly impossible without a nearly complete crystarium either for stats or for Vanille role level 5 or both and the final boss unlocks the last crystarium level that gives you those.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Vaan is the player character because Ashe would never run around the streets yelling I'm Basch fon Ronsenberg! Basch lives!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The PR sprite work is great but definitely not period appropriate which I'm sure is getting a lot of people up in arms.

The battle backgrounds are meh but I understand the difficulty in making the battle scene work in unknowable amounts of resolutions.

The spells and the map water effects are starting to wear thin but also I'm 50 hours into PRs so :shrug:

Considering they seem to have made Final Fantasy Rpg maker for themself I don't think we'll be waiting forever for the bonus content, even if the definitive version of FF2 is the one you play the least. Also possible I'm way off base here but I don't think you make this modular set that can hold every 2d Final Fantasy, sell a decent amount, and say "wrap it up and throw the source in the file cabinet."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You've barely just begun and mastering jobs is more of a mid game thing (and on your first run should be something that happens occasionally partially by accident) if you aren't the sort who can mindlessly grind 6 hours straight.

The ideal way to play in my opinion is to settle on an archetype for each character and switch between a few jobs as utility demands that fit the archetype. Every job level isn't going to be a banger in which case you can assuage yourself with the fact that you're closer to mastery whenever it becomes relevant. Your physical archetypes have pretty basic goals: get 2 hand and or dual wield from knight or ninja and then you can splat around like switching into mystic knight for elemental vuln bosses or thief with thief glove for rare steals in between making GBS threads out physical damage. Your magical archetypes just need to keep up with spell levels as availability happens so you can switch them through a variety of magical rainbow or muscle wizard set ups as you feel the need.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Blue mages are a pretty good all arounder made better by whatever you slot in so while learn is useful for ultimate flexibility I found blue mage with white (utility), with summon (super spellcaster), or with barehanded/two hand (muscle wizard) to be more useful beside learning blue compared to another class with their slot "wasted" by only having learn in it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everyone tries to explain that Spira is the antipode of the FF7 World which is how Shinra did his thing. But actually I think all Final Fantasy worlds are a Matryoshka sphere with each subsequent game being a new layer and Shinra simply broke on through to the other side.

Later games fail to fill up the world because they are geometrically bigger.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If we're talking about villains that loop around to having the right idea if they tried to do it with less genocide, there's Orphan too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Harrow posted:

Are there missable blue magics in FFV, or are they all still available at endgame if you're willing to go track them down?

Also, is there a point at which it's like, "okay, now is a good time to start using a Blue Mage" or anything? I'm guessing there's not much blue magic available right when you unlock it but I'm wondering if I should just have one in my party most of the time just to learn stuff or if I should wait until I unlock something else to start digging into blue magic.
You can get aero in the dungeon you get the job and start doing decent magic damage, and aera not long after. They also get swords at a point Str scaling hasn't kicked in so they can whack things for decent damage too. Blue mage is a great starting class and a forever class if you want it to be, just add some stat boosting abilities like barehanded or two hand for Str stat to put your swords to use, or black magic or summon for raw magic stat to make scaling calculation blue better, or white magic or time magic for utility.

If you're blue magic curious you at least want to spend the time to learn Blue Magic on any spell caster to slot it into a summoner or white mage or something later on.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hey little guy, why are you called a skull eat-
:ohno:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Can't believe there's a bunch of loving sickos throwing softs at statues and turning them into writhing, dying, blobs of flesh.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Heavy industry 200 MW
Slums 150 MW
Shinra HQ 800 MW
Hojo's Lab 3,600 MW
Suburbs 150 MW
someone who is good at power please help me budget this. my city is dying

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF8 has a transoceanic rail line and a continent that was destroyed by the moon in the ancient prehistoric times of 50 years ago.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cloud is like 5 ft tall and has noodles for arms. He's like Popeye, not Bluto.

Also the dolphin swims around the underwater reactor so it's basically mako infused.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF2PR makes enough changes that it is a playable game and not a digital ball of spite and hatred. If you're in for a museum tour of Final Fantasy it's perfectly fine to play. Just realize there are certain points in the game that it still hates you personally and wants you to lose, but with quick save and a walkthrough guide that's manageable.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF2 has amazing, beyond it's time techno-fantasy set pieces that set the stage for the congruous techno-fantasy to come in the next generations of FF and the Emperor is a cool rear end villain.

