Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Chrono Cross is a game that is solidly fine, it has very high highs but it has some really bad aspects as well. Only a handful of playable characters get development, the element system makes swapping out characters a hassle so you’re discouraged from fully utilizing the large cast, and the difficulty is maybe too easy except for like two really difficult fights (Miguel and Dario).

There are great plot segments (Fairy genocide, chronopolis, viper manor) and boring pointless filler (almost everything on the Zelbess, Gaia’s Navel, anything with Starky). Thankfully, the New Game + mode included a fast forward button.

To anyone who liked Chrono Cross, I would highly recommend Baten Kaitos. Masato Kato was definitely in a similar mood when writing it, the world has a similar feel, and it’s also highly flawed but with some really excellent parts to it.

Anyway here’s my Chrono Cross character tier list
SS: Serge, Lynx, Glenn
S: Harle, Guile
A: Kid
Bunny-girl: Janice
C: pretty much everyone else
F: Poshul

Mojoy not SSS tier, Bad opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jokes posted:

The ultimate own, that the 100% ending is the worst ending

It's the only ending that brings the overall theme of X/X-2 back to being personal to Yuna after all the poo poo you did for the world at large and it's good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jokes posted:

She is supposed to move on, giving her Tidus is a complete 180 on their development of the world of Spira

Yuna only gets Tidus back by 100%ing the world and helping everyone ELSE move on, which is even weirder.

It’s better for Yuna to be without Tidus so that she can date me instead

You're not just helping the world move on is the thing. That's not what the message about X OR X-2 Was! It's about how the covering up the sins of the past and the constant sacrifice of life (Willing and not) has lead the world into a spiral of death and destruction that it cannot break free from. Moving on doesn't work to fix it. Nooj/Gippal/Ber's whole plan was to kill themselves to help the world move on and Yuna looks them dead in the idea and tells them that plan sucks. It's about actually fixing the mistakes of the past, it's why X-2's 100% has you going across spira, righting wrongs both recent and ancient, stopping the sacrifice and death and destruction that came with them. The ending is the world recognizing all this and in turn putting right the seemingly pointless sacrifice in Yuna's life. Tidus clearly knew what he did was selfish, he says so himself, he kept this all to himself because he knew they would hunt down another way to defeat Sin and he didn't think they had the time. Which is exactly what the Crimson squad's plan was to Beat the new rage ghost. You don't just seal away all those great evils and dark history, you go down there and loving deal with it and put everything right.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

I haven't played FF5 in like 10 years or so and it was the PS1 version and holy moly I forgot how annoying some of these dungeons are. I always get lost in the steam ship and I'm shocked I got through the library so fast. 2 back to back annoying maze dungeons sucked.

The fire ship is like...7 rooms long.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

The dream project for the Eternals screenwriters is to do a FFVII movie.

(Big Eternals spoilers: https://www.polygon.com/22771286/eternals-hiroshima-scene-marvel-writers-interview)

They should get good writers for it instead.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

So after hearing about 4JF for years I finally looked it up today and that sounds like it's only for hardcores who have beaten the game a zillion times. I can't imagine beating half the bosses without a ton of grinding for the best abilities and god help you if you get blue mage and have to spend tons of time trying to get all the best abilities.

How is this a thing people enjoy?

You grind a lot less because you just need less AP in general since you only have 4 jobs to worry about outside of getting like....multi Zerker which is a separate category you have to opt into.

And Blue mage you only need like... a few abilities and most of them are incredibly easy to nab.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea the FF5PR bugs really stood out because as a franchise Final Fantasy has been mostly bug free, and the ones it did have were fun helpful bugs, like having 255 Excaliburs in FF4 or Relm's Sketch bug.

Although maybe the way I should phrase it is they had a lot of bugs that weren't visible unless you were looking under the hood. Stuff like INT being broken in FF1, Magic Evade in 6, etc, etc.

Every single FF game up until like....X has had some major mechanic or number that either did not work as intended or just didn't work at all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The only thing they should add to CC is more Chrono Trigger characters dying in embarrassing ways.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Add in a scene of Crono blasting the Porre army with Luminaire, Marle and Lucca throwing ice and fire at them, looking like gods on the battlefield, until they're finally just overrun by sheer numbers, just to shut up the people who go "But Crono wouldn't lose to an army!"

