Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Actually I thinks it's just a few people who don't think a 25 year old game is still the best the best the genre has to offer.

I played CT for the first time with the DS version and thought it was ok, but have no idea how it's still regarded as the 'pinnacle' of anything mechanics or storywise. Just a decently well made game that was probably way crazier compared to everything else when it came out I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

CT is maybe not the absolute best jrpg ever made, but it does lots of things very well and has very few annoying bullshit bits. It lacks the really low lows the genre can hit sometimes, and while it doesn't hit the unquestionably highest highs, it's on average pretty high.

I mean hell, it's a jrpg that has a brusque pace and doesn't make you grind a lot just to pad itself out, that's almost a novelty even today

I can't think of any modern JRPGs that really need grinding...outside maybe Yakuza 7 but Yakuza 7 has some of the worst gameplay ever so I guess that tracks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Person with sexualized monster girl avatar: I don't want to be associated with THOSE people.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyways OP, sounds like you got way too horny at the game and think everyone else did. Or something. Get some help. No normal person noticed this poo poo or hyperfocused on it like you did.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ff9 ftw.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Every so often I look at World Of Final Fantasy in my steam library and wish I liked it more.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Nothing wrong with not liking it

Of course, but I wish I did! It has alot of parts I find endearing but the actual stacking mechanics I felt were really not great. Felt like once you got a half decent combo there wasn't much reason to actually change anything out. which then, what's the point?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So annoyed that there's no preload for SOP. Only got it on PC because most of my friends were, I could have been playing on PS5 like 2 days ago!!!

And to make matters worse the release is based on local time so my friend in Italy is downloading right now...I don't even mind having to wait till 11 but I sure would like to be able to get the download done

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Can you VPN for the unlock?

I tried, dunno if there's something weird with EGS but I did the same thing I did to play Deathloop a bit early on steam and it didn't seem to recognize it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I honestly have not had any issues with the Elden Ring PC port either. Other than the game freezing for a few seconds within the first 10 or so minutes of gameplay (then it never happens again). I put like 90 hours into it and it was smooth sailing mostly. I played Nioh 1 and 2 on PS4 but apparently the Nioh 2 port is good so I could believe this one could be alright too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

eonwe posted:

How are people playing it on PC already? I didn't think VPN for this would be a thing

It's out for any place that's past midnight

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mysticblade posted:

Can confirm, the download opened for me at midnight and I'm in Australia.

Mind you, I'm still downloading it and Epic doesn't seem to have any download throttling. Had to turn it off for the day since it was somehow stopping my work computer from connecting to anything but lol that the Epic client still sucks

It actually does have throttling, but you gotta go into the settings of the program itself by clicking your username bubble and check it off there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've managed to get the game to run at 60fps during actual gameplay but for some reason cutscenes are a crapshoot of either running great, kinda bad, or 'game running so bad audio is starting to desync during parts of it'

Enjoying it though, however Normal mode has been weirdly very easy so far, I just beat the dark elf castle place tho so I'm still early, but I expected Normal to have more bite to it.

e: It was funny how I was psyching myself up for the first boss since it was a pretty brutal fight in the original demo back in October, and then they died so fast here that they didn't even get to do half of the moves they had in the demo.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 18, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The game looks muddy as hell even on console so I think that's just...Like, what the game looks like. The rest of the stuff is real annoying though, the cutscene slow downs really get to me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Been playing more SoP and I think they really did just overcorrect from the initial demo. The inital demo was challenging but fair and finally getting the hang of it felt super satisfying. In the full release everything feels super anemic, poo poo dies so fast and I don't even bother dodging and just tank alot of hits and leave fights still no worse for the wear. I thought maybe it was just Normal that was too easy but hard mode has barely made a noticable difference to me other than making Tonberries even more lethal (which I enjoy). Maybe Chaos mode is more my speed but that's a postgame thing so that sucks? but yeah idk. I feel like story/casual mode was a fine inclusion but why did the other difficulties also have to be made extremely easy as well?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Maybe you're just really good at the game :v: I'm not super great at action games and Normal has been a decent enough challenge for me, even with the trash mobs. It did take until like the 6th stage for it to feel that way for me, though.

