Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Final Fantasy IX is the best mainline series FF game.

Final Fantasy Tactics is not only the best Final Fantasy overall, but also in the top 10 greatest games of all time.

Oh, and Final Fantasy XIV is the best FF MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Last Celebration posted:

FFX doesn’t have a game-spanning scavenger hunt minigame though? I feel like id probably have replayed it by now if it did…

Yeah, and it doesn't have the best FF minigame: Jump Rope

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Just think about it, what mainline Final Fantasy has the best of the following:

Setting: Gaia
Main Characters: Steiner, Vivi, Quina
Side Characters: Baku, Puck, Doctor Tot
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3QK6CTg2g
Minigames: Chocobo Hot and Cold, Tetra Master
Bosses: Ozma, Ark, Black Waltz Trio

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

NikkolasKing posted:

You're sabotaging your argument by bringing up Gaia and Tretra Master. It's like me trying to push my case for FFX being the best FF and pointing to lightning dodging as an example of why.

Your other points are pretty strong, though. Music is a really tough one for me.

Tetra Master was a joke of course, but Gaia? It is easily the best setting in a Final Fantasy. Lindblum, Cleyra, Village of Dali, Lifa Tree, and Burmecia? Come on....

The entire mist concept and the creatures it creates is really cool.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Blockhouse posted:

The original japanese line is "Sorry. If you're going to bear a grudge, take it up with yourself or God."

I still flip back and forth on this line compared to the PSP translation. The PS1 line does sound more like Delita in my head.

PS1: Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God.
PSP: 'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I.

There are some lines in the PSP translation that just sound like they went to far, but there are solid improvements as well.

"You think to save a princess from a burning tower. In truth, you would but set her on a higher floor. There is only one person who can truly save her. And that is what I mean to do. "

"All of them swept up in a mighty current, a current they cannot see or feel... I simply swim against it. Nothing more."

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Speaking of IX, has anyone played it with the Moguri Mod?
https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/home

Looks like they increased the details, added widescreen support, and increased the resolution using some AI upscaler.

The screenshots look great, but I'm not sure how it is overall from beginning to end.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I don't remember a single piece of music from XII, which makes it the worst FF for music. Even XIII had great music...

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Final Fantasy VIII has to be my most undecided in the main series. There are so many things that I like about the game like the junction system, the music, Triple Triad, and the summons.

The characters and plot are just so weak, which is weird because the concept of specially trained military students that are sent around the world to be used as weapons is cool, but everything else? The love story is like a glass of room temperature water, mostly due to Squall having the personality of unreinforced concrete. The Laguna parts, while initially interesting due to being an actual good character, falls apart too quickly by the end. The sorcerer from the future that wants to destroy the present is when I throw my hands up and say "ok, that's enough, I just want to go back to playing cards in Balamb Garden".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Ethiser posted:

Yeah, all the cool kids are referencing Chrono Cross.

Hope the remake rumors are real.

Still waiting for the Final Fantasy Tactics and Legend of Dragoon remake rumors to be true, so I am used to disappointment!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Just scrolling past all the CC critics while listening to Time's Scar and just laughing.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Super No Vacancy posted:

10. gonna put battle system here, this is like the peak of the turn-based combat.

:hmmyes:

One day I hope we get a modern turn-based combat FF game. Persona will continue to scratch that itch for now...

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Zurtilik posted:

So far 4 monks has absolutely devastated everything.

Hey, just like Final Fantasy Tactics!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Just did Sigmascape V1 in FFXIV for the first time. How wonderfully nostalgic, was not expecting that.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Commander Keene posted:

Why is Sigma in FF14? He's from Mega Man! :v:

Hmm, a Mega Man colab in FFXIV would be pretty cool!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Hmm, kind of interesting that this hasn't been added to the OP yet...

:raise:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

zakharov posted:

Is Final Fantasy VIII good or bad

Final Fantasy VIII's biggest issue is that it's right between 2 very good FF games.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Guess we won't know if this is a remake or remaster.

The only thing I do know is that if they do any sort of remix with the music I will be eternally angry.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I've just been typing up some work emails today and leaning back thinking about how great Final Fantasy IX is. Maybe too great?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm playing the the original Final Fantasy pixel remaster while I sit in my 7000 queue for FFXIV. The game is actually really good for a 1987 title. I've wanted to play it all the way through ever since I was little, but the slowness always made me drop it. Now with the battle speed up, it's just perfect.

