Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No because the original translation might have a couple of cool sounding lines but it's also a bad transition that barely makes any sense half of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Whereas WotL sounded like the local community theater club trying way too hard to ape Shakespeare.

Still better than a translation that's straight up wrong and bad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jokes posted:

FFTA and FFTA2 are excellent games (except for the law system, which FFTA2 fixes).

Name one problem with it (that isn’t character design)

The law system exists

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well the 'launcher trailer' has him doing a death flag monologue while the portraits of all the Scions except him appear on screen so uh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The CG intro to Chrono Cross was also really great for the time. Time’s Scar is a great track and it was really great at making you want to play more of the game.

Still not sure why Chrono is such an ignored franchise. I am Setsuna was supposedly a spiritual successor but it was god awful, just the worst jRPG I’ve played since Septerra Core. Why make dual techs require your characters be in specific positions if you have absolutely no ability to adjust their position?

FFXIV has a mount that looks quite a bit like the Epoch / Wings of Time and I guess some Zeal lookin islands, kind of. A few people like to say that Radiant Historia has Chrono vibes but I didn’t really get that.

Anyway I hope I get to kill chaos soon.

With absolutely no basis I'm just going assume that CT is one of those games that is much better remembered in the west than it is in Japan, like Earthbound.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually I thinks it's just a few people who don't think a 25 year old game is still the best the best the genre has to offer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Even at the the time it was considered lightweight fluff compared to FF6

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not the magazine I read :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good soup! posted:

If you weren't reading gamepro, egm, Nintendo power, insert the other one here I can't remember the name of? enjoy getting tackled at recess, bitch :cool:

Didn't get any of them in the UK also we don't call it recess

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And I was in college when CT came out lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well yeah, the Setsuna devs somehow got the idea that the thing people remembered fondly about CT was the combat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

multijoe posted:

We also didn't get Chrono Trigger on the SNES, so our magazines would have said extremely little about it at all!

Super Play and a lot of other magazines did import reviews, probably mainly because some months they wouldn't have a lot to talk about otherwise lol.

Can't remember if CT or Earthbound was the first game I imported.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Secret of Mana came out well before both

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Was SoM unfinished? I thought its issue was they had to cut content because of storage limitations on the SNES cartridges since they were originally designing it for a SNES CD add-on or something to that effect.

Probably not I just wanted in on the argument.

It was very hastily cut down causing poo poo like it being impossible to get all the weapon orbs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, only the final weapon orbs are rare drops in the last dungeon, two that should appear in chests in earlier dungeons just don't, I think the axe and something else, it's impossible to get all the orbs for those weapon. Although you can still get the final orb drops for them they'll always be one weapon level less.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well okay, I guess they just never dropped in the 20 hours I watched one of my friends farm the last dungeon for then lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pigbuster posted:

I don’t see how that could possibly be true for Earthbound considering Nintendo refuses to port its sequel to the west despite every single western fan begging them to.

A) Nintendo Japan had no idea Earthbound was as popular as it was until fairly recently b) it's a GBA game that would require effort to translate c) it has some dodgy bits that would be hard to localise out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's gone through at least three different devs and Matsuno, who was barely involved in the first place, has washed his hands of the project. The first chapter was released to backers on Steam but that's all that's been done since uh 2014?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Odd numbered games were always mechanics first story uh fourth until 7 ruined the system.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just make the Rage list customisable at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF12 sucks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mesadoram posted:

That actually looks pretty good...

I wish I didn't have to play it on a phone but maybe it'll get a console port like FF15 Pocket

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fister Roboto posted:

This is what you give up by not playing the original.

https://youtube.com/shorts/5XVeI2Dfr9o?feature=share

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Game too strong for the PSP battery.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I avoided these issues by playing in Japanese as always

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WaltherFeng posted:

I mean, unless you can walk into a store and buy a PS5 at a suggested retail price, this delay has no consequence whatsoever.

Spring announcement of a winter 2022 release possibly around the same time the chip shortage starts lessening but probably not lol

Fortunately I already have a PS5

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are they letting new people buy it at all yet?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

yeah i was worried theyd cut cait completely and just have reeve be a party member, glad they didnt go that route. i need hd cait sith.

Least he didn't look like the FF14 one....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Verviticus posted:

it was skipped in the list so i ask: whats the most moving/powerful moment in FFT

Getting constantly owned in Dorter Port City

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well there's Chocobo Racing but they're fixing that soon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

Please make Tactics more like Tactics Advance

No thanks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jokes posted:

You can turn on AI for your dudes in FFT. It’s a fun time, I did the same thing in Tactics Ogre where only the main character is controlled and everyone else is automatic.

It makes sense.

That was how the original SNES version worked by default afaik

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If something stinks it must be the Butz

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's a good point I should play Xenosaga next

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Those all own actually

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

FFXV's biggest crime is a boring as poo poo Gilgamesh

Don't even remember him being in it....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stabbing people

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's the least painful version of FF1 to play for someone who hates zero QoL NES RPGs?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wild Arms didn't come out in Europe until the end of 1998 at which point it looked positively archaic rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Technically sort of not FF but Secret of Mana has the orbs that referenced real Earth stuff, was never sure if that was an invention of the localisation or not though.