It's just it has all of that and then you open a chest in a dungeon and 4 cats ambush you with instant death attacks causing an unavoidable game over.

E. You can not open the chest sure, but the cats just show up next dungeon as random encounters

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Guy speak beaver is a very wholesome and lovely sequence. The beaver sequence in FF14 is not wholesome and lovely.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you don't kill Garland then Chaos never happens so the only winning move is not to play.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Final Fantasy as a series is defined by being deadly serious in hilarious ways.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Last Celebration posted:

Idk about blatant, they at least took the time for them to feel different, Tellah dies because he does the thing he was told not to do because he hated Golbez so much, and Galuf dies face tanking like 20x his max HP in damage loving up an evil tree that was going to kill his friends/granddaughter because he was a bro.

Also FF4 just kinda does deaths poorly in general, that game really needed an editor to make half the “deaths” just “hey I need to go back to my home planet”.
Aeris dying was cool enough but in historical context of FF3, 4, and 5, and poo poo Legend of Dragoon contemporaneously, Aeris dying was some galaxy brain poo poo.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF5 is such a phenomenal game and it makes zero sense how long it took to get a good US release. You can see them try to make a freeform character system even half as good during FF7 and 8. And while 1-4 have some reasonably catchy tunes it really sets the bar on what FF music can be.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Square just couldn't handle the positivity of the Something Awful Final Fantasy thread. Every Final Fantasy is fun? These people are playing our games for fun? We will show them, Final Fantasy is very much not fun!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I have to kill Chaoscoin.

But Jack, you are Chaoscoin.

And Jack was Chaoscoin.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There was a hot 5 minutes where the IGN strategy wiki was a great place for walkthroughs and info whatever happened to that?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Neo Exdeath is faster and has sharper Almagest and Grand Cross than you do. It has no code of ethics or considerations for it's own future. In a fair fight it will win.

Don't fight NED
Use your brain.
Use drugs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

That loving Sned posted:

Could they really have tied the stories together when Xenogears is owned by Square and Xenosaga is owned by Bandai Namco?
Good luck finding a jury that can understand the interconnections.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Chronicles X is one of the best games I ever played and that's including massive minuses for the weird story, obnoxious vocal mix on the cutscenes music and all around annoying bullshit.

The world exploration in XCX amazing and has completely ruined open worlds for me including Zelda BotW. It's such a perfect mix of offline MMO, incremental exploration rewards, and just getting to places is fun in itself. It couldn't have been economical, can't be economical, and I don't think I'm going to see anything like it again.

Character progression is delightfully dumb. You go from getting eaten by everything, to at least surviving a but as you do an overly long quest line to get giant robots, then your giant robots is like drat I'm big. But then, the giant robot gets deprecated too. You look up a weird build on the internet and you learn how to arbitrarily trigger going super Saiyan and get a weird techno song to play while you shut out laser beams.

XCX is a game of contrasts. The main story is awful monster if the week stuff with ooh evil aliens but you have delightful bullshit about integrating with aliens and messing with nopons and a lady named Murderess. The music invoiced cutscenes at dramatic moments have vocals playing in the background, but some of the tracks on their own are awesome, buttrock, and awesome buttrock.

It's all so dumb. It's all so awesome. It's maybe the one game I want to take an amnesia pill and play again cause I know it's not going to be as good a second time. It's definitely gonna lose something in an LP even if someone manages to wrangle that quixotic insane game into a post by post format.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 7, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

poe meater posted:

I kind of dont want to restrict myself since I actually havent beaten it, but maybe you're right
You have 2 physical attackers and 2 magic attackers. Go nuts switching classes and dipping around within those archetypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DACK FAYDEN posted:

he's in the Gladio DLC

the version of Big Bridge is done by the Nier composer and sounds it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdPgxgTgWkM
This video most of all made me realize the car in 15 being the series BGM machine is the perfect way to upload Square music to YouTube. Did they know what they were doing? Was that even a Square policy back then? Was the pixel remaster walking scroll meant to be the same thing except now it's not gameplay enough to count?