Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i thought the SA reference in the ff4 retranslation was fine, OP. not sure why anyone would get fired up about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Translations should translate not add epic memes. See also Pokemon diamond.

sometimes it is okay to add jokes in localization. especially when, like cid's line, it doesn't even read as a joke unless you know about a dead web forum, and it still conveys exactly the same question ("hey, are you taking good care of my airships? don't let your boys gently caress em up")

it's not anywhere near the egregiousness of, say, vic "let's put clinton jokes in lunar" ireland

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cuntman.net posted:

i think he is, because he understands being screwed over by where you were born

he eventually comes to include ovelia with ramza as exceptions to his policy of "all nobles are bastards" but it takes a while; it's appropriate for him to treat her brusquely at first imo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

defenders of the WotL translation should surrender or die in obscurity, imo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Vinny brought this up in his Metroid Dread finale and now I'm curious too. Is Final Fantasy the series with the most numbered sequels? He didn't mean the most games, like there might be 25 Madden games (making up a number) but they're named after the year they were released. But with Final Fantasy 16 on the way, are there any other games that are for example Super Mario Bros. 16, or higher? The only one I can think of that comes close is Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV, which is still less than Final Fantasy by one even if you're only counting released titles.

king of fighters is about to hit 15. if ff17 takes forever SNK might pull out ahead

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you can farm more than one orb for those weapons

SoM was not hastily cut down from a CD version; they decided early in the project to make it a traditional cart game instead. it was slightly unfinished in that the whole empire section is very cut down, but it's not clear whether that was due to time constraints or space constraints (i.e. square not wanting to shell out for a slightly bigger cart to hold everything they had planned)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if you can't handle cloud of darkness just grind in the crystal tower for a bit and try again. there is no reason to structure your whole run, locking yourself out of most of the classes, around the final boss when the solution is very simple

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

so are tidus and wakka gay and in love or not

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

final fantasy 8, where radios are witches, the moon is monsters, aliens are real, the north pole is the future and your school is a hovercraft

ff8 was a documentary

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Finally got around to playing the FF7 Remake and finding myself kinda bugged by some of the "real world" art assets. The original FF7 had a neon sign that said "Texas" and Sephiroth blowing up our solar system multiple times (the Japanese version at least wasn't naming the planets to keep some plausible deniability), and then more recently FF15 had American Express credit card stickers on shop doors which... ~my immersion~, but ok I get that they had to sell out to Amex and Coleman to keep the lights on, and at least the Cup Noodle thing got a laugh out of me... and yes I'm aware Advent Children had smartphone product placement.

anyway, now FF7R has PC keyboards with identical layout to modern ones (ever-so-slightly photoshopped the Windows key), flatscreen monitors with that vertical slide-adjust stand, all the shipping containers happen to be exact ISO spec, those kinds of things. It's all very... not stylized?

I guess what I'm curious about is did Squeenix actually model all these or was it more of a 3rd party and/or outsourced asset flip thing?

edit: Oof what a way to start a page :jecht:

i think it makes the whole environmentalism theme even stronger if the mako reactors are literally fueling a direct 1-to-1 analogue for modern society. everything outside of midgar should bear no resemblance to real-world modern objects while palmer should be playing angry birds on his shinraPhone every time he shows up.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

So does that make Kingdom Hearts the afterlife?

kingdom hearts is hell. dissidia is heaven

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

war of the lions loses punchiness at some really key points particularly in chapter 1, where the original translation is at its best. ramza and delita both lose some of their best lines (yes, the famous one, but other good ones as well) and algus/argath's big meltdown at fort zeakden is absolutely ruined, all of the brutality of his attitude and beliefs is lost because he just sounds like a typical noble brat justifying his classism instead of an absolutely unhinged psycho laying bare the complete contempt the nobility has for the common people but if you're interested in understanding what is actually going on in chapters 3 and 4 when the politics start to get more complicated then it's much better. i personally favor the original translation after having played war of the lions once since i now know what's going on so i can decipher the garbled parts later on, but they both have strengths and weaknesses

