Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Just out or curiosity, anyone prefer the original translation of FFT? The new translation was fine, but the original felt more natural (if that makes sense).

Both are kinda jank from what I’ve seen/remembered, the original has that classic PSX-era “why the does a text heavy game need a dedicated translator, just have a bug fixer do it” jank and WotL is trying too hard to be flowery instead of just getting Alexander O Smith to just do it like XII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

The WOTL translation was a touch too flowery for me as well :smith:.

If nothing else, the new translation deserves props for organically putting a “spoony bard” reference in the game. I don’t think the guy was up his own rear end if he did that, he just tried emulating a style he want overly familiar with.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
FFX doesn’t have a game-spanning scavenger hunt minigame though? I feel like id probably have replayed it by now if it did…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Victory Position posted:

I just want to talk about Edge (FFIV) for a moment,

I heard his full name was Edward Geraldine, he sounds like a nerd.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean to be fair Edward was iirc originally Gilbert and EdGe’s proper name is mainly from supplemental material so it’s more of weird quirk of localization.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

It's been too long since I played 4 to remember anything about him but I always assumed Edge was a popular character since he's a ninja

He kinda makes battles interesting with his dual wielding imho; since he can equip Yang’s claws you can shuffle his inventory around even mid-combat to optimize damage with a katana + [weakness element] claw. Still a nerd tho.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think Chrono Trigger is a solid enough game overall and pretty good for just being a pretty short game where you go to cool areas that even now aren’t usually seen all together like post-apocalyptic future and idyllic magic utopia hovering above the shitshow ice age caused by Majin Jenova, but whenever people complement it on its lack of random encounters I feel like there’s some real rose tinted glasses.

Because, umm, I guess they’re not random in the sense that if you walk to a specific spot there’s always gonna be monsters that run out to accost you but like half the game, probably closer to 2/3, doesn’t have what people think of when they think of how revolutionary Chrono Trigger was with onscreen encounters you can actively avoid and imho are more obnoxious than Dragon Quest’s.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

pretty soft girl posted:

I pity anyone that doesn't get the satisfaction of coming to the spellblade/barrage/dual wield conclusion on their own

Dissidia might have a dumpster fire story but it also had all kinds of deep cuts like Bartz’s ultimate attack being literally just that.

I still can’t believe they put !Rapid Fire in the game as is, like yeah !Spellblade can poo poo damage if you know elemental weaknesses but them just going “oh you mastered Archer, here, have this attack that does four half damage hits, never misses unless it’s the final boss that has dummy targets (iirc) and pierces defense” because I’m pretty sure most job mastery skills suuuuuuuck even in a vacuum. Not that I’m complaining, don’t get me wrong, just surprised they were willing to walk back knives but not that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think they assume your levels are gonna be slightly off cause of deaths but yeah, that’s one of the nastiest tricks in the series to set you up perfectly to get instawiped.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc the PC version is supposed to be slightly modified to remove a handful of iconic lines like that but they don’t do the obvious thing of just retranslating it. Which kinda seems important with (FF7 Remake spoilers)the weird timeline fuckery, to better note differences between the original/remake without a guide but what do I know? It’s not like you couldn’t sell “new translation” as a selling point even if the original functions.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

The ugly steam version had an all Rages achievement and an all Lores achievement so it'll be on the PR list too.

Jesus Christ why? Like, getting all the lores is just a waste of time but for every Meteo, Air Slash and 100,000 Volts there’s a dozen chaff rages that actively make the command worse because you have to sift through them for the one you want.

Heck, if they decided to go the FF3 PR route it would be pretty cool if they still had the Veldt as is but only had a menu of like 40 rages.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Doesn't the WotL version increase the JP requirements for some abilities and for reaching higher job levels (and consequently, for unlocking more jobs)? That always sounded like a bummer, because then you might end up needing to grind to reach high-tier job in a reasonable timeframe.

I think it’s more that the US release of Tactics PSX reduced some cost stuff all around (buying units in WOTL is much pricier iirc which sucks cause it’s optimal to make sure everyone has Zodiac compatibility) and War of the Lions is mechanically faithful to the original all around. Same difference but still.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Counterpoint: Zodiac compatability doesn't do squat. FFT is extremely easy to steamroll without worrying that the mook you're going to punch into oblivion is a libra or a Taurus. Much like real life, astrology is for chumps.

