Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Apparently I have to now clear 6 series in order to unlock another? Whoops. At least FF2 won't take long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I realize people haven't had time to figure out the meta yet, but it certainly seems that a variety of party members is necessary for some levels whereas Curtain Call you had a "perfect" party of who had the highest STR in your party which for me was Cloud, Paine, Auron and... someone else I can't remember, same for FMS.

This at least has different scenarios / weaknesses to mix up the parties a bit.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

very cool that you can have Rinoa #1 and Rinoa #2 in your party

Can't believe you cut off the fact that Rinoa leveled to 69.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ignis's Regroup also heals 50% of hp when you fall below 15%, but also reduces damage taken so in some cases it might be better than a full heal.

Regroup was the most useful ability in XV so this checks out!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's the fastest way to grind? I'm going between getting a very good treasure hunting party (Locke, Zidane, Prompto and I guess Yuffie) and just farming items like crazy so I get a bunch of exp eggs. I've been peanut butter spreading different characters through story mode so I haven't been getting a lot of the quests that involve killing the boss (especially if they have double HP / other buffs), but I got plenty of time to complete those :)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Looking at the songs for the Mana track is disappointing. No Hightension Wire from Trials, missing Tell a Strange Tale from Secret (but the boss music is in there which is, uhhhh not great). At least we get Hometown Domina.

The Chrono pack looks fantastic though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I was looking for this the other day, is there a listing for each pack already?

https://www.polygon.com/guides/23601098/final-fantasy-theatrhythm-final-bar-line-song-list-track-list-dlc-deluxe-vs-standard

This probably has it organized the best.

Edit: there could be more than what's listed for DLC. This is only what's *confirmed*

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The Mt Gulg track is from like an anniversary album of some sort.

It's from the mobile versions that were released prior to the pixel remasters.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Theatrhythm help: Anyone on Playstation have a good summoning stone that is pure magic boost? Would love three 15%s, but could take anything.

I have a Levi with three +30% item find, and a KotR that's three +30% summon damage to share too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Boy of Joy posted:

I’ve got a triple magic + 15% Odin summonstone I can give ya, the KOTR one you’ve got sounds nice! Hit me up on PSN: Boy_of_Joy

Hopefully sometime tomorrow we can exchange proficards

EDIT: actually the Levi item find one is good to, turns out I don’t have a triple item +30% yet!

A couple pages back but I'll add you tonight after work!

Edit: can't seem to find you when I search you. Try searching me, psn is same as my SA username.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 17, 2023

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

jokes posted:

FF12 gameplay is great, one of the best! Wish they iterated on it for FF13 but WHATEVER

I wish they made a xenoblade game with the FF12 gambit system.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Boosting Cloud up to Bahamut was like the one bit of screen time most of the extended party gets in Advent Children that I remember. That movie could've been so much cooler if it had been another smaller adventure with the squad. Instead we have Sephiroth somehow maling children and also Cloud is still hosed up even though he processed his trauma by loving Tifa while the rest of the cast watched in the game.

Let's be a little clear about what happened here!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ytlaya posted:

IMO the latter parts of FF15 (except for the ring part)

They actually added significant buffs to this part to make it easier.

It also makes adamantoise extremely trivial.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The latter half of FF5 is the cast wanting to kill Exdeath after he murders Galuf. It's just already aligned with their other plans too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Crisis Core remake question: I've been going through some FAQs and a lot of the guides say "use graviga" but I use it against an enemy and it's ineffective. Did they add a bunch of immunities in the remake? I just use costly punch in the end but would love a magic way hit the 99k mark.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

i seldom got any use out of gravity, but i don't think there were any nerfs to elemental resistances in the remake, just to costly punch itself (it takes ten times more hp to use than the original)

Costly punch is still OP, I just need to figure out with an adaman bangle how to get to 99,999 HP.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I beat ff4 pixel remaster and overall enjoyed it. Definitely easier than any version prior. Only boss that gave me any issue was dark elf / dark dragon because of him turning me into pig and now status spells now have extremely low accuracy, and I didn't have any diet food. I even fought lunar bahamut for the ragnarok underleveled, his initial mega flare killed everyone but Kain and I still finished the fight.

