Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ff6 gba (probably with the color and music patches too) is the best way to play it but i get the feeling that the PR will give the best of both worlds with both the updated tl and also redone music and stuff

everyone always asks where ff7 pixel version is, but no one asks about 8 or 9... smh my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

sometimes memes are alright, especially if it fits the tone of the game or if the og text also had silly injokes

iirc the ds 4 TL (by slattery?) is considered real good too

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're not just helping the world move on is the thing. That's not what the message about X OR X-2 Was! It's about how the covering up the sins of the past and the constant sacrifice of life (Willing and not) has lead the world into a spiral of death and destruction that it cannot break free from. Moving on doesn't work to fix it. Nooj/Gippal/Ber's whole plan was to kill themselves to help the world move on and Yuna looks them dead in the idea and tells them that plan sucks. It's about actually fixing the mistakes of the past, it's why X-2's 100% has you going across spira, righting wrongs both recent and ancient, stopping the sacrifice and death and destruction that came with them. The ending is the world recognizing all this and in turn putting right the seemingly pointless sacrifice in Yuna's life. Tidus clearly knew what he did was selfish, he says so himself, he kept this all to himself because he knew they would hunt down another way to defeat Sin and he didn't think they had the time. Which is exactly what the Crimson squad's plan was to Beat the new rage ghost. You don't just seal away all those great evils and dark history, you go down there and loving deal with it and put everything right.

:yeah:

plus x-2s best endy is basically yuna getting a cool reward, which owns (also afaik they show part of it at the end of x anyways)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

not mine either

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ff7s final seph confrontation owns, also so does galuf vs exdeath and uhh the opera

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

clouds real messed up but honestly he just gave me big 2cool4school/mentally ill young adult (later on) vibes when i was playing 7, didn't really think he was secretly a teen

now fei i think that guys got some Issues

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1477119032771821570

lol

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i thhhinkkk i let em go cause they're not really into fighting by that point anyways?? its been like a While tho

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i don't really think they pulled back with og 7 barret, iirc the scene with him and cait sith in disc 2 is basically just cait going "you killed a lotta people with that bombing" and barret goes "i was doing it before cause i wanted revenge, but now im working to ensure a better future for marlene" or smth like that??

i hope 7r keeps the turks goofing off

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

imo wutai being a active angry political force is a neat twist on the original 7's being a demoralized bummed out tourist trap

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like you lost that when your level 7 protagonists punched the President in the face in the first 4 hours of the game.

It's both! The Wutai forces are not like an organized army. Wutai is running under a puppet government and they're just rebels. Which makes more sense than "Literally one 16 year old girl is the only one fighting Shinra."

ah really? thats cool, kinda reminds me of ff2 or smth

man i wish 7r could go on the switch even tho i think thats impossible

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

aren't u intended to 100% x-2 over 2 runs anyways? its prob a bad idea to do it w/o NG+

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i think the snes tl of ff6 has several errors and limited space compared to the gba-onwards retl, fwiw? never played the snes ver but i feel like the gba ver has more like, lines or smth???

hmm this discussion is making me want to play gba 6 again with the sound patch

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

look maduin can think of no better fate than helping his daughters friends not die

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i think its cool galuf gets punched by high tier spells like 4 times and the battle keeps on going at 0 hp

that Owns

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Bongo Bill posted:

Check out the Final Fantasy VI translation comparison, which looks at the differences between the SNES and GBA scripts (with a fan translation and Google Translate for additional context). Short version is the GBA version is better than the SNES version from a literary perspective and much more accurate to boot.

Last Celebration posted:

I always wonder why people find the GBA script to be dull, like I GUESS some of the wackier lines are gone but looking at comparison stuff a lot of the more flavorful SNES stuff didn’t really fit in context that well, like “he’d slit his mama’s throat for a nickel” coming out of Edgar just sounds weird even ignoring the must better line in the GBA version.

:yeah: the gba 6 tl keeps like 95% of the iconic snes lines, i never got why people said its boring??

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

all i know about the psx tl of fft is Little Money, the 2 pretty killer lines people quote, and then this line that comes off like the translator was falling asleep midway through

it seems like the psp ver is more flowery but at least understandable

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

this tl discussion reminded me of a old thread on some site i saw quite a few years ago (i think the thread was from like 2000??) that went over the snes tl for ff6 and the details that were missing and such... im sure the posters there were pretty happy with the gba tl :)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

should i buy ff6 pr.........