It'd be kind of hard to have scenes of Ayla and Glenn dying though, since they died centuries before Chrono Cross happens.

FATE making clones of Chrono's friends to try and trick Robo and then they break out like all of FATE's attempts because it's a very stupid Robot God and then they die by....I dunno Glenn falls off a boat in his armor and Ayla dies from a cold because she's got no immune system.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

After using Fran for a good while with crossbows I can safely say: crossbows loving suck. Their accuracy is abysmal, she misses like 70% of the goddamn time. Unfortunately since her other job is Foebreaker, if she equips an axe/hammer (or bomb) she just does poo poo damage and it's just as bad as missing! I think Fran's just gonna stay on the bench for the rest of this playthrough.

I'm coming up on the Hunt Club quest and now I gotta figure out who to give the trophies to. Everyone seems to be big on 5/5/20 for Genji Gloves and Ribbon, but I dunno. I know it's the only way outside Trial Mode to get a second pair of Genji Gloves, and Ribbons are great, but I kind of want to go 10/10/10 for the Zodiac equipment. Especially since I don't have any desire to try and manipulate RNG for a Zodiac Spear in the mines (I don't even know if there's an RNG manipulation guide for the Switch anyway, I know that the original game had massively different charts for the RNG seeds depending on which PS2 model you had).

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've got Fran with crossbows myself and she's more accurate than Basch with Axes and with the right bolts is just loving over enemies with status effects.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

What does Old do and is it useful on any enemies? Whenever enemies hit me with it it didn't matter and I ignored it and killed everything anyway.

quote:

When Old is used on a player character, all of that character's stats, except their level, will gradually decrease to 1. When used on an enemy, that enemy's level and speed are gradually decreased to 1, which in turn affects that enemy's Magic Attack multiplier.

It's very good on things it can hit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mr. Locke posted:

Counterpoint: This Never Happens. If you get a group heavily of new people, it might cause a wipe once, then someone will explain the mechanic in Team/Alliance/Shout and the next time it'll clear. Usually someone explains it beforehand and if it doesn't clear first run, it's usually not to the death mechanic.

Like, I've run plenty of Castrum Lacus Licore in the last month to squeeze out a Resistance Weapon before expansion, which has one of the single hardest to coordinate versions of this in the game since it's two entirely separate fights that need to be beaten within a very short time of each other, and I've seen it fail once because of this mechanic- an entire group on the bottom floor was a bunch of friends doing their first even run and missed the calls in Shout to slow damage. It cleared the next attempt.

Theres one guild hest that needs it but no one every runs the last two guildhests so

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jokes posted:

I think Kimahri should have had blue magic as a normal command and Lancet is how you gather skills. His overdrive could have just been Hi-Jump

If you had access to all his blue magic all the time he'd still only be mid tier in FFX. That game has too many much better killers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's gonna be incredibly great when this meme gets life again when they eventually add Stormblood to the free trial.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

It's a misconception that Dragoons are dragon themed. They're actually dolphin themed. Amano just has a lot of trouble drawing dolphins. The name is a mistranslation.

You're wrong everyone knows dragons irl evolved into dolphins when air became too polluted from cooking fires of early humans.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You could skip 1 to 3 and not miss anything. drat near nothing about 2's gameplay ever showed up again in the main series.

This but the opposite. It's a weird and fun and unique take on the franchise that's a pretty quick play through so you should try it out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Switched.on posted:

One of the digital foundry guys said the FF7R pc port is one of the worst he’s ever seen and “humbly submits that no one should buy it” so if you were on the fence due to the EGS exclusivity it’s probably worth waiting.

That's not at all what any of them said lol.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vagrant story is the only ivalice game worth a drat and the only one with a narrative that doesn't poo poo its pants after the opening.

It's a bad setting and I'm glad it withers into a mudhole.

Sto making games in it, start the greater spira expanded universe. Give me a High Spira era game set before the war between Zanarkand and Bevelle.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

HD DAD posted:

This game knows exactly what it wants to be and I am loving it.

The last time I saw a game this loving sure of it's tone and style and not bending an inch was FFX-2 or maybe Godhand.

This is gonna rule.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I feel like VIIR probably has one of the steeper learning curves in a FF game? Quite a few combat mechanics are easily missed even if they give you a tutorial, and even then it's a very involved game.

