Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Grevlek posted:

Fixed that for you. If it weren't for the four job fiesta, Five would be remembered as that one on the anthologies collection no one wanted to play.

Sure the job system is fun, but gotdamn if I'm not just mashing A thru every single story sequence. The best FFV4JF mod would be the one that removed all dialogue and scenes and just let you roguelike thru the game.

All ff story sequences are bad and deserve to be mashed through, that's why 5 is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mega64 posted:

The Woolsey translation for FF6 is definitely flawed and inaccurate (and I'm sure Woolsey would be the first to agree on that!) but drat did he have some banger lines.

I'm glad we have multiple translations of all the early games now so we can choose our favorite parts of certain translations and insert them into the most accurate translations.

Playing more legitimate translations of ff6 and being bored out of my mind made me realize just how much Woolsey did for that game

I dont know how true it is but I've heard 6 isn't quite as revered in Japan as it is here and I wonder if it has something to do with Woolsey's localization

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

jokes posted:

Final Fantasy needs to release their own console this is getting absurd, how many nintendos and Sonys do I need to patronize to get some of that sweet FF on-the-go

Steam Deck is going to be my dedicated FF machine— I’m gonna get all the final fantasies on it. Final Fantasy 1, Final Fantasy 2, the list goes on

Hell yeah brother

Then when I plow through 1-5 I'm going to install 11 on it and ruin my life like I'm 16 again

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I'm gonna try to play and finally beat FFV starting tomorrow! I'm gonna do a Four Job Fiesta too to make it spicier.

I got

Monk
Mystic Knight
Bard
Dragoon

Got any tips for me?

Thanks!

I could be misremembering but I think you have some nice synergy between monk (whose damage scales purely off of level) and Bard (who has a song that raises character levels gradually for the duration of a fight) which should let your unarmed brawlers hit like a truck on certain boss fights

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I'm gonna try to play and finally beat FFV starting tomorrow! I'm gonna do a Four Job Fiesta too to make it spicier.

I got

Monk
Mystic Knight
Bard
Dragoon

Got any tips for me?

Thanks!

Also maybe follow a guide to make sure you get all Bard songs as soon as they're available. There are some that trivialize fights or even entire dungeons (the undead damage song makes the world 3 pyramid in particular so much easier to deal with). Between spellblade and songs you can probably reasonably shutdown almost any fight with status effects. Dragoon is kind of the odd man out in this team, but dragoon usually doesn't synergize super well with other classes to begin with. Giving them a chicken knife and spellblade might not be a bad call for some situations

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Would love it if JRPGs were like 6-12 hours start to finish on the main scenario, randomizers and fiestas have legitimately ruined playing any of the original versions of the games for me

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

jokes posted:

If they could make FF12 but with FF11’s TP system and skillchains that would be a truly wonderful experience.

Or Chrono Trigger-style tech combos

Yesss

I find it very surprising they haven't returned to the skillchain/magic burst concept in a single player game. Or a single player vana'diel game. Square, you cowards, enough with ivalice, I want a gimmicky ninja yagudo party member

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Tonfa posted:

I made a new player guide for FF5PR

I pity anyone that doesn't get the satisfaction of coming to the spellblade/barrage/dual wield conclusion on their own

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Outside of Monk, Summoner, and Thief most High-end Job abilities suck. +10% MP? gently caress off.

I wish dualcast didn't require grinding out 999 on what might be the most aggressively mediocre implementation of red mage in the entire series

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't fathom playing FF6 without beelining for Mog and his no-encounters charm.

I'd be all up for a new retro JRPG, albeit with an encounter-slider, save-anywhere, free-respec, in-game checklist, no bullshit RNG for item-drops or item-creation, and maybe a boss-rush mode.

Playing so much FF1 Randomizer really makes me want something that combines all the best aspects of 1, 3, and 5 into something built from the ground up to be short and replayable. I agree that the Bravely series just comes up short, somehow

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Controversial opinion that is possibly bad: I think the PRs are so far the definitive versions of the games and are generally excellent. Also, I never liked any of the bonus content and thought they were cheap tack-ons onto already complete games in order to sell the various ports over the years. Going back and just releasing the OG versions is cool and good.

