Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

All Final Fantasies are good except for the ones that aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Wasn’t there a jrpg where an entire sidequest just…wasn’t translated? I’d say that’s the worst translation job.

I know Persona 1 had an entire 'sidequest' (read: entire second plotline for the game) that was cut from the first English release.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I love it when dragons use their bracelets to defeat Dycedarg's elder brother. Really adds to my experience. So much better than 'babbys first theatre performance' or whatever.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

jiffynuts posted:

Having a blast playing FF 5 pixel remaster. The job system is both amazing and the worst thing ever. Amazing because I can customize my party any damned way I want to, and those learned abilities are really rad. It's terrible and the worst thing ever because I want to level every job on every character _right now_. :cry:

And this is why I can never play FFV outside of a fiesta setting ever again.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I generally think any system that is straight up 'men are better than women at half the classes and women are better than man for the other half' is not a great system.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Like I said, 4JF makes me grind less than a usual playthrough. Give me the entire list of jobs and abilities and I feel the need to get most if not all of them; give me a list of four jobs and all I have to do is find out which abilities are useful and which side content is actually relevant to the jobs I have.

Plus FFV is an incredibly easy game in general, and it 's nice to have some sort of challenge.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Everything with a teleporter maze. Most SMT games.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Grevlek posted:

Last time I played ff12 it was 2007 and it was after Halloween and I ate a bunch of candy kids didnt take. Should I play the PS2 version or the zodiac age ?

Do you have the exact 4 chests not to open in order to obtain the strongest weapon in the game memorized?

(This is me saying TZA, which avoids dumb stuff like that.)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

Huh, I'd never really thought about it before, but FF as a series is usually pretty good about sticking to fairly realistic hair colors for its human characters, isn't it?

Also almost all of the exceptions are pink/purple haired women. :v:

I've seen far too many white-haired 20 year olds in this series to think that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Good to see Squenix's marketing and PR departments all have SA forums accounts. :laffo:

Nah, it's a meme. Squeenix's PR team is so good that they got people talking about FFXIV (and it's free trial allowing you to play the award-winning expansion Heavensward) for free.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

She looks cool.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Basically everything but the main gameplay of Strangers of Paradise makes me really excited for it, so bleh.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I got a good feeling! The people of Ivalice had l i t t l e m o n e y. Blame yourself or god.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is what you give up by not playing the original.

There, you have heard the good lines from the original translation and can now play the one that doesn't mistranslate 'breath' as 'bracelet'.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Other things that are DBZ poo poo:

Several TV shows, both animated and live action.
A long myth from China.
A lot of MOBAs for some reason.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Olivia is absolutely dead.

Verviticus posted:

doesn’t she stab him first

Yes, because she's convinced that he's going to kill her eventually and her only option is to kill him first. Jury's out on if he ever would (my answer is 'if it ever became politically expedient').

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

Olivia is obviously dead. Ovelia, on the other hand, is left in a vague state

Bleh, I thought the name was wrong.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he seemed to want an actual relationship with her before she stabbed him. At the end of that, he was just basically acknowledging that he probably should not have done this, and he is unhappy with what he gained.

The creators say they both survived the stabbings however.

I acknowledge that the creators have made a decision, but given it is a stupid-rear end decision, I have elected to ignore it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Her Japanese name IS Cidney.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Her name should be Midney, to go with her sisters, Sadney and Cidney.

Wait poo poo.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wait they are actually releasing Triangle Strategy with that name?

Man. And I thought 'Octopath Traveler' was on the nose.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If you currently have the game queue times have gone down to reasonable levels.

If you do not currently have the game no sorry it is still unbuyable.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean I think there's a difference between a turn based RPG allowing 'press attack and heal occasionally' to work and a more action oriented game like FFXV to have 'hold down attack and heal occasionally' to work.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah it was praised to high heavens. So many the servers couldn't handle it.

So they stopped people from making new accounts or buying the game.

Jan 25th is reopening day and new servers are coming eventually.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cleretic posts are the worst, because even if her posts aren't even that bad, everyone else will make bad posts in response, resulting in too many bad posts.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I want tactics advantage to get remade next so we can have this conversation more often.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

my name is jack marche and i'm here to put my brother back in his wheelchair

Excellent.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

This character is intended as a stand in for you, and it works, as long as you can self insert onto white American/Japanese young adult straight cis men with no discernable personality that doesn't agree with any of the decisions this character makes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As opposed to Lulu's costume, which is famously not edgy at all.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Haven’t leveled my machinist enough, but it isn't? Where did I get the idea it was?

