Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wow every final fantasy is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

u forgot 7R

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

were battle academy animes popular before ff8? or was that a post-harry potter thing

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

limp bizkit rocks

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

source your quotes

limp bizkit rocks -me, right now

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i am going to create the ultimate final fantasy by taking an element from each mainline title

1. the brand
2. the ff mascot elements ie crystals chocobos cid
3. summons
4. multiple world maps to explore
5. job system
6. big cast of diverse and optional party members with their own stories
7. the cyberpunk-fantasy setting
8. gonna put music here, this feels like the point where uematsu was writing with the knowledge that the music would be orchestrated and have real vocals etc
9. gonna put story here, seems like an attempt to be the quintessential ff story
10. gonna put battle system here, this is like the peak of the turn-based combat. very hard to resist picking blitzball though
10-2. magical girl jpop power
11. player character customization!
12. gonna put blow-away cgi cutscenes here. funny to remember now how important the graphics of pre-rendered cutscenes were at the time, but this was the first game i played in 480p and the star wars aliens on parade and airships were awesome
13. gonna put character design here, this seems like when they first hit the sweet spot between design and technology where they could render and animate their designs to be actually cool and attractive
13-2. big sucker for having discrete locations you can visit at different points in time and see how the player has changed them
LR. big sucker for time constraints that compel actual player urgency/choice. sorry!
14. having essentially an infinite amount of varied content/side pursuits/minigames
15. the diversity of music - including all the previous ff music plus the gimmick of having guest composers for all the dlc, and also a significant global band covering a classic pop song
7r. just going to say 'the visuals' - between the world design, digital acting and graphical fidelity, among the best looking games ever

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

too much is never enough still randomly runs through my head sometimes

but yeah its also hard to find all the ff15 music lol. i was trying to find the prologue arrangement from the ignis dlc. square's like hey lets have 12 guest composers and each one will contribute 3 songs to the game plus 1 that self-destructs between versions

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bravely default

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/auuo/status/1464874485304094726?s=21

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should block all streaming

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

matoya with cat ear headphones

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1472688441389314048?s=21

interesting

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the aesthetic is great yeah

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1473145092944764929?s=21

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they just put up free seraphic earrings dlc on intergrade was this a preoder bonus or something

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thanks!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this is what i think of every time cait sith comes up lol. this woman went through the whole auditioning and acting and playing process and did a great job and then at the 11th hour its like, you do not yet fully understand what game youre in lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

stranger of paradise final fantasy legend

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nu-metal pokemon is just digimon

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

google search and mobile browsing disincentivizes websites being at all good or useful

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm not sure, would be interested to see what you discover.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im too bad at yuffie to beat the endboss

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it is pretty funny that the series who staked their claim on the importance of story was just like yeah whatever the gaijin will figure it out who cares. especially after the success of ff7

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i listened to a bunch of ff6 arrangements the other day and now i am fiending for 6pr whereas i probably would have not bothered to replay it before

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the new testament is an isekai

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I respectfully disagree

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i guess the caves leading up to the shell boss could be a little boring but even then i like the music. thats pretty much the only slow part of ff6 to me. the irenicus' dungeon of jrpgs. the opening is captivating to me and when they start doing party splitting and moogle RTSes i go wild. actually maybe the magitek research facility is a little bit of a slog but nothing that makes me shudder like the no metal cave in ff4 or that last zone in ffx

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

revisiting the locales you already went to with the split parties was so nifty. all the hidden passages in south figaro
and everyone making new friends so you then finally get everyone together and you have all these new dynamics to play off
also that sneaky little thing later where if you pick an undersized party you get shadow again
so sick

Schwartzcough posted:

Personally I think the assault on Narshe intro to 6 is a pretty brilliant framing device. It starts you off piloting mechs, which was pretty new and awesome for the time. You're controlling soldiers of an evil empire, stomping into a basically defenseless town to murder poo poo and take what you want, which is a great reversal of how most games frame things. The mechs are powerful, and provide resourceless offense and healing, which gives new players a chance to learn the menu-based gameplay without risk, while providing a realistic in-world explanation for why the stuff you're fighting is not a threat. Then the boss teaches you about the ATB gameplay in what has become the Standard First Boss for FF games. And after you've just stomped through all opposition with overwhelming force, the Esper totally chumps you without even needing to get out of its ice block, thereby setting the stakes for what you're dealing with. Empire = Powerful and bullying the rest of the world. Espers = even more powerful and mysterious. There, the setting for the world is all set up during a seamlessly integrated tutorial- now you're free to start your adventure.

drat good points

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm gonna get them all

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i never really played ff7 and it kicks rear end

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the ghost train theme rocks and is tonally perfect. some of you need jesus. also every plot beat in these games took 20% longer when they came out because you were a dumb kid and not a pro gamer

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all the final fantasy games are good, it's the posters what are bad

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are there any square events coming up or are they just gonna do a tweet out of the blue on it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ff15 is technically open world but it still does not come close to focusing on 'exploration' in the way like an elder scrolls game does

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

FFT should be a FF14 minigame

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Lord of Verminion Tactics

this is island sanctuary

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

blitzball is maybe literally a captain tsubasa soccer game

Super No Vacancy