Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

ImpAtom posted:

Ah Yes the... Walking speed?

I think they're referring to the mode-7 demo part of the opening where you do get to watch them walk to credits for what feels like a long time (actually about 2 minutes). It's not skippable if there isn't a save file already existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I'm playing FF2 for the first time with the pixel remaster. I just got to Leviathan and I didn't expect this at all, this owns.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Barudak posted:

FF2 is very fun in Pixel Remaster but watch the hell out for Couerls and anything else that can inflict status effects due to game changes

Yeah I may have uh, done a bit much grinding. Everyone's main weapon is level 12 or 13, there's a Berserk at 8, a Blink at 10... and this was before I even got to Mysidia.

Pretty cool so far though and the short bit of Leviathan blew my high as gently caress mind right out. Really didn't expect people living there.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

FF13 kind of falls apart near the end, huh?

You finally get a real dungeon, but by the time I made it there I got tired of fighting the encounters so I stealthed through and didn't explore much. I handicapped myself because I didn't feel like using Snow or Fang, mainly Light/Sazh/Vanille, but even so these encounters feel very binary. Like either I get a quick stagger and my AI companions and I absolutely destroy the enemies, or I don't and my AI companions and I get owned completely.

I was able to get the first of the three endbosses down reasonably enough but then Orphan kept kicking my rear end in stupid ways. I just wanted to see the end so I cheated in as much crystogen points and money as I wanted to get through. Had to leave for work just as I started the victory lap with the final boss so I'll find out what happens later. This plot is very dumb but it didn't have to be this way, there's some neat story to tell and yet the way it's done is just stupid.

Very early I saw the complaints about the game and they're mostly founded, but there is a neat system under it that you can engage with. But that doesn't carry the baggage that is everything else. It got better compared to the start but never made up for it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

I hope you move on to FFXIII-2. It mostly fulfills every promise FFXIII makes. FrostyPox just finished it, and I'm working my way through it now.

What are you playing on?

I'm definitely doing the trilogy, I think upthread a while ago XIII-2 was described as Stupid Chrono Trigger and I've been wanting to do it since.

I'm playing on my Steam Deck which I know means I might be in for a wild troubleshooting time with XIII-2. I think I got in-game when I installed it and ff13fix, can't remember if I tried the controller or not.

Back on XIII, it's awful they never tell you about ATB refresh, but at least I read about that from other people before I played. The system is pretty active and fun, once you have access to enough paradigms and characters that you can switch almost all the time. The support classes are clearly useless unless they're needed at the moment, so there's lots of swapping from starting com/syn/sab to something that can fight and switching to heal only as long as necessary.

I never ran with a SEN though so i'm sure that made it harder, but they mostly didn't seem like I needed one.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

If you didn't see it earlier, here's a post I made about a few fixes you might want to use. If you do, install them first as they reset your save.

That was a wild ride. Didn't feel like rewriting the bat files in bash, so I did it on my PC and tried to rsync over, which led me down a rabbit hole of updating my BIOS and trying to find the virtualization option because I updated WSL to version 2, and apparently AMD board like to call the virtualization enable SVM mode but don't spell out virtualization in the options.

Anyway I got that done, not 100% sure it worked, I guess the N7 outfit doesn't show up until a bit after the start? Performance on this really is randomly just awful so I see why it's marked unsupported. Frequent dips to FPS in the 20s, when it's not locking up at 3fps doing whatever the hell it's doing. Probably will stick with it though because battles are mostly running fine.

I started XIII-2 a while back and the intro was both nuts and confusing, and somehow now having just played XIII that intro is more confusing than when I had no context for it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

Two questions following that trailer;

1) Hows SOP on steam deck

Can't recommend it really, I spent some time installing it via Heroic and getting the latest Proton-GE in Heroic, added the amg_ags_x64=b using Winecfg, and the game launches and I can adjust the settings. But trying to start a new game I left it for several minutes and it never loaded past the loading throbber in the lower-right. So I'm giving up on it for now. I know some other people have managed to get it running but I don't feel like loving with it any more.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I guess they were trying to recapture that FF6 style of "random bullshit that happens in battle after some arcane condition is met that's technically a limit break" mechanic. Because I seem to recall 6 having something that it technically classified as a limit break but it was so loving random to trigger you could play through virtually the entire game and never see it once.

