Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WaltherFeng posted:

I mean, unless you can walk into a store and buy a PS5 at a suggested retail price, this delay has no consequence whatsoever.

I guess every day it's delayed is probably another day we have to wait for PS5 exclusivity to expire.

It sucks but it wasn't unexpected - and it's hard to be upset about a delay when we didn't know the release window to begin with. I do think it's a bit mad that WFH is still causing problems on this scale. I know it's something Japan has struggled with since the start but when most industries and countries have been working just as efficiently (in many cases even more efficiently) from home for a year now it's an odd contrast. Especially since Endwalker was only delayed by 2-3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

Cast Noel Fielding as Vincent for FF7R2 and just have him mope around being goth and sad the whole time

I mean sure but these days he's just a smiley guy with black hair.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vikar Jerome posted:

FFT is getting remastered for pc/console fyi, it was in the geforce leak and its meant to be out very soon

Eh it's possible that'll be the next project after FFVI is out but I'm not taking that leak as gospel since it also included Chrono Cross and FFIX which seem incredibly unlikely.

e: Also Tactics is boring as gently caress.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I play to contribute. Contribute to my fun.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jokes posted:

FF15 didn’t have anyone I wanted to marry, so it’s a bad game

What's stopping you from marrying the whole gang and living together in a big house?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mega64 posted:

SE made a Final Fantasy so good that no one is allowed to play it.

Jokes on them, I'm playing it right now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's FINAL FANTASY IX heroine Garnet’s birthday! How are you celebrating?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vichan posted:

It makes me regret selling my Switch, that's for drat sure.

They'll be in everything else though right?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know it would be much more trouble than it's worth, but a "lets make the game somewhat bearable to look at and play in TYOOL 2022" update for XI would be great. It's one of those games that I feel like I missed the boat on enjoying because it's so ludicrously dated now that I can't enjoy anything about it whenever I install it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's about time we had a Yakuza racing game tbqh

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

He'll save her but she'll die a different way later on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

kirbysuperstar posted:

neither of those things will happen, namaste

Activision Blizzard got bought - I'm not ruling anything out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Professor Beetus posted:

Thanks for the education on who Embracer is. I guess I don't have to worry about no more Tomb Raiders now, but I still have to be concerned about dumb NFT bullshit in SE games going forward. Ideally that idiot house of cards will crumble before they go too hard on implementation. Until I see some proof of concept from them I'm not going to worry too much, I don't really see how NFT poo poo can be integrated into story based JRPG titles unless it's just gacha but worse.

It'll be gacha but worse but it'll also either be wildly unsuccessful (like every other major attempt to get in on this scam in the game industry has been) or be cancelled before it actually happens because NFTs are already basically dead as a concept.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's shocking that otherwise successful and stable studios would be treated as quick cash, though

They've been treated with utter disdain for the past decade so it's not hugely surprising. Literally no level of blockbuster success was good enough for Square, and I hope in five years' time they realise how short sighted this decision was.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Healbot posted:

Dunno what you’ve been looking at, but those studios got axed because they consistently brought in the least money.

The Tomb Raider trilogy has sold like 30 million copies in total.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, which one was that? Bayonetta or something else?

Astral Chain. You awkwardly control a little EVA looking guy and beat up little EVA looking guys.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Game shirts are a million times better when it's not obvious that they're about a game at first glance. Just make a cool design that people who like Final Fantasy will appreciate on another level. Don't slap the loving game logo on it, I ain't wearing that in public.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ither posted:

I desperately hope that FF16 isn't just an action game where you control one dude with a sword.

It definitely 100% will be that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The PS4 is literally a decade old. I'd much rather wait for the PS5 to be available to buy or wait for a PC release than get a downgraded version.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I like to play the video game and have fun

Weird if true

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Epi Lepi posted:

Is it still that hard to get one? I got mine last year around this time without that much effort (followed a guy on twitter and turned on alerts on my phone). I thought I had heard it's easier now than it was then.

Most places that get them in stock only sell them in ridiculous bundles with £200 worth of shite third party peripherals.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mega64 posted:

Reception on the 13 series is that 13 has solid gameplay but a pretty meh story, 13-2 is pretty mixed since the story embraces its own stupidity and it opens up the gameplay more but has bad balance as a result, and LR is the best of the bunch since it's had two games to refine the gameplay and a story with actual structure.