Agreed, I think the character sprites for the PRs are lovely and the bonus content was mostly filler trash that I won't miss. I wish the PRs included "classic" balance/gameplay options without having to mod them in, though. FF1 and 2 have lost a lot of what made their gameplay (for better or for worse) interesting with each post-PS1 release in favor of just blindly mashing the attack option in nearly every combat, and the PRs are so bad about that I can't feel like they're OG definitive versions even if I want them to be. If you don't have to keep mental track of how much damage each enemy has taken/will take because everything dies in one hit and the game will retarget enemies automatically, there's really not a whole lot to engage with there

FF1PR being so easy that it basically plays itself until you get to Chaos, who is leagues harder than anything in any iteration of FF1 ever, was kinda terrible

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Randallteal posted:

Thank You But No to: boss fights where the boss' parts all have to be destroyed at the same time or they regenerate

There are some fights in 14 like this and if you thought this was bad in a game where you control all of your party members imagine trying to get a group of illiterate teenagers to comply with the instruction of "STOP KILLING THEM THEY NEED TO ALL DIE AT THE SAME TIME WE'VE BEEN AT THIS FOR HALF AN HOUR"

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

Exdeath really loves being evil, maybe it’s not the most nuanced writing compared to some of the higher end FF antagonists but chewing scenery and being obviously evil is really an underrated villain niche.

Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber in Die Hard is a GOAT villain, but sometimes if I'm a little drunk I prefer Powers Boothe in the van damme knockoff, Sudden Death. There's no "maybe-this-is-justified-in-a-round-about-way" terrorism ruse, no 4th dimensional chess, no hinted backstory indicative of a potentially complex character, and his character's name isn't even revealed until you see it in the end credits. Dude just wants a billion dollars, doesn't blink at killing children/women/the elderly, and openly bloviates about being evil while chewing the scenery like it was built entirely out of Bazooka Joe. The only reason he's not twirling his mustache is because they made him shave it after leaving the set of Tombstone

Exdeath is Powers Boothe

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Gologle posted:

Alba singlehandedly drags a 6/10 game into a 3/10.

I cant even remember WHY I hated Alba because it's been so long since I played FFD but I agree whole heartedly with this

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

If you level Red Mage enough in Dimensions you get Spellblade, so that’s pretty neat

More versions of red mage need to get weapon enchantments as part of their kit, it's a perfect fit for them but I think only XI and Dimensions gave them that identity

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Harrow posted:

Yeah it's a great fit for a Red Mage identity and is something I think people suggested for a hypothetical Red Mage job in FFXIV before the current version (which is also great) was added.

FFXIV's Red Mage kinda has some of the aesthetics of weapon enchants--the whole point of the melee combo is that they have to put the excess aether from their dangerous method of spellcasting somewhere, so they put it in a blade and then stab it into their enemies--but not really the gameplay aspect. I guess it wouldn't make a ton of sense in FFXIV to have spellblade-style weapon enchants since elemental damage types are meaningless, though.

Yeah I liked that they at least made a role-playing nod towards it, even if it's not mechanically what most people are probably looking for when they want a spellblade class

I'm also surprised no version of FF1 has given red wizard access to SABR, thats as close as that game gets to the sort of weapon enchantments we consider today and it really feels like that spell should be a part of their kit

At one point I tried to make a romhack to give red mage access to a series of enchantment spells (ELIT, EFIR, EICE, etc) but I remember getting stuck because elemental properties were stored in memory somewhere completely different from where temporary in-battle buffs were. I've done a little more fiddling around with making some hacks since then (I took a concept of adding subjobs to the game to implementation and then got burned out by the data entry of all things) so maybe I could take a whack at that again

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Final Fantasy began as an unlicensed D&D adaptation, yeah.