It also isn't really a chainsaw so much as it is a chain of saws.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As a constant FFV player it baffles me how many times the game relies on 'exploration' instead of actually telling you where to go. Sometimes it's as basic as 'head to the only town you're allowed to go to and talk to someone important' but other times you're just kind of supposed to wander around until you find something important.

Like, you just got a boat. Where are you supposed to go? Somewhere you can only get to with a boat, of course, but there are a lot of those, and it's hard to tell if you really went to the wrong place unless you talk to literally every NPC. It's not great. Immediately after you head to the place you're supposed to go to, you have a new form of transportation and just kind of have to figure out it can only land in one kind of terrain and head towards a large amount of that terrain.

It's not like a lack of explanation in regards of where to go to is new to games with wayfinders or trails to follow. And, hell, having replayed classic, WoW didn't always tell you where to go either before quest markers were added in.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mandoric posted:

There's exactly three places you can go, each set up in a corner of the map to echo the plotline to that point centering around the fourth corner (and of finding something cool in the other corners if you already have), and the two of them which aren't on the critical path are by 2020s standards--I say 2020s rather than modern to avoid the implication that it's better--optional sidequests to kit out the jobs that were your DPS bread and butter in the prior two games respectively rather than wastes of time.
You could cut things like this, where every option is good but one keeps you on the critical path, in favor of pulling the player straight through, and lose something in a game where the central interaction has multiple equally valid paths you're softly pushed toward based on what optional content you do, but as someone who brings up learned behavior in regard to the black chocobo (which is a pretty borderline assessment, given that it's introduced by rising from the terrain it's usable on and exists to return you to any prior point, many of which do have signposting, without letting you skip ahead) you should realize that the impulse to rush the critical path, or the realization that a critical path exists, is itself a learned behavior; the hypothetical naïf whose world is rocked by the idea that birds land in trees also isn't going to know or care that every path leads eventually to Exdeath, or even that there is an Exdeath, and is not going to be displeased that their choice that day only got them cool ninja gear or a rockin' summon--without the retrospective knowledge of where the game goes and how to finish a 4JF as quickly as possible in order to get with the other side of this year's split challenge, it's just as valid to assume that Jachol or Istory is necessary for the unknown next challenge.

The only point of Jachol is a piano (and I suppose the first time you can get a ninja suit in a shop). Like I get your point (at least I think I do) but bard was not exactly your DPS bread and butter in the previous two games (especially considering you might not have even played either game, especially since III wasn't released in the west until after V, twice). Istory is more worthwhile, I agree, though again you get a bard song. Also you don't actually have a bard yet.

That being said, not everyone would have noticed that there are exactly there places to go or that each one of them is in a different corner of the map. Giving someone a giant map and expecting them to know where they've already been, where they can now go to, and then doing it once again as soon as they find the 'critical path' as you put it is very annoying to deal with for someone who didn't already know where to go. And I know this because I was very frustrated on my first play through of FFV, long before I knew what a four job fiesta even was.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I can understand not liking WotL's archaicness but I still don't see how that makes 'The people of Ivalice had little money' good.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Thank you for reminding me that Rune Factory 5 is out this month.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Good:
IV
V
VI
VII
IX
X
X-2
XII
XIV:ARR-Endwalker

Mediocre:
I
III SNES
XIII
XV post-DLC

Has Serious Problems:
II
VIII
XIII-2
XV pre-DLC

Bad:
III DS
IV The After Years
XIV 1.0

Unplayed:
XI
Lightning Returns

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

"It does look like him, but...it isn't him."

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man I think the only thing I dislike about Strangers of Paradise is the fixed protagonist who doesn't seem all that interesting. That job system seems custom built for a more customizable MC.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Everything about XIV 1.0 was clearly supposed to be XI-2, yeah, straight down to the nearly-identical races, including gender locks, even though those now made less sense.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Pegasus Dream Tour absolutely launched.

And it stopped in January because they lost the Paralympics license.

Anyway Squeenix continues to be the most successful company to be run by people who don't know what they're doing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think 'SoP being an action game makes sense' and 'Final Fantasy should be turn based again' are opinions that can coexist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only problem with FFXII combat is that it has the worst superboss in the series.