Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
FFT > 6 > 10 > 4 > 5 > 7 > 13 > MQ > 1 > 9 > FFTA > 2. Thanks for stopping by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Yeah the ice rod in 4 was a nice boost for Rydia in the waterfall cave because it one shot frogs and was comparable to the plain rod against everything else. It (and all spellcasting items) was even better in the 3D versions because it scaled off Int AND got a boost from Item Lore. In PR it winds up doing single digit damage against everything that isn't weak to ice.

On the flip side, infinite arrows means Palom and Porom can just holy arrow through Mt Ordeals, and Rydia and Rosa get to absolutely wreck all the dragons infesting the moon, no dragon whisker required! Which is good, because there's no siren location for blue dragons that I could find.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

It's a big rear end sword.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Mr. Locke posted:

It's a strong skill set, but so's Black Magic, Summon, Time Magic, Jump, Draw Out, Yin/Yang, Throw, Dance- and, as said, even without grinding you should have generics moving into many of these niches well before you see even Agrias, forget Cid.

You're absolutely grinding if you're rolling with samurai and freaking dancers in the middle of act 2. Hell you can't even buy weapons for many of the advanced classes until act 3.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

welcome posted:

FFT > 6 > 10 > 4 > 5 > 7 > 13 > MQ > 1 > 9 > FFTA > 2. Thanks for stopping by.

This is now FFT > 10 > 6 > 4 > 5 > 7 > 13 > 12? > MQ > 1 > 9 > FFTA > 8 > 2. Thanks again.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Asterite34 posted:

Who would count as the most "villainous" FF party member? At least among the ones who're actual characters and have some sort of canon backstory and personality? Setzer? He reads as kinda villainous in his overall aesthetic, and he DID attempt to kidnap an opera singer...

If we're including evil then obviously Kain.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Agreed, they should be removed from all future rankings and also the Final Fantasy thread.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
If you're a level four monster it's easy: eat Fenrir or TianLung meat to go to level five, else stay at level four. Unfortunately I think they're both on the other side of the boss you're fighting.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
One of these days FFXII will drop below $25 and I'll see it through. Not today though!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

That's some Out of the Silent Planet poo poo.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Lore has its uses, Sketch/Control depending on whether you have lores you want to learn or stuff to steal, um Runic in a couple of fights? Magic really did a number on everyone's individuality.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I used Mog's dances all the time (after casting vanish on the behemoth to make it vulnerable to instant death attacks)

Rage is still better here because Rhodox? only uses Snare and not Cave In!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I'm personally looking forward to a sanctioned monster free tour of the Marsh Cave.

Also wtf, no silver swords at Elfland (Elfheim?), what am I supposed to do with 4x the gil? Good thing Garland dropped this longsword.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Vitamean posted:

this guy sucks. how're your PR playthroughs goin?

I'm just blowing through 1 with boosts on (already played twice on mobile) and its wild how quickly it goes without having to worry about grinding, 2:30 on the clock and I'm in the Sunken Shrine. Going to wrap it up and hopefully finally make progress in a version of 2 for the first time.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
It's not going to be that bad with 4x exp + the ability to shut off random encounters in the Ice Cave. Lich is going to take forever but you'll have plenty of money for hi potions and phoenix down because you can't equip anything lol.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Vikar Jerome posted:

This entire bullshit is super loving weird, are we done here?

You could just let it go dude. I haven't played 14 but that just means I'm probably even less invested in whether you're right or not.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Anyway I'm really excited to play through 2 and 3 normally for the first time, and also to level Cecil to 99 at Mount Ordeals in 30 minutes.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Kefka is actually immune to suplexing.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Sakurazuka posted:

In FF4 does it matter which hand you equip a bow and arrow to? Stats still seem to work out the same.

It mattered a lot on SNES, attack was way higher with arrows in the dominant hand. I didn't notice if the same was true in PR because Optimize would never equip bows, but I equipped them the same anyway.

Oddly in the 3D version everybody is right handed, but Rosa (the only bow user in that version) can only equip bows in her right hand.

Bows are also OP as hell in PR with infinite arrows, the twins just cruise through Mt. Ordeals.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
That was one of many bad translations in the SNES version, GBA localization and all further ones have Madeline telling Gestahl to leave Terra the hell alone.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Super No Vacancy posted:

wasnt gau's dad like mentally fried

He was a drunk.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is there any evidence to support this? His wife died in childbirth and it broke him so bad he left the baby to die and mentally blocked out ever even having a wife or child

If you go to the pub in Vector with Gau in your party after the banquet, he makes a reference to it smelling like Dad.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

jokes posted:

Mechanically, Gau is one of the strongest characters but he's a hassle to use and it's easier to just have everyone cast Ultima or hit for 9999 or whatever. Gau learning Lesser Lopros is a Big Deal because it does 50 spell power to everyone. Fira, by comparison, does 60 to a single target.