I miss FF just being 80's anime D&D

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

FF2 is a slog to play but I honestly think it has one of the strongest "vibes" of the entire series, especially given the hardware it was produced on

I played through it unpatched without cheating on the NES exactly once and that was more than enough times. The whole system needs to be re-evaluated and re-implemented to make it good. Instead of doing that, most of the modern ports do away with things that make the combat more interesting (such as full back row melee protection for both enemies and allies) and keep a ton of the tedious parts so it's not much of an improvement

I always thought a point buy system would work really well for it- get traditional exp and spend your exp on stats/proficiencies/magic levels. It would mostly keep the same design intent in place since you'll probably use the skills you invest in, but I think it would remove a lot of the tedium of trying to build up skills from scratch later in the game or level up utility spells you don't need in every fight

The dungeon design is dogshit too

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

FF1 is really fun and one of the best games of the series.

Agreed and FF1 randomizer has made me want another FF1 style game real bad

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

jokes posted:

It’s just a very solid (if not profoundly on-rails) dungeon crawler. They could iterate on it very easily. Perhaps with some sort of “use things to get good at those things” system, and a more robust story? And if that doesn’t work, maybe flesh out the class system and return to the faceless protagonists?

I'd like to see faceless protags, an expanded class system (maybe not job changing, but possibly choices to be made around promotions), vancian spell casting, presentation that lands halfway between dreary CRPG and weebish JRPG (I feel like FF1 is one of the rare games that hits this mark), a story/plot you can ignore if you want to, slightly procedural/randomized dungeon layouts, speedrun QoL features, and quick to beat from start to finish so you can play around with the class system a bunch

FF1 randomizer honestly hits most of those beats, I kind of just want something new beyond that. If they adapted some of the systems from FFXI like the skillchain/magic burst system and the subjob system into a game like this I think it'd be a blast

Edit: face palm, I just realized what you did

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 11, 2021

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

jokes posted:

FF1 was a pretty good first attempt at putting DND into a video game. Your characters? Pick the classes, their backstory is all yours. Choose their names too, gently caress it. Why do they have these special crystals? Shut up and go with it.

Yea gimme another hit of that, square, you cowards

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

poo poo, they killed the main antagonist like, 20 minutes into the campaign. Gonna have to come up with some insane time travel plot to make this work now.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

2 is the equivalent of the DM having a proper session zero to make the characters a part of the world but he picked some hosed up off-brand system that requires you to roll on five different charts in order to see if you trip over your own shoelaces whenever you walk. He keeps getting a fourth player to join but when they see what a mess the system is they quickly leave and the DM kills their characters off in increasingly brutal ways out of frustration. Also he introduces his snake girl fetish out of nowhere half way through the campaign and is disappointed when the PCs don't play along

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

4 is a fairly competently run campaign but the party lead is a lawful stupid paladin who will still lend way too much trust to the main antagonist, a guy who's stabbed him in the back multiple times, and an annoying sex pest who watches too much anime. The two girls who decided to show up and create insanely broken multiclass builds get condescended to and flirted with endlessly.

5 is a table full of power gamers and the DM just cribs plot points from whatever Hanna Barbara cartoons he was watching while he was baked that morning. It's the best campaign anyone in the group has played in but no one will admit it

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

jokes posted:

Randos who come in and out played by a pretty cool player who knows a lot about how to play, but it didn’t help for what level they’re at— picked wizard to start because they know they’re the strongest but didn’t account for the low level when picking their class so it didn’t really help. They really commit to the characters and RP really well but ultimately gets bored of them fairly quickly and tries to kill them in exciting, heroic ways.

Despite playing a variety of memorable and fun characters, catches poo poo for the rest of time from the other players for playing an ineffectual bard and roleplaying him as someone appropriately grieving for his lost family, lover, and kingdom instead of wanting to immediately run to the next quest

Had an insanely busted late game build in mind for the bard but got fed up with having plastic spoons thrown at him and bailed on it early to bring back the wizard character

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 15, 2021

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

One of the characters was made early on and was even tied in to the other characters backstories, but poo poo kept happening and he was not able to join up until late into the campaign. The DM had even given up on him actually playing and so had turned the abandoned character into the main villain. But then suddenly heard he was coming back and still wanted to play his character. So the DM quickly brought back the old main villain they already killed to get them on the same side.

