Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

ok we’ve had leona lewis, florence and the machine and sia, what possibly british woman are they gonna have for ff16 and what should she cover

the cheeky girls (technically romanian but they're british cultural icons so we're claiming 'em)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gologle posted:

Jack...maybe...I'm tired of killing Chaos

bullshit

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can turn off exp gain, and presumably Gil/ability points in the new PR releases. Real good for challenge runs. Gonna do an Edward only no anything run

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

for my tastes, Square-Enix have let their best composers and artists fly the nest.

Not including Koichi Sugiyama, who left S-E 'cos he died like the lil' homophobic racist bitch he is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

did anyone ever figure out who is captain basch fon ronsenberg of dalmasca

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'm receiving conflicting stories here unless snow cone capone is vaan?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

YoshiP finally got to make the "Matsuno, I love you" game he became a game dev to do and it looks awesome.

My only concern is that I can't play it day 1, minute 1. I'm on honeymoon that day

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

stev posted:

It releases on my wedding anniversary. :v: welp

Same!!! (We're poor and have a lot on, we delayed the honeymoon)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Babylon's Fall has entered the chat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Overbite posted:

The eikon fights look kinda lame imo and I’m kinda worried with how heavy they are promoting that part of the game.

they're not trying to market this game to someone who posts in a thread called Final Fantasy Megathread: I'm loving stupid and just want to play Final Fantasy on a dead comedy forum from like 1999

they're marketing this game to someone who barely even knows the game exists and sees flashing lights and a fire dog trying to beat up a giant snake thingy and think bro wtf that's awesome.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Am I the only one who watched the State of Play on my TV and thought the game has the smallest text size I’ve seen in a game in a long time? For all they go on about accessibility, they miss one of the most important options you can have. I can certainly read the text, but it’s not enjoyable when having to do an eye exam every time I want to read the next quest description or lore dump.

In some preview article they mentioned that the settings have a subtitle size and background option, but if it doesn’t cover the rest of the UI, it’s still a slap in the face. How are developers still letting this happen?

Outside of diversity, accessibility is YoshiP's biggest blind spot as a developer/producer by a mile.

The accessibility options in FF14 are dog poo poo and some of the improvements he's put in are pitiful. Simple Tweaks alone (plugin mod for FF14 for the uninformed) has options that are infinitely better for accessibility than the improvements they've made.
He's always reactive, not predictive to accessibility asks and the solutions are never up to snuff.

i mean seriously orange objective markers on a beigey orange map wtf

drat straight

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

wizard2 posted:

all Final Fantasy discussion boils down to "bro wtf that's awesome" except maybe the discussion of "bro wtf there is one most awesome Final Fantasy and it's Final Fantasy 8"

well yeah but they're trying to get new people to accept that the best FF is 13, rather than people who already discuss it and agree.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

So how's the font on the console PR ports?

You need to swap to it on boot (at least on 6) on Switch original (Not OLED), but it's a lot better than the OG, quite small and probably hard to read on a Switch lite.
I would say that almost any mod on PC is better though overall.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh... kinda sucks. I really wanna play FF3 but I'd prefer it portable.

Bit of a reach this tbh but maybe try full screening a YouTube video of someone playing it on switch on the YT app? It might show what it's like scale wise for actually playing on a lite if that's what you have.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If trees could do that IRL they'd definitely be loving us up nowadays

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like that you customise Steiner's last name, not his first name.
High comedy potential.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

what can i do for you?

what can i do for you?

i can't hear you

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

not getting the zodiac spear in ff12 og is also a skill issue

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i cant wait to pet our friend torgal

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

triple sulk posted:

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1665705101196136448

???

I have to assume it's just all the main cutscenes put into a video or something

I'm loving these tweets. The art of saying nothing. (Other than this one which does so bad example but yesterdays was a belter)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In my heart of the cards, I would have preferred the remakes to be straight remakes of the game but it turns out that my copies of the original ff7 did NOT vanish completely when the remake came out so it turns out I can play the original so go hog wild with the remakes. At least it gives me delusions of grandeur when I sit back and think "well, I wouldn't have done that so I clearly know better than the people who made the original game as well as this one".

There's a lot of poo poo padding in 7R1 that gives it a bit of an Hobbit trilogy pacing feel but it also looks like 7R2 is going to cover quite a significant chunk in comparison to the first so I think the pacing's gonna be a lot better. They didn't need to turn the first 5th? (less?) into a 30 hour game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

There isn't really one until the end of Disc 1

Fighting Jenova on the boat from Junon, approaching a new continent etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stranger of Paradise is the canon FF1, ergo therefore FF1 is the best FF

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The pacing in 7R ranged from good to utterly abysmal, 7R2 should fix that by sheer virtue of having enough unique content to fill its run time without needing to drag one tenth of the game out to a third.

I'm much more hopeful for 7R2 than 7R1.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

there should be a segment where you can customise your segway with as much detail as gta v at the minimum

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The strongest argument that DLC shouldn't be a thing

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

star wars was hosed the second the toys started selling like lightning (so like four seconds after the first one came out) but the franchise gave us revenge of the sith so it's all in all good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I like Final Fantasy.

