Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, I agree. The SA reference in the GBA/DS FF4 localizations is hardly the most egregious example you could find. It reads like fairly normal speech if you don't know it's a reference, unlike the aforementioned Lunar jokes or the doge reference in Tri Force Heroes.

The ultimate ninja reference, however, aged really poorly and sucked even for the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Zurtilik posted:

It's often a hard choice between soundtrack and streaming a movie when I'm farming in FFXIV.

I think replacing music when you're grinding a game (MMO especially) is perfectly fine. It's the people who replace the music in a new game that kill me.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Elephant Ambush posted:

And yeah "grindy" doesn't mean "ugh I have to do a couple extra fights in this one area" it means "in order to beat Dragon Quest 1 and 2 I must be at a minimum level or I literally cannot beat the final boss".

Dragon Quest 1 (only the NES version though) is always my first thought when it comes to something being grindy, since most of the game is grinding outside of town to afford most of the best gear before moving on to the next town/exploring the dungeon. And of course having a last boss that has a hard minimum level you need to be at in order to have a chance at winning, and the level is probably not something you hit even with all the previous grinding.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Mystic Quest is the campaign you had to run for your younger sibling, but they get bored easily so you had to keep introducing new NPCs to keep them on track.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Looking at the Opera screenshot, we’re using some form of the GBA script (possibly tweaked just a tad like FF4 was).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
There’s your Chrono Cross remaster.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I’m just kind of floored to see Live a Live and Front Mission of all things.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

I found Red Mage kinda underwhelming in FF1 PR, but not in a way that necessarily held the party back or anything.

Meanwhile White Mage was dead weight for most of the game and then incredibly useful for the final boss so when I play it again I will probably bring a White Mage along again.

Red Mage is really held back now that spells (including spell-casting equipment) scales off of Int. It's not the end of the world, but I'd think I'd rather run with a dedicated spell caster in the PR so they're actually useful at what you want them to do.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm still waiting for my key. Perhaps it was not worth saving $2 after all.

My key showed up the minute the Play button unlocked in Steam (I ordered a 2nd copy for my friend).

Also Slam Shuffle lives up to its name.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Wolfsheim posted:

FFVI is my favorite game of all time but is it weird I'm contemplating blowing it off and pounding out an FF1PR run before 3/18 since I haven't played the first game since like, 2007

Not that FF1PR is particularly long, but it's not the worst idea to let FFVI sit for a bit and see if there are any early gamebreaking bugs that need to be fixed before you play. And you can always just chill out with the music.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
It's a small thing, but I'm glad that auto-battle can execute the last Blitz you did without requiring any additional inputs. Now there's no reason to stop supplexin'

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I accidentally started a fight with a HeavyArmor in Locke’s scenario. Coincidentally I also saw Locke’s desperation attack for the first time ever.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Frida Call Me posted:

was watching a buddy play through and they got destroyed by tunnel armor in the locke scenario. the tunnel armor was casting two spells per celes turn, so it was impossible to runic all of them. i told them to grind out three levels and try again, and that was enough, but wow i don't remember that being so difficult originally.

I didn’t have any weapons for Celes (I was sure I could find one on the way, but whoops) so I was largely having her heal each round while Locke knifed it down.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I never realized that Shadow had a unique dinner scene on the Phantom Train.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAEFALFvIoA

Looking at this video, there are quite a few changes in gameplay between each version of FFV.

Which one did the Fiesta use?

The Fiesta let’s you use any version, though I think people largely use the SNES and GBA ports.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
It’s weird playing FF6 again as an adult and actually knowing how stuff works. Pumping Sabin’s magic stat for his blitzes was something I’d have never considered as a kid.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

Pumping your magic stat seems to be an easy thing to stumble on considering the obvious strategy of "make the overpowered magic spells more overpowered."

When I played FF6 as a kid, I didn’t know that your stats didn’t increase as you leveled up. It’s not mentioned in the manual and is the exception to the rule established by other RPGs.

So it was easy to assume that “+1 Magic” wasn’t something worth micromanaging for, and why would you put something like Earrings on Sabin when you could put on something with a huge boost to Strength, or something cool like the Offering?

Now I know though, so Sabin is rocking a Hero Ring, Earring, and getting that +1 every level just to make sure his aoe clears the screen. It also has the side effect of making him a formidable caster once he gets access to more spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

PneumonicBook posted:

We were all that kid who got as many genji gloves as possible because dual wielding was clearly the best option.

Or for your characters with only magic as their cool ability (Celes, Strago, Terra) you were slapping Economizers, Gold Hairpins, and Gem Boxes on them.