Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

cuntman.net posted:

“blame yourself or god” sounds like hes making a snappy one liner while “its your birth and faith that wrong you, not i” sounds like hes sympathizing with her so even that line is better in the remake

Of course Delita was going for a snappy one-liner. If you think he didn't pull out his phone and start blasting some buttrock after saying that line, you're just wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

i think he is, because he understands being screwed over by where you were born

Delita has a chip on his shoulder a mile wide about the entire social structure, and anyone that supports it. That includes retainers, knights, minor nobles, anybody- they're all just roadblocks in his way. He has no reservations about stabbing each and every one of them in the stomach if it advances his goals. The exception is that he does seem to sympathize and fall for Ovelia, who was apparently a nobody plucked out of an orphanage and shoved into what is essentially a gilded cage to play "princess". (Also he's a young man, and hormones, etc.).

Agrias was not screwed over by where she was born. She seems to be a knight and protector of the aristocracy by choice. Delita ain't got no time for her.

Edit: Although I guess I can't make any calls about him actually being on Ovelia's side. I personally think he was, but there's still a lot of debate about whether he was just using her or was planning to kill her even if she hadn't stabbed him first. He was a cold bastard like that.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 4, 2021

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

ah im glad youre agreeing with me on this

I agree he eventually came to empathize with Ovelia, but he said that line to Agrias. Also, I don't think he sympathized with Ovelia during that scene, where he kidnapped her, punched her in the gut and tossed her over the chocobo like a sack of potatoes. The empathy came later when he saw how powerless and used she had been all her life.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I think Delita not having feelings for Ovelia and planning on killing her all along anyway ruins the tragedy of that last scene.

Agreed, the ending just doesn't work if he didn't genuinely care for her. But for whatever reason, I remember there being a lot of vocal opposition back in the day, and that the knife he used to stab her was hidden in his bouquet.

Blockhouse posted:

also the fact that Matsuno said she lived through that last scene.

She lived? I never heard that. I know Delita lived and went on to have a long reign, but I never heard that she made it. I have a hard time believing they'd ever be able to co-exist when she clearly had zero trust for him, and then he did stab her.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

he said it to ovelia in the remake. also of course he'd say that after he punched her, why else would he need to apologize

but anyway i think it works better as an introduction because it immediately shows hes more than a too cool for school soldier whos going to kill chaos

Huh, I only played WotL once, and forgot that they completely changed that scene. Well, the OG FFT line definitely made more sense when he was saying it to Agrias. And even talking to Ovelia, his WotL line is a bit out of character for the point that scene takes place, but it at least makes more sense in that context.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ManSedan posted:

The only good song on the FFXII soundtrack is the esper fight song, and I’ll be damned if I ever have to listen to Streets of Rabanastre ever again.

The soundtrack isn't as "poppy" as other music in the series, so you probably won't get it stuck in your head to hum along to, but XII has a lot of really beautiful or atmospheric music that fits the world traversing/dungeon exploring vibe of the game well.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Just to be clear, which shadow thingy is the wow one and which shadow thingy is the Final Fantasy one?

Shadowlands = WoW
Shadowbringers = FF
Shadowlord = Nier

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

jokes posted:

I remember seeing “65+” on a lot of game reviews in things like Gamepro as an answer to “how many hours of gameplay”. I don’t know who is playing a single play through of FF5 for more than 20 hours, but that’s a bit absurd.

I mean, people who do FJFs in particular know FF5 like the back of their hand, and what you can skip and what you shouldn't, and ways to shut down the bosses, etc. FF5 has a lot of stuff to do and find, and if you didn't have it memorized and knew how to cheese everything, and wanted to complete it all, I can easily see that being 40+ hours.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Alxprit posted:

That's never been the case? Every version of the game doesn't heal your HP/MP on job or ability switching?

Sounds like they meant that the MAX MP does not get recalculated, so you end up with a Knight with high magic power and 12 MP.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I appreciate how he's a strict downgrade to Odin.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The dream project for the Eternals screenwriters is to do a FFVII movie.

(Big Eternals spoilers: https://www.polygon.com/22771286/eternals-hiroshima-scene-marvel-writers-interview)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah I've gotten decision-paralysis multiple times so far. I almost wish you got 3 slots: your current job's ability, a 2nd ability, and a passive. Or that mastered passives applied to you on every job, not just Freelancer/Mime.

