Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

Final Fantasy Megathread Mystic Quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd like a mod for the FF1 pixel remaster that just gives all the non-Chaos bosses more HP. It's got that problem where the bosses do have some dangerous attacks but they all die way too quickly to be a threat, like by the time you're done casting Haste on your attackers the boss is already dead. You could probably multiply boss HP by like 7 or maybe even 10 for the later ones and it'd feel good.

Chaos doesn't need that, though--one of the reasons he's actually a real fight in FF1 PR is that he has enough HP that you can't just burn him down before he can hurt you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Final Fantasy XII story stuff that I'm trying to refresh my memory on.

For some reason it never occurred to me to question why the statue containing the Dusk Shard in the palace at Rabanastre opens up automatically to reveal the stone to Vaan. Combined with Vaan also seeing the visions of Rasler that the Occuria show to Ashe, is it meant to be implied that he might also be descended from Raithwall?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I like them about equally, weirdly enough. I think the WotL translation has some great lines, but the retranslated names are often way overwrought, and so are some moments of dialogue. On the other hand, the original is often nonsense, but it does still have the line "Blame yourself or God!" and it has the cool spellcasting quotes, so they both have their charms.

It's possible I'm warmer towards the original translation than I otherwise would be because I've played it enough times since I was a kid that I can decipher what it's trying to say. Without that history I'd probably be a lot less generous to it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

On one hand, based purely on how historical conqueror steppe nomads tend to go its probably easier to identify who isn't related to Raithwall. The point of that scene is different though the full context isn't clear until later when Vaan puts it together. The occuria are just looking for someone who will use the shards to do terrible things to put history in motion the way the Occuria want. At that point both Vaan and Ashe are viable candidates. Soon, when Vaan rejects his revenge quest they'll stop appearing to him and he'll discuss that with Ashe at the Steppe village which is like, the single most important plot scene in the game and why Vaan is not just replaceable in the story like people claim

Ah, right right, it's been a while since I've played far enough to get to the latter parts of that. That makes sense. They're just looking for someone who wants revenge against the Empire, and anyone revenge-obsessed would do. Vaan's just in the right place, at the right time, and with the right mindset for them. But he grows past it much earlier than Ashe does.

Side note, I just got to Bur-Omisace in my Struggle for Freedom playthrough and it's still pretty fun, so seconding the recommendation in the OP to try it out if anyone here has the PC version.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 4, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

By the time of Tactics the Occuria are gone. So is most of the magick and just about all of the magitech, too, with the exception of the occasional rare firearm. Even moogles are extinct in Tactics (there are a lot of lore items you can find and one of them talks about moogles as an extinct species). The Ivalice of FFT is very much a "dark age" type setting, with the wonders of the past lost and the future uncertain.

IIRC Square has been very inconsistent on whether FFXII's Ivalice and Tactics's Ivalice are the same universe at all, incidentally. And that's not even counting whether Vagrant Story is in the Ivalice universe, something that Matsuno himself has gone back and forth on. I think the implication is that FFXII's Ivalice is far in the past of the one in Tactics, but there have been later implications that they're separate universes like the other FF games. Then again, maybe that's just Dissidia canon. Then again, it's not like there's any other source.

So I guess the Ivalice timeline is whatever you feel in your heart.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFTA and FFTA2 are kind of hilarious because they both feature a magic book taking kids to Ivalice, but one of them does it by manifesting a dreamworld, and the other one does it through actual apparent time travel. I remember FFTA making some people think that the Ivalice of Tactics and XII was only a storybook world in the first place, which was never the intention.

I bounced off FFTA2, unfortunately, even though I liked FFTA. Something about the way the equipment unlocking system worked with monster drops just got annoying to me so I couldn't really get into it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WotL feels like someone else was trying to do what Alexander O. Smith did with Vagrant Story, FFXII, and Tactics Ogre: LUCT but swinging too hard and ending up with something overwrought and not as successful.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 4, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Speaking of IX, has anyone played it with the Moguri Mod?
https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/home

Looks like they increased the details, added widescreen support, and increased the resolution using some AI upscaler.

