Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh hey is this the thread where you get mad as hell about Nomura ruining the company?

Anyway, I have weird taste and very much enjoyed 2, 6 and both Tactics Advance games. I played the DS version of 4 and found it extremely hard and didn't really like FF1. If they could manage the time and effort to do another Remake on about a fifth the scale of 7, what's the game they'd want to take another crack at? I know people on here like 10 a lot but I don't know if SE has a real soft spot for like, 8 or 12 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augus posted:

whenever someone reads an article about Yosuke Matsuda their brain just autocorrects the name to Tetsuya Nomura

super-redguy posted:

Nomura's fate seems to be getting undeserved hate for things he wasn't responsible for.

Booky posted:

nomura gets So Much heat when im like, 90% sure all the stuff people complain about wrt to him is way more relevant to like, the execs at square

the last 10% are people who extremely Hate kh

If the reception to the ending of FF7 Remake soon after its release taught me anything, it's that SE is a company of 4 people. Yoko Taro makes Nier, Yoshi-P makes FF14, Toriyama's in charge of Dragon Quest and Nomura makes all the mistakes

Next you're gonna tell me that he sewed and stitched them together himself too! This is an incredible level of drip.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Of all games to get the FFVIIR treatment, I think I'd go with 5 or 8. On the one hand, they're two of my favorites and I think they're perfect as-is and so my initial reaction was "I would just enjoy fancy new graphics, no other changes". The more I think about it, though, between the weirdness of the Void and the dimensional split, or the timey-wimey antics of Compression and the Ellone engine, you could probably do something real weird with the stories that let them act like semi-sequels or gaiden games and that might be fun.

Harrow posted:

The more I think about it the more I think VIII would be my choice. Like I said in my other post, I don't really get the same feeling from it of like straining against its technical limitations that I do from VII, but at the same time, it has a lot of moments that I think would translate really well to a modern treatment. Even just the first couple discs have a bunch of really grand set pieces and cool missions that were really ambitious for the time and would be really cool to play out in an FFVIIR-style action-RPG. I'm thinking about things like the SeeD field exam, the switching train cars mission, the mission to assassinate Edea, and the Garden vs. Garden battle, stuff like that.

And then yeah they could probably go really nuts with Time Compression too.

Fair warning, I haven't actually played it myself because I heard that the PS4 remaster of FF8 wasn't kinda great, and I'm only remembering some things from Cool Ghost's LP of it from here- but I think that 8 would benefit the most- and not just because that means Square Enix would have to make a T-rex into an enemy I can fight multiple of or a boss fight, but it's a game where too much of the world building is off to the side in NPC chatter and the Garden emails and it'd be nice to get that stuff out of it and into the main character's mouths directly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you look at the pie chart for villain motivations 'bad dad' is like 18% of it by volume.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Celebrity Ghost posted:

In defense of Godo, Cloud left his village at 14 to join the Shinra army. So either FF7 world treats teenagers as far more mature than we do, or more likely it operates on anime ages and you need to tack on a few years to make any sense.

See Chris Redfield becoming an Air Force pilot at 17, Dante starting a business at 19 or Franziska von Karma becoming a prosecutor at 13.

None of this poo poo makes sense, it's Doogie Howser rules all day every day!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Imagine if Final Fantasy ever stooped so low as to steal themes, ideas, and plot points from Star Wars.

Yeah no villain has ever revealed themselves to be the protagonist's fath- aw poo poo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I do hope that 16 will have a Majima or Roche of their own. Someone high energy trying to get in your way. I'd prefer that to a Golbez juggernaut that just gets back up 2 minutes after you beat him and undermines your victory.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 15, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

From the way they were describing it I was expecting them to mean something like Indivisible. Something where ATB charges and then you can use a character to attack in sequence, I don't really have any good examples.