Unless you're Orran. In which case GALAXY STOP

I don’t really care about min/max stuff, it just kinda sucks to have buffs miss because your units have bad compatibility with each other.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Berserkers/axes are really neat but they’re pretty random between berserkers having random targets in most versions, axes mostly having 80% hit (lots of weapons have the same/lower hit but they run off the Knives damage formula that halves enemy evasion) and a fluctuating range of damage on top of that. They hit hard but it’s not hard to see why most players just ignore the job when their berserker whiffs or rolls for low damage on something where the axes’ defense piercing isn’t a big deal.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

jokes posted:

In FF12 it is actually Badong because the primary (only?) purpose of stealing is to get money and there’s a button that just gives you infinite gil in TZA

I thought selling those items in a specific way unlocked new equipment? Because it’s a Matsuno game, of course.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

The king of baron stuff is really weird and I'm sure gets fleshed out more in the ds remake but uh....
So the real king of baron gets beaten up(killed?) and Cagnazzo shapeshifts into him while also I guess promising Baigan sweet power if you turn into a weirdo snake arm man?

Also the (dead?) King of baron is also...Odin???

But even before this the real king of baron commissions a fleet of airships, but Cid says that they're now being used for war where as before they were used for...? Travel?

It's just a weird plot point that even as a kid made me go "huh?".

I mean, I can at least buy that there were always monsters to kill even if iirc Zemus exerting his will made them more prevalent, and some of them fly so you’d want a ship fleet to handle the giant birds.

And I think the king just reincarnates into a Norse god because he’s cool like that, Hiryu in V turns into a phoenix so I guess it’s just a thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I peeped the damage formula out of curiosity and man that really is ten kinds of dogshit, lol. Why does it feel like FFV was the only game to handle random damage weapons properly?

(for anyone that cares, usually the multiplier for weapons that leads to damage variance is Attack x (1 ~ 1.125) but for those three it’s Attack x (0 ~ 1.1). According to the wiki the variance in FFV led to a 50 ~ 150% difference in damage.)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Does the Chicken Knife still do it’s “normal” SFC/GBA damage? It seems like that would have been fixed so they can pretend there’s a choice between dealing with pointless random encounters for a weapon one job can use or grabbing a weapon like every job including knights can but Idk.

multijoe posted:

Just thinking ahead on FFV, how badly would I screw myself not using any offensive magic jobs? I don't think there's any barrier change gimmicks bosses or anything of that sort, is there?

I mean, it’s your main source of crowd control and elemental damage, it’s doable but also its not like Tactics where you need to level magic jobs to get more magic jobs and make the old ones better so you can just change your mind at any point if you buy spells ahead of time just in case. But also I guess if Mystic Knights don’t count as “offensive magic” then you won’t even be that badly off.

I guess it’ll suck to have to hunt down relevant monsters for !Blue if you wait the entire game though.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 20, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thief mostly sucks (well, they’re nice utility between Vigilance and super speed) besides the brief stretch where they get Zidane’s thief swords to play with but the only thing that affects stealing is the one accessory that doubles the rate so it’s not like it matters if you haven’t used one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is only my second playthrough of FF5. The first one was 10 years ago and I never got past the first ExDeath fight. Please explain the Chicken Knife shenanigans everyone keeps talking about.

People mentioned the fleeing part, but you got extra ripped off because the Chicken Knife uses the Agility stat as well as Strength as a modifier in its damage formula so even if you never flee the maxed out 150 Attack Brave Blade that only the Knight and Freelancers can equip is always gonna do less damage than the 128 Attack Chicken Knife everyone can use.

It effectively has 75% accuracy but even that doesn’t matter much in practice because !Rapid Fire ignores that proc.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ultros should really just be a series staple that constantly comes to make weird double entendres and be goofy in general.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Gimme vivid anime hair, imo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

FF6 is an excellent game with a ton of half-baked mechanics: esper-leveling, Gau's rages, Mog's Dances, Cyan's Bushido...

Final Fantasy VI feels like a dozen people were just going all in on cool gameplay ideas without any communication, so you have all these commands that fall off in World or Ruin like Tools/Dance, commands that are super situational like Runic, and stuff that sucks like Bushido because someone thought charge times would be cool without thinking about how easy FFVI is.

and then Sketch, which I’ve mentioned before a few times but for a tl;dr it uses enemy stats but the player damage formula in a game where enemies have terrible stats because level is so influential to their damage formula so even when you get something like Ultima on the final boss it’s running off their 6 Magic Attack.

It’s kinda admirable. Like, no joke. It also represents a clusterfuck of development organization to have a command like Rage where having the ambition to have 256* Rages actively makes the game worse than scaling back but it’s still shows passion for the end result to have so many weird command ideas.

*iirc every version of FFVI locks off the 256th Rage, Tonberry, which is something like x8 damage when it’s command procs, because the menu can only show 255 slots. FFVI is kind of a mess!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A killer change for 6PR would be to let Mog and Gau be controllable after unleashing their ability.