Even in games like XII/XIII/XV your NPC buddies will usually be able to handle things eventually, but in VIIR you do have to take reins and swap often.

Which is fine, but it's probably not a 'I just want to shut my brain off and play some mash-y video games' option.

It's an action game compared to an RPG. It's only really comparable to Lightning's Return in the franchise.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I wish I could love the remake. I got to wall market and had to put it down and I never really picked it up again.

I don't love the battles and the game is SO loving SLOW. I completely understand that they had to pad out Midgar but Cloud moves around the fights and the slums like molasses, the party members don't do poo poo unless you're switching around to them all the time and it's way too on rails for my liking.

So you stayed in power stance and didn't like swapping characters all the time but the gameplay was too slow?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I know how to play the video game you pack of weiners.

It's a slow game. I don't care for the battle system and it didn't hold my interest. It's not a bad game but I just can't hang with it.

It's the opposite of slow though, is the thing. The constant swapping around characters and using abilities off c/d keeps you moving constantly and if you know what you're doing battles are over incredibly fast. Like on hard mode I was having issues keeping up with all 3 party members cooldowns while juggling attacks and spells and poo poo in some of the digital arena fights.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah the dodge roll is exclusively for getting in on enemies and using the deadly dodge attacks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Amppelix posted:

not really, there's plenty of enemies who do a generic "i'm going to explode in a radius around me now" attack that's perfect for rolling away from

not to mention the literally unbockable attacks

The dodge roll doesn't have iframes so you're just as well to walk away from that poo poo, or at the very least, be dodge rolling at your next target.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Basically just sit back and enjoy the excellent VA work. It's a top tier FF in that aspect and you'll get none of the cringy ahegao weeb grunts, squeeks, vocalizations and mannerisms that plagued FF7r.

Zedsbrainddead

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I think most FF games have at least one epic moment and plenty of standouts.

FF1: For me it would be the crossing of the bridge. Yeah it's early on but it cemented a sense of adventure that continued through the franchise from that point.
FF2: Lol, I'm back and I'm the Emperor of Hell.
FF3: Probably Aria's death? FF3 is one of the one with limited options.
FF4: This is the first one that has epic buttloads but I'd have to say the "everyone comes to help fight the Giant of Babel" is pretty top notch.
FF5: Gilgamesh showing up to help is pretty top notch.
FF6: The opera
FF7: Aerith's death is pretty high up there but the reveal of Cloud's true background is pretty insane.
FF8: Again a whole ton, but the "floating in space together" scene is probably one of the most memorable love moments in a FF game.
FF9: You Are Not Alone probably is the standout for me.
FFX: Controversial but I thought the ending hit effectively hard.
FFXII: This is actually a tough one since so many moments are more low-impact or subdued but Vayne making his big transformation feels at least pretty cool.
FFXIII: Probably the raceway fight.
XIII-2: Probably any of the time shenanigans.
LR: Stabbing god in the face so hard it creates France.
XIV: The end of MSQ Shadowbringers is an easy favorite here despite the game being filled with them.
XV: Honestly I'd say "waking up to the world of Ruin" was a moment that blew my loving mind even if it turned out to be a wet fart

And that is by no means an exhaustive list. FF is if nothing else good at making "oh gently caress" moments.

X has basically everything from the Ice Temple to Calm Lands. It's a nonstop rush of hit after hit after hit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I admit for me that doesn't hit as hard because it's kind of a blatant clone of Tellah vs Golbez.

They learned to do it with a character you could possibly care about though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

That wasn't my point. AI means you have no strategy of your own, you build a strategy around what you can't control.

If people wanted to whine about how FFXII 'played itself" because of commands you assigned, what is FFXIII where two of your three party members are actually beyond your control forever. It would absolutely be more interesting if you could assign what your characters do.

You are telling them what to do, through the paradigm/job assignments.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

People in these threads always say that sending Yuna down Auron's path on the sphere grid in FFX is a trip because the game's scaling for Yuna's strength stat is ridiculous. I finally tried it this time and welp Yuna is a monster lol. Physically, she does more damage than Tidus and all my aeons wipe the floor with everything.

Later bosses only let you have a summon out for 1 turn.

That's more than enough.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Good thread to ask - in the latest ff14 expansion the baldesion annex has a song that is a remix of FF5 music - what is it called and when does it play it’s driving me crazy

IT's Lenna's theme.