I don't remember any gameplay in 13.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gaius is a monster but he helped us fight some really cool mechs so who can say if he's good or bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

And the game's response is pretty much "Good, that's the absolutely bare minimum you should be doing. You aren't redeemed, but this is good."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm seeing a lot of complaining about the battle system but I'm long since resigned to the fact that they're going with action-based combat from here on out. At least now the action seems to be competent, which will be a nice change.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

Yeah I've been expecting the series to go in a full-action direction ever since like FFXIII, I'm just a little bummed that there's no party. FF7R showed that they could have an action combat system and still have multiple party members you can switch between so I was hoping we'd get something like that (or an even better version) in XVI.

That said the whole combat system being about channeling classic FF summons and DMC style switching between them to chain together sick combos looks really fun. I'm slightly disappointed that you'll only play as Clive but I do think the combat looks really rad.

I mean I guess it's possible that they're still holding other playable party members back for future trailers (since they really showed nothing about the plot here beyond some empire/war soundbites) but yeah, it is a shame.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Schwartzcough posted:

Did people complain this much when Lightning Returns just had Lightning as the protagonist? "God, I'm so sick of them making Final Fantasy a vagina party. First FFX-2 and now this. All the FF games forever are now just only about women and I hate it."

Not really the same is it when the only two all-female games are sequels that released with little fanfare and were largely ignored in the mainstream.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Schwartzcough posted:

Dudes:
Thancred
Papalymo
Urianger

Ladies:
Minfilia
Y'shtola
Yda
Alisaie
Krile

WHOOPS, three to five.

What are Alphinaud and G'raha? Chopped liver?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So the website's character page only lists five characters as of today's update (Clive, Josh and Jill from the first trailer, and Titan and Garuda's dominants), and doesn't include all the Empire people, various politicians and important looking military people in the trailers.

So maybe these five are important enough to get space on the website because they're all playable in some way? Idk, maybe a reach but it's possible.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jetrauben posted:

I hope so. But how are you seeing those? I've been trying to reload and it's not showing up?

https://na.finalfantasyxvi.com/character/ It's working just fine for me. :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Augus posted:

I doubt they're gonna be playable because the combat for Clive looks really fleshed out with a bunch of different movesets you can swap between on the fly.
they're definitely gonna be story important tho

I guess but DMC5 had three extremely fleshed out playable characters with distinct combat styles so it's not like there's no precedent.

I just wanna play as the Garuda lady.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Did it fare better in Japan? I imagine the whole idol thing would've gone over well there even if the west wasn't ready for it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Honestly I don't think it'll be as combo heavy as something like DMC. It's still a Final Fantasy game, combat will still be largely dictated by RPG systems and cool spells.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

leftist heap posted:

It's pretty funny that the data log in FF13 was so hated and then FF15 came out and desperately needed one

I don't think 15 needed a datalog, it just needed to show the actual story in the game and not relegate the first act to a film that no one watched.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don’t say mean things like this about those two. Mistwalker hasn’t made anything noteworthy for a decade. Fantasias seems ok but nothing to write home about.

It's a bummer too because if they built off of what Lost Odyssey did right they'd probably be one of the best JRPG studios around today.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

While a reveal, official title and a little bit of footage would be great, I really want some real details like:

- Whether they're attempting any sort of open world or if there'll be some other way to transition between locations.
- Whether there'll be more of a party function this time around since we'll likely have met all of the characters by the end of part 2.
- Whether they're going to try to reinvent combat and progression between games (I bloody hope not because the first one nailed it).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A Sometimes Food posted:

If they do open world at all they better bring back FF15 fishing, cooking and camping.

Who's going to be coming up with new recipes though? Cid?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/Nymphomachy/status/1535395392069566464?t=BPrFyilkL-m5nPkp-7Yheg&s=19

This person is doing the lord's work.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NikkolasKing posted:

All that's actually happeing as Liber Fatali's chorus blasts your ears is two teenagers slapfighting during their final exam.

Hey Squall had to go to hospital for that cut on his nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's another Square game on the Nvidia list confirmed then. The last ones are FF9 FFT and Tomb Raider (presumably cancelled since they sold the god drat studio).