Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So have they included playable female characters yet? Just a yes or no will suffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's two party members that are ladies. But if that's your first and only litmus test on whether or not a game is worth playing you should probably just bow out of discussions period IMO.

Are they playable, or just present? Keep in mind I stopped paying attention around when Jack said 'bullshit', I might need some catchup.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I have literally not been in this thread for months, and dipped my head in to ask a single question, because I want to like a Final Fantasy Soulsborne-style game based in FF1's world but have one glaring problem with the one we're getting.

Can I play as one of those female party members, or not?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Alxprit posted:

As far as I can tell there's only been one PLAYABLE character. Females are part of the party and story, but like pre-patch XV it seems like they're just going to be AI buddies. I haven't looked too deeply into it though, someone can tell me if I'm wrong.

Great, thanks, easy, I'll leave you all to it.

I'm sure he's a very good joke for people who like that, but personally I find it more painful and irritating than funny, so I was really only here for the things outside of Jack. So if I cannot be outside of Jack, I'm not interested.

Also I was giving the jokes a rest because we're just off of learning that Jack had his phone at hand for his own wedding vows, so frankly we don't need additional Jack dunks for at least a week, I couldn't even imagine he'd be that lovely.

Unrelated, but disappointed that the Sunken Shrine is apparently an underwater lab/reactor. I always liked the vibes of the Sunken Shrine, I thought it'd be really beautiful in current-gen graphics, but apparently no luck on that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yup. Up to 3 players.

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/stranger-of-paradise-trial-version-2

It's mentioned in the press release for trial version 2.

Now I'm almost annoyed that I have to pay attention, because this might possibly be what I need, depending on how they actually do it. Like, is this a full co-op campaign where everyone gets the full experience at once, or is it a Dark Souls-esque 'turn up to help someone complete Mt. Gulg and then disappear once Marilith's dead'? Of course, 'is the netcode good' is also a question, far as I know this team hasn't tried that before, have they?

Of course, the fact they did this also provides some optimism they'll allow for 'Not Jack' solo play, too, like they did with FFXV (and Nioh by different roads). They've already done the intensive part of actually making them fully playable, after all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

lih posted:

nioh had co-op and it seems similar to that. in the demo you could do co-op on a per-level basis - one player is the host who gets story progression & the other two get to be the party members. no this is not an ideal system but whatever

Welp, if it's like that, thar's a whiff. Disappointing, I imagine there would be appeal on a single continuous co-op campaign for this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Lightning Returns was good, but I don't think even the people who like Lightning Returns believe that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Honestly I'll always go to bat for Lightning Returns, my only real complaint is that there's a single required perfect dodge that has a weirdly tight window right at the end, which is basically the worst time to have weirdly bad controls, because it immediately put me in a bad mood at the end of a game I otherwise really liked.

It's just hard to talk openly positively about it because it's Lightning loving Returns. That's the equivalent of someone really talking up, like, a really late Silent Hill game; not only is it completely right to question how that one managed to suddenly get good, but you also kind of question the standards of someone who stuck around long enough to check it out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
XIII-2 is Stupid Chrono Trigger, so while I don't think I'd call it the best, I would say it's the hardest to hate. If you liked Chrono Trigger, XIII-2 is like if someone adapted it into a so-bad-it's-good movie. And who doesn't like Chrono Trigger?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The only thing I know about Skies of Arcadia is that it brought one of Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed's stages. Which takes palce during an air raid, and the laps go from ground-based to sky-based as the land itself gets bombed out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
They'll announce it in opera form.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

yeah I want a Mega Man Legends sequel too :(

This, but Battle Network.

...although maybe a spiritual sequel would be better than an actual one, I get the feeling that maybe we don't want to trust Capcom with a video game set in the internet right now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The GBA remakes introduced me to the idea of what a remake should be, and they still stand as a gold standard. Pixel remasters are pretty much right beside them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vikar Jerome posted:

wait until you see the real gold standard of resident evil 1 on the gamecube.

I haven't played it (and probably won't, nothing really for me in Resident Evil), but from what I've heard yeah, it's exactly the thing I'd want from a remake.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Leal posted:

Kiryu has murdered multiple people and everyone thinks he is a good guy so....