Or do you mean the FF14 song because that's just called "The Baldesion Annex"

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 2, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mustang posted:

The only thing I didn't like about the Yuffie DLC was all the stuff they brought in from Dirge of Cerberus at the very end. Aesthetically it just seems out of place with the rest of FF7, like they're from two very different games. I hope they leave that poo poo in the basement of Shinra and we don't have to see too much more of them in future remake games.

Theres DoC poo poo in the base game. Deepground referenced and all.

We're going to see more of them and it'll be good.

We might even see a hosed up angeal series that zack missed as a miniboss.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Xad posted:

what the gently caress

Nier As combat is also boring as poo poo so it's a fair comparison.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

Any apparent ease of FF5 is an internet phenomena put together on the back of it being one of the most fun FFs to talk about after action. That describes the fiesta too. It's actually really hard. Putting together a strategy for some of the merged world and void bosses is a huge moment of gameplay synthesis compared to every other FF and is required from any party you happen to put together. That the internet has an index of how to beat every boss with every class has nothing to do with the fact that the end game of FF5 require you to engage with your jobs and/or abilities in an exact manner. You're along for the ride and need to engage in a deep manner to have a chance against NED.

Uh huh uh huh, Yeah sure, sure. Totally. Totally true. Anyway I put !Summon on my whole party and pressed The Bahamut/Syldra/leviathan buttons over and over and get by

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mr. Locke posted:

And most people don't kill NeoExDeath as a lv 1 Frog Chemist but that was marked as a point in V's favor. Besides, people are real bad at voicing straightforward poo poo- XV's combat is bad (on Noctis and to a lesser extent Igniz) because it's weightless, heavy on context commands, and flanks you with three borderline-useless fuckers outside of said context commands at any given time, not because there's a lack of mechanical substance or skill or player expression. That's all there, and it lets you do some amazing poo poo that just isn't fun or satisfying to pull off because of the flaws with the base.

(XV is a better game if you just play as Gladio or Prompto but that wasn't even a thing for a while in XV and still isn't amazing)

It's bad because of both actually. It's weightless boring and you spend the majority of your time doing a very very small number of things to interact with combat at all because it's also incredibly simple and empty and what choices are there are marginal improvements o er one another.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

So wrt the FF7R Yuffie DLC ending, is there some context I'm missing from Crisis Core or something that has everyone saying the Zack scene is timeline bullshit? I don't see why he wouldn't just be in Midgar and going to see Aerith at some point before he died, especially because he still has the Buster Sword. I know the church is full of refugees but I don't really have any problem believing Shinra displaced a shitload of people more than once.

Nope all the context is from the game you just played. The base games ending shows he's in an alt reality or something give that the shinra dog is a completely different breed and he survives the big fight with the shinra death squad. In the original story line he dies there and a half comatose cloud takes the buster sword. Him walking around at all after that shows it's timeline bullshit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its going to own

It already does.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I am replaying LR and it is ridiculous how the combat system does what XV wanted to do but better. With the proper setup boss fight feel like an actual anime battle.

I feel like 15 was too afraid to be anything close to demanding for timing/action game inputs. LR you can do some bullshit with frame perfect guards/dodges/attacks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Zack is just that guy who was off-screen owned by Sephiroth in 3 seconds, never really meant that much to Aerith, and died to two Shinra mooks.

Never forget.

Crisis Core is canon and Aerith loved that guy. I'm sorry, Claerith fans. Seethe.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Xad posted:

Even in FF7 doesn't she say "He was the first guy I ever liked/loved" (in japanese at least, I think in the english translation she calls him her first boyfriend but that implies a lot more) so she deffo liked Zack, but uhhh it's entirely possible for somebody to like two people ZMB, Cloud loved Zack and she also comes to love Cloud before she dies :colbert: she's just confused as to what Cloud's whole deal is at first

What she likes in Cloud is the Zack bits he's taken on. When she leaves she even talks about how she wishes she had met Cloud. TO get to know Him and not the persona he's clearly bolted on. She didn't know the guy and knew it.

Of course 7R can go another way with this and has definitely set up a much more personable relationship between them but in the OG she was aware of how little she really understood him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the english script for the original game has johnny claim to be a childhood friend of tifa and cloud and he calls cloud a murderer for no reason in costa del sol lol.

Johnny is anti troop.