Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I agree. The SA reference in the GBA/DS FF4 localizations is hardly the most egregious example you could find. It reads like fairly normal speech if you don't know it's a reference, unlike the aforementioned Lunar jokes or the doge reference in Tri Force Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't even know how many games in 30XX is, but it's been at least 900 games since 20XX. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Real answer: There's a Pop'n Music 18, and there are apparently Amiga game series that make that look like a chump number. A quick Google turned up a thread on the Digital Press forums that asks the same question.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Just to be clear, which shadow thingy is the wow one and which shadow thingy is the Final Fantasy one?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shadowman = Mega Man

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That sounds about right for a mid-'90s JRPG sidequest for "ultimate" gear; grind for hours and the stupid thing still doesn't drop. I never got the Sword of Kings in Earthbound, and I hear Pink Tails and summon drops in FF4 are very similar.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Combine that with the text telling you literally the wrong thing during the very first major fight of the game ("Attack while its tail is up!") and...
IIRC that line is "Attack while the tail is up and it'll counterattack with its laser" or something like that, the textbox line break just happens to be right after "up" and the game doesn't pause or otherwise force you to read the whole thing so people read it as an imperative and not a warning. It's poorly phrased no doubt, but it's not outright lying to you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Was it the PSX translation for FF5 where they translated "Kraken" as "Clarken" or something like that, or am I thinking of something else? I know the big ones, like "Y Burn", "Soccer", and "Karl Boss", but I forget if "Clarken" was one of them too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Why is Sigma in FF14? He's from Mega Man! :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like the part of the readme where he describes renaming a save file as "It's kind of like swapping memory cards in real life".

E: This is really cool though, I've been waiting for this for a while.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 15, 2021

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Elephant Ambush posted:

So after hearing about 4JF for years I finally looked it up today and that sounds like it's only for hardcores who have beaten the game a zillion times. I can't imagine beating half the bosses without a ton of grinding for the best abilities and god help you if you get blue mage and have to spend tons of time trying to get all the best abilities.

How is this a thing people enjoy?
For the same reason people enjoy randomizers and Kaizo romhacks and stuff like that; it breathes new life into a game you've played like a zillion times. I personally wouldn't play a 4JF (I haven't even beaten FF5 yet), but I've considered playing a randomizer for games like Chrono Trigger, Symphony of the Night, and Aria of Sorrow that I've beaten several times and know fairly well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

jokes posted:

If bugs are a turn off to someone, playing old video games is probably a bad idea

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lady Radia posted:

wh...h...huh?
most people agree..that the aesthetics are better right now????

????????????????????????????????????
Personally I think the sprites look a bit worse than the SNES originals, but the music upgrades are well worth the visuals and it still looks a hell of a lot better than those mobile ports they were selling.

CubeTheory posted:

Actually, Chrono Cross is good
Chrono Cross is good right up until the final boss.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

They were waiting for that one person upthread to get the Necrophobe bug before fixing it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

HD DAD posted:

FFXVII will be developed using the PR engine.
Don't you go getting my hopes up!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bugenhagen: "Dude he spends like half his time brooding, you really thought he was an adult? :lol::lol:"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Prowler posted:

God, these reviews of Bravely Default 2 with milquetoast endorsements are telling me to wait until it hits a Steam sale. Thanks for the feedback, y'all.
I got it on Switch back when Amazon was doing those $15 coupons for Prime members and it happened to be on sale at the time, so my final price was like $15.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

cirus posted:

It would be funny if FFX-3 had more world and Spira is their Bermuda Triangle. HERE BE DRAGONS DEATH WHALE
Spira is the fuckin El Nido of the actual FFX world.

Mr. Locke posted:

Oh drat, what a swerve. FFX-3 is also FFXIII-4 as Lightning gets wrecked in the Triangle traveling abroad her modeling career in France to fight a new incarnation of Hate Whale with Wakka and Lulu's kid and a middle-aged Brother.

"Aw poo poo, here we go again."
From what I understand about the FFX and FFXIII EUs, that would fit right in :shrug:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Good to see Squenix's marketing and PR departments all have SA forums accounts. :laffo:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TFW the computer cheats so hard it accidentally helps you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cardboard Fox posted:

I'm playing the the original Final Fantasy pixel remaster while I sit in my 7000 queue for FFXIV. The game is actually really good for a 1987 title. I've wanted to play it all the way through ever since I was little, but the slowness always made me drop it. Now with the battle speed up, it's just perfect.