Other assorted thoughts:

- Arrows no longer being single use is great. Rosa and Rydia did significant damage with Artemis arrows and I only swapped out for other weapons during boss fights.
- Using Tellah at any point is just *awful.* It's constant MP management and hoping to God he doesn't get nuked with a single hit, even in back row.
- aforementioned status spells having low accuracy - what the hell? Surely if I'm in toad I should be able to cast toad on myself to... untoad myself. Also, can't tell if Edge's steal rate was reduced or if he was always lovely.
- the GBA / PSP version is still the best just for the additional endgame stuff they add.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

Casting toad on yourself to un-toad definitely works both in combat and from the menu. Sure you weren't silenced as well?

It casts but usually misses you. With pig I probably cast it on myself 4 times as Tellah during the Dark Dragon fight and it missed every time. In menu its 100% but only way to guarantee it doesn't miss in combat is using diet food / maidens kiss, etc.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
After burning myself on that gacha mana game I could use a real mana game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I grinded the missions so hard I had Zack extremely OP when I went into the story fights and could one shot most bosses with a 99k costly punch. But yeah I burned out badly.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The smartest character in FF6 is Celes. She became a general for the Imperial army at age 18, and figures out on the fly how to be an opera singer to convince an audience she's a famous singer. She led the effort to sneak into Vector to rescue Maduin, and the idea to take down Kefka in the World of Ruin arguably starts with her.

Bongo Bill posted:

Squall is book-smart and a clear-headed, decisive leader, though he lacks a certain emotional intelligence.

In a similar vein, he's adept at picking up new things if he puts his mind to it, like dancing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand she believed her notgrandpa when he told her people were throwing themselves off a cliff to cheer themselves up!

I don't really think she believed him. Cid watched everyone else on the solitary island die, then is dying himself and has clearly lost it. If / when he dies, Celes basically realizes she's alone and decides life isn't worth living, only to see a bird with a bandana that looks like Locke's, which gives her the will to live again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mega64 posted:

It's a joke since the US version went with that line to cover up the whole "attempted suicide" angle.

Which worked on my dumb rear end, to be fair, as I didn't know the scene was meant to be that until years later.

Oh, yeah, same. 7 year old me did not realize she was attempting suicide, and the 'perked em right up' is definitely a Nintendo content thing / Woolsey-ism.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'd say the only real part of rebirth of ''content" that's a real fuckin drag is the field research for Chadley. Sure, "you can skip it" but there's some real fuckin nice materia Chadley has for you for doing it. Also, the Gongaga region blows. Cosmo Canyon and Nibel regions are cool, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Also, in the OG FF7, the flashback to Zack's final stand is optional and kind of out of the way to find it. You can only see it in disc 2 after Cloud gets better from his mako poisoning and head back to the Shinra Mansion.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ApplesandOranges posted:

Do you get anything for having Remake data when you start Rebirth? I already played Remake but it was on the PS4, so whenever I start Rebirth it'll probably be on the PC.

You get an extra summon, 2 extra if you have the Yuffie DLC.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
FF7's storytelling is fantastic, as a kid the only thing I didn't quite get was how Cloud got Zack's abilities, which I guess is explained through mako poisoning and trauma and the Sephiroth going around the world loving stuff up isn't actually him, but a Jenova clone / copy. both pieces are better explained through additional media of crisis core and advent children. But overall the story beats aren't much different than 6, instead of a group of rebels you're a group of eco activists taking down an empirecapitalist megaconglomerate, refocusing on the effort on the supersoldier created that has become an existential threat to the world.

The remake portions giving a lot of color to small details, like making Aerith and Tifa best friends when it appeared they were somewhat adversarial in the original. Also stuff like the gi, the gongaga reactor, etc. is all great stuff.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've settled on a Barrett / Yuffie combo. Barrett tanks / heals, then I give Yuffie enemy skill and mug, electrical discharge and mug, which restores ATB when it connects. Then basically yuffie just starts blowing up everytime she fills an ATB gage.

You can also use synergy skills with it and have someone cast skills over and over (like Aerith - throw her into arcane and radiant wards, and she will constantly cast whatever spell you sync to it, with radiant ensuring her spell wont be interrupted).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Scalding Coffee posted:

It was Gilgamesh this whole time. Why? Gilgamesh!