What are you talking about, Kiryu has never killed a human being in his life

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Wolfsheim posted:

Playing through the Shinra building in FFVIIR and the staircase sequence is perfect, I love how slow you're walking by the end of it :allears:

Also lol at the President Shinra memorial exhibit not mentioning his son at all, no wonder he's such a little poo poo

The biggest misstep in the remake's writing is that Barrett is so switched off in the Shinra presentations. Dude, this is the enemy's direct PR, you should either be taking notes so you can appropriately combat it, or already have the counterpoints mentally queued up!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vermain posted:

Remake Barret is the kind of character I wish there were more of in RPGs: genuinely good people on the side of the protagonist who nevertheless hold extreme views that create inter-party tension. He's not a cartoon character who really loves violence for the pure sake of it, but he's unrepentant about the use of drastic force to combat what he sees as a threat to the world, collateral damage be damned. Reminds me a lot of Kira from DS9; her politics become more nuanced as the show goes on, but there's never a second where she isn't fully committed to the idea that her terrorism and the deaths it caused weren't completely justified.

I'm hoping it actually retains in theoretical future remake games, because I do think the most disappointing thing about the original FFVII's story (outside of learning that the Sephiroth/Jenova dynamic is less interesting than I thought) was that they pull back on Barrett by having him say at some point that he was just lashing out in anger with AVALANCHE. No, have him fully believe in what he did, it makes him way more interesting. In fact, it feels kinda weird that they push Barrett further there in the remake, while it feels like they do their best to soften up the rest of the cell by having the size of the explosion be Shinra sabotage rather than them genuinely wanting to blow up big.

I similarly really like Endwalker for standing by one of their more extreme characters. There's no ambiguity in the story that the Sundering was a morally horrible thing for Venat to do, and it's an act that weighs heavily on her, but never at any point does she regret what she did; she only laments that she had to.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Even aside from the softening of the bombing by putting more explicit blame on Shinra, there's also that bit where the other AVALANCHE cell comes in guns blazing and way more aggressive, to implicitly say 'see, Barrett's cell isn't so bad in comparison'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

The game says literally the opposite of that. Barrett's cell is considered the dangerous extremists. Like you literally hang out with some of them in Yuffie's DLC and they are like "Wow poo poo those other guys are CRAZY"

Well I haven't seen the Yuffie DLC, so that's a gap in my knowledge.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Calaveron posted:

The whole trip to Costa del Sol, and Costa del Sol is gonna be wild if they keep the ethos of wildly expanding the shorter setpieces but also keeping the goofy spirit of the original I tell you what

They better keep the part where Cessna is a real company that exists in the FFVII world.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Since we brought it up last page: what are other weird statements in FF games that drag in the real world? I remember that not only did the Supernova animation show our solar system, FFIV specifically mentions real planets when framing the Red Moon's journey. And while it doesn't pin the game world as being Earth necessarily, an NPC in Endwalker does mention the real-world star of Deneb, suggesting that FFXIV is in a universe with an Earth (amd apparently Earth star names).

I don't know why, but I find these off-handed mentions of real-rear end things in this clearly fantasy setting to be hilarious.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Woolsey was the master of something we didn't even know was an art form at the time, and I hate how long it took the internet as a whole to recognize that work rather than dismissing it because it had differences to the original script.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It would take a new layer of context to make them all feel cohesive together. It would make sense to retcon the entire world into a single region, much like how X and XII never let fly over a donut planet in your airship.

It also lets them still include the existence of Cessna and Korean barbeque in the game as they were in the original. Yes, there's a Korea in this world, it's just... over there. Off-screen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I like silent protagonists because chances are fairly low that I disagree with or dislike any aspect of their personality. It really sucks when that happens, because it basically kills the entire story for me.

Link's probably not a jackass, and so I'm unlikely to turn away from a Zelda game because of him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
EDIT: I didn't do a lot of those quests you talk about (I don't like BotW for other reasons), so to me BotW Link is mostly just a dipshit who eats rocks.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Genuine question, why is only being able to play as Link, a dude, not a dealbreaker for you in the same way that Noct+bros, Jack, or Clive are?

I'm really not trying to get in a sick burn or anything here, and I'd appreciate it if nobody else takes it as an invitation.

It's a good question, and I would say that the difference isn't so much the character themselves as the story around them. I've realized I don't want certain stories in my life anymore, and while 'playable woman' isn't the be-all-end-all defining thing, there's games that need to take that step to give me any confidence in them.

FFXV and Stranger in Paradise are off-puttingly masculine for me. Stranger in a very overt way, XV more subtly (but not much more, thanks Sydney). It's an energy I really hate and just don't want to play another game in. 'I want to play as a woman' isn't so much an ultimatum as it is a single, simple demand to show that a game isn't doing that. And a very easy one to make here, too, since every mainline Final Fantasy game before XV has cleared that bar.

