Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Chrono/Earthbound is what nerds use to try and big up their weeb credentials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

FF8's music is thoroughly excellent too

The only blot on the game imo is the junction system, I did not like how magic just seemed like consumables you had to draw from monsters, and if you set them to stats you were effectively locked out of using that particular magic. The materia system from 7 was much more flexible, interesting and fantastical.

jokes posted:

FF8 is the only video game that managed to apply a mathematical exponent to the game’s plot.

Student. Graduation. Dance. Sorceresses. Revolution. Wars. History wars. Moon. Moon sorceress space prison. SPACE TRAVEL. LUNAR CRY. CID’S DEMENTIA ORPHANAGE. TIME KOMPRESSION.

Not to mention the baddy literally being all the party members' matron at the orphanage they grew up together in, but they all forgot because the GFs gave them amnesia. lol

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Isnt FFVIIr supposed to be out on PC today

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Apparently the settings are barebones but it runs extremely well, like 4k120 on ultra with a 2080ti with room to spare

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 came out just last year!

That's not AAA by any stretch of the imagination, I have been saying for years CDPR is just a typical eurojank studio that got lucky with witcher 3

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Stranger of Paradise looked so bad and dumb when the first trailer dropped. Then the more of itself it showed the dumber it looked, and it quickly found itself in the so dumb it’s good zone. I’m more excited for it than Elden Ring.

On the other end of the spectrum, Forspoken looks terrible because it's a dour generic high budget game where the developers were seemingly told no laughing or displays of joy allowed in the workplace

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Sony doesn't like it when you use Microsoft-bought items on their platform, they never got their cut after all, yet they are hosting you. There's big exceptions like a fair chunk of Destiny 2 DLC, but on the whole they bristle at it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's hard to gently caress up your classes in FFXII especially now you have the new boards and dual spec with the ability to reset them

As long as you have healing capabilities in your parties that's enough for all of the story and most of the optional stuff, it's only the superbosses you gotta min/max and look at guides for. By the time you get that far you have a good understanding of what works and what doesn't anyway.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Basically just sit back and enjoy the excellent VA work. It's a top tier FF in that aspect and you'll get none of the cringy ahegao weeb grunts, squeeks, vocalizations and mannerisms that plagued FF7r.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I wouldn't mind something like FFXII, where it's a bunch of small open zones between each major location.
It was a good way to keep the spectacle up while looking pretty yet keeping a feeling of freedom and openness. Square never really went back to that kind of world traversal which is kind of a shame.

Perhaps 16 will do similar? It would be super rad if that's the case.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I think VIIr is the closest ideal to what a modern FF should be too. That's obviously very subjective but to me it's how I would have imagined FFVII being like if I was back in 1997 and had to predict the future of the series nearly 30 years later.

XVI is excellent in its own right (my GOTY so far) but it's very much a modern hack and slash like Devil May Cry more than it is a Final Fantasy game when it comes to the gameplay and systems. That's my spicy take on it anyway.

Final Fantasy gameplay-wise has always evolved with the times so there's no 'right' way it should be. But I think VIIr is the direction the series should stick to more. When FFXVII rolls around I would be happier if it steered closer to the VIIr formula over XVI's. To me FF is about the party and the systems of the party

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I dont think we have had a FF yet that is open world that wasn't an MMO yet.

??? All three PS1 FFs were open world.

oh god I just started a 3 page discussion on semantics of open world haven't I

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I can't believe different people want different things.

It's mad. We need to homogenize, and ostracise any outliers. Namely the ones who like FFX

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I can't remember anything about FFVIII

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Scoss posted:

I wonder if the people who make a big deal about the pronunciation of Cait Sith's name are also adamant about arguing that the gray haired anime swordsman must be pronounced "Sfirot" with a hard T at the end, just like the original Kabbalah. Or any other of the many, many cultural and mythological names that FF has yoinked from around the world over the past 35 years. I don't understand why his name specifically is such a hill to die on.

I think it's just a big childhood thing. I was 10 or 11 years old when the game first came out and it's always been kate sith to me and everyone else I know. You can't really undo that. If it was a minor side-character sure, but Cait Sith is a big part of the gang and a memorable, unique character

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

DeadButDelicious posted:

I think I saw a snippet in one of the trailers where Tifa grabs the moogle by the hands and loving hammer throws it into some mobs akin to Yuffie and Sonon's synergised windstorm and I'm 100% on board with that.

For real, I usually gravitate towards the least humanoid characters in a game (I always take Quina in IX and my favourite Chrono Trigger parties always include Frog and Robo) so I have a big place in my heart for the Scottish cat riding a giant stuffed moogle who cartoonishly winds up and punches to cast magic. Or can go Godzilla size on the slots (PLEASE PUT THAT IN SQUEENIX). My first ever emerald weapon kill was with Cait Siths slot machine limit break!