Also it’d be pretty cool if Gau had normal attack power and could just use claws, idk what they were thinking when they decided he should just be a monk complete with falling off hard because his weapons don’t scale late game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Twintania’s Gigaflare charge is a huge debuff according to the wiki. So huge that it makes them vulnerable to instant death (Odin) and Petrify (!Spellblade) among others, along with reducing their ailment evasion.

Edit: efb

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That’s assuming he wants to beat Shinryu though

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Characters have slight modifiers to their stats (iirc Bartz is the strongest, Lenna has the best magic, Faris is well-rounded and Galuf has the best Stamina/worst Speed) but aside from Galuf’s speed they’re slight enough to mostly be flavor stuff, and from what people said the PR randomizes starting turn order so speed might not even be super noticeable anymore.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Exdeath really loves being evil, maybe it’s not the most nuanced writing compared to some of the higher end FF antagonists but chewing scenery and being obviously evil is really an underrated villain niche.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
What does Scan even do? It’s just a basic stat check that’s glitched to be half assed in some versions of FF5, right?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just have old poo poo in my basement so all I get is a Y Burn.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It would legit be pretty great if the entire remake built up to Sephiroth realizing he pulled an Obi-Wan with Aerith’s death and just undoing that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cirus posted:

If completely hidden massive stat penalties on equipment is your jam you should definitely give it a shot.

Still mind boggling that they did everything they did with making III more or less a fusion of the Famicom/DS versions but decided to bring back hidden magic penalties on armor while changing enough stuff that it’s not strictly faithful (rows, ailments, Toad) anymore anyway.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIV has it actually.

drat, maybe I need to finally play FFXIX after all…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda have to wonder why they couldn’t just chill out and not add him or make him so prevalent in general, having him be the last boss that you presumably beat (haven’t beat FF7R) seems like it’s gonna take away from that one moment with the Midgar Zolum)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Man FFVII is so wild sometimes. It's like XII levels of jank when it comes to element distribution at times.

Tbh the elemental thing is just Final Fantasy as a whole when it comes to anything except the Fire/Ice/Lighting elemental trinity. Like, FFV has an attack called Aqua Breath that isn’t even water-elemental, base FFVI just has ra-level stuff for water (Bismarck, some of Mog’s dances, the water scroll, and Lore’s Aqua Breath/Tsunami iirc) and iirc Poison is an element in VI but there’s only Poison, Bioblaster and Bio for that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its contemporary with dragonquest 3, right? Isnt that one kinda wonky too?

It’s probably the first RPG to have the twist that the bad guy you went on a full length adventure to kill was just a henchman, and you go to the world of the first two Dragon Quests to kill the actual bad guy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Electromax posted:

So the general thinking is that Square is presenting this as a remake of FF1 with named characters for the party members, but the twist is that the four MCs become the four fiends/Garland that the actual party fights in FF1? Haven't been following it closely and didn't play the demo, mildly interested but it isn't totally clear what's official and what isn't.

I haven’t played the demo but iirc the fact that Garland’s health bar title was “Chaos???“ tipped people off to the later confirmed twist that Jack’s full name is Jack Garland. The Four Fiends thing is speculation but really since they confirmed Jack Garland it’s not much of a stretch.

Tbh im interested because of the YouTube shitpost videos and the actual game looks legit fun to engage with, if it’s story is enjoyable-bad that’s a bonus but I just finished KH3 and as batshit as that story is the execution is mostly bland, so im kinda skeptical.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

You could Dragoon jump in the Episode Duscae demo of FFXV, but all of the weapon abilities taken out of the final game. There aren’t any uses for MP now apart from warp striking. Maybe they could have tied Royal Arms to it instead of your HP. There were some useful abilities like a stinger attack to close distance and a move to drain HP from an enemy to recover your own.

The Dragoon jump was really bad too, you spent several seconds in the air and there was no tracking, so unless the enemy was completely still or you just happened to land on another one the MP was wasted. In that video of Stranger of Paradise it’s much faster.

Man, FFXV was filled with terrible ideas for how to design an action RPG, but that’s the case for all of Tabata’s games. Anyone saying FFVIIR is similar to FFXV has no idea what they’re talking about, plus they were developed by completely different teams. I mean, I liked Crisis Core on Normal but it completely falls apart on Hard. When you can be one-shot by completely unavoidable attacks you really notice issues like unskippable cutscenes and the game completely resetting when you get a game over.

Wait, 15 originally had skills like a proper WRPG? I’m not gonna lie it’s been years and it’s not like I got super far but from what I remember you just used MP for warping like you mentioned and iirc dodgetanking. Kinda lame then.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol, that owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

multijoe posted:

Who would have thought that the secret to good video game dubs was just to getting it done by british theatre actors

I think the secret is to just not have people mandating weird grunts/gasps, even anime voice actors don’t like them.