Zelda doesn't really need to bother, because while it's far from the most progressive game, it's never really felt heavily masculine to any defining degree. Maybe that's because it's literally named after a female character, but I can't think of a Zelda game beyond, like, the NES that doesn't feature women at least reasonably prominently, and often not in the damsel role (at least not entirely). Similarly, I've been loving SMTV, but I wasn't pissed off that the protagonist was a guy because... honestly, look at that design and tell me with a straight face that the story will have problems with toxic masculinity.

There are other games I'd make that demand of before I'd consider playing them, but you don't know about them because I don't really discuss why I don't play GTA. But certain recent Final Fantasy games it comes up about, because it's burned me before and I otherwise really enjoy Final Fantasy.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 3, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

FFXV is positive masculinity because it's a bunch of bros on a road trip and they spend half the time talking about their feelings and cooking each other meals and taking group photos

Yeah, I still don't really want another FFXV. Again; not a story I want in my life anymore.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Frionnel posted:

Sometimes a game is not for you and it's OKAY

Exactly. But I like when stories are for me, so when we're in borderline territory I like to check if it might be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I guess it's more noticeable with VI, because it mostly focuses its 'joke stuff' around specific characters rather than story segments. Gau, Ultros and Mog are always pretty comedic, so you can practically see the joke content coming because of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Espers are basically a fake 'core system', the real core of FFVI's gameplay is all the characters' extra abilities.

You start off using Tools, Blitz, and Rage, and you end the game using Tools, Blitz and Rage. You just experiment a little with magic in the middle.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Incredible how completely wrong this post is.

It's not my fault that a full circle motion hits the damage cap! Take it up with 1994!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gaius Marius posted:

The ghost guy on the way out of Zozo tells you

But everyone in Zozo lies, so if he tells you that you can, then you can't.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I'm trying to think of any character that would rather use their unique skill late game instead of magic, and it's pretty much just Sabin and uh...Strago? Cyan too I guess if you're playing the mobile version of VI where you can just set him to charge and still control the other party members (which PR will hopefully keep). Well also Locke, but his doesn't really deal damage unless you turn it into Capture/Mug which would still deal poo poo damage and be a waste of a relic slot.

I specifically mentioned Tools because, even if it doesn't hit the damage cap, Chainsaw is free both to get and use and never really falls off.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Twelve by Pies posted:

The fact that 25% of the time Edgar will do nothing makes Chainsaw suck in comparison to magic, where you will do nothing 0% of the time. Drill is better than Chainsaw even if it does less damage. But why would you use that when you can just use magic? I guess Drill doesn't cost MP, but...so? There's tons of MP restoration items.

If you're someone like I was as a kid, who refuses to use any consumables because you might need them someday, then free damage is a huge get.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

This is suspicious in such a promising way. You wouldn't release high-quality figures from a cult classic 90s game for nothing, surely? There's something else bringing this into attention?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Honestly, I haven't been paying enough attention to Square-Enix produced collectibles to see if there's any common trend, I was just noticing that this was weirdly out of nowhere, unless that FFT remake is actually happening.

But now that I know 'weirdly out of nowhere' is actually kinda normal for S-E collectibles, it's less interesting.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

WaltherFeng posted:

Square still sells toys for Front Mission.

And in retrospect, I knew that just a few years ago there was a model kit for Cruise Chaser Blassty (the original, not the FFXIV version), so I dunno why I got excited.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I remember back before SuMo were released, there was a leak that talked about how there were no gyms in Alola, there were regional forms of Pokemon that were different from the old ones, and that Ultra Beasts were from another dimension. All of those were true, but that leak also talked about how there was a new water type Growlite/Arcanine.

So as a Pokemon fan, "100% proven true leak" means absolutely nothing to me.

The GeForce now leak is true in the most useless way, in that it's essentially just a list of games that developers told Nvidia they were making at one point in time. It's got no capacity to describe changed plans or progress made before it was put there, it's basically just 'someone told us this was coming so it's on the list'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Leal posted:

Remake FFT but with voice acting. I want to read someone read out "The ditch that your baseborn father fell upon your mother"

This is only acceptable if the cast is entirely out-of-work English theater actors who are just really desperate to get cast by the Royal Shakespeare Company but failing.

I don't want a single person in that script under-playing their lines. Every single person should feel like Steven Toast.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Actually I'd kinda prefer we not have Ultros, but that was less VI's fault and more XIV's.

The worst character quality of his to go all-in on was his perviness, and oh god did they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Personally I think we're too quick to poo poo on people who disagree with the groupthink here, so I'm keen to listen to Gaius keep going. Either they're going to make good points eventually or at some point be interesting.