Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

My problem with Gaia is how barren and empty it is outside of the Mist Continent.

You can make this point about FF7 and 8 too though. FF7 has a giant sprawling metropolis in Midgar and then outside of that there's just Junon, the Gold Saucer, and then a bunch of tiny villages. You go to the Wutai continent twice in the entire game, once for Yuffie's sidequest and once to get Mime. FF8 has the same problem where there's one continent that only has Esthar and one continent that has Trabia Garden and the Shumi Village as the only settlements on them. There's the continent with Edea's Orphanage where I think Cid and Edea are the only people living on it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

But it's simply the value of diversity, of going to different places and seeing different stuff. It makes the world feel more interesting and inhabited, IMO.

I think it's fine that most of the major locations in the game are on the Mist Continent since the story is basically that the world of FF9 has been engineered from the beginning to create conflict as resource-hungry kingdoms strain against each others' borders. FF9's world doesn't make as much "sense" as FF7 or 8's in terms of coming across as a place that might believably exist, but imo it doesn't need to any more than the S/NES games it's inspired by needed to. You get Conde Petie, the Black Mage Village, and Madain Sari on the Outer Continent, and the forlorn desolation and ruins of the Forgotten Continent. Esto Gaza and Daguerreo do feel a little awkwardly socketed in - they're both very cool but you barely spend any time there and they're kind of just in the middle of nowhere. However, I think overall 9's world maintains a good sense of adventure from start to finish, and the tone of the story it's telling means that imo having a fanciful world fits better than trying to answer what the local economy is balanced around for every town you design.

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I can't find it off the top of my head but Matsuno tweeted about it. His twitter is basically just a trivia/lore dump for things he never put into games.

i hated this immediately but the more i thought about it the more i realized this would be an amazing sequel hook for a game that will never be made

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm coming up on Gran Pulse in FF13, which is where I stopped the first time I played it. How are you supposed to interact with the hunts there? I know there's more story sections after it. Are you supposed to do the story up until the final dungeon and then come back to Gran Pulse to do the side quests?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

zedprime posted:

There is basically a breadcrumb trail of cieth stones you should do on your way to Oerba to get experience and unlock teleporting cieth stones. When you first start they are basically the only open cieth stones and they will lead you around the map pretty linearly. What should be considered optional cieth stones don't start unlocking until IIRC you get the Pulse teleporter, at which point you move forward doing the next maps cieth stones instead of turning back around into pulse and getting wrecked by end game cieth stones.

You can then teleport back from Oerba to Pulse to do the optional cieth stones for fun, gear, and exp. I don't think the end game cieth stones unlock until you beat the end boss.

Thank you gamer.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Fine I'll be the one to say that I don't care for XIII's soundtrack much at all. There's a few neat tracks and I do like that a couple songs try some outside-the-box compositions, but most of it is pretty schmaltzy and sounds like something that would be in the song rotation at your nearest Starbucks. There's also a lot of vaguely martial filler music that is entirely forgettable.

I hated the soundtrack as much of the rest of the game when I first played it but I guess my tastes have shifted because going through it now I like the atmospheric house music a lot of areas have for their bgm in the earlygame. Dust to Dust was also linked upthread and that track is really, really good, as is Lightning's theme wherever it gets used. I actually like the soundtrack a quite a bit now.

Alxprit posted:

It's called Triangle Strategy

I will get this when it is ported in 2023

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Moguri made my game crash in the ending cut scene and I had to uninstall it to watch the ending but other than that it was just straight up an overwhelmingly superior way to play FF9

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Givin posted:

So how hard does FFVPR Clash on the Big Bridge slap? I've got an hour before I can get home and hear it.