The screenshots look great, but I'm not sure how it is overall from beginning to end.

Yeah, it's fantastic. I played through with the Moguri Mod graphical stuff last year and kept being surprised by just how great the upscaled backgrounds looked. I didn't use the widescreen option--it looked great on some screens, a little weird on others--though I think there was an update since that might've improved the widescreen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Are there any OST tracks off the Zodiac Age version that are substantially different from the originals, or is it pretty much entirely just cleaning it up? They didn't actually re-record the whole thing with an orchestra, did they?

Most of it is relatively subtle changes though there are some new elements added to tracks like the Esper boss theme that really stand out. There's also an entirely new boss theme for a few seemingly-arbitrary bosses in Zodiac Age.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a mod for FFXII that enables the holy grail Steal gambit (something like "Enemy: has item" or something)? I haven't set up a Steal gambit in my SFF playthrough yet just because I have felt like I need everyone actually fighting and not having someone totally devoted to constantly stealing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

Yeah, this mod pack has multiple options, but it allows you to enable smart stealing gambits. It's a huge quality of life change. It also lets you increase your chain level while still picking up loot, which I think is great, but I can understand how one might think it imbalances the in-game economy.

Hell yeah, definitely going to at least use the smart stealing gambits. That's something that really should've been in the game from the start.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've played FFXII enough times that I have paid my dues. Gimme the good Steal gambit!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feeling a little conflicted on my SFF job combinations. Mostly I'm trying to figure out if I really need a Red Mage and a Black Mage and if I should instead combine them onto one character (to create an uber-mage) and then build myself another physical DPS. Right now my only physical characters are a Machinist/Time Mage (guns are better in SFF but still not "comboing with a melee weapon" good), Knight/Bushi, and Monk/Foebreaker, and those last two are also my tanks so I'll likely need to prioritize defense over offense with them. If I combined Black Mage and Red Mage that would free up Archer and Uhlan (those characters' secondary jobs) so I could maybe do like Monk/Uhlan and Foebreaker/Archer instead--still a good Foebreaker tank, and now I also have a heavy armor Monk.

Any thoughts from people who've played further in SFF than I have? Would I regret not having Red Mage and Black Mage on separate characters (assuming I continue to use all 12 jobs with no repeats)?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Endwalker got delayed 2 weeks; general reaction I've seen online is "ok no big deal hope everyone on the team is ok!"

I'm trying to imagine if the latest WoW expansion had a 2 week delay :ohdear:

VVV was there a great wailing and gnashing of teeth or was the playerbase mostly OK with it

I know the overall reaction to it has been less than stellar

The reaction to the Shadowlands delay, IIRC, was similar to this one only with the added spice of a lot of players hoping for a delay. The thing with WoW is that it has public beta tests of patches and expansions, so players knew how unfinished Shadowlands was. The delay was expected and honestly hoped for, but you also still had a bunch of people who'd booked PTO and were really mad or disappointed that the delay was announced too late for them to reschedule.

Of course Shadowlands also turned out to be bad anyway, which I think players also kinda knew ahead of time because it was only like a month or so delayed and it really seemed like it needed more than that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Well the 'launcher trailer' has him doing a death flag monologue while the portraits of all the Scions except him appear on screen so uh

That's why I bet he's the character most likely to survive at this point. Let's not forget all the times we saw characters apparently get straight-up killed in trailers but they never actually died.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of the reasons I love FFIX so much is how much personality and character it has, from the world design and backgrounds to the NPCs and even their incidental dialogue. I know there's been discussion in this thread about the potential failures in worldbuilding in FFIX but I don't really care about those things because the areas we do visit feel so alive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I sincerely doubt anyone's trying to use Chrono Trigger of all things to shore up their weeb street cred or whatever. Chrono Trigger's just an exceptionally well-made game that stands the test of time. Of course it's fondly remembered.

