Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

jokes posted:

Is TAY any good? I get extremely conflicting reports

its mid. picks up a lot in the last chapters when people start coming together but woof, its a bit of a slog.

i hope you like the underground waterway near damcyan and barons underground waterway because you're going to be going through each of them a half-dozen times

i'm playing FF4 3D right now and hunting the rare tail drops and summons. got 4/4 summons and 5/6 tails. grinding red dragons is a pain in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Is there any benefit to all this rare tail hunting?

Are the summons a pain in the rear end to collect?

not particularly. i'm playing on android, but you trade in the tails for some rare equipment at the tail guys place near mythril island. red, blue, green, yellow, and black get you the onion sword + gear, the pink gets you the adamant armor. its some of the only stuff that carries over into ng+. i'm doing it for the cheevo collection and then never again.

yes very. the summons/tails have a .02% drop rate (.04 with the treasure hunter augment.) they're not good or necessary for anything, but again, cheevo collection.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

finished FF43D and just wrapped up the optional bosses in FF4 TAY. kinda lame they took out omega/shinryu etc. and made the optional bosses just "lunar" recolors of odin, leviathan, and bahamut. the final bosses 3D model is loving hilarious looking at least. weird game.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

Omega and Shinryuu were FFV bosses, not FFIV bosses.

i know that. they were also bosses in the wii/psp versions of after years.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Omega_(The_After_Years)
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Nova_Dragon_(The_After_Years)

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

*hank hill voice* i got a narrow aerithra yes i do

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

BD was okay but i loved BS. it was everything from the first but more. dont have a switch so i cant comment on BD2

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i'm gonna do it, i'm gonna start a ff13 replay. i haven't played it since it came out

then once i get through 13-2 i'll finally play lightning returns for the first time

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

I decided to hunt the info down myself:

For XIII-2 (which is excellent, BTW) install the cut content mod and leviathans tears before you start playing, it resets your save.

oh man, i really appreciate you tracking this down but i'm playing on console. sorry!!

at least the info is out there for anyone else thinking of taking the plunge

last time i played this was on a 32" tube tv so wow does it ever look good on a modern one lol

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

just got to the fifth ark in FF13. that first barty fight when they finally take the gloves off kicks so much rear end. the visuals are so well done sometimes i forget i'm on the ps3 and think it might be a ps4/xbone era game.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

No Dignity posted:

So I've been trying to clear The Extreme on Ultimate since saturday, I've still not managed it yet but the grind has got me from not being able to clear any high tempo combat tracks on Ultimate to getting A+ ratings on nearly everything else first try, I think this is progress?

The Secret (™) to every game you get stuck on is to come complain about it on here while you practice and you'll inevitably beat it. it happened to me when i got stuck on leviathan in FF7R, when i got stuck on Artorias in DkS, and so forth. its like a cosmic computer reboot. hope you kick the extremes rear end!

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The other secret is just go to sleep. take a nap. Come back the next morning and one shot it easy.

very true too. a fresh mind and hands will do you wonders, especially if you've been at it for a while

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

would leon from FF2 count

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

that wasn't final fantasy that was nier iirc

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

They covered up his sideboob and rear end

never forget what they took from us....

these schoolmarm westerners can't handle hot man rear end. Sad!

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i haven't played yet is that a neutral stick position or a press in the joystick note?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

finally playing lightning returns for the first time. it kicks rear end! big fan of how they've worked around the battle system, and i get so much ep from fights i barely notice the clock and i'm only on day 2 lol. good stuff

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Barudak posted:

Word is someone is playing good game FFXIII?

just did a replay of the 13 series to prepare for my first time through lightning returns and it hit better than the first time. enjoyed 13 and 13-2 but LR might go down as one of my favorite FFs ever at this rate. its real good

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

having recently played lightning returns for the first time and absolutely loved it, lightning kicks rear end

talking about the mysteries of tiny sheep creatures breeding while dressed in a plum suit with aviators ftw

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

the additional content in FFV was fine because it gave you big idiot superbosses to play with your broken job combos on

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Mega64 posted:

What, you don't think this was good enough?

:trumppop:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

rights for game engines or tools are usually hashed out long before announcements

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

my fingers hovered over the install button on that game numerous times but GaaS is such a turn off to me that i always stop

which is a shame because i heard it has some fun interactions between characters and as far as live-service games go isn't that bad

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

the magic boosts also make his blue magic marginally more useful then they usually are (not very)

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i think its real bad and the pixel remaster was a breath of fresh air

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I don't know, I think if your game is not fun it isn't good.

:hmmyes:

also it was made by the 11 guy? no wonder

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

In the original version there were some, like the Genji Gloves, but the enhanced versions added other ways to get those.

yeah they made getting a lot of stuff easier. on the same vein they also made some hard to obtain items stealable. i think i stole one of the higher level daggers i never got in the original because it requires a rare drop from a rare enemy

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

hooked on FF16. the combat makes my brain cook in just the right way. loving the VAs, the story, the visuals. soken went loving wild with the soundtrack. great game.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

they came in and bought everyone out with "that coal poo poo is outdated, mako is the future!" spiels. after that they just built over wherever they wanted, like junon being built over the original fishing town.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

just finished the bahamut boss fight in FF16. lol that was nuts, straight up shonen anime/kaiju battle poo poo. this game owns

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

finally got shiva in 16, watching the stagger bar just melt everytime i do diamond dust is ftw :yeshaha:

i'll probably snag the season pass for the dlcs before i do a final fantasy playthrough

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

A FF6 TAY would fuckin' own.

Getting more time with the cast members who got barely any attention, combo attacks, a big super dungeon full of cameo boss fights, Adult Gau who would probably be hilariously inexplicably bishonen or something, it would be great.

Celes and Locke's child Cachel teams up with the baby who was born in Mobliz who grew up thinking Terra is awesome. Cyan is training a group of young samurai and rebuilding Doma. Relm is in her goth phase.

Edit: I'm not even joking, I want to play the poo poo out of this game.

dont you put that evil on us ricky bobby impatom

real talk though yes i would also play the poo poo out of it

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Gogo took off their outfit to reveal an identical outfit underneath

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

jack and clive are both the most powerful protags thanks to the power they force into every uttered "gently caress"

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

finished ff16. i shouted with joy, i cried, incredible ending and final boss. ben starr is beast

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

sales numbers are probably down because console video games are on a whole more expensive than they used to be and grocers are nickel and diming us to death as far as staying alive goes. i know i wouldn't have bothered getting a new system recently if i wasn't able to get it through a plan.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

16 is great. fun game, fun characters. a lot of the sidequests get samey but i enjoyed the stories and npcs around them enough to do them all. ftw.

clive is also absolutely a big doof. hes a theatre nerd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Gologle posted:

If you've played Stranger of Paradise, 16 won't hit for you. If you've played Super Final Fantasy 7 Remake 2: Reunion/(Reverse)/Rebirth+Ultra, 16 won't hit for you.

wrong