Someone already posted it on youtube and it's basically the 16-bit original done with pure brass and guitar going hard as a motherfucker

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

In non FF5 PR news, I spent about half as much time in Chapter 11 of FF13 as I did the entire rest of the game up until that point and am unironically extremely looking forward to grinding out ultimate weapons and killing the superbosses :shepspends:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FFT isn't hard, warty, or grindy at all. You can easily beat the game just by playing through the story normally. Just keep a balanced party with tanky dudes like Knights and Lancers, healers like Chemists and White Mages, ranged attackers like Archers and Black Mages, and support units like Time Mages and Mystics. The only One Weird Trick / bad game design thing you need to know is to get all your dudes Gained JP Up from Squire

Hellioning posted:

I generally think any system that is straight up 'men are better than women at half the classes and women are better than man for the other half' is not a great system.

Female units are universally, overwhelmingly superior in FFT because they're immortal

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

This isn't true at all. There are multiple boss fights that are set up intentionally to make you have to use specific abilities from specific jobs to make them beatable or at least way less painful and there is at least one boss fight where the difference between auto losing on turn 1 and winning is in how you deploy your units. There's also That Wiegraf Fight that, unless you're prepared for it, can be incredibly difficult. You can't just waltz in with a balanced party of jobs and expect to win that.

The game overall isn't incredibly hard but there is no gradually increasing difficulty curve. There are parts of the game where you'll breeze through 6 fights and then hit a huge wall where you have to stop and think about how to approach that fight and which jobs and abilities you need to get/use.

I can't think of a single fight in the game that requires more than keeping your bases covered. Even the two cases where Ramza is stuck alone just boil down to "Have a way to do spike damage, spike healing, or sandbag", which you are going to have a way to do, even if you literally left him in Squire the entire game for some reason.

There are a couple boss encounters that are hard but they're easily overcome if you just look at what's happening and think about how to counter it? Like the Chapter 2 Endboss might gently caress you with Nightmare so then you just go in again keeping your dudes spread out or equip them with Sleep immunity accessories. The actual bullshit fight is the Ch3 End encounter but I hardly think one badly designed encounter justifies calling the game warty and grindy lol

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So uhh Adamantoises are kicking my loving rear end. Am I supposed to be able to get trapezohedrons before I kill the last boss in FF13 or wait until after?

Elephant Ambush posted:

LOL aside from your very first sentence you are agreeing with me

You quoted my post, said "That's not true at all", then when I expanded on my point with specific details you said "you actually agree with me". :ok:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Harrow posted:

FFXII rules

yes

Sakurazuka posted:

FF12 sucks

no

Also having finally finished FF13 for the first time, man. It could have really used better pacing. Feels like there's more story in the last two hours of the game than everything leading up to it. The game would've really benefited from having towns or something where the characters could have time to talk with one another about their situation and motivations without the constant pressure pushing them forward. Everything with Raines feels really weird and backloaded too. Having a better understanding of the game's setting made me appreciate what it was going for, but it needed more worldbuilding at the start - "a robot wants us to destroy the world I guess?" is basically all you get for story for a really weirdly long chunk of the beginning of the game since it wants to get a Rolling Start like FF7 does. Overall I think it the story was a real missed opportunity and could have been a lot better than it ended up being.

Also Lightning is a lot cooler than I gave her credit for as a kid

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Speaking of FF8 what was that mod people were recommending for it in the last thread? Was it Crystal? Might start that instead of grinding out FF13 superbosses after all, all the travel time is kinda bumming me out

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the big ones are Crystal and Ragnarok-- check the qhimm forums

From looking at them both Ragnarok sounds a little more interesting than Crystal, so I'm gonna give it a shot

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It's kinda funny how hard I crush Triple Triad in FF8 now after grinding out like 95% of the Triple Triad mount achievement in FFXIV

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just beat X-ATM092 and escaped with 15 seconds left on the timer :shepface: Ragnarok mod has a high difficulty mode that I'm playing on and man everything is dangerous. Then again, I only have one GF with HP-J so far

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zell... you gotta do squats bro...

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

One of the worst examples of Final Fantasy age dilation is Quistis. Girl is supposed to be this mentor figure to all the other little seedsters with complicated protective yet romantic feelings toward Squall, then you find out she's like a whole year older.

