Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 22, 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 22, 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 22, 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 22, 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 22, 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 22, 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
In my mind, Celes' voice has always been that of a raspy baritone, almost tom waits level. Immersion ruined!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I really want to like Stranger of Paradise but I feel like all of the mechanics and systems are too overwhelming for me now :( does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Grimthwacker posted:

Depends on your experience with games similar to Dark Souls. There's going to be A LOT to unpack in terms of gameplay and mechanics, especially when you add the Job system into it. Get a feel for what each job does - some are good at dealing with multiple enemies at once (Swordsman with its wide swings and Mage with its ability to charge up AoE spells from a distance), some are great at concentrated single-target damage (Pugilist and Duelist), some have unique niches (Lancer lets you use all three weapon damage types - Slash, Strike and Pierce - at once). Mix and match depending on the environment and encounters.

As far as combat goes you need to get into a mindset where evading and watching enemy movements are as important as doing damage. Focus on how to move and dodge and get in close to attack, and when to step back to anticipate the enemy's attacks. Single out enemies when you can. Try to combo into MP skills for extra damage. Concentrated damage lets you empty an enemy's Break Gauge so you can finish it off early with a tasty Soul Break. Blocking is always a good idea, especially if you get surrounded; once you're comfortable with that and learn an enemy's attacks, you can anticipate when to use Soul Shield for the parry. There's no stamina gauge for attacking and dodging, so you can do that as much as you want.

All that gear you get can be overwhelming. Focus on equipping Jack first since he's the player character and if he goes down it's back to the last save point. Higher level/rarity gear often has nice effects that play well with certain jobs, so choose your job loadout first, then equip yourself around that. If you have any gear left over you can outfit your partner characters, again taking note of which jobs they are.

Remember you can change difficulty at any time at a save point, so you can start out on Story mode to familiarize yourself with everything, then, if you're comfortable, bump it up to Action.

Thank you for the guidance! I think the combo of loot system + job system was the biggest factor in feeling overwhelmed but this helped me get a better feel for the demo.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Looking forward to the new $300m blockchain games

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I finally finished Final Fantasy Legend/SaGa for the first time just now and man while it gets rough in the back half it was still a pretty good time. The regular fights were much dicier than the bosses save Ashura, kinda. I ended up finding out about sawing god in half before getting there so did that and had a good laugh.

Then I started up FFL2 and oh my god it's so much better. SO MUCH.

I do have one question though-- is it a common throughline in the SaGa games that grinding is designed into the progression? The first game really seems to ramp up the danger levels in that second half and caught me offguard at first so if it's a common thing for the series then I'll just take my time with it instead of rushing through.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Ahh, I see. I was doing the typical "fight everything you encounter" thing in FFL1 and it was working pretty well up until Su-Zaku which at that point I really felt like I had to go grind out some gold for better weapons and gear.

In retrospect though, the actual boss fight wasn't hard and my main character solo'd it while the rest of the party was dead, so maybe there's something to be said for just straight out smarter tactical decisions in the random battles I do get into, because there were definitely times where I figured I could just hammer a mob with something that hits the whole pack instead of opting to make use of the enemy targeting and have someone defend, and as a result I would see characters just drop from half health due to a single attack that I didn't account for.

I also had ridicuously bad... RNG? with the Mutant/Esper spells and only got barrier and ESP throughout most of the game for that character. The party was two Humans, a Mutant, and a Monster. Monster stuff was a balance of annoyance and excitement, but I dug it since their skill uses regen after resting so it was an overall save on resources. I kinda hope they evolve that whole system out in the later games if it still exists by then.

Overall though it sounds like I should continue to do what I was originally doing, just fight things as they come, and maybe try to make better defensive decisions and plan that out ahead of time. Thanks!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Mandoric posted:

On top of that, Humans can be pumped for the gear they have, while Mutants you've just gotta hope. Realistically at least one of the offensive stats is useless on any given Mutant, with only Mana worth much in the lategame where they can afford to always be casting. You can have bad RNG become obvious on Floor 16, but it's also where Mutant falls off a cliff compared to just hitting up the friendly 'roids-dealing lizard in town and they become solely for clearing big packs even though big packs give Humans better gains.
And with a bit of systems knowledge a Human can be pumped to 32767ął/255/255/10/70; it doesn't SHOW the stat going up and you can gently caress up and overflow, but it works.

tl;dr if you're not doing super heavy RNG manipulation Mutants are just there to do waveclear and pave Humans' path to becoming living gods somewhere around where Bob clogged the toilet.

That's pretty much the conclusion I ended up coming to for that fourth world and just kept spellbooks on the mutant and used ESP or Barrier to conserve those uses where it wasn't necessary. I did find out about the stats overflow but felt like going to 999 on one character with HP200 was... more than enough! I actually was curious about if the Mutant level ups handled the overflow so that was good to confirm. I love that you dug into the data for all of that :v:

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Cleretic posted:

So, I've suddenly got an idea to try scripting out a video going over the history of individual superbosses in Final Fantasy, and their influence beyond their debut. But I'm wondering, what would such a list actually look like? Sticking only to the original release (plus international versions when relevant), from what I know the list would look roughly as follows...

-Warmech (1; debatable but worth covering)
-Shinryu and Omega (5)
-Gilgamesh (not a superboss in 5, but is worth discussing in the sphere for later appearances)
-Emerald and Ruby Weapon (7)
-Ultima and Omega Weapon (8)
-Ozma and Hades (9)
-Nemesis, Penance and the Dark Aeons (10)
-Absolute Virtue and Pandaemonium Warden (11; plus others, but those are the famous ones)
-Yiazmat, Omega Weapon and Zodiark (12)
-Vercingetorix and Long Gui (13)
-The Ultimates (14)
-An unclear amount from 15, holy poo poo there's a lot of possible picks
-Elidibus (Tactics), maybe?

Are there any I missed that would maybe be worth considering from sequels and spinoffs?

Culex from Super Mario RPG maybe

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I'm finally going to play and finish FFV; I always start it up and play a few hours and then something happens and I have to put it aside and forget about it. I think I've been as far as the first crystal or two? Anyway, any tips on what to do/what NOT to do would be appreciated!

Edit: I just fired the game up and my power went out. I swear I am cursed to never finish this game

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 17, 2022

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

Don't try to use/master every job. There are too many of them and you'll just get bogged down in grinding and never finish. Pick a few that you think are cool and stick with them unless you realize they kinda suck.

It's unintuitive, but I think doing an easy Four Job Fiesta run as a first run is a nice way to avoid getting overwhelmed by choices.

I somehow completely missed that the Four job Fiesta was going on! Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008