Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I was surprised to see Viktor+Singed at the end there, but we got a ways to go to make best Cyborg guy Looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

So the guy with the giant tuba/violin thing that was playing in the opera house was definitely Jhin right?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Fights in act 2 are so gooood

viktor made the worst mistake one could do, chasing Singed

big star wars prequels Yoda vibes from Heimerdinger, almost expecting him to have a grand duel with cackling Mel (I mean, she must have more sinister motives than just making profit on hexgate business) in the final episodes

Miftan posted:

So the guy with the giant tuba/violin thing that was playing in the opera house was definitely Jhin right?

went and checked, lmao there are 4 strings on that instrument, absolutely

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 13, 2021

Caros
May 14, 2008

I'd singed doesn't flip over a table and yell I'm going to be sour.

Fantastic episode generally with a few small flaws (the Viktor stuff at the start of episode 5 felt a bit rushed).

The big win for me is jinx because holy gently caress, it is a character with mental illness that isn't lol I'm so random because I'm crazy.

I always enjoyed jinx's design, but she was very crazy in the joker/harley quinn fashion where she was just batshit crazy without rhyme or reason.

Meanwhile jinx is clearly suffering severe PTSD coupled with possible schitzophrenia that is being enabled by her 'father' . She is quirky in some over the top ways (she is a fictional character after all) , but she is also aware that there is something wrong with her.

That first scene with silco where he asks her what happened, she doesn't just say she snapped. She is able to explain why she did what she did.

Likewise The last scene with Vi has her 'hearing voices', but rather than go shock and depict it as ghosts talking to her like 13 reasons why or something terrible, we see her react to the things she 'hears'.

Given the context it is clear that while she might be ascribing other tomes to the voices in her head, it is just her own insecurities about Vi. As someone who has had to deal with intrusive thoughts in my teenage years, that absolutely struck a chord.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think a lot praise needs to be given to the animation Jinx's face, the biggest one for me being when she sees the crow, and cocks her head a little. Her facial expression, especially her eyes, is very good there. They convey a lot of how crazy she currently is in JUST her eyes. It's really impressive

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I like the show a lot, and actually like the intro song okay, but the beginning of the into sequence cracks me up. You get a few seconds of a rip-off of Daredevil’s intro with the dramatic statues and tonal synths, but then SURPRISE! Imagine Dragons.

Kills me every time.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Caros posted:

I'd singed doesn't flip over a table and yell I'm going to be sour.

Fantastic episode generally with a few small flaws (the Viktor stuff at the start of episode 5 felt a bit rushed).

The big win for me is jinx because holy gently caress, it is a character with mental illness that isn't lol I'm so random because I'm crazy.

I always enjoyed jinx's design, but she was very crazy in the joker/harley quinn fashion where she was just batshit crazy without rhyme or reason.

Meanwhile jinx is clearly suffering severe PTSD coupled with possible schitzophrenia that is being enabled by her 'father' . She is quirky in some over the top ways (she is a fictional character after all) , but she is also aware that there is something wrong with her.

That first scene with silco where he asks her what happened, she doesn't just say she snapped. She is able to explain why she did what she did.

Likewise The last scene with Vi has her 'hearing voices', but rather than go shock and depict it as ghosts talking to her like 13 reasons why or something terrible, we see her react to the things she 'hears'.

Given the context it is clear that while she might be ascribing other tomes to the voices in her head, it is just her own insecurities about Vi. As someone who has had to deal with intrusive thoughts in my teenage years, that absolutely struck a chord.

I really like the balance they've struck with her so far, I'm obviously a fan of retconning her to be more tragic for all the reasons you said, but being Fun is an important part of the character and I'm glad they kept that around. A lesser writer would've gone all in on the Very Serious Trauma (and retconning characters to have overly grimdark backstories is absolutely something riot has done before), so I'm really glad they kept her unmistakably Jinx while fleshing her out

Monicro fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 13, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macaluso posted:

I think a lot praise needs to be given to the animation Jinx's face, the biggest one for me being when she sees the crow, and cocks her head a little. Her facial expression, especially her eyes, is very good there. They convey a lot of how crazy she currently is in JUST her eyes. It's really impressive

I also like how when people get really in her face she just sort of chuckles, and not in the typical cocky action hero way or even in a Joker sort of way. The part of her brain that would react with fear to that sort of thing I don't think operates that way anymore. Jinx and Vi and their relationship feels about perfect.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
this is very good and well produced, got my family who weren't even aware it is a video game hooked. 3 strong female leads, when most shows struggle with just 1.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I also like how when people get really in her face she just sort of chuckles, and not in the typical cocky action hero way or even in a Joker sort of way. The part of her brain that would react with fear to that sort of thing I don't think operates that way anymore. Jinx and Vi and their relationship feels about perfect.

