Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Leal posted:

The best Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy IX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
We should be able to use our own music. There is no reason games should prevent that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Chillgamesh posted:

Moguri made my game crash in the ending cut scene and I had to uninstall it to watch the ending but other than that it was just straight up an overwhelmingly superior way to play FF9
Did you try this at the time or was it an older version?

quote:

Still some rare crashes at the end. You can delete this file without consequence and it should work fine: \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY IX\MoguriFiles\StreamingAssets\ma\mbg116.bytes

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't know why there is a waiting period of any importance when you can fight Chaos right now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
All that buildup and Gilgamesh punks out after taking one last hit. Then the final few seconds happen.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
One of the characters is a Frankenstein's monster and everyone is cool with that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blockhouse posted:

Chrono Trigger hasn't been referenced in a game in like twenty years y'all need to learn to let go
Even Chaos disapproves on that one.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I consider Earthbound being my number 3 favorite RPG, to be almost as good as Chrono Trigger, which is also just below Final Fantasy IX. It being the best Final Fantasy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah it's not impossible to read it and understand what it's trying to say, and honestly the laser doesn't even deal that much damage, like my first time playing I got hit by it and went "Oh, whoops, guess it was trying to say not to attack it, oh well." Maybe I'd feel different if I'd gotten a game over from it or something, though.
You instead get a nice chunk to your Limit and are now encouraged to make it counter again, since you now know that harder hits greatly increases the gauge. It is a learning experience designed like a troll move.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
An error in gregment has been made.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How are the spell animations in 5PR?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Alxprit posted:

Fun fact, apparently in Pixel Remaster Almagest ignores shell!
How dare they mix up the strategies between versions to keep things fresh!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The real worst part of any FF Tactics game are the occasional mission where you have to protect an NPC, but they’re very committed to diving into the middle of a huge group of fast enemies.
Hit them with ailments to stop them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Harrow posted:

I'm reminded of a recurring argument in the RPG thread about whether Disgaea is, if you just do the main story, "grindy." At least one poster insists that Disgaea is a very grindy game even if you just want to do the main story, pointing to how grindy the endgame is (by design, it's all about grinding to super big numbers), while other people who have actually played some Disgaea games point out that no, you can generally beat the main story without grinding. (This argument recurs because any time someone brings up grinding in Disgaea's endgame the argument starts again.)

It makes me think of how the descriptor "grindy" has started to be used for any game where sometimes fighting a couple extra battles can be helpful, or you could get a rare drop or some good skills by stopping to grind but you don't have to.
You will be doing lots of grinding in the Disgaea games if you are going in blind and don't know the mechanics. You can be capable of finishing everything in the main game by standing still for a dozen plus turns each map, being supported with buffbots, getting tossed at enemies to keep your attack multiplier up, and eventually overpower each of the bosses with 500%+ more damage output if your weak equipment doesn't get you killed from their special attacks. It sounds very boring to me to do that on each map due to weak gear. I might take it as a challenge to avoid repeating any map or doing IW runs. I would have no problem with that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

AngryRobotsInc posted:

You don't need to grind up to get the absolute best equipment in DQ1 in every town, but you do have to level grind a bit, otherwise you're going to get exploded the first time you cross a bridge or something.
Or have a name with bad growth levels.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can get some of that stuff from the Coliseum as well.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Leal posted:

I bet things would've gone different in FF7 if Aeris had a gun.
Not like there are limits to the amount of weapons you can get unless it was 100. Grenades and other attack items are sold in stores. Shinra doesn't even care about the armed populace enough to do anything about it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This thread sure is funny.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm near the end of my FFVIII replay and I had no idea this could happen in the Adel fight (linked for VIII spoilers I guess)

https://i.imgur.com/IGEemjk.mp4
Just doing his duty.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can't wait for Poshul to finally be the main character.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nihilarian posted:

I replayed Chross recently and found the flow of combat to be annoying. You'd be building up your combos and right before the big attack the enemy would take its turn. Bad gameflow.
Spend minutes building up the element field and the boss uses a field effect counter to gently caress with you.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Wrong Robo. He is stuck in the past growing moss. We just never picked him up and cleaned him off. He is fine.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CubeTheory posted:

Actually, Chrono Cross is good
I am very much looking forward to buying the soundtrack and enjoying the game..........'s music.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

jokes posted:

I haven’t been able to find gently caress-all for Sprite replacements and I’m upset there isn’t a Cloud/Tifa/Aeristh/Barrett sprite replacement mod.

Unless there is and I haven’t been able to find it
https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasypixelremaster/mods/11

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is the deal with Gau having a yellow or red face when he rages?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mister Olympus posted:

strictly speaking Gau is a Morpher but they didn't call the job that or use it outside of FFTA
Heh. Terra is the Morpher. Gau may be a Monster or Beast Berserker.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

...but next time we see him he's having a giant parade. A jolly parade meant to win over heart s and minds, not some Mordor/Imperial March poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reyjypnxgdU
And it worked out really well since Cloud managed to get high ratings on tv and was rewarded 5000 gil.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

I have played FFVII countless times and have only ever managed to get the reward above a Grenade. More often than not I just get the Grenade.

I don't know anybody who has actually perfected that dumb thing.
There is randomness involved since the ratings can go all over the place, but I mashed the button to tip my gun for that reward.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Either that or he wears orthodontic socks that don't go up all the way.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mustached Demon posted:

I just want cloud dressed in a chocobo costume.
This, but Barret as a giant marshmallow.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is also Final Fantasy Star Wars and you can make your primary characters super powerful early in the game if you wanted.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
His sword is bent.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can go for a Sephiroth Shake.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Five Warrior Fiesta.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

jokes posted:

Meteor eats planets though

Or is that Jenova
Galactus.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They did away with the sad and angry faces from the mobile port.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 17, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It was something like all the guys had this angry at everything look with their eyebrows and the girls didn't have the raised eyebrows. The mobile port that was godawful to look at, not the PR mobile version.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 17, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It could also be Dragon Quest as well.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A tough mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee