Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It is 1997. I am listening to the new Limp Bizkit album and awaiting the release of Final Fantasy VII.

It is 1999. I am listening to the new Limp Bizkit album and awaiting the release of Final Fantasy VIII.

It is 2005. I am listening to the new Limp Bizkit album and awaiting the release of Final Fantasy XII.

It is 2021. I am listening to the new Limp Bizkit album and awaiting the release of Final Fantasy I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Are there any OST tracks off the Zodiac Age version that are substantially different from the originals, or is it pretty much entirely just cleaning it up? They didn't actually re-record the whole thing with an orchestra, did they?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Vinny brought this up in his Metroid Dread finale and now I'm curious too. Is Final Fantasy the series with the most numbered sequels? He didn't mean the most games, like there might be 25 Madden games (making up a number) but they're named after the year they were released. But with Final Fantasy 16 on the way, are there any other games that are for example Super Mario Bros. 16, or higher? The only one I can think of that comes close is Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV, which is still less than Final Fantasy by one even if you're only counting released titles.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

12's OST is like 13's where even if you're "meh" overall you have to admit that the boss theme is a banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CTnqYZIGiA

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I sincerely hope those last few seconds indicate a rockin' guitar solo at some point

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Endwalker got delayed 2 weeks; general reaction I've seen online is "ok no big deal hope everyone on the team is ok!"

I'm trying to imagine if the latest WoW expansion had a 2 week delay :ohdear:

VVV was there a great wailing and gnashing of teeth or was the playerbase mostly OK with it

I know the overall reaction to it has been less than stellar

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 6, 2021

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

related, are there any good fan-patches ala the moguri mod for Chrono cross?

god I wish

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Chrono/Earthbound is what nerds use to try and big up their weeb credentials

lmao

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lmao at Thief's hypersprint

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mega64 how much do I need to Venmo you for a mod that increases steal rate and one that makes enemies with Blue magic always use it, and always target the Blue Mage if available

I'm only like, half-joking too

e: getting all 30 Blue spells for the trophy is gonna suck and holy poo poo VI is probably gonna make you get all of Gau's Rages and Strago's Blue magic isn't it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah I think V and VI might just go un-platinumed. I'm looking at the missable enemies list alone for V and I'd rather just play the game instead of alt-tabbing to a missables guide every time I hit a new area.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cardboard Fox posted:

Hmm, a Mega Man colab in FFXIV would be pretty cool!

There was this super-detailed fake FF6 guide out there that had detailed recruitment methods, skills and backstories for several Mega Man X characters, among others

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

FF6PR's moddability can turn that fake guide into reality.

I need to track it down again because it was really pretty impressive in its scope and detail

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Awesome, thank you!

jiffynuts posted:

Having a blast playing FF 5 pixel remaster. The job system is both amazing and the worst thing ever. Amazing because I can customize my party any damned way I want to, and those learned abilities are really rad. It's terrible and the worst thing ever because I want to level every job on every character _right now_. :cry:

Yeah I've gotten decision-paralysis multiple times so far. I almost wish you got 3 slots: your current job's ability, a 2nd ability, and a passive. Or that mastered passives applied to you on every job, not just Freelancer/Mime.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

Are they the same 3%ish chance a rare steal is in FF5 because a hearty lol if so.

Seriously stuff like that in single player games is maddening. I just wanted a Gaia Hammer early FF5 :(

This is seriously the dumbest poo poo and my single regret in my current 5PR playthrough is that I committed so hard to Thief

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

FF12 trucks

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wasn't the Steal gambit thing a deliberate design decision to attempt to prevent stealing from just being totally automatic like that?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't think I have literally ever gotten hit with Zombie status in FFV

Not a brag or a dig at anyone, just something I realized based on the current topic

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

characters with the gold hairpin equipped wouldnt be able to cast a spell if its non reduced mp cost was higher than the characters current mp,

oh yeah I ran into this one lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So, as far as "OK enough jobs mastered, time for Freelancer/Mime", am I right in saying that mastering Summoner and Monk gives that character the maximum possible Magic/Strength modifiers?

And if that's the case, I can expect all 4 characters to hold their own in both physical and magic, on par with an actual Monk or Summoner, right?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My party is currently

Freelancer/Spellblade/Mug with dual-wield

Freelancer/Blue Magic/Black Magic

Mime/White/Time/Blue

Mime/Summon/Black/Sing

I just got the 4th tablet and honestly am breezing through things. The magic-using Freelancer has a decent balance of +Magic and +Strength gear.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Considering how difficult it is to find a 3DS now, I wonder if SE is gonna let the first 2 games rot or re-release them on Switch or PC.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

This was reported on before but oh god please be real
https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1463168424331431949?t=GpRmjPCO-jjMeDDpL-V8Eg&s=19

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cardboard Fox posted:

Guess we won't know if this is a remake or remaster.