I think that's the point though, she's supposed to be the prodigy student who isn't actually emotionally fit for a leadership role yet. Like Asterite said if you age her up it gets really uncomfortable too

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

But who the gently caress was responsible for this?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8

Jesus Christ the guy from Deep Purple sang this

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Asterite34 posted:

Interesting how this also sorta describes FF8, it even has Rita Repulsa as the main villain!

I'm playing through FF8 right now and it's kinda funny how tolerant I am of its bullshit compared to my recent FF13 playthrough. "Oh poo poo, like three guys broke out of jail. Initiate escapee protocol: unlock all holding cells and flood the prison with monsters :killing:"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ManSedan posted:

I never played XI but I understand the Blue Mages in that are pretty fleshed out?

Yeah they kick rear end. Imagine a Blue Mage where you equip spells and equipping certain spells gives you a synergy bonus that lets you do stuff like regenerate mana, dual wield, get bonus swings on auto-attacks, etc.

To keep it balanced, you have a point total for the amount of spells you can equip, and different spells have different point costs. Some spells suck but can be used to give really strong bonuses. Back when I still played in like 2008 the most common Blue Mage build was a hybrid melee/caster DPS that could combo its own weapon skills and magic together. I think the BLU Spellbook in XI is like hundreds of spells long now

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vanille's combat grunts in XIII were insanely annoying though. The actual character/voice acting was fine for story stuff but I hated using her in combat because of the OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs and HNNYYYYYYYYUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHs

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 7 remake is good. i like cloud. i like barret. i like aerith. i like tifa. i like them all... classic and unforgettable cast of characters...

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mega64 posted:

They've finally done it. They've made the perfect Final Fantasy game.

https://twitter.com/Chocobo_GP/status/1474696425246126081

And all it took was the return of Adelbert Steiner.

I'm iffy on this game but putting cool characters like Steiner, Vivi, and Terra in and the promise of FF music remixes means I can't help but be interested anyway.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

A cool bit about FF7 I noticed about is that even though Cloud promised he'd save Tifa, he never actually does, and it's Tifa who saves Cloud in the end.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Enjoying the FF7 remake so far but fighting the Hell House without assess materia was a slog. Guessing I was supposed to be using a specific element to get rid of its shield or something to that effect but none of the ones I had equipped seemed to work so I just plinked away at it for 5 damage at a time for about 30 minutes. Only time I've really come close to a game over.

lol I just did this fight too and I only had Lightning and Fire materia so it also took me forever. When it uses different moves it lights up with fire/lightning/wind/ice and you need to hit it with the opposite element (so ice/wind/lightning/fire) which does a shitload of direct damage and poise damage. When it goes God House mode there's nothing you can do but suffer I think

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

thats the sad part, he didnt even get cucked. he just had a crush on a woman on his security detail and then she hosed hojo, she didnt even know vincent existed

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Asterite34 posted:

If there's one thing FF7 does in spades, it's awkward jarring clashes of tone, and Cait Sith embodies that better than anyone.

not gonna lie cait sith's death hit me harder than aeris's as a kid because they were treating him like he was disposable and no one gave a poo poo about him sacrificing himself, but he actually was an individual with a personality. hosed up

that said he still sucks

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Verviticus posted:

it was skipped in the list so i ask: whats the most moving/powerful moment in FFT

Probably Rafa using the Scorpio stone to resurrect Malak or the scene where Delita pledges to Ramza that he's gonna protect Ovelia and then spends the rest of the game failing to live up to that promise in increasingly extreme ways

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tall Tale Teller posted:

If she's the child of a Cid her name should be Mid.

TAI

midney

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

miluda did nothing wrong

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Can't wait to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars because someone hacked into my Mog Armory and stole the token code for my Sword of Waifu Kisses +10 in Final Fantasy Ultima Crystallia Dissidia Cross-FATE A.B.Y.S.S.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

the balance sucks rear end anyway and is (was?) run by a guy who called himself Fuhrer Sky for entirely too long

The guides there are useful but yeah every single channel that has people actually talking in it is the pits

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Just to make this post about Final Fantasy, all this talk about FFT is making me want to get my hands on a copy and play it again. Is there a good guide on how to break the game, as people were discussing? I play it once back in high school and pretty sure I just grinded XP/JP in random battles by bonking my own guys, but with no real focus or direction.

