Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

FFVII rebirth has no right looking this good, now I have to burn cash on a PS5? :sweatdrop: the last time I bought a sony console purely for a FF game was with XIII 14 years ago, and, well, that didn't turn out brilliantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

Assuming Rebirth doesn't stray too far from what made 7R so good, it's going to be pretty good.

everything between getting out of Midgar and Cloud falling into the lifestream are the absolute best parts of the original game, so even with some segments maybe getting really stretched out like in Remake, it’s probably gonna own

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I don’t want a remake of FFIX, because I’m not sure the aesthetic of the game could translate as easily into FFVIIR-style 3D as, well, VII could.

even the FMVs in that game felt a bit jarring to me at times compared to the in-game graphics.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the thought of a super detailed and rendered Conde Petie kind of tickles my fancy in some way, same with Lindblum and the Iifa tree

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mandoric posted:

Where the hell are you getting Gau from, Kimahri's ability is literally Ronso Rage

This is what I mean, you're just permanently making up poo poo so you can yell that I'm making up poo poo about something I said was vague to begin with :psyduck:

small ronso

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the whole enemy type pairing to characters system was kind of dogshit in my opinion, in theory I can see how they thought it would encourage you not to get tied to just a few characters, but in practice all you ever met was birds (waka), armoured enemies (auron) and quick enemies (tidus, because khimari sucks). and every now and again you swap either one for those for magic or riku. it was so lame

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

have david hayter do squall in his solid snake voice

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

irvine being unbelievably cocky when you first meet him, only to freeze up and panic when it was time to do his work, was such a realistic depiction of teen hood

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I kind of want to give XVI a shot once I get a PS5 (soon!), and even though I skipped XV, and tried + fell asleep to the first episode of an LP of it, I almost want to maybe give that one a shot too?

should I, or should I just skip XV altogether if I absolutely hated XIII?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

and its gameplay is so tedious and poorly designed

false

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the very first time i beat FFIX, i thought necron came out of nowhere like an ex machina thing, but that was also very much on me, since it was at the tail end of me being awake for over 26 hours straight (i was an idiot teenager at the time). it all clicked when i played the game again later on without sleep deprivation affecting my attention span and reading comprehension

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Just completely ignored the junction system as a dumb kid on my first play through. Somehow made it to Adel, but kept wondering why everyone but Squall was still only doing 200 damage lmao

it makes abusing the cards, and item/magic synthesis skills etc that much more satisfying when you replay it later on. that one boss who kicked your rear end way back when because you were grinding levels? have fun getting three-shot because we’re level 9 technically

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

FFX is kinda different, because the world has been kind of in a death spiral since as long as people knew it? There's no 'oh man the apocalypse is upon us', it's more 'yeah the world is slowly getting worse, isn't it'. There's no giant catastrophic event, it's just people slowly getting shorter periods of peace.

sin literally wipes out entire villages when it appears, how is that not a series of catastrophic events. there’s a big reason why almost every single settlement is a ramshackle shantytown apart from the resident temple

ulvir fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 5, 2023

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i could swear there’s some arcade or something in the background somewhere in FF8, but i might be misremembering

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

every quest is a series of fetch quests. there’s open world stuff. to progress the story and beef up you need to go down into a series of tombs. the world feels surprisingly empty.

final fantasy XV is the skyrim of final fantasies (despite not being a faux medieval setting)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I killed a behemoth for a side quest in FFXV yesterday, and I have got to give the game props for possibly being the first FF game to truly make that beast big and imposing enough to be worth its name.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

FFXVI has a pretty good behemoth fight too. So does FF7R in fact

forgot about remake’s behemoth here. I think there’s something about the buildup to the fight in XV that really adds to the atmosphere, in a bigger way than just going through some tunnels while you hear the occasional roar

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

is every single sidequest in XV that's not a hunt just a fetch quest? i've not even finished chapter three, and that bit's already really tedious

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

an FFVIII remake must once and for all answer the question I think all of us were left with when we finished the game: what was the melody of Selphie’s train song?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I mean, encounterNone is like right there on the first page of the list of skills you can learn from diablos, that you fight by interacting with the lamp the game not so subtly hands you for your mission while saying “try using this, it could really really add to your power” before your very first SeeD mission. that should tell you that random encounters are actually completely optional and that the correct way to play is to try to avoid them all together. combine that with getting an automatic influx of gil every ten minutes

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ManSedan posted:

If there were a VIII Remake I'd want the Garden campus to be HUGE. Dozens of classrooms with the walls detailed with everything from elementary school age colors and posters all the way up to stuffy college lecture halls. A gigantic library and expansive dorms with different zones of kids hanging out. Multiple tiered parking lot. Of course the admin floors would be just as detailed as the classrooms and dorms. Just give me a whole huge school full of character and history. And then make it fly later.