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 13, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

FF8 is pretty up there for worst FF world to exist in as a normal person. It isn't the absolute worst since it doesn't have a World of Ruin but it's still pretty freaking bad.

i would just live in a nice town and not listen to the moon screams, personally

ff4 seems like it was a nice place to live before cecil started jetting around stealing crystals

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hellioning posted:

I feel like the War of the Lions translation can be "too flowery" and still be a massive improvement over "I got a good feeling" and "the people of Ivalice had little money."

l i t t l e m o n e y

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the part of squall's brain that contained "how to talk to girls" got eaten by doomtrain

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Harrow posted:

his name is Exdeath and not Exodus for the same reason her name is Aerith and not Aeris actually

his name is exdeath and her name is aeris. i will not be taking questions

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Lots of companies put out yearly games in that era. AAA development was just faster back then.

i would trade every bit of fancy graphics we've developed since then to regain that pace of development. it would be healthier for literally every aspect of the industry

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

rick gomez always brings 100% to every role and that's hard to match

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

I did too! Wanted to play a new MMO and figured why not. I have a level 29 RDM/1 BLM. it was kind of trip to make the long trek to Jeuno for the mount quest. I was tickled there was a thing to do to unlock mounts, feels like forever since ive had to do something for that. The Trusts and I even died a couple times on the trip to go farm grass for the it!

Pretty cool. I’m not sure what is expansion-related or not, just enjoying the ride

hey i'm just gonna say this because you'd get infinite poo poo for it if anybody actually partied on retail and it's part of the classic experience...

level your subjob!!!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

biceps crimes posted:

FFXI was incredible when it came out. The pacing is really contemplative and there are long stretches of distance to travel and time to spend with others getting lost and getting hosed up. Nothing really comes close to recreating that social experience or world immersion nowadays, but that’s okay. I wonder how it holds up on a revisit

i am playing on the recently launched private server, horizonXI, which is starting out at chains of promathia era (2005) and the plan is to expand the game, eventually into all of the content, but without ever turning on trusts or raising the level cap above 75. there are 2000-4000 people on at any one time, which is roughly what you'd have had on a retail server back in the day, or more.

it's...interesting. the game doesn't respect your time but it respects it more than i remember, at least - travel isn't necessarily quick or easy the first time you do it, but eventually you have a variety of teleportation methods unlocked that can get you pretty much anywhere you want to go fairly quickly. people are generally on board with genuinely trying to make it the social experience it was at the time, and honestly, vana'diel is still a really interesting world with an impressive amount of environmental storytelling going on.

there's a thread up in mmo hmo; if you've ever been curious about what FFXI was like to play as originally intended, this is probably the best chance you'll ever get at experiencing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

I played all of a week of F11 (I did not have the will to continue without RL friends who dropped pretty much immediately lol) but I've always been kinda interested in it. I blame it on the music I guess. Maybe it's worth giving a shot while this private server thing is still running. I genuinely wonder how many new players it actually gets!

there are a few running around. i've partied/chatted in linkshell chat with about 10 people who have said they're new to the game, and probably a reasonable number of new people who never said anything. there are a lot of people who played it for a few months in 2005. and haven't played it since. playing, though; this server has a lot more people than any of the previous private servers managed to attract, and they mostly fall into one of those two camps. the proportion of really sweaty vets who have played the game for 20 years is very low.

Alxprit posted:

I've been able to tolerate modern MapleStory for quite a while now so I wonder if FFXI would really be all that bad to me. But the socially-driven stuff is what really pains me, cause I have lots of anxiety about being the weak link in a group no matter what game. This is why I'm glad Trusts exist in it and in XIV as well, it's like... so nice to be able to learn at my own pace before throwing myself into the blender of other people, even if it's not all that hard to begin with.

to be honest, while ffxi combat is fun, the average encounter is not especially complex. pretty much any role other than healer is low pressure stuff, so you could start as a monk or black mage maybe and get a feel for how things work through observation while just punching things or casting spells on the monsters.