Edit: Oh, hey Grandia 3 kinda works

FrostyPox posted:

This Promyvion zone is cool, except for when I accidentally wander into level 125 mobs and they eat my face

Games with visible monsters that have ones far too strong for you to fight absolutely kick rear end.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 20, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Insane to learn anyone thinks Vivi acts like a 20 year old

I like to think Vivi's in his 70s and it took him a bit to actually be activated

Also he was dead the whole time

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DrPossum posted:

all cids are 32

I'm pretty sure the one in 4 is like 56 or something

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

square enix franchises ranked by their canonical proximity to ff

chocobo mystery dungeon etc
kingdom hearts
bravely default
mana
vagrant story
drakengard/nier
ogre battle
saga
dragon quest
the rest

How far up the list does SMRPG get to belong because of Culex?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FF14 is really loving this list up because do we now count Nier Automata, and the Witcher, Street Fighter, Resident Evil and DMC as linked to Final Fantasy because they've done a crossover between Monster Hunter and FF14 those things have also been in Monster Hunter?

If we do, I want a Sonic and MegaMan summon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhTcgpgsW4c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T11XQqnoP8

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This has been a fascinating look into people's experiences with FF6 because I consider it a point in the game's favor that it's Kirby story mode easy so you're free to pick any character you wanna use and not have to worry about perfect optimization at all times.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Put everyone in FF7R VR challenges. I don't care if you have 0 info on him like Sephiroth, I want to fight Gilgamesh again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I buy new armor after I've done a dungeon. They give you a bunch of free stuff in chests anyway, if I'm not 40 points behind the next set's attack or defense then I'm not that worried about getting pasted by the new area.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Procrastine posted:

I want to see a Final Fantasy game that builds on the Magicite and especially GF systems more and turns it into a sort of job system except instead of Knight/Thief/Black Mage/White Mage/etc your jobs are Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh/Unicorn/etc

I also want Final Fantasy with Stands. Or Personas if you'd rather call them that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm just being difficult for no reason. I want summons that're also characters and no I will not play FF14 or 15.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is currently 77.6% finished.

Supernova Remake is 23% finished.

Zero VGS posted:

Hrng?! Tsch.

Metal Gear?!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

to a large extent it's just how dialogue backchanneling works in a lot of Japanese media lol

If they'd been garnished with a few 'mm hmm' or 'uh huh's I'm sure these people who punch through their TV anytime 18 people start making not word sounds in a martial arts fight scene might've escaped getting a Darkest Dungeon affliction.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No Dignity posted:

The grunting is kinda weird and occasionally offputting, I don't get why why people are so quick to circle their wagons and insist it's completely normal for a man and a woman to have a 10 second conversation that's nothing but odd stilted noises

But also very fail mod post, if you wanna take sides and call people idiots you should hand in your badge imo

Well it's mainly that people use the most dogshit examples to support their arguments when they do decide to resurrect this conversation.

And yet even despite that this isn't nearly as bad as Kingdom Hearts' almost non-existent voice direction.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

if you feel so uncomfortable about a part of the game that you mod it out, why are you even playing it

You can't say that, the greatest mods in the universe are the ones that skip the Skyrim and Fallout 3 intros.

If people need to mod FF7Remake so everyone stays silent during combat and cutscenes like a Dark Souls protagonist or Kirby then who are we to judge?

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 8, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I want Chinese dubbed grunts for all of the combat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1567576126532497408

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Gau is just another type of blue magic. If you put a guy in a game as the one Blue Mage and he was channeling monster spirits by letting them possess him I'd be like "Yeah that makes sense."

Honestly it's a lot cooler than either normal berserker or blue mage concepts

Nu Mou in FFTA did that with the Morpher job. All of their weapons were monster souls and you got those from capturing monsters with Hunters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Actually, scratch that, just make Marche a Bangaa

Literally or only technically like Ritz?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

the main thing is that squall always liked her but hes a self-conscious grumpy teenage boy so he feels awkward about showing it. but the translation doesnt do a great job with squall (this has been mentioned a thousand times but all his 'whatevers' should be 'sorry') so he comes across more actively dismissive of her.