Busted strats in FFT I can think of off the top of my head are to have a character learn everything on Samurai then switch them to a class with high MATK like Black Mage and blow everything up (Samurai's skillset scales with MATK), give someone that's learned all the break skills from Knight a gun so they can use break from across the map, unlock and use Dancer or Calculator, like, at all, and then in Chapter 2 when you get to the swamp map save/load until a Uribo spawns. Use a mediator to get it to join your team and then do Proposition missions while you wait for it to spawn offspring. The second tier of uribo can poach into an accessory (Chantage) that makes female units literally immortal

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Barudak posted:

Due to a mixup in the Japan office, they will be releasing FFVIII Remake Part 2 in 2024, which covers only waking up in Dollet Prison to challenging Edea in Galbadia Garden

This would actually kick rear end

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 7's random and never seen again minigames own

One thing I've really enjoyed about FF7R so far is that it's determined to throw random-rear end minigames at you constantly too

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Not a Children posted:

Saw the FFXII Remaster was on PSNow this week, and gave it a shot - my gf is super into it. According to the OP the game is kind of poo poo without mods, but I think we'll manage to struggle through it with a healthy dose of the speed-up button. Anything I should know going in? Made it just out of the electric-mimic dungeon. We know basically nothing about the game except vaguely that you can lock yourself out of certain rewards by opening the wrong chests.

In the original FF12 there was a secret chest that despawned permanently if you opened one of the chests in the world linked to it. There is absolutely no indication of this on either end (when you opened one of the linked chests that made it despawn, or when you get to the room where the chest would have been). The chest contained the game's strongest weapon.

Absolutely none of this is in any other version of FF12 including the one you are playing. It's completely removed and that weapon isn't even the strongest one in the game anymore

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just finished FF7R, was great. Feel like if I were a kid today playing this game I'd have the exact same reaction to this as kid me had to playing FF7 20 years ago. Played like 10 minutes of the Yuffie DLC and already wish I had her for the entirety of the main game, she is so fun to play as

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

MMF Freeway posted:

I found the combat in FF7R to be much better than in FF15, though I'm struggling to remember specific examples of what I didn't like in 15. Its definitely flashy and cool but I never really felt like what I was doing mattered all that much, I would just sort of push buttons until things died. I don't think the combat system had a good hook, like some memorable mechanic or strategy, it was just sick looking flips and teleports everywhere. I may have just been a noob though.

This was my recollection of it too, it was really flashy and sometimes you needed to use movement and Warp-Strike to win, but you mostly just held down attack or held down defend and then used your links and armiger when they came up. FF7R tying everything to ATB and encouraging you to block and dodge stuff and switch characters makes it a lot more active and engaging to play, especially since you also have materia in FF7R to make character builds with. FF15 doesn't even have magic, just the little Fire/Fira/Firaga grenades.

Honestly would not recommend playing FF15 if you hate the idea of the "guys on a roadtrip" story because imo that's like 80% of what makes the game worth playing.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So wrt the FF7R Yuffie DLC ending, is there some context I'm missing from Crisis Core or something that has everyone saying the Zack scene is timeline bullshit? I don't see why he wouldn't just be in Midgar and going to see Aerith at some point before he died, especially because he still has the Buster Sword. I know the church is full of refugees but I don't really have any problem believing Shinra displaced a shitload of people more than once.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nope all the context is from the game you just played. The base games ending shows he's in an alt reality or something give that the shinra dog is a completely different breed and he survives the big fight with the shinra death squad. In the original story line he dies there and a half comatose cloud takes the buster sword. Him walking around at all after that shows it's timeline bullshit.

Ah the thing with Stamp totally went over my head. I had interpreted that scene from the base game's ending as being the exact moment before Zack got lit up, since iirc he beats up a few Shinra mooks and drags Cloud away before getting cornered and killed. I know CC frames it as an epic battle to the death though.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Don't they just run away again when you lower their HP to 0 in the end of disc 2 fight