Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hmm maybe they should be called “garbage action”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

How can you say that about gato roboto

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I feel like this whole conversation is getting lost in a distinction without difference because the japanese word for search is pronounced "meh-toh-roh-ee" and the japanese word for action is pronounced "doh-vah-nee-ah"

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Calling them search action is mimicking reddit rather than Japanese gamers, I’m afraid.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Calling them search action is mimicking reddit rather than Japanese gamers, I’m afraid.

what do you live in japan. have a japanese wife or something. tough guy

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i think he does

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Stux posted:

i think he does

I KNOW STUX THANK YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

youre welcome.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Try to imagine the world where "Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment" would've become the big thing and achieved mass market success.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nobody ever mentions ori 2 but it’s very good

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Souls-like is already a thing, but they're pretty "Search Action"-ish already. Instead of finding double jump, you just have to git gud.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
lol kinda lame name. reminds me of "character action", which sucks balls too

but its def much better than "metroidvania"

metroidlike or w/e, fine, i can stomach it
metroidvania is epic fail

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The genre owes a lot more to Symphony of the Night than Metroid at this point though.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Clarste posted:

The genre owes a lot more to Symphony of the Night than Metroid at this point though.

whch is why search action is a 1000x better term

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Clarste posted:

and dead cells owes a lot more to binding of isaac than rogue
w/e

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
thank you for bumpiung this 3 year old thread fucker. i dont feel quite as strongly as i used to about this but still valid imo.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

mycophobia posted:

thank you for bumpiung this 3 year old thread fucker. i dont feel quite as strongly as i used to about this but still valid imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihEhsdwiIk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I sort my Switch Metroidvanias into a folder labeled "Search Action". It's better than the Japanese term for shmups: STG, for "shoo-ting-game"