Mega64 posted:

Or maybe they're just great games that stand out from other JRPGs of the era for a variety of good reasons. poo poo, many RPGs could still stand to learn some things from Chrono Trigger, that game basically nails its pacing.

This is why I think Chrono Trigger is probably the best game to use to introduce someone to JRPGs who's never played them before and wants to see what they're all about. Chrono Trigger is impeccably paced, has loads of personality, and just the right level of simplicity vs. interactivity in its combat. The lack of truly random battles is great, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chrono Trigger isn't, like, the pinnacle of the JRPG or anything, it's just a really well-made game with a lot of charm and a nice, breezy pace. It's a good, fun game. My saying that it's the game I'd recommend to someone new to JRPGs isn't because I think it's the absolute best the genre has to offer--it's just a game that's both fun and a good introduction.

Of course for reference I found I appreciated Chrono Trigger even more after playing I Am Setsuna. Setsuna was okay, but I replaced CT immediately afterwards and the sheer amount of personality it had in comparison to Setsuna really stuck out to me.

(also Chrono Cross is good)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

All the talk in the previous thread about the SFF mod has me replaying FFXII and oh man the analysis paralysis with the rebalanced jobs. Even with knowing I can respec for free at will I'm like making lists and job combos trying to figure out who should be what.

I'm about halfway through the main story now and I still have analysis paralysis :v:

The changes to what abilities the jobs have (and the rebalanced weapons and armor) basically threw a good amount of what I knew about character building in FFXII out the window. Knights don't care about getting White Robes anymore, for example, because White Robes no longer boost holy damage. Black magick is mostly single-target now, with the exception of Blizzard spells and high-end spells like Scathe, so Black Mages are no longer the "basically just delete every mob pack you see" nukes they are in TZA.

One thing I'd recommend is having a couple characters built to be tanks. I have Basch as a Knight/Bushi and Penelo as a Foebreaker/Monk acting as my tanks, with Decoy cast on them even during random exploration. It helps a lot with the higher enemy damage going around.

Also Machinist/Time Mage works pretty great as a combo. Machinist doesn't get Hastega with the rebalanced jobs so there's no "wasted" Hastega caster here. Instead he's just a really strong general support guy with reliable ranged damage.

The main thing I'm considering changing around is whether I want one more melee DPS character instead of two magical DPS characters. Right now I have Fran as an Archer/Red Mage and Ashe as a Black Mage/Uhlan, and I'm considering changing that to a Black Mage/Red Mage Fran and a Bushi/Uhlan Ashe (with Archer going to Basch to replace Bushi).'

What's kinda fun is that my advice in base TZA would be "don't overthink it, each job was designed to stand alone anyway, any two jobs is better than any one job" but in SFF, the jobs were actually rebalanced to not be quite complete on their own and have room to be improved or filled out by a secondary job. And the combat is challenging enough that it actually rewards some thinking about party roles and light optimization.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 9, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Respeccing in XII is welcome but a complete pain in the arse.

Really wish they'd implemented some way to buy multiple licenses at a time :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm leaning into Penelo's magic stats and am making her the Black Mage / Uhlan. The only combo I totally get as fine is the Machinist / Time Mage combo. Basch I thought I'd go Knight/Bushi with Ashe as the Monk/Foebreaker. Though I thought Knight/Bushi makes you overlap the two strongest weapons though? Or does that not really matter in the long run?

So that's sort of why I'm considering separating Knight and Bushi. It's a combo I love in TZA, but in SFF, I wonder if I might want a separate katana-user and greatsword-user.

One note is that greatswords are no longer one of the strongest DPS weapons in SFF, though. Greatswords can't combo in SFF, but they all have auto-buffs on them and some more evade. They're meant to be defensive weapons for the Knight rather than the ultimate shitwrecker DPS weapons. So in SFF, Knight/Bushi doesn't necessarily bring two of your best DPS weapon options together--it does, however, put one of the best DPS weapons on a character you might end up using more often as a tank.

