Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSwG2sqUm8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
*makes grabby hands*

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The United States posted:

We all know how this sort of thing ends
https://i.imgur.com/4D3RHfB.mp4

You know what I've played enough SRW games to be terrified of Information High, so I suppose you have a point.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Updated the 2nd post with the sound track playlist on youtube

Arcane Soundtrack Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgbEfJgMInlmJF_rvZMxGHaXos_NEuJ_f
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1maC1jJGBRg

This is a sweet driving heist beat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok_JXdMm2Zs

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 11, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDaDTstXvCE

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kill All Cops posted:

as a dota fan, show is pretty good and does a good job worldbuilding more than the dota anime

still wouldn't choose to play league over dota though

Yeah I’m a fan of studio Mir but I wasn’t able to get past the first episode of dota. Nice animation, uninspired writing. Their Witcher movie was good though.

Arcane has better writing plus even more impressive animation and that wow factor of being something we’ve basically never seen computer animation accomplish before.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This show is drat good!

Love the lore they are setting up. I’d totally play the MMO.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

This show is drat good!

Love the lore they are setting up. I’d totally play the MMO.

I think all this world building stuff actually already comes from this big magic the gathering style trading card game, I think its called Artefact?

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Watched the first three episodes and they were pretty cool, looking forward to the next set of episodes to drop. Really like the artstyle and story so far.

Rob Filter posted:

I think all this world building stuff actually already comes from this big magic the gathering style trading card game, I think its called Artefact?

Riot's cardgame is called Legends of Runeterra and most of the lore got a major overhaul/retcon a couple of years back when they tried to straighten out the mountain of random bits of lore they accumulated over a good decade. They've now collected all the lore on one page, if you're interested in reading more about it (but it might contain spoilers for the show): https://map.leagueoflegends.com/

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Vulin posted:

Watched the first three episodes and they were pretty cool, looking forward to the next set of episodes to drop. Really like the artstyle and story so far.

Riot's cardgame is called Legends of Runeterra and most of the lore got a major overhaul/retcon a couple of years back when they tried to straighten out the mountain of random bits of lore they accumulated over a good decade. They've now collected all the lore on one page, if you're interested in reading more about it (but it might contain spoilers for the show): https://map.leagueoflegends.com/

It’s also not accurate anymore, at least for Piltover & Zaun. As Hextech was 50+ years old until the show made Jayce the pioneer.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This was pretty good, even not knowing anything about League. Story is very cliché, definitely style over substance, but there is a lot of style so that's okay. Mostly came across as a quality Dishonored adaptation to someone unfamiliar with LoL.

I have to say I loving hated the music choices, though - the intro being an atrocious Imagine Dragons song is bad enough, but they pull the generic indie girl voice song more than once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SU0gFPMwP8

Also that part where they play an actual in-universe record and it sounds like some modern twingy mumblepop bullshit just took me out of the show entirely. Not a huge deal, just doesn't fit with what the show is doing at all, IMO.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 11, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Man I disagree completely, I thought all the music fit perfectly and that Imagine Dragons song especially they use for the intro is awesome. I've been listening to it a ton since watching the show

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The main theme is fine until it gets to the chorus which does the modern pop thing of trying to be all understated instead of big and flashy and it always sucks. At least we got the enjoyment during the World Championship opening of enjoying that they made them look like massive doofuses.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The third episode is slightly more impressive, narratively speaking, though I found the bridge combat uninspired given the number of set piece battles that were set around it. The most interesting choice here, IMO, was in the characters who were able to walk away at the end of the piece and the position the series leaves them, and it's what inspires the most hope. I do think, however, that the lead villain is still nothing to write home about, and I always find shots of young, bug-eyed women crying to be slightly fetishistic, particularly in this kind of context.

Narratively, it's empty calories, but the technical skill is still quite remarkable. And I enjoyed seeing all those silly councillors perform their theatrical court silliness. It's hard to take the goblin's morality seriously though, or the father's, when they're actively supporting an aggressive police state that's actively poisoning the city's supporting underclass. But it's probably best not to think about any of that.

