Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Wasn’t there a jrpg where an entire sidequest just…wasn’t translated? I’d say that’s the worst translation job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I may be in the minority, but Giruvegan through the Great Crystal is one of my favorite sequences in the entire series. And yes, I unironically love the “lol gently caress you” map of the crystal the game gives you.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Butz and Galuf were open-minded as hell.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Jokes aside, almost everything in Chrono Trigger has been seen long before that game.

Like the character designs of Goku, Bulma, Arale, and Launch.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Looks like I can download it right now on iOS.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So you can download it on iOS right now, but it seems you can’t start a new game yet. BUT the music player works, and my god. It is wonderful.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*mutes tv and skips every cutscene*

“This game sucks I have no idea what’s going on”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I regularly forget Irvine exists. Does he have any characterization after the orphanage revelation?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My very first playthrough of FFV in like 1999 I beat Neo Exdeath by constantly throwing money at him

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s amusing that even Balthier is confused as who the main character is.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
VIII itself was the bug. One glorious, bizarre glitch of a game.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFV is very, very good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Controversial opinion that is possibly bad: I think the PRs are so far the definitive versions of the games and are generally excellent. Also, I never liked any of the bonus content and thought they were cheap tack-ons onto already complete games in order to sell the various ports over the years. Going back and just releasing the OG versions is cool and good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFXVII will be developed using the PR engine.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Thankfully I haven’t run into anything buggy in 5PR as of yet, but I’m not surprised it shipped with some jankiness. It’s probably the most internally complex game of the batch, right?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah Balthier is the most egregious one for me. His voice, mannerisms, and worldview scream jaded 30-something.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FF8 is actually a very accurate teenager simulator.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Xad posted:

The Last Story, wii game co-written and directed by sakaguchi

It’s this, with music by Uematsu. It’s literally an FF game with the serial numbers filed off.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Blue Mages are good, yes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

cirus posted:

It would be funny if FFX-3 had more world and Spira is their Bermuda Triangle. HERE BE DRAGONS DEATH WHALE

It’s literally just our Bermuda Triangle and X-3 takes place in Ft. Lauderdale.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFV is the breeziest, chill game in the series. Just a dude and his gal pals (and Galuf) learning increasingly ludicrous ways of killing things while they try and take down a Power Rangers villain. It’s fantastic.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It has been my tradition for like 22 years to make Lenna a Blue Ninja Wizard and goddammit she’s still kicking rear end in the PR.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

Don't worry, I get stuck at this point literally every single time. I love FFV but I get lost on where to progress to next constantly.

Me constantly wandering the ocean fighting endless Corbetts, forgetting to go to Crescent.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This made me wonder if there were Japanese guides to the early FFs, and sure enough there were. I might try and snag a few.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m not sure. I just beat Soul Cannon and I’m level 25 without much outright grinding.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My first time playing vanilla XII I started the final battle with only Balthier alive, and somehow was able to revive everyone and take him down. Everyone was about level 40 and armed with axes, because I thought that was funny at 18.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Anybody else having weird frame rate issues for 5PR on iOS, specifically iPad? They really only crop up on the world map for me, and it’s the only one of the PRs so far that I’ve seen that does it - just slightly stuttery, and a full 1-2 second pause when getting the airship out of the Vault.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FF but literally no commands work. The game soft locks in the very first battle. The game is lauded as an artistic meta-commentary on the futility of perceived choice in gaming.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Lotus Aura posted:

It's Speed. It like increases the battle speed by 1 step, and is like... I dont even know this is a spell that exists, but it sure does. You can always just change it n the config menu whenever instead.

I…didn’t even realize that was a thing either. Lmao at menu options as spells.

Gimme that level 5 “Return to Title Screen”.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I did that with a gf years ago. She knew nothing of the story and was really loving it. At Bone Village, my roommate at the time strolls in and casually asks “oh is Aerith dead yet?”

lmao

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I always assumed it’s something like if the USA were part of an FF world map, there would only be NYC, Miami, Denver, and LA. With maybe something like Gary, Indiana being the token hilariously dilapidated hellhole town.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cardboard Fox posted:

[*]Cloud weighs maybe 250+ pounds?

What

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I also really like how the FMVs sometimes can’t decide whether to use the field or battle models.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I would be a lot more worried if 7R hadn’t completely kicked rear end.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I am going to play the hell out of this dumb game

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want them to faithfully recreate the Circle of Sages at Crescent Lake. Same character model for each one, just chilling in a massive circle. No one questions why they all have the same name and voice.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FF1’s plot was actually hilariously convoluted for a 1987 NES RPG.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Someone on the FF subreddit posted screenshots from 6PR from Famitsu today. Looks real good. The opera scene looks like it got Octopath’ed a bit.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
X is still one of the “new” FFs in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I was 13 and I got it the same day as my PS2. I remember watching the opening cutscene and thinking graphics literally could not get any better.