Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Is there anywhere there's a good breakdown of what jobs reflect the skillsets the characters would have had in the original, non-zodiac ff12?

I'm playing on PS5 so can't mod, but googling just gives a big list of what the jobs are, how it supposedly doesn't matter, what's most efficient for their starting stats, or how you can change it later. How much later? How many times? Do you get the points back? Do you have to buy new gear? How far in do you get the 2nd job?

Basically I started this game years ago, and then my bastard roommate skipped ahead a bunch, so I never finished it. I'd quite like to play the characters as close to how they were in the original, even if that's not the most efficient way of doing it.

I started and gave Vaan shikari because I feel like he was the thief, but then Penello joined and now I half remember her being the thief? Or maybe I'm confusing her with Rikku from FFX. Everyone says she has the stats to be a mage, but I don't remember that, I thought Fran was the mage.

I haven't even really started this game and it's driving me nuts already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Huh. I have no recollection of how it worked when I originally played it, so that's interesting to know.

I absolutely hate that the characters don't have predefined roles, but if that's the way it is, that's the way it is.

I remember Balthier using guns in cutscenes and Ashe occasionally using a sword but it's going to feel weird and inconsistent to me if they do that and I specced them as mage or whatever for the game.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I heard that, someone saying Balthier's gun animations in particular reduce his DPS?

Well I don't care. I want Han Solo voiced by Gideon Emery, and I don't care how that impacts my efficiency. :colbert:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't want it to be fun, I want it to be correct.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You know how you said you can't really gently caress up 12?

I noticed the first time you encounter Judge Ghis he opened his combat with a huge looking spell, so I figured it'd be best to avoid letting him cast anything. Found an item in my inventory that cast reflect on everyone, used it, went on to deal with the adds. Dealt with them, then felt like the combat against Ghis was going on a long time.

Turns out when you have reflect and a gambit set to heal you at 50%, you heal the loving boss instead. Ashe was merrily slinging cures his way while I was burning through my potions wondering why the fight was dragging on so long.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I am really beginning to hate the jobs system in 12.

It feels like with the combination of light / heavy / mystic armour, and strength / mp weapons, and ranged / melee, and 1h / 2h / offhand, and all the different boards that there is a 'right' answer for which jobs go well in combination and which characters they work best on.

But everyone I try to get Bushi working on just loving dies in a hot minute, and I seem to functionally only have one mage who is too busy healing and out of mana to actually cast any black magic.

Also, I know I'm judging a nearly 20 year old game but most of the storyline so far has been '...and you've been captured again.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm back at Rabanastre after the first temple with the dusk shard and yeah, it's a weird game that badly needs the speed multiplier, teleport crystals and the moogle fast travel system.

I just discovered the guildhall so that's why I'm banging my head against the wall with deciding on respecs. On top of that, if I change their jobs round it means I have to buy new gear, and the combat areas are so far from the shops.

I've wiped everyone's boards and saved by the west gate, so I can try out some stuff without it getting too annoying to have to go back each time.

It also suffers from the d-pad on the PS5 being really stiff and unresponsive (and you can't use the left stick either), so navigating back and forth through the menus is a complete ballache.

I feel like once I get past this hurdle I'll probably enjoy it, I'm just driving myself mad over perfectionism like I always do with RPGs.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vaan: shikari / monk
Light armour, shield & dagger

Balthier: uhlan / bushi
Heavy armour & katana

Fran: archer / red mage
Light armour & bow

Basch: knight / foebreaker
Heavy armour, shield & whatever

Ashe: black mage / time mage
Mystic armour & crossbow

Penelo: white mage / machinist
Mystic armour & gun

No you may not see my working.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's odd that you're sort of supposed to play it as 2 teams of 3 but the interpersonal links are in pairs. I have resolved this by deciding that Ashe hasn't really forgiven Basch, so he's following Vaan & Penelo and she's doing the Han Solo thing with Balthier.

Oh and I'm probably respeccing again. As much fun as powerkatana Balthier is as Bushi / Uhlan, I haven't actually managed to find any techniques on either of his boards yet. So basically all he has is 'hit things,' which he is admittedly very good at. Whereas Fran is desperately running out of gambit slots trying to magick everything.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

Is that about power or aesthetics, because archer is one of fran's worst classes
It might be referring to their 'canon' jobs, this spreadsheet from reddit tries to break them down in one of the tables:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasyXII/s/76ol0xZ6nG

The thing that annoys me about this is that all of the 'canon' links talk about how Ashe is a time mage in tactics (a different game), but one of the first cutscenes you see her in 12, she's fighting with a sword and shield.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Mercer is the new voice of Vincent, huh. Not a bad choice. We are far removed from those 2000s days when "Steve Blum is in everything" was a common joke. I can't honestly recall the last time I heard him in something, actually....
Speaking of VAs, i'm playing through 12 at the mo and I swear there is one of Balthier's reactions during his quickening that is a guy who sounds absolutely nothing like Gideon Emery saying 'great' or 'alright!'