I think my favorite quirk is the random non-sequiturs. Like she starts opening up to Silco about Vi, and then immediately goes into 'sisters, amirite? Can't live with'em...'

It lets her keep the fun and quirky jinx behavior, but at the same time it is a pretty obvious trauma response. Like she starts to think bad thoughts and her brain immediately nopes out and slides into randomly talking in order to try and derail that train of thought before it hurts. She does the same thing in the sixth episode and a couple other times throughout.

I guess I just know enough people with some level of mental illness that it is nice to see it treated with some level of respect even in a character where 'wacky crazy' was always a defining trait.

Caros fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 13, 2021

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

It's no surprise with the rest of the voice acting in the show but Ella Purnell has done an incredible job of voicing jinx as well. just a perfect portrayal of a character bursting apart at the seams mentally, especially in those little rambling moments you mentioned

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And obviously a fun touch was Jinx listening to the Get Jinxed music.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Show is amazing. Now everyone is playing Vi in league and I'm happy!

Who was the beggar with he glasses? The one that had injected shimmer

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 14, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the merchant from the first scene with Vander

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Finally got around to watching the new eps tonight. Still continues to be a fantastic show; the amount of depth they're able to give some of these characters with an absolute economy of writing impresses the hell out of me. No one feels like a cardboard cutout, and the dilemmas they set up aren't strictly onesided. There's a strong central theme of the danger of remaining in the past being contrasted by the danger of heedlessly rushing into the future without thought that's well-argued on both sides.

It remains to be seen if it'll have much impact on the plot, but I'm convinced that Mel is working for Noxus. Aside from the obvious character traits - highly manipulative, considered a disappointment to the family, ruthlessly ambitious in her own right - they keep dropping little hints here and there. She mentions having "investors" lined up for Hextech; she mentions to Jayce that there's "a lot he doesn't know about her"; and the painting she's doing in her room is Noxus proper, with the Immortal Bastion in the back and warships in the front. It's especially suspicious that the writers chose this set of episodes to bring up Noxus' existence obliquely, too. The fact that she seems genuinely a little taken by Jayce is going to end up being her big character dilemma when it comes time to betray his research, assuming I'm right.

Miftan posted:

I don't think so. Jhin was released some time after the Ionian War, and his weapon is explicitly a hextech gun, so it's a bit too early in the timeline for him to be hanging around in Piltover.

Monicro posted:

It's no surprise with the rest of the voice acting in the show but Ella Purnell has done an incredible job of voicing jinx as well. just a perfect portrayal of a character bursting apart at the seams mentally, especially in those little rambling moments you mentioned

What impresses me the most is how much of a gradient she gave the performance. It's not Scared Child -> Wacky Nutjob and back again; there's points where she's clearly the deeply scarred kid from part 1, and then there's parts where she's coming up with jokes and acting crazy to hide her pain and discomfort, and then there's points where she's authentically Jinx (like when she's toying with Sevika in Silco's office), to the point that I might genuinely have trouble telling her apart from Sarah Anne Williams if you put the two voices side-by-side.

SirSamVimes posted:

Show is still extremely good and now significantly more gay

if they don't let vi and cait smooch at least once, even as A Joke, i'm gonna fuckin riot!!!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vermain posted:

if they don't let vi and cait smooch at least once, even as A Joke, i'm gonna fuckin riot!!!
Arcane seems to already have some very, very dedicated... and violent... fans
https://twitter.com/dicesbtch/status/1459478961218539525

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I find that perspective funny given the framing of the Vik Jayce shut down is (episode 5 spoilers) Jayce being seduced away from science by politics. Literally abandoning his partner for a woman and his partner promptly nearly dying whilst Jayce gets laid. The framing is almost entirely presenting Jayce as cheating on Viktor in a terrible way that is causing his death to quicken. Jayce choosing Mel feels like it is being presented as the wrong decisions to me.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Vermain posted:

i will be extremely upset if this doesn't pan out and they are not allowed to wait for season two to make this happen goddammit

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

On reflection, I really love what they ended up doing with Caitlyn as a character. She's haughty, arrogant, and classist at times, but has enough self-awareness of her own lack of worldliness to largely keep a lid on it, and even keep a good sense of humor when being needled over it. They give her the right mix of confidence and cleverness to let her have her moments while still making it clear that she's struggling with being way in over her head. "Snooty British aristocrat" is such a well-worn archetype at this point that it's a real treat seeing it handled with nuance and fleshed out beyond the cliche.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Vermain posted:

I'm convinced that Mel is working for Noxus. Aside from the obvious character traits - highly manipulative, considered a disappointment to the family, ruthlessly ambitious in her own right - they keep dropping little hints here and there. She mentions having "investors" lined up for Hextech; she mentions to Jayce that there's "a lot he doesn't know about her"; and the painting she's doing in her room is Noxus proper, with the Immortal Bastion in the back and warships in the front. It's especially suspicious that the writers chose this set of episodes to bring up Noxus' existence obliquely, too. The fact that she seems genuinely a little taken by Jayce is going to end up being her big character dilemma when it comes time to betray his research, assuming I'm right.