*45 minutes of frantic rifling through a 300 page dm guide, a 400 page phb, a 150 page splatbook, and 20 pages of printed errata later*

"OK FINE I guess you guys are right, that combination of spells DOES immediately turn any enemy you want into a frog. But come on this is like when you started socking each other in the face to get your HP up for an entire session, it's not in the spirit of the game. Treat me with some respect and I'll treat your characters with respect, ok?"

*sends party into the sixth monster trap room that night*

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

"After Minh Wu's tragic sacrifice, you have finally acquired the power of Ultima and are prepared to face the unholy emperor for a final showdown"

"Badass, where's the stat block for it?"

"Page 293, right after 'dual wielding' but before 'badger speak'"

*5 minutes of scribbling calculations and looking through a 13 page character sheet later* "according to this I'd do more damage hitting enemies with my staff"

"Um... it's an ancient spell and just because something is old doesn't mean it's good. Moving on..."

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Blue Labrador posted:

My neighbor who I play games with brought up that his wife is looking for an RPG to play. She's been super into Skyrim recently, but I guess the real-time element of the combat stresses her out, so he wondered if I had any turn-based recommendations to give. I asked if she preferred story or gameplay, and he answered the former, so I said she should try FF6, 9, or X.

Are those fair suggestions? For someone relatively casual, are one of those better than the other? Should I have suggested 4?

Those seem like good calls, I don't know if I'd recommend 4 up front to anyone who didn't grow up with it or its contemporaries. I grew up with 4 being my absolute favorite and I'm firmly of the opinion that its story/characters/gameplay are more iconic than actually good

I think I realized on my last playthrough that there isn't a single dungeon in that game that doesn't annoy the poo poo out of me

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

Hm, is that screen of Terra casting magic confirmation that the spell effects are like the other PRs and are not FF6's old favorites? (Haven't played another PR been waiting for this one)

Thatd be a bummer, the effects in 1-5 are pretty forgettable but even with 6 being my least played 2d game (I don't think I've even finished it) its effects are super memorable

That said, now I want to make a mod for 1 PR that just replaces every spell animation with different colored sparkly explosions

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Hellioning posted:

I got a good feeling! The people of Ivalice had l i t t l e m o n e y. Blame yourself or god.

There, you have heard the good lines from the original translation and can now play the one that doesn't mistranslate 'breath' as 'bracelet'.

Not gonna lie I do sometimes miss some of the cool sounding nonsense that came out of bad translations like Fire Bracelet and Merton and Climhazzard

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

XI's big moment was when you finally roll high for byakko's haidate

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Spring announcement of a winter 2022 release possibly around the same time the chip shortage starts lessening but probably not lol

Fortunately I already have a PS5

I was all psyched that I scored a PS5 direct from Sony until it came in and I realized there's nothing I care about on it right now and I basically bought a really expensive 4k bluray player. I should probably grab the FF7 remake but I still have 4 more pixel remasters to beat

Currently playing VF5US on it, which is a port of a 10+ year old fighting game which ran perfectly fine on PS4 and the fancy new controller sucks rear end for it so I'm still using the DS4

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Not going to lie.

I'd enjoy a Stranger of Paradising of all the games in the series.

"Cecil, take this package t-"
"Whatever. *marches out while buttrock plays.*"

Tbh this would better align his personality to what I feel is the best characterization of dark knights in the entire series: 14 year old DRK mains in FFXI circa 2004

The nu metal quotes in the average dark knight's weapon skill macros still make me laugh today

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

Thats just Yakuza 8 with poorly photoshopped FF logo.

poo poo you're right, are any of these legitimately from FF17?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

cirus posted:

Come on now!

