Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

first step is admitting you have a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

A true addiction entails a growing tolerance to a substance (think drugs or alcohol) so you need more to get "high," uncomfortable symptoms during withdrawal, and a harmful impact on your life, Greenfield says.

Computer technologies can be addictive, he says, because they're "psychoactive." That is, they alter mood and often trigger enjoyable feelings.

Email, in particular, gives us satisfaction due to what psychologists call "variable ratio reinforcement." That is, we never know when we'll get a satisfying email, so we keep checking, over and over again. "It's like slot machines," Greenfield says. "We're seeking that pleasurable hit."

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I just got my 30 day chip

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

Q

Is screen addiction associated with other unhealthy behaviors, outcomes, or addictions?

A

Yes, several studies have correlated screen usage and excessive social media usage (“hyper-networkers”—more than three hours of social media a day) to poorer grades, more acting-out sexual behavior, more behavioral problems. Beyond unhealthy behaviors, we see that excessive screen usage in adults can correlate to increased depression (so-called Facebook depression due to what’s known as the “social comparison effect”) and increased anxiety. Dr. Craig Anderson and his research associates at Iowa State have over fifteen years of research showing the aggression-increasing effects of violent video games. Dr. Mark Griffith and Angelica de Gortari have coined the term “Game Transfer Phenomena”—psychotic-like features that are often observed in compulsive gamers who blur the game with reality, or who have intrusive sights and sounds of the game manifesting even when they’re not playing the game. In my own clinical practice, I have seen first-hand this form of what I call “Video Game Psychosis”: Gaming clients who’ve had full-blown psychotic breaks after marathon gaming sessions and who needed to be psychiatrically hospitalized.