In fact, one of the things I am very much looking forward to is the fortune message Cait Sith gives to Cloud when they first meet in the Gold Saucer. In the original FF7 it was the first hint of Aerith's impending death. I wonder how it will go in Rebirth.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Arist posted:

Somehow, it's still just Scotland

It's shite being a shinra employee!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I honestly think FFVIIr's combat is the absolute best I've ever played in any RPG, it just works and clicks all together so well. It's got the perfect mix of action and strategy that makes you feel like a badass in the moment when you've thought on your feet quickly. This is partly why I found Devil May Clive a little wee bit disappointing.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

I also don't find FF7R's combat fun.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

15's a good game. I like to think it's also the game that finally kicked Square-enix in the rear end and got them to sort their atrocious project roadmap out. 15 and 7r both suffered from unnecessary development hell that just needed a steady pair of hands.
I was in school when they first announced 13 versus (15's first form) and several years into a mortgage when 15 finally came out.
I'm pretty sure there was like five years between VIIr's initial announcement and eventual release too. It's just... a ridiculously long time and an indication of poor management. It's been sorted out now clearly, since rebirth is just around the corner and 14 is getting a healthy stream of content.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

jokes posted:

Is there any way to make Ff8 combat smoother? I think it’s locked to 20FPS which feels just terrible

The PS1 trio all ran at 15fps during combat. It's hard locked that way unfortunately. The PC version has mods iirc but I am not sure if they work properly or simply speed the animations up.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Demon wall being the potential final boss has some vibes

In any case it'll be frigging epic, they can't not have demon wall in rebirth

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Ye you're right and it sucks a tiny bit to be honest. He was a little over exposed in remake. Part of his aura in the original was the team chasing a ghost with a fearsome background. Like seeing shinra dead with the sword in his back, or that snake impaled on the tree.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Yeah 15 vibed hard with me while something like 16 very much did not even slightly.

Loved running around with the lads and their car.

FF is at its best with ensemble casts and a good roster that you can get into the weeds with. It's like a crucial ingredient that's missing with 16.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Meanwhile, Squall:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Honestly a big part of the charm for Vagrant Story is the aesthetics and cutscenes. The game play itself can be hit or miss, especially if you're prone to getting really into optimizing (spamming Scan on everything and checking every body part for the lowest defense numbers for Class/Type/Affinity before swapping to the appropriate weapon and using Gems and spells to further optimize said weapon against that specific body part...)

Biggest thing to keep in mind is carry a shield (effectively doubles your defense), and carry an edged, blunt, and piercing weapon. A silver weapon for murdering undead and evil is sweet, but not super required. A good crossbow is also a nice luxury. Every other weapon stat can be tweaked by gems and magic, but Edged/Blunt/Pierce cannot, and from what I recall play the biggest role in damage calculation compared to Class and Affinity.

Or you could just do what my kid self did, ignore all the mechanics and tickle enemies to death with 1 damage chain combos

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Endorph posted:

Theres an interview with the president of sony where he goes 'ff7 only used 50% of the Playstations power... gran turismo, 70%... tobal number one is the first game to use 100%'

I'm looking at footage of the game right now and I'm just like uh what? It looks like it uses barely 5% of it lmao

I don't think the game even uses textures, it's all flat shaded

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I was wondering why it was so difficult finding raw PS1 footage of it on youtube, turns out all the videos I thought were emulated was actually running on base PS1 hardware anyway, it's running at native resolution and holding locked 60fps, both of which is an extreme rarity for that era.

Looks like an FF7 minigame though.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I didn't know people disliked nomura so much

The idea of him being a sleep paralysis demon for some goons as somebody mentioned earlier makes me chuckle a little

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Where's its $#@%&@*# head? This whole thing's stupid. Let's keep goin

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The Colonel posted:

it reminded me of when someone compared the final game of ffvii remake part 1 to the earlier trailers they showed and you could really easily tell that they had completely reworked the game's lighting so that barret would look right lol

Iirc they scrapped virtually all of that work by cyberconnect and started again in-house

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Don't eat too many tacos before bedtime or the nomura paralysis demon visits you

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You're not alone, 16 is a very 'off' FF game. It's a good game on its own merits, but it's trying to be something it's not. I don't think history will be kind to it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I know a guy on another site who got FFVII on PC because he couldn't afford a PS1, either. This always felt strange to me because wouldn't a computer that can run FFVII be more expensive than a Plsytation? I have no idea.

Back then, PC hardware requirements for games weren't quite as high as they are today. You could play most games on ordinary pcs in the living room corner that mom & pop bought for the occasional home office work. The first GPU is widely considered the geforce 256 for example, which didn't exist until 1999, a year after the PC version of FF7.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

jokes posted:

It's the year of a the bouncer 2

I read this in an italian accent

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Wutai is literally side content: the continent, among other things such as chocobo breeding, gold saucer activities and taking down the weapons. A decent chunk of the world is off the beaten path and would be missed entirely if you were only focused on the story.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Quistis was gross back then and its gross now. Even my younger didn't-know-better self was skeeved out by it. That particular scene served no purpose and would end up on the cutting floor today.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Mega64 posted:

It leads to my favorite part of the game, that pathetic grunt Cloud Strife, too lame to make SOLDIER, gathers the strength to fulfill his childhood promise to Tifa and defeat motherfucking Sephiroth.

Also now I wonder if Jenova is related to the Lufenians.

Shame does wonders to anybody

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Can't believe it's FF7R2's release month. Just a couple more weeks to wait.

29th is a bit more than a couple of weeks but I share the sentiment. It's almost here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Ravus Ursus posted:

Uh... Doom?

It's easily definitely Doom for sure. The official releases plus all the unofficial releases playing on toasters, fridges and even calculators and pregnancy kits.