The desperation attacks are things that I had never ever seen in a casual playthrough. The conditions are not complex besides that you aren't told anything about it; it's after 25 seconds in a fight, there's a 1/16 chance of triggering one on an Attack action if the character attacking also had 1/8 or less of their HP remaining. Not a super obscure thing, other than that if my dudes have that little HP I'm probably not going to have one Attack, so I never did.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mega64 posted:

I mean, 14 as the best soundtrack is unfair just because of the sheer quantity, even if Soken does a phenomenal job with both new songs and remixes. 14 has at least twice as many god-tier songs as any other FF game, if not three times as much.

So why doesn't the new Theatrhythm have more 14 songs? Is it so the other games don't feel bad getting so outdone by Soken?

It's got more 14 songs than any other single title to be fair. 33, 35 if you count the Primals arrangements which I don't only because I don't want to add the other arrangements to their respective games. Though the XIV Primals arrangements are all in XIV itself.

That's also assuming the 3rd season pass TBAs aren't more XIV tracks, which maybe they are and maybe they aren't. I wouldn't complain if we got Radz-at-Han's music https://twitter.com/haru_hzp/status/1583062467705307137

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Amppelix posted:

my self-imposed stupidity aside chapter 7 was really good actually

xiii is good y'all

i'll be very interested to see how your opinion changes as you get through the game

Agents are GO! posted:

You're wrong on this one. There is a lot of fun to be had with FFXIII. At least two people have done recent playthroughs, myself and FrostyPox.

The game has some real weird design decisions, but when it works it is brilliant. Addiyionally, FFXIII-2 is a fantastic game that refines everything FFXIII got right and fixes everything it got wrong.

I also recently finished it! I've started on XIII-2 and it's so much better in essentially every way.

I don't think at the end of it that XIII is a good game, but it has a bunch of good parts to it and the middle uh, third? two-fifths? maybe even half? of the game really is pretty fun. It falls apart at the end though, the plot is pretty nonsensical and the encounter design gets pretty dumb mostly due to the big bloated HP pools.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I could not find them, no. The preview page for the physical CDs lets you play all discs in browser except Disc 8, the jukebox tracks. It's like they were isolating them on CD on purpose to make people buy the set. I would just buy them if they were available digitally.

dang fuckin weird that they put out an 8-disc collection. all the xiv soundtracks are a single blu-ray each and include mp3s on the disc, which is pretty neat if somewhat annoying since i don't have a pc with a bdrom drive

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Vitamean posted:

Playing more of the Theatrhythm demo, I've gotten more comfortable playing with the triggers and sticks, but it makes the controller just a tad uncomfortable to hold for long period of time since my index fingers are constantly resting on the shoulder buttons while also trying to keep the thumb sticks covered.

but

what if

you had a spare $200 dollars

I extremely wish it was on PC first so I could. Well, first so I could play on Deck portably because I prefer its feel to the Switch. But also so when I play I can use my series 2 controller with the paddles and keep my thumbs on the sticks. I may yet emulate it, who cares I already gave my money to the $100 everything edition. If it's one of the Switch games that emulate well on Deck that'll be even nicer.

jokes posted:

FF13 is a good, misunderstood game that I honestly didn’t enjoy and would recommend nobody play it

It can be pretty fun but I very didn't enjoy the back third and most of the complaints people tossed at it are actual annoying bad things about it. It's better than its reputation but that doesn't make the haters wrong

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Vitamean posted:

I've seen some posts elsewhere of people getting the arcade game running on Deck, but I don't know a ton about the setup required.

oh, nice. i found it, not sure if i'll bother but maybe. tide me over until release

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Arist posted:

I'm a bit biased because I'm a Bard main and HW was the current expansion when I played it (rip in piss bardmage), but Heavensward was good, it was just less compelling to me than everything after it.

HW is the first good story arc but the zones suck so bad. Everything about it is designed to waste your time, from the vertically separated floating bits coexisting (in three separate zones!), almost all the zones having aether crystals stuck to one side of the map or the other (or worse, not existing at all!). The crafting quests are awful and half the class quests are just not very good.

