Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think it's fair to say the PSP version of FFIV's translation is the worst when the original SNES one is barely legible at times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The original japanese line is "Sorry. If you're going to bear a grudge, take it up with yourself or God."

It's one of the only cases where something in FFT's original translation actually resembles the intent, though it's not nearly as terse as they made it sound in English.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think Delita not having feelings for Ovelia and planning on killing her all along anyway ruins the tragedy of that last scene.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
also the fact that Matsuno said she lived through that last scene.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Schwartzcough posted:

Agreed, the ending just doesn't work if he didn't genuinely care for her. But for whatever reason, I remember there being a lot of vocal opposition back in the day, and that the knife he used to stab her was hidden in his bouquet.

She lived? I never heard that. I know Delita lived and went on to have a long reign, but I never heard that she made it. I have a hard time believing they'd ever be able to co-exist when she clearly had zero trust for him, and then he did stab her.

Yeah I can't find it off the top of my head but Matsuno tweeted about it. His twitter is basically just a trivia/lore dump for things he never put into games.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"occasional jank" is a very forgiving way to describe how long stretches of the backhalf of FFT's original translation are incomprehensible babble

There's a reason all the lines people remember are from the first chapter

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 4, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

jokes posted:

It had better have a per-unit AI toggle because I’m not loving manually controlling 12 troops in a fight

yeah haha who would do that anyway back to SRW 30 where I'm struggling to deploy all the units I want to with 13 slots

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Schwartzcough posted:

Shadowlands = WoW
Shadowbringers = FF
Shadowlord = Nier

Shadow Moses - Metal Gear Solid

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Not every floating island is Zeal.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
me when I see any floating landmass in media

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Chrono Trigger hasn't been referenced in a game in like twenty years y'all need to learn to let go

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 6, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Regalingualius posted:

As much as a lot of Chrono Cross was a bunch of plots haphazardly slapped together, goddamn did it have one of the greatest game OSTs ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXGgVLbz_M

Except for, inexplicably, the battle theme

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Chrono Cross suffers from being the first game that many people can remember that came out blatantly, unmistakeably unfinished, at a time when that hadn't started happening constantly.

Xenogears came out first didn't it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
As someone who very recently played through FFT for the first time I can say that, at least on my end, Wiegraf was the only time I actually had a problem and the game was pretty much clown easy after that except for the rooftop fight, which isn't actually challenging but just RNG bullshit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Guessing all this bugginess is due to FFV having a lot more moving parts under the hood than any previous game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yikes, those are some pretty hefty bugs. I guess I can be glad FFVPR exists for the new soundtrack and just keep playing the older versions. Though I guess maybe the bugs can be worked out by the mod scene? Though that's definitely a lot more work than just changing enemy names.

I mean S-E will probably just patch it?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Woodenlung posted:

Is there any way to get FF6 on steam anymore, so I can use mods? or do i just have to wait it out until the pixel remaster or whatever it's called

No and yes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm near the end of my FFVIII replay and I had no idea this could happen in the Adel fight (linked for VIII spoilers I guess)

https://i.imgur.com/IGEemjk.mp4

the panicked menu mashing tells the tale of your mental state that words could not

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

thetoughestbean posted:

This thread would disagree

some people in this thread would let's not pretend this is a universal opinion here

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Scrap Dragon posted:

The best thing you can say about the way the PRs look is that it's incredibly easy to mod in better sprites

actually I think the best thing I can say is ""I like the PR sprites"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have never thought to myself "you know what I need? more FFII dungeons"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
please look forward to my new NFT series: blurry pictures of Legend of Dragoon characters

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

jokes posted:

Vayne taking over the world is the same functional thing as Ashe doing whatever her poo poo is: humanity taking control of their own destiny from the Occuria. Also we don’t know who would have really won that war, and it’s not like the future they were fighting for lasted very long, what with them all getting cataclysmed back into a Catholic feudalism/medieval era.

I don't know if it's "the same functional thing" when Vayne very clearly has no problem grinding however many people under his heel that he needs to to accomplish his goal

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

The least evil FF final antagonist is probably Ardin who was literally Jesus but the Gods are assholes and hosed him over.

tbf he was pretty evil that's just what made him that way

reasonable people with grievances don't string corpses up like puppets, generally speaking

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
some day I will find a reason to use the phrase "Prepare the giant mirror!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1472628043252387847

that red mage fire sword combo thing looks sick

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
not every grunting noise is erotic what the gently caress is going on here what is wrong with you people (or person I guess)

roomtone posted:

sorry folks. i guess the conspicuous noises and animations that only exist in this genre are just incidental background stuff with no intent behind it. the creators probably generated these things automatically.

someone in gbs bought that for me as a joke. i haven't thought of anything to replace it yet, didn't really want an avatar. but yes i know, probably time to pay $10 and get rid of it.

ah gently caress it i'll stop posting in this thread. it's a fan thread so there's no point in coming in with these kind of opinions.

you're old and don't know what anime is please try to be less old

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
pictured: what zidane would look like in realistic proportions

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://twitter.com/finalfantasyxvi/status/1475335618905669635

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Late but unless something's changed you can't buy FFXIV or start the free trial right now until further notice

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 27, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I will be shocked if any of this NFT stuff goes anywhere and it isn't just blowing smoke up investor's asses

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
seconding how loving great the 13-2 gilgamesh DLC is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOrMIgf5tTU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
how mad are people going to get that they'll be calling it Midgardsormr

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Consider that in FFVII there's like thirty minutes between aerith's death and the snowboarding minigame

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
hell some final fantasy games directly punish you for trying to explore

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Remake Fort Condor owns

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Why are you all still interacting with the poster who insisted on calling Sabin Sabine and then said it had to be a mistranslation when called on it?

Clearly the posting is not being made in good faith here

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The fun thing is all the memorable lines from the original FFT translation are from the first chapter because that after that the game becomes completely loving illegible and there's nothing worthwhile or good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Thief really comes out ahead in 1PR with the balance changes and bug fixes doing a lot for ninja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
either gaius is trolling or just has terrible opinions or more than likely both and I don't understand why you all keep taking the bait like you're going to be the one to convince them that their takes are stupid