It's so funny seeing some of the original monster designs like the Sahagin being mixed in with random creatures they must have just picked out of a hat. "Oh, we need a wolf, and what about a scorpion? Yeah, throw in one of those. And a shark!"
Most of the "original" monsters in the first few Final Fantasies are in fact ripped from D&D, so that tracks. Sahuagin and Mind Flayers/Piscodemons are D&D monsters, Malboros and Ochus are basically Otyughs, Tiamat and Bahamut being dragons comes from D&D, as well as Marilith/Kary as a six-armed snake woman, the various Eye enemies are based on Beholders, etc.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, FF2 is a proto-SaGa game from a time back when sequels frequently got wildly experimental because genre conventions hadn't been entirely nailed down yet. But honestly, more than the wonky leveling system and the fact that after Minwu almost all of your 4th-slot party members are going to range somewhere between "unimpressive" and "complete dead weight" is the fact that the dungeon design is aggressively poo poo and I would not play that game without a guide with maps open due to the map designer's propensity for placing multiple doors in a room, only one of which is the "right way" to go and all of the others dropping you into the middle of an empty room with the encounter rate turned up to 20.

FF2 is just not a good game, even if you already understand its mechanics.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sephiroth is gonna be the final boss of every 7R game.
This. There's no way he's not going to be.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mustached Demon posted:

Thanks I played it in high school.
I'd already graduated from high school earlier that year. :corsair:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I thought Sony was being a huge PITA to devs who want to institute cross-play unless it's within the PlayStation ecosystem because :capitalism:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Unrelated to the current discussion beyond being FF7R, but I wanted to show it off anyways. I took a short video of it using the PS4's built-in capture, but it won't embed because :shrug: so here's a direct link.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

HD DAD posted:

Lol @ Yuna being like “yeah that sounds awesome” when Shinra brings up burning souls for electricity.
Extremely on brand for someone named Shinra, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Algus shooting Teta under Zalbag's orders?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dennis McClaren posted:

What do you mean by that? DId you mean the Lion Wars is only available on PSP?

Is FFT - The Lion Wars available on anything besides PSP in physical non-emulation form?
FFT: The Lion War is a PSP game, yes, but there's also a mobile port, playable on both iOS and Android IIRC. The original is also available as a PSOne Classic on PSP and PS3. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is on GBA and Wii U, but A2 is locked to the DS. The 3DS might actually be the best way to play all 3, because it can handle Advance and A2 through hardware backwards compatibility, though I've never tried PlayStation emulation on it and I wouldn't even attempt PSP emulation. IIRC you can run emulators on the new Xbox consoles by paying Microsoft to enable a developer mode on it though, so if you've really got your heart set on playing them on your Xbox you should be able to do it?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vikar Jerome posted:

FFT is getting remastered for pc/console fyi, it was in the geforce leak and its meant to be out very soon
Until a game is in my hands being played on a console I own I take reports of its existence with a grain of salt. Before it's even officially announced I take its existence with a handful of salt, no matter how trustworthy the leaker is, how likely the games are to exist in some form, or how often they've been right. It's cool to think of remasters for FFT and Chrono Cross, but I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for them. There's a lot going on right now that can affect a game's release schedule or even cause cancellations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No Dignity posted:

The one bit of entertainment I got out of FF15 was the game managing to delete files relating Prompto, which removed him from existence but otherwise continued to run fine, so he was just exiled to the WD Gaster zone until I realised it wasn't just a weird story beat and did a game file verification scan
:lol:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Now you're just making up words.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

the balance sucks rear end anyway and is (was?) run by a guy who called himself Fuhrer Sky for entirely too long
:yikes:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC it's part of Squenix's PSOne Classics lineup on PS3 and PSP/Vita. Otherwise you're probably emulating.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I only read Choose Your Own Adventure books because other books are too linear, your choices mean nothing. :argh:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I remember thinking that it kind of looked like Sephiroth was trying to make Cloud attack Aerith but he was fighting it internally.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Schwartzcough posted:

I like how people poo poo on XV's battle system saying "you only need to hold attack and spam potions to win", as if.... that hasn't been nearly every final fantasy ever? It becomes a lot more enjoyable if you choose to engage with its systems instead of ignoring them to play the game in the most boring possible way.

That said, the combat definitely isn't as refined as in FF7R.
Gamers choosing to play games in the least interesting way possible and then complaining that the game is bad is a highly celebrated tradition dating back to the dawn of games. Not just video games, all games. The first caveman to play tag probably sucked all the fun out of that too.

I have no horse in this race, I've never played FF15 or even know much about it, but that's just how it is.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC he mad sciences himself into a monster and becomes a boss late in the original. Pretty sure he dies after his fight?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Those are explicitly model guns, they're shooting bbs so that's basically stun damage

This, on the other hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IXCvs2B1Cc&t=43s
Helicopter doesn't explode in midair, we can assume that the pilot bailed out safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Karl Boss and Y Burn were the PSX translation. GBA has an actually competent translation done by a goon (IIRC).