You mean like FFT, the best implementation of the job system in the series? Agreed.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, most 4JF runs can be completed very quickly without much or any grinding. There really are a bunch of ways handle almost every fight, and so there are very few totally dire combinations that have no choice but to grind levels/abilities.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Doesn't the WotL version increase the JP requirements for some abilities and for reaching higher job levels (and consequently, for unlocking more jobs)? That always sounded like a bummer, because then you might end up needing to grind to reach high-tier job in a reasonable timeframe.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The real worst part of any FF Tactics game are the occasional mission where you have to protect an NPC, but they’re very committed to diving into the middle of a huge group of fast enemies.

There's basically one fight where that's really a problem. Having played the original Tactics Ogre, honestly no NPC-based missions feel bad in FFT.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Is Disgaea grinding really that grindy? Other than maxing items you can get to the level cap in minutes.

You can really only get to the level cap in minutes if you've already done a ton of grinding (powerful equipment and either you've already grinded that character to have good stats, or you're piggy-backing off another strong character that's been ground up). Disgaea postgame is really just a potentially infinite grind, with the "game" being figuring out how to grind most efficiently. The normal game plays very similar to a lot of other RPGs, where you'll probably be able to beat it at a reasonable level of 60 or something. But once you start unlocking end/postgame stuff, you get into a snowballing powergrind cycle where you can not only level to 9999, but then you reincarnate back to level 1 while keeping some of your stats, allowing you to gain higher stats the second, third, etc time you grind to 9999. You may need to be switching classes and grinding weird tutor/student relationships to gain abilities. You have to grind weapon and ability proficiencies (which drop each time you reincarnate). Every item (EVERY ITEM) can have a 100-floor random dungeon in it with boss stages every 10 floors, and you have to go through those to make the item stronger (and in some games, you can then reset the item and go through the whole thing multiple more times). You can generally only get, like, the third-strongest item of each type through "normal" means (like stealing from a post-game boss), and then you have to go through 100 floors of a legendary version of that item and steal the next upgrade off the boss on the 100th floor, and then repeat that for each subsequent upgrade. You probably need to defeat and combine special monsters from the item world that you can equip on items for further stats, and it takes a lot of grinding to get those upgrades up to snuff. The list goes on and on.

So yeah, the Disgaea series' postgame is grindy as poo poo, and they're designed to cater to a specific crowd that loves seeing numbers go up and is willing to put in hundreds of hours to make your numbers the biggest numbers.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

FF12 fucks

e: f;b

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

jokes posted:

Barrett has a gun surgically attached to his arm and you know how many times he dies? Zero. And he becomes an oil baron!

Well, which version of FFVII are we talking about.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

You can also use Beastmasters to capture Yellow Dragons. Each one you release will do 25% of his total HP in damage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

They've managed to introduce even more playable characters, but they've had to reduce party size to two, and remove the accent generator so everyone has exactly the same lines.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Rippler, AKA Shadow's Bane.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

jokes posted:

Vayne taking over the world is the same functional thing as Ashe doing whatever her poo poo is: humanity taking control of their own destiny from the Occuria. Also we don’t know who would have really won that war, and it’s not like the future they were fighting for lasted very long, what with them all getting cataclysmed back into a Catholic feudalism/medieval era.

Eh, maybe. See my essays on how Venat wasn't really "freeing humanity" from the Occuria, but was planning to just take all control for himself via manufacted nethicite that let him possess/control people.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

CoD and Necron are just, like, forces of nature, so yeah they don't count. But Exdeath was supposedly just a bunch of evil assholes whose souls got jammed in a tree. I think he can be considered evil.

How evil are Jenova or Sin though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

VII Blue Magic is super OP, and almost obsoletes all other magic.

Blue Magic in base IX is pretty disappointing, yeah. Most of it is just status stuff with horrible hit rates and that never works on what you'd want to use it on, buffs last like 2 turns tops, the direct damage abilities wanted you to do weird poo poo like obsessively catch frogs at every opportunity (but not TOO many, or they take forever to respawn, which we never tell you!), or only work when you're at 1 HP, etc.

Standby blue magics from previous versions got nerfed to crap. E.g.,
Aqua Breath- Inflicts Water-elemental damage to all targets equal to 1/4 of their Max HP (has a 50% success rate) and doesn't work on bosses.
Matra Magic - Reduces one target's HP to 1 (has a 20% success rate) and doesn't work on bosses.

White Wind recovers an amount equal to 1/3rd of Quina's max, which isn't great but is probably the best Blue Magic in IX.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Bardeh posted:

In FFV I had no idea where to go, and sailed all the way to the top left of the map, discovered the little farming town where I seemingly can't do anything, and gave in and looked at a guide, turns out I need to go all the way to the bottom right of the map. Guess I'm gonna have to suffer through a bunch more of these goddamn black ghost thing sea battles to get back down there.