Of course all the rest of the locations would be like four little zones each but who cares? Make Garden a place to really love.

delling, timber and esthar (but gently caress the empty highways) are also right up there in terms of locations that really needs to be expanded in that way in a hypothetical remake

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that sword is thankfully not connected to the viewer ratings, only rufus’ joy%

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair Laguna got elected president because he shot an evil witch into space and forced her to watch cheesy movies, the worst he could find.

hell—o I’m the sorceress, and I remember it so you don’t have to!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Yep. Of course Cloud reminded Aerith of Zack, but she could also tell there was a whole other person underneath that. And she genuinely cared for that person, the real Cloud, and wanted to push him and see him grow.

It makes it all the more horrifying when his instability blows up in her face at the Temple of the Ancients, and she decides to peace out. I know the game on the surface spells out that she feels like she has a mission to complete by herself during the forest dream sequence, but I can’t help but also extrapolate that she doesn’t feel safe around Cloud anymore, and that he might actually be a liability. That “I might have to give up on you” sentiment after spending so long being nothing but supportive to Cloud.

I’m probably adding subtext that actually isn’t there, but I think it speaks highly of how well done the character interactions in FFVII actually are. Everyone feels extremely human and nuanced, despite them being glorified Lego people. And Remake did a bang up job translating that over.

if that scene, or a really similar scene, is there in the remake, it’s probably going to be a lot more brutal emotionally. i’ve always felt the same as you here, even when I first played it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

Are...are we pretending that the catholic church wasnt a dominant force in the culture of europe at the time? Uh okay then

you cannot take a cultural concept that’s very much rooted in a modern capitalist ecology and apply that to the late medieval period.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

and I think the Siren GF gives the card ability, which turns a critically damaged enemy into a card. this only grants AP, combining that with abusing card/item refine can make you get really powerful items and magic that you can use to junction and even get Squall’s ultimate weapon before you even progress the story after the Dollet mission you’re on

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Sure makes grinding AP from Cactuars really easy if you wanna do that. The fact he can't ever miss EVER ikinda kills the Cactuars' whole gimmick.

See, I only ever got the Punishment (the second strongest gunblade) before Timber. I didn't think you could get the Lionheart that fast. I forget everything you need or how to get it... I'm pretty sure you needed Energy Crystals and you could get them from Elmoyle cards but they were super, super rare. I played an insane amount of Triple Triad at the start one run and never got enough cards for an Energy Crystal. And as I said, I forget everything else you need but I felt like they were items you had to go actually go out into the world to get, although it was possible to get it all on Disk 1.

you might be right, but still, the second strongest immediately and ultimate after the very first SeeD mission is nothing to sneeze at

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it's pretty sad how burnt out FFIX left Uematsu, imagine how good FFX's soundtrack could have been :sigh:

they pulled everything they had on To Zanarkand theme and that vocal ballad du jour, and made literally the entire rest of the soundtrack insipid and uninspired

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

SettingSun posted:

What is this nonsense X's whole suite of music is great

any track that's not a leitmotif of the two mentioned tunes are just forgetable muzak

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

always save scum, and make sure you get open and all passed as rules if you haven’t already

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Arist posted:

If anyone can manage it, it's Kimahri

at least he can self-destruct

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

FF games did push the envelope for a while. FF13 also looked *way* better than pretty much all PS3 games for a long time, despite being (IIRC) a launch release.

XIII suffered from loads of delays just like XII, and was released like three years after the PS3 launched

it still looked a lot better than a lot of other JRPGs at the time though (but not as good as Eternal Sonata or Tales of Vesperia :colbert:)

ulvir fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 27, 2023

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say FF13 looked at least as good as those, it was just going for a different art style. Its animation work was a ton better than Eternal Sonata at least, even if ES looked fantastic in screenshots.

the distinctive style and use of colours works in ES favours, but when compared to games like last remnant or resonance of fate, XIII has them beat without question

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

God drat, 3 years? My memory is so hosed up lol.

I think it initially was supposed to be a launch title though, wasn’t it?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

I forget, how far in is the first boss that you can actually lose to in FF10?

the seymour fight on mt gagazet

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

holy loving poo poo, http://www.icybrian.com still exists, with the exact same design from the 90s

I’m embarrassed to admit how often I would check this site in like 1998-99 just to see if there was some new fanart up

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

on the upside you can turn worthless small ronso khimari into a suicide bomber

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

boosting GFs was oddly satisfying when I first played VIII. I don’t remember any of the GF animations honestly because I only hyper focused on that little hand indicator to not mess up the number, and then went for the “abuse card, refine and junctions while savescumming card battles” route on subsequent playthroughs

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

booted up rebirth. from a cursory glance, it’s kind of difficult to see whether the graphics really improved that much over the PS4 pro, but then again we don’t have a 4k tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

With Rebirth (like with a lot of modern games) the difference is in what can be displayed rather than how good it looks. Remake only looked as good as it did (even ignoring the Bad Textures) because it used a lot of small confined areas with frequent loading times, whereas Rebirth is full of wide open areas you can explore at will with minimal to no loading time.

the performance bit certainly feels more fluid. i’ve barely started the climb up nibelheim in chapter 1, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there would be loads of loading screens between the very start and that point on an older gen