They did this with the Shadow Man remake as well, where instead of Redd Pepper's very distinctive growl it's just some guy. I don't know if they lost the file and couldn't afford to get the actor in to record, but in both cases it's incredibly jarring because they both have such distinctive voices.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah they were on sale on PS as well at some point last month, but that's the first time I've seen them on sale.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Currently playing 12, played 10 & half of 10-2, best job is mime because

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 16, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Something I meant to ask about with FF12 is if anyone else found it very status-heavy compared with the others? I found from about Golmore Jungle onwards, every area seems to have a bunch of enemies that can stunlock half your party, or at least slow combat to a grind as everyone throws remedies at each other.

I'm at the point where I can fly to fortress Bahamut, but when I tried I got deadlocked for half an hour in the first room just curing various statuses or removing reflect from enemies. So I'm sort of wandering round exploring other areas trying to overlevel before going back in.

I've also found the license system really annoying (aside from the trouble I had earlier) because of how you buy the license for an ability, but you don't actually get it until you find it in a shop later. And there are some like Wither, Expose etc where you only get them if you go back through an absolute ballache of a dungeon again and find the hidden path.

Also kind of feels weird how there are so many abilities you get that seem like they'd be really useful, but by the time you get them everything powerful is immune to anything you'd want to use on it.

I would also kill for a 'foe:once' gambit, or at the very least if characters would stop trying disable / slow if they find out an enemy is immune to it. The nearest I got was 'enemy:hp>90%' but that is very vague targetying and still resulted a lot of time with my supports trying to disable/slow (or steal from) the one wolf nobody had hit yet while getting mauled by a t-rex.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I am having more fun with ff12 now I'm above level 50 and pretty much outlevelling everything.

I found Expose as well, which is really adding to the utility of the support characters like Tidus who were only previously useful if I needed money or everyone else is dead.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

There’s something off here… :thunk:
It's the same twink in a different shirt.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

12 includes andnis built around utilizing a scripting tool but the combat mechanics are barely above ff1 in levels of complexity in what you can do, especially in the version with classes to further limit options. It's a half thought out system where the bone something interesting is there but they don't iterate ordevelop on any of the ideas properly (Much like every other part of the game outside of some of the hunts).
I'm also playing 12 (zodiac), and it really feels like the gambit system could do incredible things if they added logic gates, or at the very least conditionals like 'once at the start of battle' or 'and stop trying if you find out they're immune.'

I believe I previously documented my descent into insanity trying to work out which jobs to assign which character.

Aside from that, there are way too many statuses, especially statuses like disease that you can only cure if you can remember which character has which remedy upgrades, or with an item you can get from one airship journey between two cities that I can't remember.

I swear I am enjoying this game, but as far as 'mechanics that almost work' goes, boy howdy is it a rich vein.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

I am reasonably sure that in TZA at the very least that characters are smart enough to not use elements that enemies are immune to automatically? At least that's what I remember.

The lack of a "once at start of battle" deal is kinda annoying yeah.
With magicks possibly, but I have definitely noticed elemental weapons / arrows / bolts / shot healing enemies mid fight.

My black mage has "foe status : oil > firaga" followed by "foe: fire-weak > oil" because sometimes you need to use backwards pushthroughs like that, but it means if they're fire weak & immune to oil she gets stuck trying and failing to lube them up.

It's so close to being a great system.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think I'm finished with 12. Everything left to do is something that, upon looking it up, I powerfully cannot be arsed to do.

I did get wither / addle / expose / shear eventually though, along with one ribbon. I'm also level 65, so off to fortress Bahamut to smash the patriarchy I go!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A secret third thing, etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-59sWasI98

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Always turn the controller speaker off. I learned this lesson playing the cyberpunk trial at 2 in the morning.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The speedup in ff12 was absolutely necessary with the amount of bullshit hunts that both started and ended at opposite ends of the map in zones with no nearby fast travel.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Also it allows you to beat Yiazmat in 30 minutes!
I beat Hell Wyrm and that's enough for me honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Remove all battles from RPGs. Why is everyone so violent, let's all be friends and chill.
You're describing a D&D game run by someone who's only ever played Mass Effect and watched later seasons of Critical Role.