I can definitely buy that it'd be someone's worst. It's not my worst particularly since I didn't start playing until 5.58 already hit so I was never around for stupid TP bullshit or how horribly some of the classes played at the time. But like, at least ARR got flying and the zones were mostly not big enough to worry about aether crystal locations; Heavensward areas are awful and they've never received any kind of touch-up. It's been years* let's get an aether crystal in the goddamn hinterlands, maybe we can build one on the east side of Sea of Clouds and the Churning Mists while we're at it

* yes I know time bubble but come the gently caress on the first time you go to Othard takes months

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah people talk about HW being "when it gets good," but I think they understate how boring the actual gameplay still is (something that is kind of true throughout the entire MSQ). The actual moment-to-moment gameplay of traveling around the zones and killing mobs or fetching quest items is extremely boring. You really have to be invested enough in the setting/narrative/characters to enjoy it in spite of this stuff (which I am, but I could understand why someone else might not be).

Don't get me wrong tho HW is absolutely where I fell in love with the world and story and even if it is pretty basic I had a shitload of fun going through it. Just going through ARR->HW is pretty refreshing and you don't notice just how bad much of the design is until you've gotten a couple expansions away. SB starts you off with one zone where you just can't get to half of it at all until much later, and the other beginner zone has teleport locations that feel almost as awful as Sea of Clouds/Churning Mists, but they rapidly improve from there so at least ShB and EW are full of mostly-convenient aetheryte locations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

does thursday mean midnight wednedsay

if you're on switch, maybe! some publishers get midnight releases and some don't and I don't remember what Square Enix usually does. I'm definitely hoping for midnight wednesday myself.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

For XIII-2 (which is excellent, BTW) install the cut content mod and leviathans tears before you start playing, it resets your save.

I don't know that it does, actually. I hosed up not knowing rsync so I ended up copying all of XIII-2 from my PC to my Deck like 3 times in different places, none of which were the actual spot where Steam put the game on my SD card.

Turns out the patches alter two files in the game data, and copying those over sftp manually to the right place got the costumes working. I also verified that the changed files were not in the right spot to take effect.

Once I copied those two files over the originals, the next time I loaded the game I could select all the very silly DLC armors from the save I'd already started. Noel is never taking that Assassin's Creed outfit off. Is that the non-idiotic costume you mean? Because I love it. I love it so much and I have Serah in the stupid Mass Effect armor and it looks extremely dumb to have these two rolling through time like that, it's brilliant.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm assuming that if I were to play a song at a higher difficulty I could theoretically do more damage and therefore go further in the level? So quests like "Defeat 1 or more Guard Scorpion" when I don't even see one show up in the level is because my team is not dealing enough damage to advance in enemeies, either because they're too low a level or I'm not playing at a hard enough difficulty (or both)?

Difficulty doesn't impact your score or damage directly. Some abilities have scaling based on difficulty, so a spell would happen at 20/40/50/60 hits but that might mean twice in a song on the lowest difficulty but 5 or more times on the highest.

It's basically down to level, with that 30 limit on the demo being low plus you don't have access to all the summons etc.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Question, I heard a livestream of Theatrhythm spoiled or gave clues to what the secret DLC oacks are? Or am I just imagining it?

Punchy posted a couple of these:
FFX-2's Real Emotion is in the deluxe edition
Bravely Default tracks are likely to be DLC pack 14 as there's a Bravely Default in the recommended tracks here
The last pack is going to be 8 FFXVI songs; the series is after XV and before spinoffs, and there's an EMS which so far has only been used with FF-series titles

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

The musical component of the game feels about the same as giving someone a stick and telling them to hit a trashcan to the beat of a song. I really wish they'd have completely overhauled this game and done way more with it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

handheld or holding joycons wirelessly it does kinda suck, the right stick particularly is too far down to easily hit and the distance between it and the face buttons mean you've got to shift your grip to hit one or the other. it's not ideal!

I'll be using a pro controller tonight which should improve a bunch of that. also i'll see how it emulates on the steam deck since that's more preferable to my hands in handheld than switch.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

can you use the taiko controller

not in the default mode, though there's a single button mode or simple mode might work, other than holds? i definitely wish there was a more arcade-style controller available. though a literal arcade controller wouldn't work, because final bar line has a few segments where 3 buttons have to be held at once in supreme-difficulty songs.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

zedprime posted:

I don't see any cups.

they've got straws coming out of their heads! cuphead himself has two for ??? reasons

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

they also don't have my favorite FFXIV song, "Civilizations (ft. Otamatone)". who do i have to convince to make this happen

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Hmm... that's really unfortunate because it means I do actually need two separate analog inputs. I was thinking it might not actually care which stick does which direction, and as an extension might not care if I "technically" input back and forward on the same stick

