Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Call me when Symphony of the Night gets a remake with Dread's level of liquid motion and glass cannon fighting.

https://i.imgur.com/J4vKXNX.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Black August posted:

I call them Metroids

But we already have a word for that, bad

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Gutcruncher posted:

Which is all your guys favorite Metroidvania? Mines the third one.

I liked that one that was all dark and grimy with little bugs running around, then I realised that my monitor was off

I should really clean this place up

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Barudak posted:

But we already have a word for that, bad

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Black August posted:

Call me when Symphony of the Night gets a remake with Dread's level of liquid motion and glass cannon fighting.

https://i.imgur.com/J4vKXNX.mp4

Hold on, Alucard could hang on the ceiling? How?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

re: the op's proposal

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

what's your favorite search action game

super metroid

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Omobono posted:

Hold on, Alucard could hang on the ceiling? How?

I dunno if that's a mod or a custom project or a fancy animation, but almost none of those moves are from the game, it's a fan thing.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
There hasn't been a good metroid or castlevania game in over a decade so lets just update the genre name to Hollow Lilies.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

metroid dread absoltuely owns what are you TALKING about. stfu.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

*Bursts into room with such force the door flies clear to the opposite wall* Shantaelikes

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Stux posted:

metroid dread absoltuely owns what are you TALKING about. stfu.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
But is a hotdog a sandwich? This is very important to me because unless my world is correctly and precisely defined I cannot enjoy anything.

Anyway I just simplify the process by classifying games as "good" or "bad." depending on if they are good or bad.

For example:
Good games:
Nethack, faster than light, zelda, doom 2016, chrono trigger, final fantasy 4 and 5
Bad games:
Final fantasy 7 and 6, dark souls, Doom Eternal, games people that call "metroidvanias" Search Action games like.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

woah uh... anyone else seeing this... did you just say THOSOE games are bad??? Uh... ok... someone pass me the oxygen i cannot breathe im so mad at this opinion... this. is. messed. UP. :stare:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Love the concept and vibes of search action games but I equally hate running all over the map because I forgot about that impassable pillar from 5 hours ago

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

Love the concept and vibes of search action games but I equally hate running all over the map because I forgot about that impassable pillar from 5 hours ago

Metroid Dread helps with this by letting you highlight - for example - every green door on the map after you get gun-that-opens-green-doors. It's extremely good and I hope future games both in and outside the Metroid series incorporate it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

Metroid Dread helps with this by letting you highlight - for example - every green door on the map after you get gun-that-opens-green-doors. It's extremely good and I hope future games both in and outside the Metroid series incorporate it.

You don't need to in Metroid Dread. When you see a door with a blue triangle the map puts a specific blue rectangle there labelled '???' And when you get the blue triangle gun the map changes them to 'Blue Triangle Door'. There's also enough detail that you can see morph ball paths and stuff.

It's not useless but Dread isn't a good example of this mechanic. Axiom Verges did it better.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Imma call my Elden Ring character Ser Jacques Hunn in honour of GRRM and the OP

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Rabi-Ribi is better than it looks and one of my favorite modern games in the genre. I'm not an anime fan, but the gameplay is 100% solid Metroidvania search action.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can we call video games “veegees”?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Why would you translate it as Search Action rather than Exploration Action? It's not like they are using the english word Search. (also sometimes a loan word does not mean the exact same thing or necessarily flow as well in the source language so you'd want to use a better localized term anyway)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i dunno op. im just repeating stuff ive heard

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like "search action" because it flows better off the tongue than "exploration action"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Jay Rust posted:

Can we call video games “veegees”?

Call them "Vidz".

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Harrow posted:

I like "search action" because it flows better off the tongue than "exploration action"

A friend brought me the thread topic asking me about if it was the truth or just a meme and so I looked up the Lodoss game on Playism and in the description it used the search action term as well as typing Metroidvania out in katakana, which I thought was interesting. The steam page in japanese for the same game has zero user submitted tags.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Potsticker posted:

Why would you translate it as Search Action rather than Exploration Action? It's not like they are using the english word Search. (also sometimes a loan word does not mean the exact same thing or necessarily flow as well in the source language so you'd want to use a better localized term anyway)

what if we localized it as "metroidvania"

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Harrow posted:

"Exploraction."

"Explaction."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Checking Japanese wikipedia, the term "metroidvania" has its own page while "search action" does not. It basically just says "this genre is sometimes officially known as 'search action' or similar." That said, a lot of the pages for various games do use "search action" as a description. In my own personal experience watching comiket preview videos, it seems like the genre names aren't always universally agreed on and you'd often see games of the same genre with different genres listed. I'm sure I've seen both metroidvania and search action before.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyway why are we looking at Japan for how to name things, like did you know they call hot dogs sandwiches over there?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I think Hollow Knight and Dead Cells are garbage, personally

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/software/feature/exploratoryaction.html

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

objectively incorrect

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ill take "exploratory action" or whatever. just as long as its not metroidvania. and it has action in it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it's more a game design philosophy than a real problem but other than wallclimbing the big problem i have with dread is how it doesnt really feel like a larger world, so much as a bunch of discrete levels that happen to be linked by elevators. HK is absolutely massive but i get a good feeling of how the world fits together in that, even the hilarious stuff like why the king decided to build three train lines, one of which is like a 5 minute walk, and two others to loving deepnest

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

mycophobia posted:

ill take "exploratory action" or whatever. just as long as its not metroidvania. and it has action in it

search is better because i can spell it

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Search Action is also a good descriptor for the Leisure Suit Larry games.

Kemian
Jul 26, 2004

Economics is not a science, and never will be!

Mario 64 is my favorite search action game

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Anyway why are we looking at Japan for how to name things, like did you know they call hot dogs sandwiches over there?

http://cuberule.com

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

:blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Eason the Fifth posted:

what makes you think it's okay to come in here and spew this filth? in this threaD???