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

kh and nomura own

what doesn't own is people constantly acting like nomuras some heinous criminal mastermind wanting to destroy square forever by writing or w/e

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember that it was the other people on FF7 that wanted the whole party to get murked and nomura was like "maybe just one"

aw yeah i heard that too, it sounds extremely funny (something about a lategame dungeon and the rest of the party that wasn't chosed would have all gotten murked?) but also im glad nomura had them go with Just One

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im rooting for jack and his buds

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i guess this is only tangentially ff related but i saw this about the chrono cross remaster earlier wrt framerate stuff and 😔 https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1512793185575129092

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

getting 100% in x-2 without a ng+ sounds like a great recipe for a bad time

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ff7r2 will abruptly become a ff6 prequel, and locke becomes the leader

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

Anybody but Locke please

gogo

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Alxprit posted:

Here's a thing about localization - sometimes they just completely upend the "if it's wrong, we'll fix it" thing. Let's look at Final Fantasy IV. When you fight the Dark Elf, you are able to beat it with the power of, in the original English Translation, Edward's "Twin Harp", which resonates the special song from his harp to yours, allegedly. It turns out in modern translations that this is an entirely different thing called Whisperweed, which is a plant that acts like a walkie-talkie. Modern translations of FF4 use Whisperweed, notably the 3D version of the game, which even has a developer room that calls out such errors in the original script (while admitting that they were okay with the spoony bard stuff).

Enter the Pixel Remaster, which for no apparent reason, calls the item the Twin Harp again. Why? The only logic I can find in this is that it's, like the entire point of the pixel remaster, an attempt at cashing in on the nostalgia of previous players of the game in the olden days. And I think this is stupid. Whisperweed appears in other games in the series like V, and even in the game's own sequel The After Years where Edward places it inconspicuously amongst a pot of other plants to listen in on a conversation. Could he throw a Harp into that pot? Would it even make sense as a way to hear a distant conversation? Wouldn't it just play the notes of its sister harp and nothing more?

There are other examples of this, like the reversal of the overall terminology in Secret of Mana to line up with the original translation "out of respect for Woolsey" or something, which has carried forward to the Trials of Mana new translation and remake. Overall localization is a really strange and muddy process and I think it's important to keep in mind all kinds of perspectives on it. I hate the nostalgia ploys that Square's been doing lately, and it's very random what things they will or won't change at times. I would have wholly expected Ultima Weapon to be Atma Weapon in 6PR, for instance, but someone said that it was Ultima. I wonder if names like Tritoch, Starlet, or Terrato reappear at all.

iirc the PR ver of 4 just uses the tl from the psp/gba ver of 4 and not the ds tl

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

whoops i forgot to clarify that the old psp/gba tls of ff4 translate edwards plant walkie talkie as twin harp and not the ds tl, and the psp/gba tl is what the pr tl uses

same with ff5 and 6 where iirc the PR tls are just the gba tls with a few tweaks

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Dinglberry

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i always associate "clive" with the dude from fe gaiden/echoes

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

dang i thought he was like

clark

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Zack the Warrior
Robin the Thief
Morgan the White Mage
Vivi the Black Mage

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wasn't it ff8 where the translators had to tl the whole game using a gameshark?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

its aerith

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i think cait should get a gun

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

isn't the context about the blitzball bomb scene also that tidus got horny or whatever before he exploded (:rip:)

and hell i like how 10-2 can bring tidus back, as yuna said herself "your plan [death] sucks"

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

nomura gets So Much heat when im like, 90% sure all the stuff people complain about wrt to him is way more relevant to like, the execs at square

the last 10% are people who extremely Hate kh

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Augus posted:

whenever someone reads an article about Yosuke Matsuda their brain just autocorrects the name to Tetsuya Nomura

nomura has had a wizard's curse placed on him for a good 21 years now 😔

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

super-redguy posted:

A wizard's curse, and every single job under the sun.

If you look at Nomura's career it's like they didn't let him take a single break.

god yea that too wasn't he nonstop on projects for like, 10 years straight in the 00s-10s??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

nomura is fated to take on all the sins of square enix by himself, much like Jesus Christ (maybe)

but man if i had to do even a quarter of all the stuff the execs dumped on him back 10 years ago i probably would have collapsed