In that case my existing PCB doesn't work, I'll need to see if anyone produces a PCB that has two separate analog stick inputs. I think some of the smash compatible sticks do exactly that come to think of it.. but then I'm getting into buying a whole new controller to hack apart. If only I still had my drifting joycons to disassemble

How would your PCB input multiple directions on the same stick? The Switch receives X and Y axes as single bytes each, 0-255, so a full left plus full right would return 127 (neutral) X, same for full up/full down as Y. Presumably the game is doing some conversion to polar coordinates from the values it gets to then get which direction is pressed, but at a hardware level you can't control that.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Man, I am really unsure about Final Fantasy 16 and that is a lovely feeling. This is Final Fantasy, we are suppose to be extremely hyped. The character who provides all of the constant chatter, I wish they were voiced by Karl Urban's character from the Boys.

idk i'm fairly hype to play it in 16 months or whatever whenever it finally releases

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I'm buying it on release day no matter what! June 22nd! It looks like it won't be delayed too even. I mean you never know, but we are 4 months out!

i don't have a ps5 and won't be buying one so the release date hasn't been set, but it'll be next year some time!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

what happened with lightning returns? i started the game and everything has so much HP it's a slog to get through, and i get ground down and die to the normal random enemies in the starting town.

i guess also i wasted a shitload of time not doing much besides wandering around after tailing the cult? anyway i don't think i get the systems in this game at all. probably gonna restart on easy and see if that helps the "everything has assloads of HP" feel

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Doing quests gets you stats and gear that gets you stats. If you've spent multiple in game days not doing sidequests then yeah the enemies further in are gonna kick your rear end. But also, some enemies just have a large amount of HP because you have to stagger them to burst them down and that's done by hitting weaknesses keeping the pressure on them or perfect guarding and attack of their or hitting them mid a bigger attack by dodging the blow and getting in on them. The wind dragons in the graveyard, for example, instantly stagger if you hit them during their attack that summons the multiple spiraling tornados

I just got back to the main city after the first 6AM happened and I had a quick conversation with Lumina on my way back from the Ark, so it's I guess 8-ish hours into the time allotted.

Fister Roboto posted:

Just like the other 13 games, you usually need to stagger enemies to do decent damage. The difference is that each enemy has a different way of staggering. Like the imp enemies will stagger if you hit them while casting, and the dog enemies will stagger if you block their attacks. Which enemies specifically are you having trouble with?

I'm exploring the first town and when one of these boys spawns it saps all my potions, and if I have none potions I slowly but inevitably die: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Gorgonopsid_(Lightning_Returns)

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

idk I'm trying I guess? kind of poo poo at stuff that wants me to perfect parry everything and i lean on those attack/thunder/blizzard buttons most of the time

lol i looked at a guide and i guess i should've somehow done the main quests in the wildlands the first night? i assumed it was a tutorial night

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

EP isn't really stingy on normal. A handful of fights gets you all you need for chrono stasis and stasis lasts so long it covers it plus other poo poo easily. Plus chaos infused fights guarantee +1 EP minimum in return.

Is that right? I've been getting 0.04EP most battles. I once managed to blow all my potions and get a chaos gorgonopsid down and got 0.4 EP for my trouble (also the knowledge that there's no way I could also take down the other gorgonopsid that spawned after).

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Kyoujin posted:

The all star carnival medleys are pretty long too. Wonder if there is a track list with song length yet.

Someone put together a site full of stuff mined from the Switch version: https://tff.quest/stages?lang=en-US&s=Length&o=Desc

Advent: One Winged Angel is the longest.

Fun fact: apparently the music table data, the actual note chart, and the audio for the songs all have different lengths. It's off by seconds at most though, for example the note chart for Advent: OWA is 364.6 seconds while the music table says 365.7.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

XIII-2 expects you to play XIII first.

no way. i started xiii-2 without doing xiii and it was weird and in medias res which i guess is the main theme for all the xiii series games, but then i restarted it after having played xiii and i was only more confused than when i hadn't played it

there's only a bit of character continuity and honestly the in medias res start is less confusing for xiii-2 than it is for xiii

then LR shows up and all the characters but lightning are different characters in the same skin

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Chillgamesh posted:

Azim Steppe is one of the best zones in FFXIV, fight me.