Oh my god. Yes, we definitely need a FF8 Reboot Camp now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

the main thing is that squall always liked her but hes a self-conscious grumpy teenage boy so he feels awkward about showing it. but the translation doesnt do a great job with squall (this has been mentioned a thousand times but all his 'whatevers' should be 'sorry') so he comes across more actively dismissive of her.

This has me wondering something now. I've never played an original version of an FF game aside from the Tactics sequels. I've played FF 1 & 2 on the GBA, 4 on the DS, 6 on the GBA and 9 on my PS4.

So I have no idea which ones originally had a less than perfect translation, my experience is pretty alright across the board. Which ones got fixed up the most in the re-releases?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, good to know, it's just FF7 and 8 that have the wonky translations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gigglefeimer posted:

She's from many generations in the future, of course she's going to sound strange to the party. Also, don't forget that Squall is a soldier and the game is from his POV. He's not interested in talking to his enemy. All he knows is that his mission is to kill the witch.

That's boring, have characters talk to each other.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bring back Gilgamesh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Man do I have some news for you about the next SoP dlc.

ImpAtom posted:

Literally the star of the next DLC in SoP

Well boy howdy, how about that?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can one of the opinions stab someone or at least punch someone in the liver, you're not going to win by talking it out, it's been made very clear already.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

So what I get from this is you didn't actually play Crisis Core or get the actual context of those lines or why they accompany Zack handing the Buster Sword over.

What I'm getting from this is that we should have a Final Fantasy game where all the dialogue is done at 1.8 speed like Speed Racer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Look I don't understand what a theme is just like any other guy, but even I know that you want your main character's last words to be something special.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

a theme is the song that plays when a character does something cool

Oh! Well in that case, themes are cool and I like them. Power Rangers is good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's a bell curve of stupidity that comes with age and believed intelligent where literal children can follow a narrative and theme and understand where the facade of gameplay has to bend and give way to narrative weight (As most of us did playing these for the first time) and then as we get older we start to try and out think the narrative by being Above it by refusing to engage with it's story telling and the trappings of the medium through which the story is brought to us. In doing this we basically rob it of any actual emotional connection and weight and essentially sever ourselves and our hearts entirely from Art as a concept, what it tries to do what it means to us and basically turn into living listicles spouting plot points and talking about plot holes but not actually understanding the piece on any real intellectual or emotional level. Which is exemplified in this topic by two posters who repeatedly reject basically the concept of narrative or subtext existing in general.

And we should purge that dark urge from our hearts and actually try to engage with narratives and art because that's where legitimately smart and interesting discussion comes from not from "Okay THIS bit of dissonance rends the whole thing pointless."

Yeah but what does 224 damage even look like when you only have 711 max health though? How come we never see any numbers popping up when people are playing sports? I wanna see people boxing and 1168 pop up when someone catches a hook to the face.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This bit isn't as funny when it's essentially Nik's post about "Clearly Tidus can take a gunshot to the face it only does 5% of his max HP why is he under threat in this cutscene!?".

poo poo, sorry about that, there were about five less posts when I had had hit quote on yours.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

amigolupus posted:

They better keep this sequence in the remake.

I just hope that he still summersaults before he flies out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I never played any of the 13 series myself, just watched let's plays of 13-2 and Lightning Returns, but I did like the gameplay of 13-2 way more. Sure it's easy but I don't think that's a crime for it to be so. 6 is a pretty easy game to breeze through and so is 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augus posted:

you never played it...but you liked its gameplay better? :psyduck:

Yeah, they both had demos at the time and I tried them. This isn't even the first time, I generally watch video game trailers and judge them from the combat there and decide if they look fun or not too, this isn't the first time I've done this. The game lets you tame and use Behemoths and tonberries how am I gonna hate that?!