I am convinced that She's orianna somehow

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The United States posted:

Arcane seems to already have some very, very dedicated... and violent... fans
https://twitter.com/dicesbtch/status/1459478961218539525

There's an interesting discussion to be had of queerbaiting versus queer coding. Jayce and Victor has the latter but not the former (although of course one understands if you do want to see it).

Some people get really mad about it.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 14, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In what way are Jayce and Viktor queer baiting?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

queerbaiting is when 2 people of the same gender dont have sex

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
the vast majority of queerbaiting in pop culture can be summed up in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mGBaXPlri8

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lol I didn't really get the metropolis and Gotham city thing until the first episode of the new batch, now it seems so obvious. This jayce is no superman though

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Am I oblivious if I completely missed any sort of Jayce and Victor pairings or hints of it? Vi and Caitlyn was pretty overt, but to me Jayce and Victor came across as good friends and nothing more.

Aldo, show's really good and I can't wait for act 3

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

chaleski posted:

Am I oblivious if I completely missed any sort of Jayce and Victor pairings or hints of it? Vi and Caitlyn was pretty overt, but to me Jayce and Victor came across as good friends and nothing more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tc7MH5ZXbg&t=77s

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

They definitely don’t go as hard in the paint as with cait/vi but “Oh this isn’t my bedroom” while getting caught sneaking around with jayce was, a lot

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Monicro posted:

They definitely don’t go as hard in the paint as with cait/vi but “Oh this isn’t my bedroom” while getting caught sneaking around with jayce was, a lot

It helps that their traditional backstory is in part them having no intellectual equals and immediately finding one another able ot keep up with their science and intellectual speed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

so is "two characters of the same gender have a close relationship but aren't banging" called queerbaiting now

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

so is "two characters of the same gender have a close relationship but aren't banging" called queerbaiting now

When they're hot yes

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
As a person, who has not the slightest interest in LOL, or other MOBAs, this show is really really good.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

chaleski posted:

Aldo, show's really good and I can't wait for act 3

Men can't be friends unless they are gay. I thought everyone learned that in elementary school?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

chaleski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-P0m0M_8pc

and yes the creators absolutely know what they are doing, its 2021, most of crew doing these things grew up in anime fandom

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Before i go into detail why i like this show, i want to praise my favourite scene

When Jinx lights the blue fllare to call for Vi - and she really actually appeared! Any other show would have Vi tragically no-show and Jinx driven further into madness. How it actually played out was just so pleasant :3:

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
It's amusing to watch the show with subtitles since they often tend to state the name of whoever's speaking. "My name is...Viktor" isn't really dramatic when the subtitles already told me that 15 minutes ago.

While watching the first batch of episodes I kept wondering if someone in the cast would be turned into Mundo what with all that purple hulk juice floating around. When Vander landed half dead in the pile of it I thought he would end up becoming Mundo but nah.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Njashi9 posted:

It's amusing to watch the show with subtitles since they often tend to state the name of whoever's speaking. "My name is...Viktor" isn't really dramatic when the subtitles already told me that 15 minutes ago.

While watching the first batch of episodes I kept wondering if someone in the cast would be turned into Mundo what with all that purple hulk juice floating around. When Vander landed half dead in the pile of it I thought he would end up becoming Mundo but nah.

The current theory going around is that Vander is Warwick

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Heimerdinger’s pet poro was the best part of the arc. Especially its angry bark at Viktor.

Macaluso posted:

The current theory going around is that Vander is Warwick
He’s either Warwick or Mundo but I’m leaning towards Warwick as well. I would pop huge if my unkillable wolf lad showed up at the end.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 14, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Njashi9 posted:

I think the subtitles spoiled Singed earlier too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

njsykora posted:

Heimerdinger’s pet poro was the best part of the arc. Especially its angry bark at Viktor.

He’s either Warwick or Mundo but I’m leaning towards Warwick as well. I would pop huge if my unkillable wolf lad showed up at the end.

Warwick has voice lines for Vi and Jinx in game and Vander's backstory is very close to Warwick's on League's site so that feels like a safe bet.