Hakkesshu posted:

Mostly came across as a quality Dishonored adaptation to someone unfamiliar with LoL.

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. There's something very French about the facial designs; there's a slight Life Is Strange vibe to it as well.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's something very French about the facial designs; there's a slight Life Is Strange vibe to it as well.

Fortiche is a French animation studio, so I imagine most of their character designers went to the same sort of technical schools and inherited the same sort of artistic legacies as the people from Dontnod. I think the similarities to Dishonored largely come from the dieselpunk stylings and use of a traditional oilpaint aesthetic, something that's vanishingly rare in most video games (and, by proxy, most CG animated works).

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Hakkesshu posted:

This was pretty good, even not knowing anything about League. Story is very cliché, definitely style over substance, but there is a lot of style so that's okay. Mostly came across as a quality Dishonored adaptation to someone unfamiliar with LoL.

I have to say I loving hated the music choices, though - the intro being an atrocious Imagine Dragons song is bad enough, but they pull the generic indie girl voice song more than once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SU0gFPMwP8

Also that part where they play an actual in-universe record and it sounds like some modern twingy mumblepop bullshit just took me out of the show entirely. Not a huge deal, just doesn't fit with what the show is doing at all, IMO.

I agree completely, any song with vocals I found to be really bad.

I liked the instrumental one someone posted earlier in the thread, but while watching I wasn't impressed by any, hope that changes in the next episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hakkesshu posted:

I've never played LoL and yeah, I watched it and immediately thought,"Wow, this looks like it's set in the Dishonored universe!" :)

Agree with those saying that it's style over substance so far but also agreeing that goddamn that is sure as hell a shitload of style. From a technical standpoint it really is quite incredible.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Not a game player, so I was going to give this one a miss, but was interested enough in the art style to watch the first episode. The puppeteering of the 3D models is really just top-notch, and the biggest failing of a lot of shows that go this route. I probably would have just watched one and quit, but they hit me with super-bonus surprise Shoreh Agdashloo, so congratulations you sons of bitches, I'm in.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIM1erbld5Q

New teaser - new episodes drop tonight at midnight PST!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There are two LoL-related YouTubers I enjoy, TB Skyen and Necrit who focus on LoL's animation and lore respectively and they're having a field day with this.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TBSkyen/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/Necrit/videos

Necrit is especially good if you want more background on the series.

I really liked it. I enjoy Runeterra and had a passing interest in the world (since Riot did that thing where they just threw out a bunch of stuff and now they have to make it into some kind of order, not unlike Warhammer-related things) and this was completely my jam.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's not super-deep, but it's solid dieselpunk fantasy fare with just fantastic character design, world design, and animation. The dialogue is well delivered and generally better-written than a lot of cartoon fare. I really love the Dishonored-ish blend of cel-shaded and painted art style. For something based on game lore it's more compelling than a lot of higher profile IP animated properties out there nowadays...

I've seen mention they've been working on this for six years... if a lot of that was investment in tooling and asset pipeline, and now they can keep up this quality with turnaround competitive with the other (generally much lower quality) CGI fare out there, I'll be really curious to see what they do with this capability.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
It was mentioned either in a dev post or one of their lil youtube featurettes, but the 6 years was spent building the foundation (and loving around with the story/getting funding internally, etc) to create the CGI look they have in Arcane. If what they said is true, they should have the tools & assets to better quickly turn around content of this quality. Whether that is actually true remains to be seen if they can get other series out by next year or early 2023.