See I dunno. I almost wonder if difficulty is hosed up on the PC version because I am not that great at these kinds of games, I'm constantly taking hits and having to heal it just doesn't feel threatening due to how easily I can break insta kill even minibosses.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I activate the move that makes charging time extremely fast and then I swing a big axe and soul gauge break everything in a few specials.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Reinforce from Swordsman

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just wrapped up the optional Fiend refights and heading into what I assume is the endgame. Been using Axe wielding Breaker for most of the game cuz of how crazy good it is. Should probably mess around with some others more than just unlocking sometime...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beat the game. Despite my complaining the difficulty did end up properly ramping up, but it took way longer than I expected. Ended up changing it down from Hard to Action by the time of the optional Fiend refights cuz they kicked my rear end too much lol.

Dunno when I'll dive back in for Chaos mode since I'm a bit burned out but I had a blast the whole way through.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

You're all going to complain when a team of straight-laced chumpo novice adventurers beat the rear end of Fred Dust's biggest fan, though.

Still have a grudge against the game existing all these months later, huh.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

I think my biggest annoyance at the moment (unless Im wrong) is the passives aren't cross class. Thats fine for things like "way more i-frames" or whatever but it feels weird as hell for like "deal 4.3% more holy damage"

Bosses have different skills to steal in different phases so like Malboro phase 2 gives a way bette spell than phase 1. This doesn't seem to matter to Sage who Im trying to put of using cause magic is already poweful as hell.

I'm pretty sure all the passives with the generic up arrow icon are universal.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I spent the whole game convinced the generic up arrow ones were global because of how tiny the bonuses are but apparently they are infact locked to the job.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Getting sequels isn't really an FF standard thing either. Dunno why that'd be proof of failure.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I spent about an hour in the PS4(pro) version of FFO and well

I never want to do that again.

"I bet there's a story behind that..."

I'm sure there is some...."bullshit"

*cranks up tunes and walks away for 5 seconds before taking them out again to change my mind and join in on killing Chaos*

what a pile of poo poo

Jesus.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Why would you buy an action game spinoff, made by the people who made Nioh, and be mad that it's an action rpg.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Careful, those opinions are considered wrong and bad in these parts. You are only permitted to like Jack and his nonsense.

I mean, I think you're brave to have taken a swing and I want you to keep doing it, but you will NOT be making friends doing so.

You were whining since the game was announced because the main character was a dude. Don't think you can act like you have some Valid Opinions that are being meanly shouted down lol.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The marvelfication of pop culture has led to an entire generation of people unable to tell if something is a joke or if the writers are "in on it" unless a character mugs for the camera constantly. Sad!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

what

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't mind the sphere grid in all honesty but I also mostly just went in a straight line anyways.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm playing FF9 with the moguri mod...Turn based mode and 100% steal rate ftw.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I really wish the way the UI handled the turn based mode was a bit cleaner but otherwise it Pwns.

Yeah it's a little finnicky but worth it. Wish taht animations were not tied to framerate so you could make it not 15fps without making it look like its in x8 speed tho.,

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This poo poo reminds me of when people on this very forum said that ff15 was made as a middle finger to women and no woman likes playing as men or seeing men in media

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cope.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's a billion JRPGs where the majority of the playable cast are women, not sure why FF daring to have two entries without any is some sort of crime against the female gender tbh.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

Because the situation in regards to representation and normalized protagonist status in mass media between men and women is, of course, completely identical.

C'mon, this is silly.

There's nothing wrong with games not letting you choose the gender of who you play lol cmon son.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

That's not what I said, and you know that.

You're implying there's something inherently wrong with final fantasy 16 letting you only play as Clive, who is a man..

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I really don't like this revisionism that X-2 hate is due to misogyny.

It couldn't possibly be due to the fact it's a sequel to a much beloved instant classic game where the devs in their infinite wisdom decided to chuck out everything people loved about the original. Mostly different characters, radically different tone. vastly inferior music, totally new battle system 90% of the game is reused environments and enemies from X.... Maybe this is why people don't like the game

In short, Aliens sucks.

I think x-2 is extremely unfun and not good but people mad at it being a "girl power game" was def a huge thing and dominated the entire discussion when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kanfy posted:

I could still find it in on youtube in what is arguably the purest form of Japanese meme video experience, completely covered in floating Niconico comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG2O6ghFn5k

Nintendo level move taking that poo poo down. great vid