It's so funny seeing some of the original monster designs like the Sahagin being mixed in with random creatures they must have just picked out of a hat. "Oh, we need a wolf, and what about a scorpion? Yeah, throw in one of those. And a shark!"

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Finished Final Fantasy PR in about 10 hours. Incredible short for a FF game, but I think it's all due to the auto battle and map. Some of the areas must have been a nightmare to navigate without an auto-complete map that is now simply a button press away.

Fighter/Monk/WMage/BMage is hilarious, especially at the end of the game where you're doing 1000+ damage per Fighter/Monk, your healer is healing the entire party every turn, and your Black Mage spam casts free Thundaras with Gauntlet, all while my Fighter is taking 1 damage from 90% of the enemies :aloom:

Also, Masamune is better than Excalibur. Inconceivable!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

bentacos posted:

Look, nobody ever said Palmer was competent.

Thanks to Palmer, I've always been very suspicious of anyone that puts lard in tea.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm still wondering how they're going to remake the scene in Junon Harbor where Cloud, riding on top of a dolphin, jumps 100ft in the air to land on a steel beam...

Had to actually go back and re-remember the scene. It was a beam he landed on.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 9, 2021

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

jokes posted:

What about it? Sounds plausible to me

I have a few issues with it. Please see below:

• A dolphin cannot jump that high
  • Cloud weighs maybe 250+ pounds? Plus the inventory of the party puts the total weight at 2 tons
  • The water is not deep enough for the dolphin to obtain the height necessary to reach that beam

Look, I know this world has alien moms from outer space, giant robot scorpions with laser tails, and colorful marbles that allow you to cast magic , but I draw the line at unrealistic real-world animal depictions.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

I had to look this up and can't believe what I'm seeing. 135lbs? No way. He is a genetically mutated soldier.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Epi Lepi posted:

He's like 5'7" and built like a dancer, he is not a big man.

Dude has giant forearms and quads that he needs to lift that big dumb sword.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm 6'2/160lbs and skinny. Which brings me to my real question, do you think I can beat up Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII?

Also,

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Al-Saqr posted:

I am finally super hyped to be able to play FF7 remake but I’m super sad that it’s stuck on Epic games store lol

Yeah, that announcement sucked. I hope it's only a year exclusive before coming to Steam.

Also, Chrono Cross not being announced. I was one of the dummies that actually believed those internet rumors.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
There were some people in my FFXIV guild that told me Final Fantasy II PR was the bad one and to skip it entirely. How true is this? I enjoyed FFI PR quite a bit and can't imagine it would be that different. Looks pretty much the same in the steam previews?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Frionnel posted:

Nah, Chrono Cross was definitely announced :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4UT99e7VE

I hate you for showing me that this exists.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Back in my day they were called Squaresoft. :colbert:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Many seem to forget, but the actual best moment in Final Fantasy is when the 4 warriors of light go back in time to defeat Chaos and save the world in nineteen eighty seven.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Good, great, or best Final Fantasy character design?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Verviticus posted:

it was skipped in the list so i ask: whats the most moving/powerful moment in FFT

Olan deciding to write about the truth at the end of the game, only to be burned at the stake by the church. The real story doesn't even come out for a few generations after that.

I also thought the mini-story about Miluda and the rest of the Death Corpse coming to an end was quite powerful.

Still can't decide whether I like Death Corpse or Corpse Brigade better...

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Heh, sorry I only play the serious Final Fantasy games.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I don't know what's going on, but it's in the contract!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Picked up Final Fantasy IV PR and it's a lot better than I remember? Also a lot darker for some reason? I don't know why it seemed more cheery when I was younger....

I actually really like the constant character changes. You don't feel like you have to choose characters to use, otherwise I would end up just using the same party for the whole game.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The first gay Final Fantasy character was Kain from IV, obviously. I can't believe all of the characters in XVI are gay, wow! I really need this game to come out for PC.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I cannot believe they used the F word in a Final Fantasy game. This is not the series I grew up with....

The demo is a lot longer than I thought, I'm like an hour in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Eight-Six posted:

so is ffxvi good

I'll give you the perspective from someone that thinks the last good Final Fantasy was IX: Yes