At this level of quality I honestly wouldn't mind it if they dropped a new series every other year, but given how league operates they'd probably want to drop stuff at least yearly to coincide with their world tournament.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I mean 6 years for what appears to be 3 feature-length movies worth of animation (spread out over 9 episodes) is pretty par for the course, especially since the animation is feature quality

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

New episodes are up. :woop:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have been informed there are poros in these episodes so show now perfect.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Show is still extremely good and now significantly more gay

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

SirSamVimes posted:

Show is still extremely good and now significantly more gay

I knew they were gonna go for it after they leaned into jayce/viktor so hard but jesus CHRIST, riot

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
The new batch of episodes is still real good, I was worried the quality might dip a bit, but the visuals are still extremely strong and now that the story is picking up some steam I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I felt like the episodes were a bit slower, but that's probably because it's a 6 episode arc as opposed to the first 3 that were sort of self contained. I definitely wanna see how it turns out and where they leave it, but that's because I know the characters and not because the story is that strong. Visuals are still great. I am also curious about the firelight gang and how they fit in but I think that's the only sort of mystery if you already know the characters.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerkface posted:

It was mentioned either in a dev post or one of their lil youtube featurettes, but the 6 years was spent building the foundation (and loving around with the story/getting funding internally, etc) to create the CGI look they have in Arcane. If what they said is true, they should have the tools & assets to better quickly turn around content of this quality. Whether that is actually true remains to be seen if they can get other series out by next year or early 2023.

At this level of quality I honestly wouldn't mind it if they dropped a new series every other year, but given how league operates they'd probably want to drop stuff at least yearly to coincide with their world tournament.

Similar to the Love Death Robots episode "The Witness" watching the pilot for this show made me really curious how they pulled everything together on the technical side.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

This series is fantastic, the visuals and cinematography are just on another level. The story is compelling as hell as well tbh. Every character makes so much sense.

Miftan posted:

I am also curious about the firelight gang and how they fit in but I think that's the only sort of mystery if you already know the characters.

Could the leader be Ekko? The reason to have a character in a mask is usually to reveal that they're someone we already know. I can't think of who else it could be unless one of the other kids somehow survived.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Nephthys posted:

This series is fantastic, the visuals and cinematography are just on another level. The story is compelling as hell as well tbh. Every character makes so much sense.

Could the leader be Ekko? The reason to have a character in a mask is usually to reveal that they're someone we already know. I can't think of who else it could be unless one of the other kids somehow survived.

Yeah that's probably it tbh, hadn't considered it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Just watched episode 4. My jaw is just constantly on the floor at how good the animation is.

Also I noticed it a lot more this episode, but the hand animated special effects REALLY put everything over the top. The liquids, the smoke the fire etc it all looks insane.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Ekko's VA is also the VA for the Firelight leader so yeah, It's pretty much 99.99% certain that it's him

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macaluso posted:

Just watched episode 4. My jaw is just constantly on the floor at how good the animation is.

Also I noticed it a lot more this episode, but the hand animated special effects REALLY put everything over the top. The liquids, the smoke the fire etc it all looks insane.

Yeah. I knew the studio was really going all out with the animation when they animated Powder eating the sandwich in episode 1.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This show loving kicks rear end, goddman

Also I don't know a ton about LoL, I tried playing it and I was too used to the QOL stuff in HOTS. I'm familiar with several characters but there's like 500 so I'm not well versed on all of them. However I did read some theories about certain characters on this show, and read up on some backstories of certain LoL champions. And after watching these episodes I'm fully in agreement with the theory that Vander is Warwick

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
2nd batch is slower pace as to be expected for a middle of a trilogy i suppose, but nice development for the time gap. animation still owns, i didn't really like the jinx scribbly style when i first saw it but it kinda fits the character and showing the crazy overall.

wonder where they are going to go with viktor and him getting his artificial body. can't wait for next week!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macaluso posted:

This show loving kicks rear end, goddman

Also I don't know a ton about LoL, I tried playing it and I was too used to the QOL stuff in HOTS. I'm familiar with several characters but there's like 500 so I'm not well versed on all of them. However I did read some theories about certain characters on this show, and read up on some backstories of certain LoL champions. And after watching these episodes I'm fully in agreement with the theory that Vander is Warwick

You might give Runeterra a shot if card games are your thing. It's genuinely fun and keeping up with card releases is WAY better than Hearthstone or Magic. No booster packs for a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Kill All Cops posted:

as a dota fan, show is pretty good and does a good job worldbuilding more than the dota anime

still wouldn't choose to play league over dota though