Doesn't the world map wrap so that the upper left corner is right next to every other corner?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Harrow posted:

FFXII is such a weird game and I love it for its weirdness but I also completely understand why any one of those weird elements would be a dealbreaker for someone else.

The Zodiac Spear thing in the vanilla PS2 version is honestly hilarious to me and I can't be mad about it, but like everything else about its loot system is completely bonkers to me. Absolutely nuts and I don't understand why anyone would design a game that way. I don't like to try to argue about what is "good" or "bad" game design, so for me it's really more like... "game design I just don't understand but like whatever man I'll roll with it." None of it is even actually fixed in IZJS, TZA, or even with the SFF mod--the weird RNG loot is intact no matter how you play the game.

Again I adore the game, it's one of my favorite FFs, but anyone who's seen me post about my favorite games before probably already knows that most of them are deeply, sometimes hilariously flawed games that I love as an overall experience anyway.

Eh, the chest system was revamped in IZJS a bit. In the original, almost every chest had a <100% spawn rate, including a few abilities or spells as I recall, and almost none of the equipment chests were guaranteed to actually give equipment. In IZJS, there are a lot more "fixed" chests that always spawn and always have some spell/equipment/whatever in it. IZJS did keep a lot of the random chests that just have some consumable or a pittance of gil that respawns, and presumably the intention with the system is so that you'd always have something to collect for that tiny dopamine hit even as you go back through old zones.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

It's weird; I ended up having a hard time with the Undying even after beating Zodiark and Yiazmat. Like he'd just be zipping around one-shotting characters with his basic gun attacks. I couldn't keep buffs up because people were dying too fast. Probably had more trouble with that boss than other FF bosses I can think of.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's interesting to read that people had problems with The Undying. My wife and I both splattered him in seconds with our over-leveled and optimally geared mages.

I remember destroying him another time on a less complete file without problems. I remember hearing somewhere that collecting all the Espers made him harder in the same way Sephiroth gets harder based on various circumstances, but now I can't find anything to back that up. So either it happens and there's not a good record of it, or it doesn't happen and I don't know why he seemed really hard on a thorough playthrough.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Maybe the removed damage cap and crazy mage multipliers make that easier in the Zodiac age version. Pretty sure he goes through paling phases where he's immune to damage otherwise.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Some sort of Chrono Cross remaster is certainly looking pretty likely now. After all the Nvidia rumors, this 20 year old game is suddenly having a cross-over with some mobile gacha game:
https://www.ign.com/articles/inside-surprise-chrono-cross-over-event-another-eden

The odds of that happening without some sort of brand revival in the works seems incredibly unlikely.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I also like how the Tiny Bronco is, like, maybe a 4-seater? Meanwhile Rufus rolls up with his entire contingent of advisors and military and wants to borrow this tiny-rear end plane.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

And it worked out really well since Cloud managed to get high ratings on tv and was rewarded 5000 gil.

Not my Cloud.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Dalphoon.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Why do they insist on keeping Adam Vampire from us?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I hope they make Matoya a total babe.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Because only the Fayth staying on Spira kept him existing. When they properly died and went on to the Farplane, he no longer had the magic to sustain him.

That's part of what bothered me about X-2. The Fayth in X were like "we've been dreaming for a thousand years please let us die", and defeating Yu Yevon did just that- they were supposed to pass on. But then in X-2 they're still hanging around and are all "sure, we can bring Tidus back why not."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oof, I sure do miss auto saves after FF7 closed because an error ocurred and I'm all the way back at Wutai after having gotten to the Temple of the Ancients.

You forgot

Surrender or die in obscurity! I guess we must fight. Eaaagggghh!!

There, now that's all the good lines from the original translation.

Animals have no god!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I will admit that Tifa talking about sweating and showers constantly was definitely noticeable, but it perhaps made her seem like she had some sort of hyperhidrosis sweating problem more than making her sexier.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Of the XV DLC, Gladio was pretty whatever. Prompto's had some good ideas but also had some questionable control issues I remember. Ignis' and Ardyn's DLCs were both a lot of fun just from a mobility perspective (although a lot of people didn't care for the story stuff on Ardyn's, I thought the gameplay was good). Honestly I feel like the way Ardyn controlled is probably how they WANTED Noctis to control but didn't manage to nail it down by release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

jokes posted:

I thought cait sith was itself a puppet of one of the Turks

It's the other way around: the Turks are each just three Cait Siths in a trenchcoat.