Black Mage/Red Mage, meanwhile, is even better in SFF than in TZA, mostly because Warmage (the augment that refunds some MP based on magick damage dealt) is only available to Red Mage until very late in the game, when Black Mage can get it from an esper. Combining Black Mage and Red Mage means you get all the raw power of Black Mage with all the MP-efficiency of Red Mage, some white magick, even some good time magick, and a good backup melee option to boot.

Also worth noting is that you don't have to use all 12 jobs. You could have two Bushis or even two Black/Red Mages or anything like that and probably end up with a much stronger team than I have (I decided I wanted to use all 12 jobs just for the sake of it).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 9, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

It might have been a fever dream but didn't they release an updated version of FFXII recently? Got this urge to play it again.

Yeah, the Zodiac Age remaster, which is on PC, PS4, Xbox, and Switch.

What we're talking about here is a mod for the PC version of Zodiac Age called Struggle for Freedom which rebalances the whole game to be more challenging but also more strategic, and also fixes some of the previously-useless weapon types like axes/hammers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Now I'm not sure if I want to go all in on Penelo and make her BLM/RDM and figure out what to do with Fran as an Archer/? and how to split up Knight and Bushi. What about Knight/Monk and Bushi/Foebreaker? (or Knight/Foebreaker Bushi/Monk)

Knight/Monk would work pretty well in SFF. It's another of those combos I wouldn't do in TZA, but in SFF, Knight and Monk compete a lot for espers to get their white magick--if you put them on the same character, there's no more competition! Knight/Monk is probably the closest you can get to like a true Paladin build. Bushi/Foebreaker would work, too, because you get the heavy armor from Foebreaker to boost katana damage, and you can also go axe and shield to go tank mode if you want.

For Archer, I'd pick something with heavy armor, assuming you want to go all-in on bow damage. If you don't want to double up on jobs, that'd be Uhlan, which would probably work fairly well. Uhlan also gets some black and arcane magick in SFF (the mod tries to make it into something of a pseudo-Dark Knight job).

But yeah I'm unsure on how many attack mages I want, too. On the one hand, Archer/Red Mage has more ways to boost elements in SFF than it does in TZA because there are a couple of light armor pieces that boost water and thunder damage (as well as the Burning Bow to boost fire damage), and magick DPS is actually pretty good, especially if the enemy is weak to fire and you can hit them with Oil. On the other hand, at endgame, I'm pretty sure melee DPS will still pull ahead once combo rates start to skyrocket with the Genji Glove.

I will say that the job setup I've posted earlier in this thread has been working really well for me so far, though, so I'm probably just overthinking it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

Re: FF12/SFF, remember that samurai swords scale a bit based off magic so they’re good for mages so you don’t burn through all your MP

Yeah, if you were going to have a melee weapon for a mage, katanas and maces are a good call. Though it's worth noting that katanas scale with Strength noticeably more than Magick so if you're wanting to use a katana as a main weapon, you're better off with heavy armor than mystic.

Another option for conserving MP is the Shades of Black technick, which SFF gives to both Black and Red Mages. It casts a random black magick spell for no MP cost with an equal chance to be any spell. Around the time you first get it, and for a while afterwards, it's incredibly good. It's a lot of fun to watch your mage just randomly bust out a Scathe or Flare and wipe an enemy pack off the map. That's how I've been conserving MP for my Red and Black Mages until I got a Sage's Ring, which has been glued to Ashe's finger since I picked it up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shades of Black was in the original game, it just kinda sucked until IZJS/Zodiac Age. In the original PS2 version, Shades of Black had weighted probabilities and would much more likely cast a low-level spell. There was never any reason to use it at all. In IZJS (and therefore Zodiac Age), Shades of Black was changed to have an equal chance to cast any black magick spell, and suddenly became extremely good for the mid-game.