I'll give it "the only zone in Othard with a reasonable aetheryte layout" but I honestly didn't think much of it as a zone

filled with amusing musical references tho and the au ra of the steppe do own

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

HPanda posted:

And what is easily the most evilly placed aether current in the game, needed to fly in that zone.

they killed this one when they dropped the number of aether currents you need to fly in pre-EW zones :argh:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The people who have the biggest criticisms of FFXIII tend to have no media literacy or must have skipped cutscenes or something. I too don't think that highly of the game but the number of people who don't understand the most basic premises of the setting I've run into online are staggering.

If you don't read the datalogs after every plot beat you're missing a big chunk of the story and almost any character motivations that are more subtle than them outright stating one hates the other or whatever.

Honestly that's probably my biggest criticism of the game, nothing else about it is as bad as how heavily they commit to in medias res and don't explain much outside of the bits buried in the datalog.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Literally the only thing in the datalogs which isn't explained in game is stuff to do with Etro. Which literally isn't relevant until the sequel, FFXIII-2. I'm sorry but, you're just bad at media literacy.

Probably, I just couldn't figure out why Vanille was like that until the datalog told me her motivation rather in advance of the cutscenes bothering to do that.

Also I don't remember poo poo about Etro in XIII but once I was through the Steppe I just wanted the game to be over so it looks like I didn't ever even find the two Cie'th stones that would have let me know about Etro. Not that I'd have noticed probably, I didn't even pick up on Alyssa's poo poo in XIII-2 even after the point where it becomes rather important.

The character-to-character bits are told well. Hope's fine, even if his experiences lead him to design the Torment Nexus, possibly more than once. Not sure why he gets de-aged later, that's where I object.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve only played the GBA version of FFI, and for some reason I ignored all the bonus dungeons. Is the pixel remaster more like the original with spells per day and all that? Or is it a weird version with MP like the GBA one?

It's got spells per day like the original. However you can buy ethers, which didn't exist in the original. They restore one use for each spell level the character has, and they're not that expensive, so it's not meaningfully different from an mp system really. It makes it much easier if you just carry a stack on you.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

I was going to say that they call one of the trains in 14 this, but then I remembered that they call it the Phantom Train, so yeah, Doomy is only in 8. Shame.

piL posted:

Doom Train's abilities make more sense based on the Japanese name, but I dont know if I understand the train motif.

poor guy's mostly just been a normal random encounter, only a summon in 8 and a boss in 14. can't say i get why they renamed him doomtrain in 8 outside Japan

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

This is lightly unfair. The game does tutorialize that commando makes the stagger decrease less and ravagers makes it go up. It doesn't ever mention that sab also slows the bar. It's just buried in a sub menu that you may never check and if you don't find this out there's a section or 2 that I assume would become completely miserable. But I saw it and had a lovely time with ff13.

lol i only picked up on the commando part because of the tutorial, probably. didn't realize sab/sen . didn't really run into any miserable sections, just always would swap to COM to make the stagger gauge go down slow every now and then.

the only miserable bits i ended up with were the last area's enemies felt like they had more hp than i wanted to deal with, and the last boss is a fucker if you're underleveled.

same goes for xiii-2 btw, that set of encounters that is the last boss is quite the motherfucker if you're underleveled

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Agreed, I would recommend code + potions at least until you get 3 party members (so, most of the game). It's great at the start and stays mostly good enough until then, when you probably do want a paradigm with 1-2 medics set up for a quick heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Boy of Joy posted:

I don’t remember the specifics but I definitely remember folks recommending you level up FF13-2’s version of the Crystarium a certain way (via a guide) or else you could screw yourself out of some good stat boosts by the end of the game

Serah's a better RAV, Noel's a better COM, only Serah gets SAB -ga skills and only Noel gets SYN -ga skills. You'll easily be able to get most roles past the point they have skills to give by the end of the game.

There are big and small nodes, the big nodes give a boost dependent on class and (sometimes) level. COM/RAV give STR/MAG respectively, SEN/MED gives HP (who cares), SAB/SYN are Weird. SAB gives you STR when you are even level going to odd, MAG when you're an odd level going to even - so a lv13 SAB gets +2 MAG from a big node. SYN is like that but the odd->even levelup is HP while the other is MAG.

You could minmax it, or you can just loosely keep these in mind, the main thing is not to spend a big node on MED or SEN, and don't try to make Noel a mage or Serah a physical attacker. You can, it's just going to make the early game harder.