The GBA / mobile version adds Gilgamesh as an esper who was captured by the empire but escapes. You can fight him as a summon by betting the excalipoor, and beating him, he will entrust himself to the party as magicite.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I know it's a common refrain to hate Chadley but I didnt mind him that much.

Now, MAI on the other hand is super fuckin annoying yelling at me through my controller.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

jokes posted:

I like that FF7R has Tifa and Aerith become fast friends, almost entirely because they get to more effectively gently caress with Cloud and make him do poo poo for them. Like, the dude is certified insane and broke-brained so it's actually kind of funny that they look at him and they're like "you're going to have to carry our poo poo for us by the way"

I read a developer interview that upon looking back at OG FF7 they realized it appeared like Tifa and Aerith didn't appear like they were friends, which wasn't the intention so they dialed up the friendship a lot in rebirth. It's definitely a high point in the game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The speedup in ff12 was absolutely necessary with the amount of bullshit hunts that both started and ended at opposite ends of the map in zones with no nearby fast travel.

Also it allows you to beat Yiazmat in 30 minutes!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Alxprit posted:

The avoidability of Chrono Trigger's mobs is greatly exaggerated.

Wait till you do the extra dungeons in the DS / mobile versions.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Running through the black omen multiple times to see the different endings and knowing exactly how many filler fights I would be forced into was not a fun time.

Also random encounters are fine you people are babies.

The extra dungeons added in the DS version has fixed encounters you're forced to go through are so bad. You have a walk to go through each time there and back (of which you have to do multiple times) and the encounters aren't even that hard, but don't give any good drops in terms of exp or items (or things to charm) which at least with the black omen you got these things. It's just awful unfun filler.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I appreciate abilities to reduce / remove encounters as well as turn them up. In other words, FF7 does this best with enemy encounter materias, or the moogle charm or the diablos ability.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Thinking about sequel potential:

FF1: Not really unless you want the warriors of light to return, which, ehhhh
FF2: Maybe Firion and Maria had a child or something. Soul of Rebirth was a decent look at the afterlife starring the dying characters, so I'll count it.
FF3: See FF1. XIVs crystal tower series serves as a pseudo sequel.
FF4: we got TAY.
FF5: Send Krile on an adventure and have her reunite with friends along the way. Decent potential.
FF6: arguably the best given the number of characters. Locke / Celes, Relm, Gau, and Terra as a human are all worthy plots.
FF7: are advent children and dirge of cerberus not enough??
FF8: the characters are all young enough to do a follow up but given it's like FF1 and they stopped the time loop you'd have to do a different type of conflict, wouldn't count on it.
FF9: Give good Kuja his own game. I think Zidane / Garnet wrapped up nicely.
FF10: got 10-2.
FF12: got Revenant Wings.
FF13: got 13-2 and Lightning Returns!
FF15: considering the ending you'd have to find entirely new characters in that world. Highly unlikely.
FF16: those kids at the end? Give em a story.

Basically your best bets are 5 and 6.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The FF6 crew barely had enough character for the very thin writing in the WoR. THere's not much more there to evolve.

I'd argue the opposite. Small plot there meant you have opportunity to go anywhere for a sequel.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Just a regular, normal name FF characters power ranking:

1. Jack
2. Tina
3. Clive
4. Sarah
5. Ultimecia

Don't forget David "Dave" the daemon hunter.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like Mog gets a shoe in for best moogle because he's playable and gets use of one of the best relics exclusively. Stat wise he's bad but it makes him a good template to either turn him into a strength moogle or a magic moogle if you're willing to invest.

Best non FF6 moogles:
Montblanc
Stiltskin
Krile's moogle friend
The SoM moogles
Mog from ff7, the only moogle who canonically gets laid
Chocobo and Moogle summon
Nektar
Good King Moogle Mog
MiniMog, the triple triad card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Started Stranger of Paradise on PS5 and good lord what is going on with the cutscene graphics

Also, what jobs are good? I read magic ruled somewhere so I've been swapping between warrior and mage, but got a lance and a gun too.