The only thing I do know is that if they do any sort of remix with the music I will be eternally angry.

My guess would be if it exists it's an FF8-style remaster rather than an FF7R thing

Everybody go out and buy it day one so we can then get CTPR

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Just clean up the graphics, smooth out the battle system/UI to fit modern sensibilities, and gimme some sweet sweet re-recorded OST goodness

I would pay full AAA-game price for this

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The only thing they should add to CC is more Chrono Trigger characters berating you for existing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

took down Omega at level 40 :haw:

1 dual-wielding spellblade, 1 healer, and 1 bard spamming Romeo's Ballad

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I haven't done any bonus dungeons that I can remember, and I love FF6 as much as the next fella, but the Dragon's Den sounds absolutely miserable and the Soul Shrine sounds like a boring slog

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In the long run you've got the right idea though - a mastered job transfers certain stat bonuses over to Freelancer, so by the end of the game, if you have a character that's mastered Monk and Summoner, their Freelancer will have high strength and magic.

My Lenna had Blue/Black magics but could also hit for ~6000 with dual-wield

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Not really, the stat bonuses only carry to Freelancer, not other jobs. Mastering jobs is something I saved til near the end when farming AP becomes quicker/easier.

But also if you get new jobs and go "eh actually I like/enjoy having Faris as a Monk" then by all means stick with it

There really are very very few objectively wrong ways to play 5

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cattail Prophet posted:

That said, there are a few jobs that are unusually quick to master. The ones that come to mind are bard, blue mage, and geomancer. Mastering bard is pretty pointless, but the other two both have useful passives that could arguably be worth the investment, though it still requires running around as a freelancer in the midgame when you'd probably rather be gaining AP.

I actually got a fair amount of mileage out of Geomancer, Gaia has some solid attacks right when you get the job, and it's IIRC a decent magic stat bonus for a very quick to master job.

Bard is incredibly useful, Requiem will straight carry you through some areas and the Stop song is how I beat Omega on this run, very useful considering Stopga doesn't exist in 5

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Unfortunately Geomancer has no way to give those stat bonuses to other jobs, none of the abilities it learns boost stats. You can boost Freelancer's magic of course but as someone else said, you probably don't want to be using Freelancers so early in the game when you should be gaining JP instead.

Yeah I meant the decent Freelancer bonus if you're lazy or something and can't just bang out Summoner in Bal Castle

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mr. Locke posted:

Counterpoint: This Never Happens. If you get a group heavily of new people, it might cause a wipe once, then someone will explain the mechanic in Team/Alliance/Shout and the next time it'll clear. Usually someone explains it beforehand and if it doesn't clear first run, it's usually not to the death mechanic.

Like, I've run plenty of Castrum Lacus Licore in the last month to squeeze out a Resistance Weapon before expansion, which has one of the single hardest to coordinate versions of this in the game since it's two entirely separate fights that need to be beaten within a very short time of each other, and I've seen it fail once because of this mechanic- an entire group on the bottom floor was a bunch of friends doing their first even run and missed the calls in Shout to slow damage. It cleared the next attempt.

Someone never did T1 when it first came out

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SE is weird as hell about streaming/sharing content - the other big example I can think of is how they'll instantly DMCA YouTube videos of OST tracks with a static image; but if you put actual gameplay over the music they don't care if you literally call it "FFVPR OST Track 26 - Battle At The Big Bridge"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Exdeath talking reminds me of that Kids in the Hall sketch where one of them would tell a short anecdote about being kind of a jerk and then chortle over how deliciously evil he was

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tbh Exdeath's backstory could have easily lent itself to a sympathetic view (I was happy being a freakin tree til you assholes pumped me full of evil souls), but I am glad they just went the Skeletor, cackling evil loony route

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Late-game, Blue Mage with dual-wield holding Rune Axe and Enhancer was a really excellent all-around character. With White Wind you've got a healer too.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OTOH the fact that Magic - when finally unlocked and put back into the hands of average humans - just mows down enemies and overshadows any human skill-based (blitzes/bushido) or technology-based (tools/magitek) abilities, is pretty on-brand for the backstory of the game

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bardeh posted:

I'd like to know how you're meant to discover where to go next in FFV without looking at a guide. It's been a half dozen times now where I'm thrown back to the world map, usually to find Cid, but with no indication where he might be. I just got the Earth Crystal jobs and apparently he's at a meteorite, but how would I know that, or which one?!

When you go back to see him at the Catapult there's a note on the desk he wrote telling you he went to the Tycoon meteor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shabadu posted:

in 1995 I definitely had a 3 ring binder with the entirety of the ff6 faq including the colosseum guide from gamefaqs printed onto 3 hole punched paper

I did this in like 2001 except it was a binder full of what these days would charitably be called a Xenogears Wiki