Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm here to kill Chaos and chew bubblegum, and I'm all outta bubblegum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

pretty soft girl posted:

Would love it if JRPGs were like 6-12 hours start to finish on the main scenario, randomizers and fiestas have legitimately ruined playing any of the original versions of the games for me

Voice of Cards took me a little over 14 hours for the first playthrough, but I was taking it pretty slow. It was really nice having even one modern RPG that's brisk and doesn't take a month to finish a casual run of.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Balthier is the main character of a different story.

Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings only for the Nintendo DS!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Sprite Galuf has a sweet beard.

Amano Galuf has no beard.

Pretty obvious who the winner is.

Yeah, there's the objective measure that Amano wins.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Why would you not? Running through the land of the dead to beat the emperor again after he took over heaven rules. :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The important thing to remember about !Gaia though is that, despite everything else about it...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Ochus are basically Otyughs

Allegedly Ochu is how Otyugh is pronounced in Japanese, just to make it even more blatant.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's Speed. It like increases the battle speed by 1 step, and is like... I dont even know this is a spell that exists, but it sure does. You can always just change it n the config menu whenever instead.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Haha wow, that's even dumber than I thought it was. I guess it has a super niche use if you're struggling with a fight being too fast but also you're playing on Active for some reason

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Palmer and the truck are gonna be like a three-stage boss fight, but the Tiny Bronco is absolutely getting cut. Not because it's too goofy or whatever, but because there's no chance there'll be a world map in the first place.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

FFII is as equally seminal to the franchise as FF1, it introduced a hell of a lot of iconic Final Fantasy elements, like dragoons, ultima, behemoths, and chocobos

And yet we've never had a return of "Guy speak beaver", which is a crime

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

X came out here days before my 10th birthday

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Until late 2019, all the best Legend of Mana information was sequestered away in a Yahoo Groups page. The only reason it finally became more publically known was because folks needed to archive it otherwise it would be lost forever when all the user-posted content was deleted.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

When I was playing FF5PR I went there a couple times looking for strats to beat bosses that were giving me trouble. I had to look at 3 or 4 different guides before I found what I needed because even the highest rated guides were written by morons who make sure to tell you that every boss fight is actually super easy and you're a moron for not instantly knowing the trick or weakness to exploit.

I don't know about a thread for general stuff, but this bit about FFV specifically reminded me of this wonderfully terrible old guide for playing the game Freelancer Only (ie not changing Jobs ever). Its listed... "strategy" for the final boss includes these wonderful sentences:

quote:

Use your brain and think about different strategies. There aren't too many things you can do. Attack and pray that you can win.

I also notice, as a general trend, more recent GameFAQs guides have a tendency to get directions completely wrong. So often it says to go left when it means right, or east but it should be west etc. and I just don't know how you can be so consistently wrong about something so basic.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I personally think that 10/10/10 is the best way to distribute them, but everyone who posts on GameFAQs and Reddit will tell you 20 to Stok for Genji Gloves and a free Ribbon. Honestly I feel like two Genji Gloves and two Ribbons is plenty, and would rather have the guaranteed Zodiac Spear/Escutcheon. People will say it's not that bad to get the spear in this version, but even if chests respawn one zone away, it's still a 1% chance which means statistically speaking you still have to open 100 chests. Personally I value my time far more than that.

The chest respawn has nothing to do with that. It's not as bad to get the spear in TZA because it's a relatively easy steal in Trial Mode. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Like i like skys but it just never got the chance to shine which is why it needs to be remastered for the switch

:hai:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

That's more of an Aerith move

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Fred Durst as Cid confirmed.

Fittingly, that would probably mean that Jack is Cid's favorite motherfucker

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SettingSun posted:

You can 100% X-2 in one go, but you shouldn't. There are way too many variables that can mess up and few things feel worse than thinking you had it all good but during the credits you realize you never talked to moogle Yuna in the first 5 minutes of the game.

There's a lot of small, insane bullshit that it makes you do for 1 run 100% but my "favorite" is that you have to rest in the cabin at least once in every chapter.

The one time I tried, guess what I forgot to do in chapter 4. :shepicide:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Bouncer HD REMAKE

They did a 4K remaster of Star Ocean 4 so this is genuinely believable at this point

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Is this demo like the past two and only gonna be playable for a couple days?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I am long past caring about this Diablo-esque randomised equipment with microbonuses. Give me stuff with consistent effects or give me nothing. :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think there's a ranged weapon class though

I haven't tried it yet, but Lancer looks like it's that. Kinda?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm probably just bad at soulslikes because Garland knocked me down a good 30+ times before I beat him with the power of my nakama. Bikke felt a lot easier in comparison.