In Zodiac Age, Shades of Black is available to Foebreaker, Monk, Bushi, Shikari, Archer, and Uhlan--basically everyone except Knight and mages. As a result that meant that it was only really good on a Bushi, because Bushis could wear the mystic armor required to make Shades of Black do actual damage. But it was really good on Bushi.

SFF's change is that Shades of Black is now something mages get instead of melee characters, which is a buff both to mages (free spells in the mid-game, when your MP is hardest to manage) and indirectly to Shades of Black. It's pretty great.

SFF did add Shades of White, which casts a random white magick buff spell. It's interesting but I haven't found nearly as many uses for it as Shades of Black.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Coffee Jones posted:

Barret is the “Old man” of FF 7.

My favorite character age fact in all of Final Fantasy is that Auron, the guy who everyone treats as absolutely ancient and who looks like he's in his 50s, is 35.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Give me a Final Fantasy version of Yakuza: Like a Dragon, where most of the party is made up of middle-aged fuckups forming a new family for themselves and finding new meaning in life. (Yakuza LaD is really good.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That sounds like a fantastic premise for a game, I'd play the hell out of that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DourCricket posted:

In fairness to Auron - he's... had it rough those 35 years

I do appreciate the added lore weirdness there. Apparently you continue to age when you're Unsent? What would have happened if Maester Mika had continued to remain Unsent? How long until he was just a walking skeleton?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The job system is the best of them all I think. The rest all have at least one major flaw that makes them feel less good to use than they have the potential to. I still love all of the listed games and like parts, even big parts, of their ability-learning systems, but if you asked me which of those I'd want to come back in another mainline FF game, it'd be job system easily.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like I already know the answer is "no," but they haven't started adding controller support to the mobile Pixel Remasters, right?

I'd absolutely love to have these handheld but I really, really would rather not use touch controls.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really loved Bravely Default but for some reason bounced off of both Bravely Second and Bravely Default 2, not really sure exactly why. But I still love the first Bravely Default to this day.

jokes posted:

The best thing bravely default did was the black mage costumes in BD1 because I had been imagining black mages as Halloween witches for a long time so it fit perfectly

I also love the Red Mage costumes in BD1 and I keep wishing we could have some variant of that look in FFXIV.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I definitely don't think Bravely Default 2 is terrible or even bad, it just didn't click with me for some reason. I should go back and try it again sometime.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DourCricket posted:

But FF14 isn't a real Final Fantasy

:mods:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFX is the best turn-based FF

FFX-2 is the best version of the classic ATB system

FF7R is the best action FF and a very good way to translate ATB to action combat

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BrightWing posted:

What I wanna know is if 5PR is any good for the Job Fiesta or if its lame like the mibile port

Out of curiosity, what's lame about the mobile port aside from the awful graphics and UI? Were there mechanics changes?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On this topic, I'm sure a lot of people here have seen it, but Tim Rogers (of "very long and idiosyncratic video review" fame) did a series on the translation of the first disc of FF7 back when he worked at Kotaku. He compares the Japanese and English scripts and talks a lot about the different meanings and implications, and the choices made in localization.

This is part one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZefYEaNUJ7w

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bovis posted:

Got the pixel remasters ready so as long as the GTA collection on Switch doesn't distract me too hard (it will lol) is it all good to just start with the default set of characters in FF1? Not trying to minmax or anything just want to have a good time :D

I’d recommend having a White Mage in the pixel remaster but otherwise that’s a perfectly good party. There’s exactly one boss where having full group healing will be a huge help and only White Mage can provide that in any meaningful amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

In non FF5 PR news, I spent about half as much time in Chapter 11 of FF13 as I did the entire rest of the game up until that point and am unironically extremely looking forward to grinding out ultimate weapons and killing the superbosses :shepspends:

I did 100% of the superweapons and superbosses in FFXIII and honestly it was pretty fun. By the time you're at that point in the game, you've gotten to the point where the game starts actually being a good time to play, so you might as well enjoy it.

The last superboss in FFXIII is one of the most fun fights in the series, honestly. If you enjoy using the paradigm system really actively you'll have a blast.