"My name is Butz. Seymour Butz"

Thatd explain his behavior at the library

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Celebrity Ghost posted:

For a brief moment fighting games were heading in that direction; I was part of like 3 separate discords because there was one room for each character plus the main game itself, all split into subchannels. There were messages pinned in various channels, usually linking to Youtube videos or Twitter messages, Google Docs or Evernote, so it was worse than the info all being hard to look up, it was also spread into a million formats that may or may not be there later. It was awful and I'm glad wikis became the standard again. I can only assume it became that way because wikis do require someone to cough up money for hosting and a bit of actual organization.

Just to make this post about Final Fantasy, all this talk about FFT is making me want to get my hands on a copy and play it again. Is there a good guide on how to break the game, as people were discussing? I played it once back in high school and pretty sure I just grinded XP/JP in random battles by bonking my own guys, but with no real focus or direction.

I'm glad FFXI predated discord because it was hard enough to understand that game with two competing full blown wikis, an allakhazam sub-site, and multiple dedicated forums

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

GameFAQs isn't what it used to be either. There are almost no guides for modern games and almost none of the old guides ever got updated.

When I was playing FF5PR I went there a couple times looking for strats to beat bosses that were giving me trouble. I had to look at 3 or 4 different guides before I found what I needed because even the highest rated guides were written by morons who make sure to tell you that every boss fight is actually super easy and you're a moron for not instantly knowing the trick or weakness to exploit.

So many of them are super unhelpful and are like "this is the weird unintended way I stumbled through the fight and I didn't bother to learn any other ways to beat it" or "I beat this boss by leaving and grinding levels and brute forcing it".

Just the worst poo poo ever. Speaking of which, wasn't there a "worst game FAQ" thread at some point? I seem to remember reading some galaxy brain poo poo that people were making fun of.

At least one top rated guide for every Final Fantasy will suggest you grind your party members to be 10 to 15 levels higher than you reasonably need, without fail

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Irony and cynicism is dead. I cannot wait for this game that clearly had 120% of the dev’s goofy excitement put into it.

Mordiceius posted:

Stuff is better when the creators are excited for the creation - case in point: FFXIV.

There was a recent release of a movie that came out of a production company happening upon a bunch of unedited film reels from 1984 labeled "New York Ninja", no script and no audio assets. They spent two years trying their best to authentically fill in the blanks (including hiring period appropriate voice actors to do ADR) and the end result is really enjoyable. The producers talked about how excited they were to effectively be working on a 1980's film in the current day, and it shows. I was worried that they would try to get a little too wink and nudge and ruin the magic, but the entire thing was made with a love of the genre and there's not a drop of irony or cynicism in there beyond what the original producers threw in

Strangers of Paradise feels like the video game equivalent of that, only if instead FF1 never came out and someone stumbled on a bunch of jumbled notes from Nasir and a couple of scribbles from Amano on a cocktail napkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

As soon as something gives the "wink wink nudge nudge," the creator is basically saying "this is stupid and anyone who genuinely likes it has bad taste." It's just straight condescending.

When a story gives the "wink wink nudge nudge," it is either going to go too far and be condescending/offensive, or it is going to pull its punches and not commit. (Or both)

Imagine if John Carpenter and Kurt Russell pulled their punches for Big Trouble In Little China.

Imagine if Rocky Horror basically spoke to the audience and said "This is ridiculous, right?"

I think there was a time and place where wink/nudge, self-reference, and deconstruction was genuinely refreshing but I'd love it if we went back to sincerity in genre films. It's so played out that I don't even want to catch a whiff of a character even remotely acting like they know they're in a movie unless that's the premise, and unfortunately a lot of dialog in modern stuff seems to be written in an intensely self-aware or audience-aware way. As someone who genuinely enjoys trash B movies, this dearth of sincerity has really deprived us of new, obliviously directed so-bad-its-good movies over the last 20 years and it bums me out

Luckily Jack seems to be written as the least aware person in existence