Lightning is the best, I agree.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cruising in the Regalia is pretty amazing, definitely best bit of the game.

Cruising in the Regalia with Jared and Kiryu Kazuma would make it the GOAT.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's probably true in that the brief was probably "Sakaguchi* wants you make another game much like TO but with the FF licence" but probably not true in a "FFT was an Ogre Battle game at any point in its conception" sense.

*It's known that Sakaguchi had been thinking of a tactical FF game since 93.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

masters of teras kasi is better than any star wars product disney has released, put some respect on it

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 6, 2024

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To me, it's not much of a coincidence that the characters in FF7 Remake series who play best are the ones who play more like straight laced character action games. Tifa my beloved
Every character would be improved in this series by blocking having a animation cancel for your attacks and taking any attack isn't a grab.
I really wish the AI would stop Cait Sith getting off the moogle as well!!! That extra moment where you swap to him and have to get back on is both not long at all and feels like an eternity.

Clive Finalfantasy might have significantly less tools to his disposal at any given time than a FF7R character, never mind including swapping between the party members you can do in the Remake series, but at his core, he's incredibly better feeling to play as than any individual FF7 R character.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think it's gonna have it because they'd probably have announced it at the PAX thing for this patch, but I want them to include a Final Fantasy difficulty choice for new game in FF16, rather than it being just a NG+ choice.

If it's difficult to the point of broken, fine. I'm okay with that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The final boss of the first 16 DLC is extremely good and cool.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

C'mon.

Mog is now the head of the Moogles and looks identical except he has a tiny mustache.
Sabin has a giant fuckoff beard and lives with bears in the mountains.
Setzer has gotten, ugh, respectable and makes his living doing transport duties and is secretly thrilled when something new and dangerous starts up.
Cid tragically died between games but Edgar hired a young engineer named Mid.
The whole Ziekfried/Seigfried thing becomes a sidequest that leads to a Gilgamesh plot.
You go on an adventure on the Phantom Train and team up with Ghost Shadow who has Ghost Interceptor.

Gogo took off their outfit to reveal an identical outfit underneath

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I finished the Junon Fort Condor quests and it said to try hard mode. So I did.

Is this even possible? If so, how? Are there buffs or something you can get later? IDGI.

I don't know if the toggle version of difficulty on the mission is same as changing the overall game to easy was at launch, but if it is, the hard mode challenges on easy are significantly easier than the normal mode challenges on default difficulty. Basically you can just catapult the main objective and ez win on easy

GodspeedYou!Witchy posted:

I really appreciate games like FF6 and Chrono Trigger being super easy. FFR hard mode was super fun and challenging at times and doing different challenge runs of the FFs is fun but man I love that there’s games in the series I can breeze through every year or so. One of my favorite things gaming wise honestly.

Chrono Trigger is genuinely perfect in every way, the right amount of difficulty, the perfect length, everything else too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't mind MAI that much, she only really pipes up when you're at one activity and you have the option to stop her repeating the info if you re-fight the challenge
Chadley pops up too much with boring poo poo. I know I scanned the first shrine for the summon, Chadley. I was there and it was 10 seconds ago. gently caress off.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yeah, he's not weak by any means. He's just not quite on the level of Borderline Comedy Physics Shantotto or whatnot.

The 'strongest' FF protagonist at the moment is probably Clive who is both an absolute shitwrecker in human form and can pull out Ifrit and its various upgrades, but I feel like being able to turn into an incarnate god who can fly in space is probably a bit unfair.

If all of the protagonists were bound by the rules of their own game when doing a big rear end fight, then they'd have to be also subject to the rules of others games on their turns to make the concept work. Clive would absolutely annihilate every other protagonist because he's not bound by charges or ATB but any protagonist who has a first strike/guaranteed pre-emptive attack ability and throw gil attack equipped, because it will one shot him. It'd freeze time and they chuck a bag of coins at him. Clive is going to cap out at around 6200 HP at final max level, well under almost all damage caps and he will die as it won't miss or be mitigated. RIP Clive, my glass cannon friend.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 15, 2024

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cleretic posted:

If we're talking gameplay-level detail, I'm gonna need to hear a real good explanation why Bartz doesn't win this by default just through FFV's power curve being absolutely bonkers.

As I've put it when this argument's come up elsewhere, when the PSP Dissidias gave a character an EX Burst, most heroes got their limit breaks or equivalents, and most villains got signature spells from their biggest boss fight. But Bartz just got a regular FFV ability combo, that he can do every turn, for very nearly no cost. Hell, I'm pretty sure to big FFV fans it's not even the best combo; it's Spellblade-Dual Wield-Rapid Fire, which I think is generally considered a bit high-overhead in terms of job investment.

He loses because Square are cowards and won't give him his true name.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TheHoosier posted:

I mean, if we are talking individual character power then it's gotta be Lightning, right? By the end of Lightning Returns she's hilariously powerful. She can slow time to a crawl on demand, multiple times, and just effortlessly batter whomever. She can bust down all of their defenses, poison them, and just Artemis Arrow them over and over and over again before they've had a chance to blink a second time. She kills God by herself.

She also convinced her creator to make her a trilogy despite the first game being utterly hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not by me, 13 is the most peak of all human creations.