I never give a poo poo about his backstory, though.

He gets his stuff so much earlier than everybody else though. He can get Wind Slash, Fira, Thundara on his first trip and Aqua Breath, Gigavolt, Quake shortly afterwards. Hell if you're a maniac you can get Meteor before fighting Ultima Weapon. Even if you don't want to put the work in, Guard Leader is unmissable and wrecks 99% of WoB encounters. Gau kicks rear end.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Kheldarn posted:

For something being extinct, they sure can be summoned

Yeah that's what summoning is.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
When I first played FF4 I ran from nearly every random battle, which led to some fun boss battles with Valvalis, Calcobrena/Golbez, EvilWall and others but ESPECIALLY Baigan. Eventually I hit a brick wall against the four fiends in the Giant of Babel and had to restart the game lol.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Mega64 posted:

Dragoon is boring as poo poo in most of the job system games, and Jump is one of the lamest abilities because it's a fancy attack except your tanky character leaves the battlefield like a coward so your mages can get hit more.

That's why you have 4-5 dragoons so they're all in the air.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Leal posted:

Every battle in FFIX is like having a summon animation play, because it takes just as long to load up the drat battles!!

☝️ Also spell casting, zooming in to every monster in the game's face as they spell cast, Trance starting, Trance ending, waiting for Tsunami to finish animating for the fourth time because you still haven't stolen the Mithril Dagger, waiting for Ozma to finish killing you with Meteor because you selected an action while they were killing you with Curse, etc. I like everything in FFIX a lot except for the slow rear end battles.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know about 5 but weren't summons pretty great in every game up to 8 anyway? Rydia's in 4, the magecite summons in 6, 7's materia summons? I can kinda see how 11yos, not wanting to read a tome of mechanic instructions on how to play FF8 like they're spending 6 hours in the Street Fighter training room learning how to do a Hadouken, could go on just not knowing what to do to make the game less of a headache for themselves.

Agreed on 4 and 7, but between learning spells and gaining stats I very rarely used magicite for summoning in 6. Golem and Carbuncle are nice in some boss fights and Phantom is OP in a lot of areas, otherwise I don't think I've ever called an attack esper more than once to see what it looked like.

A fun quirk with autobattle in 6PR is Setzer will actually get some Slot combinations that you're very unlikely to see if you're just mashing through the reel animations. Mostly you'll just wind up killing yourself every other fight with Joker Death, but my personal favorite moment was when he rolled Magicite on the Floating Continent - and Crusader popped out.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

RareAcumen posted:

I just meant more that 'they're good and don't really fall off in usefulness like Tellah' Even if summons aren't amazing in 6 and you don't need to use them to succeed if you do I don't think they'd be like, crazy behind.

That's fair, most of them certainly aren't any worse than the spells they teach and a couple have unique effects (Ragnarok, Golem). Aside from being fiddly to manage, I think the worst thing you can accuse them of is failing to stand out as top options in a game where there are so many different ways to instantly end battles.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Chocobo Hot & Cold kicks rear end.

They're not good minigames, but I appreciate jump rope and the Athlete Queen game for their fine contributions to FF9's completionist nightmarism.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The thunder rod's only really useful in a low level game, but it's very useful there (cranes). It's harder to stock up on hero rings but there's also a lot of competition for relic slots, and with Magic as strong as it is in 6 an earring is often just as good.

But yes the ribbon is the real prize.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Endorph posted:

idk im not here to be the disability police

You sure about that?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Looks like the goalposts are once again being moved in favor of the gatekeepers.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Arist posted:

I was the one who called that out and I'm fine with it now so maybe relax

And I was cracking a joke based on a Waypoint article, but it's actually really lovely to call people fake disabled. I'm glad you're okay with it though, ADHD "works on your machine" after all :D

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Bongo Bill posted:

Just from a difficulty perspective, aren't the FFXVI accessories basically just cheats? Automatically succeeding at a core mechanic that's meant to be difficult sounds like the sort of thing I'd expect to be classified as a cheat option. Given that, it seems odd to impose any gameplay cost or limit on activating them.

They sound like the Very Easy exclusive chips in Nier, which also had a (smaller) gameplay cost. But if you can equip an accessory that lets you auto dodge every attack, why would you need to equip a Ribbon too?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Gau's homeless in the wilderness and Umaro's a Bigfoot at the beginning of FF6 as far as individuals go. I think FF3 heroes are probably the humblest ensemble though.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Does Cecil at the strip club count? Golbez' slow rear end arm crawling past five heroes?

I laughed at Josef vs. the boulder but I don't think I was supposed to.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Ryedia.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Is it chock a bow now? Was it always chock a bow?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I've only ever said or heard choke, but I guess I've only ever heard Americans say it.

Edit like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWA-V56jur8&t=36

welcome fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
13 is good.