I don't think it took me quite that long, but Garland was definitely the hardest fight for me too.

At this point, I've just been running through him real quick for free job level shards though. Once I got used to the timing, turns out Soul Shield, counters and spells utterly steamroll :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So long as you never get broken, you can basically use the soul shield forever too I noticed. It always drops to just a sliver but so long as you don't get hit, you can keep using it to guard anyway. At that point you can just dodge for a second then keep it going. It might not be as forgiving on Hard, but I've just been on Action and never had issues with it at least.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's almost like they're picking areas that can be mapped to locations from Final Fantasy 1 for some bizarre reason. Can't put my finger on why they'd be doing that though. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Is there really no side mission before the Flying Fortress? Normally the level jumps are covered by those so they make sense, but I'm not seeing one here, and the best gear I have is still giving the red warning arrow so that makes me think I must be missing something to bridge the gap.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I really enjoyed Tiamat. Maybe the most fun boss fight I've had in the game so far

Lich, however, was an absolute fucker who stonewalled me for way too long and I nearly caved and dropped difficulty from Action but ended up just barely ekeing out a win after about half an hour

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

There should be a color-blind mode or something because as is they're just color coded. If the name has an orange plate, it's a regular blockable move. If it's purple, you can absorb it with the Soul Shield like a Blue Mage spell. If it's red, you can't block it at all.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Some weapons have a skill attached that you can put on any R2/RT but its only usable with that weapon (or another one that gives the same skill) equipped. The trophy is for using one of those.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The FF6 Floating Continent level actively hurt my eyes because of the awful filters it kept throwing on screen, but goddamn did the boss fight rule

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Doing postgame now and I have a bunch of job crests but seemingly no way to use them. Presuming these are what's used for changing equipment affinity, but I can't do that at the smithy. I'm clearly missing a few side missions from somewhere (couple levels still don't have any at all, did all available but didn't get the trophy for it) so I'm thinking one of those is what gives the needed hammer. Problem, of course, is that I dunno how many I'm missing, which one I'm looking for here or where to even find it. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Thoughts on chaos difficulty: it's not very fun

I don't mind it so far, but the very minor bonuses you get from Master Points don't feel remotely worth the hassle of grinding out. It just being that and an equipment treadmill is fairly disappointing. It should at least have some unique content or something and not just "redo everything again but with bigger numbers".

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

so for the plat does this mean I just need to beat the last level on CHAOS then?

Though I guess that I will probably need to grind my rear end off to even be able to do that if this is how it works. Maybe I'll just drop the difficulty back down to normal if that's how those last two trophies are gonna be handled.

The one for completing the game is a bit misleading, since it's for beating any mission on Chaos as far as I can tell. I got it from the first mission in the Chaos Shrine at least.

There's another one for beating a mission that's level 200 (or higher, probably) though. That one you likely won't be able to do without grinding gear up since at the start you'll be around 130. Only way to do that is to do even more on Chaos, either the same one over and over jumping up 10 levels at a time or functionally just going through the game progression again like a pseudo-NG+.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Speaking of, how are people able to get jobs to level 99 so dang fast? There's gotta be some trick to it, like do you get more EXP at higher Affinity and even more for if both slots are the same job or something? Feels like it's slowed to a crawl for me already and I don't even have anything to 35 yet.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

PirateZim posted:

they only go up to 30, which makes it easier

Nah, in the postgame you get items that raise it to 55, 80 and then 99. To get the plat, you need to get at least one job to 99

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Shabadu posted:

wait hold the gently caress up, they made CRAY CLAW difficult? of all the bosses

Nah, not really. He has a good dozen weak points that you can actually target (unlike some other bosses with breakable weak spots where you just have to vaguely position and pray), is still weak to lightning and I'm pretty sure none of his attacks are unblockable too.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Just use Anima Shards on the classes you don't like, or if you want to use them elsewhere, you can wear gear with affinity for whatever job and get EXP for it that way.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, shards are just quick and easy EXP (3000 per shard). Crystals are 10k exp a pop but also used to increase mission levels for more rewards in Chaos difficulty so should be used for that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Once I figured out the probably best way to grind job levels is the Bomb corridor in the Chaos Shrine, this went much quicker than I thought. Looking forward to when the Greg mission drops, and the other 2 DLC ones as well I guess.

Might give regular Nioh a look in at some point now too, though depends how it compares to Killing Chaos I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Heath posted:

It's insane that Ultima doesn't cost MP

I dunno. Having to spend at least 6 in order to be able to use it balances that out.